CDZ Homophobic People Often Have Psychological Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section
The title of your thread was a personal attack against normal straight people who don't like queers.

Deal with it........ :cool:
The title comes from the article, which is not an 'attack' on anyone.

Bullshit. The very first word is an attack.
The term homophobic is not an attack word. It is a word that is well known and understood in modern psychology.

It is well known and understood in modern psychology that phobias cause dysfunction. What you refer to is functioning people disagreeing with the homosexual lifestyle. It is NOT a scientific definition of phobia ... not even close. That's why literature says
Didn't get past the first word.

Why do people (falsely) assume that because someone isn't for ssm or doesn't understand (for lack of a better word) the homosexual lifestyle that they somehow fear and/or hate homosexuals? It is pushed that opposing viewpoints must be tolerated, we must be diverse and accepting of all especially of those who we don't see eye to eye with, and yet all I see is bashing of those who do not view homosexuality the same as you.

I'm so over all the bullshit. Not everyone views things the same. That does not make them haters or afraid, that does not make you right/them wrong or vice versa. Try practicing what your preach. Deal with it or bugger off.
According to the study, people's basic mental health was surveyed along with their attitude toward homosexuality. It has nothing to do with making assumptions.

According to the first word in the article, those who do not adhere to 'all things homosexual' are afraid and/or haters of homosexuals.

Talk about making assumptions.

You said you didn't get past the first word and then YOU made assumptions that were incorrect.

Its very telling that some are very threatened by a civil conversation about this. It proves the OP is correct.

So the use of the term 'homophobe' does NOT mean that you guys believe that anyone who does not understand (for lack of a better word) the homosexual lifestyle is either afraid and/or a hater of homosexuals? Cause that's sure how you guys mean it when you use the term.
The issue is that you don't believe you fear something that is not danger to you. The study shows that people who are uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality do fear it and have personality disorders.

This is a lie. Every scientific and medical source I've found says homophobia is NOT a phobia at all. Phobias, by definition, cause dysfunction. Those labeled homophobic; however, are quite funtional. Medical and scientific literature even states that the term is "broad and has come to encompass those in disagreement."

The term is inflammatory (intentionally) and is designed to shame those in disagreement. Medical professionals admit it is not a phobia at all and is often rooted in disgust rather than fear. It is not debilitating, does not cause anxiety or increased heart rate or inability to move (freezing in fear) or any of the 9 symptoms of phobia.

Please point me to the medical diagnosis "homophobia" and its symptoms and accepted treatments. Then we may cleanly debate it. I suspect your usage of the term is much broader than the actual definition.

People that don't like me are NOT treshaphobic. Labeling them such is namecalling, no?

The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section
The title of your thread was a personal attack against normal straight people who don't like queers.

The term homophobic is not an attack word. It is a word that is well known and understood in modern psychology.

It is well known and understood in modern psychology that phobias cause dysfunction. What you refer to is functioning people disagreeing with the homosexual lifestyle. It is NOT a scientific definition of phobia ... not even close. That's why literature says
According to the study, people's basic mental health was surveyed along with their attitude toward homosexuality. It has nothing to do with making assumptions.

According to the first word in the article, those who do not adhere to 'all things homosexual' are afraid and/or haters of homosexuals.

You said you didn't get past the first word and then YOU made assumptions that were incorrect.

Its very telling that some are very threatened by a civil conversation about this. It proves the OP is correct.

So the use of the term 'homophobe' does NOT mean that you guys believe that anyone who does not understand (for lack of a better word) the homosexual lifestyle is either afraid and/or a hater of homosexuals? Cause that's sure how you guys mean it when you use the term.
The issue is that you don't believe you fear something that is not danger to you. The study shows that people who are uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality do fear it and have personality disorders.

This is a lie. Every scientific and medical source I've found says homophobia is NOT a phobia at all. Phobias, by definition, cause dysfunction. Those labeled homophobic; however, are quite funtional. Medical and scientific literature even states that the term is "broad and has come to encompass those in disagreement."

The term is inflammatory (intentionally) and is designed to shame those in disagreement. Medical professionals admit it is not a phobia at all and is often rooted in disgust rather than fear. It is not debilitating, does not cause anxiety or increased heart rate or inability to move (freezing in fear) or any of the 9 symptoms of phobia.

Please point me to the medical diagnosis "homophobia" and its symptoms and accepted treatments. Then we may cleanly debate it. I suspect your usage of the term is much broader than the actual definition.

People that don't like me are NOT treshaphobic. Labeling them such is namecalling, no?

If you read the article it explains that those who are homophobic suffer from various types of dysfunctions.

If you read the article it explains that those who are homophobic suffer from various types of dysfunctions.

Dysfunctional has an actual meaning and actual syptoms. The way "dysfunction" is used here is intentionally incorrect and inflammatory. If we go by this "dysfuntion," homophobes suffer fewer dysfuntions than homosexuals. Do you believe homosexuals are dysfuntional? Not the majority of those I know.

"Homophobic".

No ones afraid of Homos. Liberals and Homos just use that phrase because they cant take any criticism.

Dysfunctional has an actual meaning and actual syptoms. The way "dysfunction" is used here is intentionally incorrect and inflammatory. If we go by this "dysfuntion," homophobes suffer fewer dysfuntions than homosexuals. Do you believe homosexuals are dysfuntional? Not the majority of those I know.

From the OP;

"Homophobic attitudes may say a lot about the person who holds them, new research suggests.

A new study of university students in Italy revealed that people who have strongly negative views of gay people also have higher levels of psychoticism and inappropriate coping mechanisms than those who are accepting of homosexuality."

"Overall, the better the mental health of the person (based on the responses to the questionnaire), the less likely he or she was to be homophobic, the researchers found."​

People with good mental health are not homophobic.

Dysfunctional people, i.e. those who behavior is outside of social norms, are homophobic.

People with "fearful-avoidant" attachment styles, who tend to feel uncomfortable in close relationships with others, were significantly more homophobic than those who were secure with close relationships. The researchers also found that people with higher levels of immature defense mechanisms were more homophobic than those with mature defense mechanisms.

High levels of hostility and anger, measured as psychoticism, were also linked to homophobia, the researchers found.​

This thread already demonstrates "high levels of hostility and anger" from those who are homophobic.

Since this is the CDZ they are behaving outside of the social norms for this forum. Yes, they do the same throughout USMB and in society in general.

The OP article explains that this can be measured as psychoticism.

From the OP;

"Homophobic attitudes may say a lot about the person who holds them, new research suggests.

A new study of university students in Italy revealed that people who have strongly negative views of gay people also have higher levels of psychoticism and inappropriate coping mechanisms than those who are accepting of homosexuality."

"Overall, the better the mental health of the person (based on the responses to the questionnaire), the less likely he or she was to be homophobic, the researchers found."​

Dysfunctional people, i.e. those who behavior is outside of social norms, are homophobic.

People with "fearful-avoidant" attachment styles, who tend to feel uncomfortable in close relationships with others, were significantly more homophobic than those who were secure with close relationships. The researchers also found that people with higher levels of immature defense mechanisms were more homophobic than those with mature defense mechanisms.

High levels of hostility and anger, measured as psychoticism, were also linked to homophobia, the researchers found.​

This thread already demonstrates "high levels of hostility and anger" from those who are homophobic.

Since this is the CDZ they are behaving outside of the social norms for this forum. Yes, they do the same throughout USMB and in society in general.

My God this world.

Twenty years ago homosexuality was considered a mental disease, now thinking its gross is.

From the OP;

My God this world.

Twenty years ago homosexuality was considered a mental disease, now thinking its gross is.

Are white supremacists mentally stable in your opinion?

The author is a yoga instructor and meditationalist. I'll stick with medical definitions

About Stephanie Pappas Author and Yoga Teacher

The "study" (at least they didn't pretend it was an experiment) does nothing to prove causation, does nothing to limit variables and does not even define the terminology used. It was a survey. They found people with dysfunctional traits. We all have them. Did they survey people who agreed with them to determine their levels of hostility and anger? No. Do you think homosexuals can be hostile or angry? At the same rate as heterosexuals? Now there's a "study" you wont see from a yoga instructor or meditationalist.

I am anti-rude and pro-privacy. I don't care who one has sex with. Neither side should be able to use false terms to bash the other side. Words have meaning. Use them correctly rather than as an emotional sledgehammer.

If I call a pro-choice person a neonatalphobic and cite an article that uses same, how long before it gets moved from CDZ? If homophobia is a legal medical diagnosis, it can be used as a defence in legal proceedings. I'm glad gay panic defense has largely died on the vine and am not interested in its revival. Rhetoric has consequences.

["Derideo_Te, post: 12309105, member: 42916"]

From the OP;

The OP article explains that this can be measured as psychoticism.[/QUOTE]

I'm not interested in

From the OP;

The author is a yoga instructor and meditationalist.

No, she isn't!

The link to the original article in Live Science.

Homophobic People Often Have Psychological Issues

The author bio at the bottom of the article;

Author Bio
StephaniePappasLS.jpg

Stephanie Pappas
Stephanie interned as a science writer at Stanford University Medical School, and also interned at ScienceNow magazine and the Santa Cruz Sentinel. She has a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of South Carolina and a graduate certificate in science writing from the University of California, Santa Cruz.​

Your attempt to demean the credibility of the source has failed.

I will admit that I do fear homosexuals.

I don't want a homo waiter serving or touching my food at a restaurant. Many of them are disease ridden and infected with STD's and AIDS.

I don't want a homo watching my kids at the daycare. Homos are known to have a propensity to be pedophiles. Well above the national average.

Every person convicted in the last several decades in the US for cannibalism has been a homosexual. ..... :eek-52:

Well, it certainly doesn't help that people are so incredibly ignorant about homosexuality.

And, the most ignorant are also the least willing or able to educate themselves.

I binged "author stephanie pappas" and hit the first link. If that's not her, my apologies. I didn't think it would be a common name among authors.

author stephanie pappas - Bing

You have no idea my intent so don't presume to know. I did not attack you and would appreciate the same in the CDZ.

No, she isn't!

Author Bio
StephaniePappasLS.jpg

Stephanie Pappas
Stephanie interned as a science writer at Stanford University Medical School, and also interned at ScienceNow magazine and the Santa Cruz Sentinel. She has a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of South Carolina and a graduate certificate in science writing from the University of California, Santa Cruz.​

From the OP;

My God this world.

No, the ignorance was shifting well before 20 years ago.

Back in the 60s-70s, it was well known that many soldiers were gay and no one cared. I can remember gays stationed at Lowry AFB, including a CO and it simply was not a concern. Gays have always served their country and always will.

We've dumbed down quite a lot since then, and that can ALL be blamed on fundie religions, including radical Muslims. The pendulum WILL swing back the other way and even the mindless haters will realize that that there are NO homosexual "issues" - that they are all human rights issues.

I do think its an interesting phenomenon that so-called "christin" religions are actually much more like the most backward and radical religions from countries that routinely deny basic human rights. Whether its gays, women, the elderly, handicapped, children - the fundies want sharia law.

I binged "author stephanie pappas" and hit the first link. If that's not her, my apologies. I didn't think it would be a common name among authors.

You have no idea my intent so don't presume to know. I did not attack you and would appreciate the same in the CDZ.

No, she isn't!

Author Bio
StephaniePappasLS.jpg

Stephanie Pappas

What I posted was not an attack on you.

It was a factual statement about what you posted.

You attacked her as being "unqualified" (falsely) and you attacked the article.

What you failed to do was to actually refute any of the findings in the study.

From the OP;

My God this world.

No, the ignorance was shifting well before 20 years ago.

Back in the 60s-70s, it was well known that many soldiers were gay and no one cared. I can remember gays stationed at Lowry AFB, including a CO and it simply was not a concern. Gays have always served their country and always will.

We've dumbed down quite a lot since then, and that can ALL be blamed on fundie religions, including radical Muslims. The pendulum WILL swing back the other way and even the mindless haters will realize that that there are NO homosexual "issues" - that they are all human rights issues.

I do think its an interesting phenomenon that so-called "christin" religions are actually much more like the most backward and radical religions from countries that routinely deny basic human rights. Whether its gays, women, the elderly, handicapped, children - the fundies want sharia law.
I fully agree with you about there is no such thing as "homosexual issues"

The issue is simply one of freedom. Even if you think homosexuality is a perversion and a sin, so what? We have people being perverts and sinners everyday in this country. Does being homosexual somehow make it different? No, as long as they aren't harming another person's rights (IE forcing someone to do business with them) they should be left alone.

But I did address it. You ignored that part and did not answer my direct questions. It is NOT a phobia but you attempt to label it as such. Maybe, if you stretch it, it could be a syndrome ... but not a phobia. My issue is intentionally pretending it is a medical diagnosis/pathology when it is not. Terms like "anger and hostility" do not mean dysfunction.

I also take issue with the implication that homophobes are actually homosexual, but that's the fault of heterosexuals. If homophobes are actually latent homosexuals, then it is an issue of homosexuals hating themselves and each other, not a matter of heterosexuals hating or fearing homosexuals.

There are so many problems with pretending this is a disease or insanity. Phobics get disability, you know? Phobics are not legally responsible for their actions as it is uncontrollable (akin to OCD). Do we really need to go there just to call people names?

No, she isn't!

Author Bio
StephaniePappasLS.jpg

Stephanie Pappas

But I did address it. You ignored that part and did not answer my direct questions. It is NOT a phobia but you attempt to label it as such. Maybe, if you stretch it, it could be a syndrome ... but not a phobia. My issue is intentionally pretending it is a medical diagnosis/pathology when it is not. Terms like "anger and hostility" do not mean dysfunction.

I also take issue with the implication that homophobes are actually homosexual, but that's the fault of heterosexuals. If homophobes are actually latent homosexuals, then it is an issue of homosexuals hating themselves and each other, not a matter of heterosexuals hating or fearing homosexuals.

There are so many problems with pretending this is a disease or insanity. Phobics get disability, you know? Phobics are not legally responsible for their actions as it is uncontrollable (akin to OCD). Do we really need to go there just to call people names?

No, she isn't!

Author Bio
StephaniePappasLS.jpg

Stephanie Pappas

No, you didn't address it, you personalized it.

Let me ask you these questions before I address your post above.

Are racism and bigotry "normal"?

Are white supremacists "normal"?

You started an attack thread on "homophobes" and are surprised at backlash? Homophobe is a word made up by a gay activist, nobody fears homosexuals

There is no attack. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back