Hospital removing transplant patients for being unvaxxed

Driving to work in a car where brakes may not work is not safe. False conflation. My kids don’t need the vaccine to go to school. And even the FDA is not sure they are safe. I cannot teleport to work.
I was making a simple point that nothing is 100% safe. I understand that there are risks with a new drug. All I'm saying is consult your doctor. If you are healthy and your doctor recommends you take the vaccine then why wouldn't you take it?

I was making a simple point that nothing is 100% safe. I understand that there are risks with a new drug. All I'm saying is consult your doctor. If you are healthy and your doctor recommends you take the vaccine then why wouldn't you take it?
I am Speaking about my kids not me. My MD stated I do not need the vaccine as I have the antibodies but I will likely still get a booster.

The hospital can't do that. Here's how the match works. A donor is identified. That means someone is in that perfect state where they are brain dead but their organs have not yet shut down. The patient's doctor (whose job is to keep the patient alive and who has obtained proof that the patient is a donor and no family member is opposing) signals the transplant team (whose job is to harvest the organs) that the patient is ready for donation. The team rushes in, splits the body open and pours in ice. This is to rapidly cool the organs to slow decay. At the same time, they draw blood, a lot of blood, and run a lot of tests on the chemistry. When they have the results, someone goes to the UNOS website, enters the patient's information, and clicks "run match". Within a few seconds (up to a minute for kidneys), the entire database of waiting patients is sorted and matched to the organ. It's all automated. I know, I've run it myself to test performance enhancements. Then notifications start going out, with the best match going first. The recipient's doctor looks at the images and the blood work, and decides to accept or reject the organ(s). There are up to 7 for every donor, and they added faces to list right before I left. If the doctor accepts, the organ is boxed, labels are printed and stuck to the box, FedEx shows up and takes the organ to the recipient's hospital, where, if all has gone well, the patient is already in surgery with his body open.

1. A hospital can't change the match. Any changes have to be proposed to the board, which then deliberates and instructs UNOS on what changes to make. A hospital or doctor CAN refuse to accept donor organs from certain type of people, based on the wishes of the patient, And yes, a racist could refuse an organ from someone of a different skin color. Dumb, but they can.
2. An individual hospital doesn't even change the criteria used by the OPO to accept patients on the list. An OPO is larger than just one hospital.
3. The only thing a hospital really can do is refuse to put any unvaccinated patients that come to them on the list, and I'm not even really sure about that. They couldn't, however, prevent another hospital from doing so.

The transplant matching process is heavily regulated and monitored, and individual hospitals are somewhat limited in what they can and can't do. If they have a transplant program, they agree to work within the bounds of the system. There are ways to game the system, for example, registering in more than one OPO. You'd better be ready to travel long distances, though.
yes, I believe each case is analyzed by a committee. Doctors talk to patients and the committee determines their eligibility. Apparently this guy didn't meet the committee and doctors recommended protocol.

"The safety of our patients is our primary focus and guides discussions with our patients preparing to receive a solid organ transplant knowing that they will be on medications that suppress their immune system after the transplant. Our physicians make a determination regarding vaccine recommendations and requirements, including COVID-19 vaccination, based on the risk factors of the individual patient and degree of immunosuppression they will experience. The suppression of their immune system puts them at increased risk for infections, including an increased risk for hospitalization and severe complications due to COVID-19. We also know that patients after solid organ transplant do not respond as well to the COVID-19 vaccine due to the ongoing post-transplant immunosuppression, which is why the CDC now recommends that they receive a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine. Many of these patients also have other health conditions that put them at increased risk for COVID-19, further increasing the importance of vaccination. Vaccinating patients prior to transplant increases their ability to respond to the vaccine and helps keep them safe throughout the transplant process. Patients should continue to discuss their individual risks with their doctors."

I am Speaking about my kids not me. My MD stated I do not need the vaccine as I have the antibodies but I will likely still get a booster.
Good for you... one of the smart ones actually talking to their doctor about their medical needs. Kudos!

Good for you... one of the smart ones actually talking to their doctor about their medical needs. Kudos!
You deflect and your sanctimonious response isn’t appreciated. Based on the Yahoo! Article how can they claim the vaccines are safe for kids when we don’t know the long term effects on their hearts?

I'm just average. It just seems that way from your perspective.
Take some advice from your namesake and stop embarrassing yourself:

I'm not embarrassed in the least. I'll tell Uncle Noddy you say hello ;-)

You deflect and your sanctimonious response isn’t appreciated. Based on the Yahoo! Article how can they claim the vaccines are safe for kids when we don’t know the long term effects on their hearts?
I was being sincere. For the life of me I don't understand why these anti vax people aren't just talking to their doctors. They let politics and media and internet research drive their medical opinions... morons.

I was being sincere. For the life of me I don't understand why these anti vax people aren't just talking to their doctors. They let politics and media and internet research drive their medical opinions... morons.
I did and my MD says I do not need it but the media won’t let it go.

And do you think Doctors are requiring those who are at a health risk of taking it to take it?

Yes, one cardiac patient for sure was removed because he felt the vaccine has a good chance to kill him.

As a cardiac patient myself, I would have done the same. You get a clot, as the vaccine is prone to cause, and you die.

Yes, one cardiac patient for sure was removed because he felt the vaccine has a good chance to kill him.

As a cardiac patient myself, I would have done the same. You get a clot, as the vaccine is prone to cause, and you die.
The patient thought the vaccine would kill him? Was the patient a doctor? Where was the patient getting that belief from?

Forum List

Back