House Defeats Amendment to Stop NSA Spying on Americans

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
So, more Republicans voted against it. I'm sure Democrats will still talk about how it's okay and legal, and Republicans will still say it's all Obama's fault.

Even though I knew it wouldn't pass I'm still angry over this. Today's vote in the House on the Amash amendment to stop NSA spying on Americans demonstrated clearly that Republicans and Democrats hate your civil liberties so why do you keep voting for them?

House rejects effort to curb NSA surveillance powers, 205-217 - The Hill's DEFCON Hill

Here is the roll call vote

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll412.xml

Good question. Of course I haven't voted FOR my Rethug Congressman for the past three elections.

And I did read of a poll that showed 57% of us Americans (highest ever) would remove ALL CONgress critters and replace them with rookies. Or a box of rocks. jk,

That's a good sign imo.

Even though I knew it wouldn't pass I'm still angry over this. Today's vote in the House on the Amash amendment to stop NSA spying on Americans demonstrated clearly that Republicans and Democrats hate your civil liberties so why do you keep voting for them?

House rejects effort to curb NSA surveillance powers, 205-217 - The Hill's DEFCON Hill

Because they are authoritarians who do not wish to live as free men?

why the heck 12 assholes did not vote?

I am angry at the result, but at least those who voted did show what they stand for.

These 12 assholes who hide behind the "not voting" are the worst:

Barletta
Beatty
Bustos
Campbell
Coble
Herrera Beutler
Horsford
McCarthy (NY)
Negrete McLeod
Pallone
Rokita
Schock

Those are evenly divided - 6 dems and 6 reps

Last edited:
Today's vote in the House on the Amash amendment to stop NSA spying on Americans demonstrated clearly that Republicans and Democrats hate your civil liberties so why do you keep voting for them?

Because third parties are a joke (when they aren't outright nuts) and when they aren't, the laws are rewritten to keep them marginalized at vote time, and the GOP and Dem establishment fight tooth and nail to keep reformers off of the ticket.

If you look through the list you will see that rookies voted yes mostly and noes were from the old stinkers( from both sides)

Last edited:

Given the fact the surveillance programs are both legal and Constitutional, it’s inaccurate hyperbole to claim republicans and democrats ‘hate’ Americans’ civil liberties.

The amendment was defeated in accordance with the will of the American people, as it was the people who authorized the surveillance programs, expressed by their elected representatives in Congress. And the courts administer the program in accordance with the Constitution and its case law.

It’s naïve, therefore, to ‘blame’ Congress, the president, or the courts.

Any American honest with himself knows exactly where to place the blame.

Good question. Of course I haven't voted FOR my Rethug Congressman for the past three elections.

And I did read of a poll that showed 57% of us Americans (highest ever) would remove ALL CONgress critters and replace them with rookies. Or a box of rocks. jk,

That's a good sign imo.

The voters had their chance less than 9 months ago to boot every House member and several Senators. I think at the time of the election, Congress's approval rating was just above 10%. In the end most were re-elected!
So the voting public talked the talk but didn't walk the walk.
This is what we get because voters think they can only vote for a Dem or Repug and third parties will never win. With that ignorance, we'll be stuck in an endless circle and our country will never do the right thing and move forward.

Yes, I do. As the great George Carlin once said "Maybe it isn't the politicians fault. Maybe it's the public." Sometimes I hope the average American voter would just walk into the ocean.

I didn't even know this vote was taking place, I figured for sure my rep would be on the right side.

I'd actually like to read the bill though. Since that complete lunatic Alan Grayson voted in favor of it, there has to be something wrong with it.

I didn't even know this vote was taking place, I figured for sure my rep would be on the right side.

I'd actually like to read the bill though. Since that complete lunatic Alan Grayson voted in favor of it, there has to be something wrong with it.

well, he is certainly not more lunatic than pelosi or wasswerman-schultz who voted against it.

111 dems and 94 pubs were heroes. If your rep voted against the amendment, this is enough for you to vote against that rep next year, no ifs ands or buts.

111 dems and 94 pubs were heroes. If your rep voted against the amendment, this is enough for you to vote against that rep next year, no ifs ands or buts.

Time for us to encrypt all of our communications and data to a level that the scum bags can't decipher.

Given the fact the surveillance programs are both legal and Constitutional, it’s inaccurate hyperbole to claim republicans and democrats ‘hate’ Americans’ civil liberties.

The amendment was defeated in accordance with the will of the American people, as it was the people who authorized the surveillance programs, expressed by their elected representatives in Congress. And the courts administer the program in accordance with the Constitution and its case law.

It’s naïve, therefore, to ‘blame’ Congress, the president, or the courts.

Not according to FISC rulings. The spying in blanket is "not in the spirit of the law" and a "violation of the fourth amendment to reasonable search and seizure". The NSA is acting criminally and the house just implicated themselves by not stopping them.

Well mine won't get a vote from me again,they all will disappoint you on somethings,but this is intolerable.

What did you think was going to happen? ROFLMAO.

well, if some of the idiots were smart enough, they would vote for it ( I wouldbet some, who voted for it, actually did it exactly based on this calculation) with a safe bet that it won't pass the Senate and even IF, it would be vetoed by obama.

Forum List

Back