Horror at largest solar farm in Mojave Desert frys birds flying over

they don't really care about animals...just like they don't really care about children or they wouldn't support abortion....it's just all lip service and like everything they do

do as I say not as I do

these people are twisted and evil yet they will wail over animals and oil

Might I point out that the temperatures over this vast array of mirrors aren't the least bit extraordinary till you close in on the top of the tower. Flying over the mirrors or - as FCT suggests - down to the mirrors thinking they are water, will harm NOTHING. I can't recall who suggested the system would be a risk to aircraft, but, jesus people, put on your thinking caps for at least a few minutes a day.

We do think several minutes a day.. That's the diff.. There are ACRES of flyspace around the tower where concentrated energy will FRY or BLIND any bird that flies through. The beam is probably HUNDREDS of degrees for a quarter of the air volume of the beam area.

power-tower2-300x300.jpg

Might I point out that the temperatures over this vast array of mirrors aren't the least bit extraordinary till you close in on the top of the tower. Flying over the mirrors or - as FCT suggests - down to the mirrors thinking they are water, will harm NOTHING. I can't recall who suggested the system would be a risk to aircraft, but, jesus people, put on your thinking caps for at least a few minutes a day.

We do think several minutes a day.. That's the diff.. There are ACRES of flyspace around the tower where concentrated energy will FRY or BLIND any bird that flies through. The beam is probably HUNDREDS of degrees for a quarter of the air volume of the beam area.

power-tower2-300x300.jpg

Think of the military options we could use this weapon for...Any invading air force = boom!

When the rightie kooks show some concern over the thousands of glass-paned office buildings that kill birds by the millions, then people might start paying attention to their hysterical hypocrisy. As usual, consistency points to the liberals for not going hysterical over either case.

At least they aren't claiming the buildings are saving the environment while doing it.

I want to know why liberals are giving "big green" or should we call it "big renewables" a pass?

Why was this solar plant allowed to build in this very sensitive ecosystem? Why have the wind farms been allowed to build and operate in migratory paths?

In my mind human civilization comes first and green energy's biggest benefit is it is CLEAN. Clean by the fact that it produces next to zero air pollution that takes years off of peoples lives.

Billions of birds die because of our civilization every year.

Tell you what then Matthew. You and like minded individuals should go to California and go dynamite fishing for Delta Smelt. Just put an end to the species so farmers in California can have water.

Give 'er kid! Go wipe out the little bastards once and for all.

:lol:

You're no conservationist or environmentalist.

That is your line, Tiny. In reality y6u care nothing for the birds, just another hook to hang your very Conservative views on. I have yet to see you post anything about the number of birds that the mining of the Canadian Tar Sands is killing.

In my mind human civilization comes first and green energy's biggest benefit is it is CLEAN. Clean by the fact that it produces next to zero air pollution that takes years off of peoples lives.

Billions of birds die because of our civilization every year.

Tell you what then Matthew. You and like minded individuals should go to California and go dynamite fishing for Delta Smelt. Just put an end to the species so farmers in California can have water.

Give 'er kid! Go wipe out the little bastards once and for all.

:lol:

You're no conservationist or environmentalist.

That is your line, Tiny. In reality y6u care nothing for the birds, just another hook to hang your very Conservative views on. I have yet to see you post anything about the number of birds that the mining of the Canadian Tar Sands is killing.

Go post it for us GoldiRocks. Then tell us how they got the permit, what they are spending on mitigation and the death toll..

Far as I can tell, by reading the BLM assessment, the IVanPah solar thermal waltz thru with all of the concerns focused on the desert tortoise. Nobody ever studied the death zone around the tower from what I can find..

Go live and work underground.

Enviro-nuts have a litany of 'acceptable" risks associated with the Green movement, yet give ZERO ground to even the most minimal of risks associated with hydrocarbons.

Conversely, pollution-lovers are always saying that the benefits of oil production outweigh the risks to wildlife. So...

Syn, with all due respect I don't know one Canuck who is in favor of risking the environment or its inhabitants be they feathered or furry for oil production.

That's why we have such strict environmental regulations AND this is a biggie strict enforcement of those regulations.

That's because Canada is run by sensible adults who put their country's interests ahead of corporate interests, and don't have a fringe extremist faction of know-nothing Right-Wingers who would rather have exploding fertilizer factories, chemically-tainted water, and coal ash polluted rivers than ANY regulations.

Do you have the same outrage over pipelines that disrupt migratory routes? Or fish habitats destroyed by industrial pollution? They're called "Green" energy sources because they have less environmental impact and therefore negatively affect the least number of species, not just humans.Let's see some real tears over this crises;

THE EXTINCTION CRISIS
It’s frightening but true: Our planet is now in the midst of its sixth mass extinction of plants and animals — the sixth wave of extinctions in the past half-billion years. We’re currently experiencing the worst spate of species die-offs since the loss of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Although extinction is a natural phenomenon, it occurs at a natural “background” rate of about one to five species per year. Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day [1]. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century [2].

Unlike past mass extinctions, caused by events like asteroid strikes, volcanic eruptions, and natural climate shifts, the current crisis is almost entirely caused by us — humans.

LINK:Time to act, not politicize

Do you have the same outrage over pipelines that disrupt migratory routes? Or fish habitats destroyed by industrial pollution? They're called "Green" energy sources because they have less environmental impact and therefore negatively affect the least number of species, not just humans.Let's see some real tears over this crises;

THE EXTINCTION CRISIS
It’s frightening but true: Our planet is now in the midst of its sixth mass extinction of plants and animals — the sixth wave of extinctions in the past half-billion years. We’re currently experiencing the worst spate of species die-offs since the loss of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Although extinction is a natural phenomenon, it occurs at a natural “background” rate of about one to five species per year. Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day [1]. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century [2].

Unlike past mass extinctions, caused by events like asteroid strikes, volcanic eruptions, and natural climate shifts, the current crisis is almost entirely caused by us — humans.

No, it's not. Thousands of new species are being found every year. Hardly the definition of "mass extinction". Go peddle your propaganda some place else.

"On remote forest tree-tops and in deep Arctic oceans, researchers spotted and identified a varied collection of new species in 2013. Among them: a "cocoa frog" from Suriname, a shark that walks, and a tarantula the size of a dinner plate.

Though this year’s haul of new species runs into the thousands, researchers estimate that there are about 8 million species still unidentified by science skulking in remote corners of the world, and sometimes hiding out right under scientists' noses.

And that’s not including most of the microbial world. "When you throw in the bacteria and archaea and cyanobacteria and those early groups, all bets are off," Quentin Wheeler, incoming president of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, and founder of the International Institute for Species Exploration, told NBC News.

Science is catching up with Mother Nature — but slowly. About 18,000 species are discovered every year, and as of 2013, "we’re fast approaching 2 million named things," Wheeler said.

Yearly tallies of new species follow a predictable trend: "Bucketloads of insects is always a safe bet!" Wheeler said. Half the newly named animals are insects or related arthropods — which makes sense because insects are the most populous group on the planet. They’re also pretty darn small.

But this year held some big surprises, too. An oncilla — a South American wildcat — and a 240-lb tapir — a relative of rhinos and horses — were among the new species recognized by science.

"A 300 lb mammal running around unrecognized is pretty amazing," Wheeler said, adding that if we can still find large, new mammals, "There is hope in every group."

The scientific name for the olinguito, Bassaricyon neblina, comes from the Spanish word for fog."

Ode to Gaborn: 18,000 new animal species discovered every year - NeoGAF

Of course new species are being "found" all the time. That has no bearing on the simple math of species becoming extinct vs new species "evolving"

"For the first time since the dinosaurs disappeared, humans are driving animals and plants to extinction faster than new species can evolve, one of the world's experts on biodiversity has warned.

Conservation experts have already signalled that the world is in the grip of the "sixth great extinction" of species, driven by the destruction of natural habitats, hunting, the spread of alien predators and disease, and climate change.

However until recently it has been hoped that the rate at which new species were evolving could keep pace with the loss of diversity of life.

Speaking in advance of two reports next week on the state of wildlife in Britain and Europe, Simon Stuart, chair of the Species Survival Commission for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature – the body which officially declares species threatened and extinct – said that point had now "almost certainly" been crossed.

"Measuring the rate at which new species evolve is difficult, but there's no question that the current extinction rates are faster than that; I think it's inevitable," said Stuart.

P.S. So go peddle your ignorance somewhere else.

Last edited:

THE EXTINCTION CRISIS

:cuckoo:

you've never been to Alaska and seen the pipe line there, have you?
It DISRUPTS no animals like this field of mirrors burning birds

Last edited:
When the rightie kooks show some concern over the thousands of glass-paned office buildings that kill birds by the millions, then people might start paying attention to their hysterical hypocrisy. As usual, consistency points to the liberals for not going hysterical over either case.

damn, beat me Two it.

I wanted to post that some moron would say it's different or point to something else as an excuse for evil.

but you were Two quick for me.

oh, fyi; Giant glass buildings are in cities, cities are run by dems. You and the retards that thanked you are just that fucking dumb.

How the heck did no one think of this???
I do not know enough about solar panel reflectiveness myself, but I would assume those building this....would.
And if they did.....
Then birds would be a problem...but what about an airplane?

Yeah really. Makes you wonder why no interminable environmental impact studies were conducted before inflicting this atrocity of human "ingenuity" on the environment. But wait, the concept is one of the liberal-leftist, environmental terrorist pet projects. Nothing can go wrong, it's perfect and will save the world.

Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain...

The diversionary tactics of a three-year-old: "Bobby does it, so I should be able to, too!". Two wrongs don't make a right, child. Or did your keepers never explain that to you?

I suspect birds are killed by various things, including windows and trucks.

Solar energy is a worthy endeavor. No endeavor is without some drawback.

For me, it isn't whether an endeavor is worthy, or not. It is the blatant, bald-faced hypocrisy with which on endeavor is declared the impending end of the world, and another, equally damaging endeavor is hailed as a miracle of technology, sent from "on high" to save us all.

Beat me to it.

It's also interesting to point out they generally have a good laugh over animals that suffer during oil spills.

And remember the controversy over the Spotted Owl?

Zero conservatives were in favor of saving them.

Just like your type are pooh-poohing the wholesale murder of millions of birds and the destruction of sensitive habitat for untold endangered or threatened species..as long as it fits into your immoral agenda to force everyone else to kowtow to your stupid, unsustainable fantasies.

THE EXTINCTION CRISIS

:cuckoo:

you've never been to Alaska and seen the pipe line there, have you?
It DISRUPTS no animals like this field of mirrors burning birds

Boy, have you gotten that right! Not only does it not disrupt migration routes (in part because of the way it was designed and constructed), many animals seem to prefer hanging around. The pipeline is heated, you see. Otherwise, all that crude oil would not pass as freely through the pipes. The animals are savvy enough to understand this and are often seen using those heated lines. But, hell, why mess up a good liberal myth?

Attachments

• $brown bear pipeline.jpg
    $brown bear pipeline.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 57
  • $CARIBOU_GIF.jpg
    $CARIBOU_GIF.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 63
What we need is a kind of turbine that you can put in the path of liberals as they swarm to protest meetings. Use the power of their spin to spin the turbines and produce electricity for those who stay at home watching television like God intended.

Forum List

Back