House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

His "rule" isn't about mental illness (much less severe mental illness) it's about finances. Should SS or the VA have the authority to strip someone of their Constitutional rights according to their own standards? Obviously not.

This is seriously fucked up.

House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

According to NPR's Susan Davis, the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the repeal, and Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process.

Supporters of the rule argued it was designed to stop mentally ill persons from getting firearms.

"The House charged ahead with an extreme, hastily written, one-sided measure that would make the American people less safe," Rep. Elizabeth Esty, D-Conn., said, according to The Hill. Esty represents Newtown, Conn., where a mentally ill man shot and killed 20 six- and seven-year-olds and six adults.

As it was written, it was too broad and took away rights from people who posed no danger. People have a right to protect themselves and this law was intended to strip rights on a wide scale. And the left found ways to paint everyone as mentally ill. Depressed over the loss of a loved one? You're mentally unstable.

I wonder if all those rioters in the streets who are beating up innocent people and calling for a bloody revolution should have their rights denied. They are the problem with society, along with the gangs and other scum.

Ignorance. It is

ALREADY ILLEGAL

to sell every single person on this list a gun.

Nobody's rights are being taken away, except for the gun sellers right to remain ignorant.

The headline is a BLATANT LIE. The rule made it so if you were assigned by the SS that you could not handle your finances then you are somehow incompetent to own a fire arm. That is NOT severe mental illness at ALL. Get your facts straight before lying to us all.
Facts.

This order applied only to individuals receiving Social Security benefits through a Representative payee account. From the SSA website.

The law requires most minor children and all legally incompetent adults to have payees.

Social Security Administration - Representative Payee Program

These are people who have been determined by a court to be mentally defective, in other words, "adjudicated". Now, what is the definition of somewhat "dangerously mentally ill" and forbidden BY LAW from purchasing a handgun"

Dangerously Mentally Ill: Federal law prohibits firearm possession by individuals who have been “committed to a mental institution” or “adjudicated as a mental defective.”

Categories of Prohibited People | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

So again, you are defending the right of gun sellers to remain ignorant to the fact that their buyer has been adjudicated mentally defective and therefore forbidden from purchasing a gun.
They were IN FACT not judged by a court, the SS just makes the decision based on the application for ss. I am on that list because the SS when they approved my disability decided I was unable to handle my finances, no Judge no court no ruling. Your facts are simply wrong.

The headline is a BLATANT LIE. The rule made it so if you were assigned by the SS that you could not handle your finances then you are somehow incompetent to own a fire arm. That is NOT severe mental illness at ALL. Get your facts straight before lying to us all.
Facts.

This order applied only to individuals receiving Social Security benefits through a Representative payee account. From the SSA website.

The law requires most minor children and all legally incompetent adults to have payees.

These are people who have been determined by a court to be mentally defective, in other words, "adjudicated". Now, what is the definition of somewhat "dangerously mentally ill" and forbidden BY LAW from purchasing a handgun"

Dangerously Mentally Ill: Federal law prohibits firearm possession by individuals who have been “committed to a mental institution” or “adjudicated as a mental defective.”

So again, you are defending the right of gun sellers to remain ignorant to the fact that their buyer has been adjudicated mentally defective and therefore forbidden from purchasing a gun.

So the EO did what that circumvents that? He reversed oshitscumasses directive to take guns from social security recipients that were incapable of handling their finances, this mostly happens because of criminals taking advantage of THE ELDERLY. IT WAS ONLY A gungrabbing pile of dogshits way of bypassing LAWS to keep these people from being able to give their guns to their children when they died.

According to NPR's Susan Davis, the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the repeal, and Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process.

Supporters of the rule argued it was designed to stop mentally ill persons from getting firearms.

"The House charged ahead with an extreme, hastily written, one-sided measure that would make the American people less safe," Rep. Elizabeth Esty, D-Conn., said, according to The Hill. Esty represents Newtown, Conn., where a mentally ill man shot and killed 20 six- and seven-year-olds and six adults.

What a crock of intellectually dishonest crap. The asshole that shot up Sandy Hook wasn't on SSDI and didn't have an appointed trustee to handle his financial affairs. What's wrong couldn't they find an example of wrong doing out of the 75,000 effected people? BTW only a judge can rule someone sufficiently mentally ill to take away their rights.

Last edited:
In Trumpville, immigrants trying to escape death are banned from entering the US, while the mentally ill get to have guns.

Nothing to see, here, folks. Just the same old stuff.

BTW. I am a retired Chartered Financial Consultant, and thanks to the GOP, I can now legally charge you a fee to advise you to buy an investment that is not so good for you, but pays me a fat commission. I might as well get out my old republican polyester canary yellow golfing pants, and get back into the game!

Same old lies stretches and liberal talking points huffaturd post bullshit. Dumbasses incorporated working for soros country destruction crews.

But remember, their argument is "Gun's Don't Kill" ..yeah right!

My neighbor of 18 years wife left him , police were suppose to collect the gun from him because he was mentally unstable...well some how he got a gun and murdered his 24 year old son visiting him...he tried to get his daughter to visit the same night..
He then killed himself.

These fuc*#ing paid off people passing laws are making millions from the NRA I am sure...
u realize you say that and then go on and back it up? Lol

I own several guns, to date none of them has killed anyone. Are my guns defective?

The Congress has been corrupted!

Every Pol accepts 'donations' and the honest ones admit they are efforts to influence them. But of course they deny the donation will have any impact on their vote, which is bullshit.

The fact is some 'donations' are much worse than a bribe, when the special interests - such as the NRA - are able to extort votes by the threat of supporting a more friendly person to oppose the incumbent in a primary. Ben Franklin was spot on when he said we have a republic, if we can keep it. Thanks to Citizens United, McCutcheon and five members of the Supreme Court, we couldn't and haven't been able to prevent the NRA from its desire to arm every person within our borders.

Welcome to the Plutocratic Oligarchy of America.

Another useless off topic post from you trying to derail the thread.

View attachment 110510

The OP is directly related to campaign finance reform and the two infamous Supreme Court (5-4) Decisions; following posts point the finger directly at the The Congress, and the Republicans who received money from the NRA. Your failure to offer proof that my comments were an effort to derail this thread are wrong, and are simply an example of your inability to think outside the box locked by your biases.

Good, the Comstituion should apply to all Americans who have not broken the law.

Snowflakes like to prevent others from exercising their first ammendment rights.

Should there be a mental health evaluation completed for anyone attempting to exercise their first ammendment rights?

Only if they live in NYC or Hollyweird.

In Trumpville, immigrants trying to escape death are banned from entering the US, while the mentally ill get to have guns.

Nothing to see, here, folks. Just the same old stuff.

BTW. I am a retired Chartered Financial Consultant, and thanks to the GOP, I can now legally charge you a fee to advise you to buy an investment that is not so good for you, but pays me a fat commission. I might as well get out my old republican polyester canary yellow golfing pants, and get back into the game!

In obamaville, he takes away a person's right to defend himself, while he brings in hordes of muslims, a group know for causing terror where ever they emigrate to. These gun grabbers aren't worried about the safety of Americans, that's obvious.

My neighbor of 18 years wife left him , police were suppose to collect the gun from him because he was mentally unstable...well some how he got a gun and murdered his 24 year old son visiting him...he tried to get his daughter to visit the same night..
He then killed himself.

These fuc*#ing paid off people passing laws are making millions from the NRA I am sure...
u realize you say that and then go on and back it up? Lol

I own several guns, to date none of them has killed anyone. Are my guns defective?

Yup...

send them back to the factory and get some with a taste for blood.

His "rule" isn't about mental illness (much less severe mental illness) it's about finances. Should SS or the VA have the authority to strip someone of their Constitutional rights according to their own standards? Obviously not.

Duty to warn refers to the responsibility of a counselor or therapist to inform third parties or authorities if a client poses a threat to himself or herself or another identifiable individual. It is one of a just a few instances where a therapist can breach client confidentiality.

Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California, 17 Cal. 3d 425, 551 P.2d 334, 131 Cal. Rptr. 14 (Cal. 1976), was a case in which the Supreme Court of California held that mental health professionals have a duty to protect individuals who are being threatened with bodily harm by a patient.

Staree Decisis is the doctrine that rules or principles of law on which a court rested a previous decision are authoritative in all future cases in which the facts are substantially the same. ... stare decisis is, after all, the bedrock principle of the rule of law.

Food for thought ^^^

More evidence the NRA is a terrorist organization, and the fools who posted #2 & #3 above who enable the NRA to put profit over the people.
statists look for any reason to take away ones liberties.

Should criminals have guns?
Should children have guns?
Wrong rule.
Should elderly Americans have guns?
Actually they are a high risk group for predation due to their age and frailties. Consequently, they should always be armed.

Yep, we had a 92 year old woman chase 2 home invaders away with her revolver.

Facts.

"The law requires most minor children and all legally incompetent adults to have payees".

Are you trying to claim that most minor children are dangerously mentally ill and have been adjudicated mentally defective?
Do you claim that only those who have been adjudicated mentally defective have a representative payee account?

If Federal law is unconstitutional it is invalid.

Duty to warn refers to the responsibility of a counselor or therapist to inform third parties or authorities if a client poses a threat to himself or herself or another identifiable individual. It is one of a just a few instances where a therapist can breach client confidentiality.

Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California, 17 Cal. 3d 425, 551 P.2d 334, 131 Cal. Rptr. 14 (Cal. 1976), was a case in which the Supreme Court of California held that mental health professionals have a duty to protect individuals who are being threatened with bodily harm by a patient.

Staree Decisis is the doctrine that rules or principles of law on which a court rested a previous decision are authoritative in all future cases in which the facts are substantially the same. ... stare decisis is, after all, the bedrock principle of the rule of law.

Food for thought ^^^

Why quote me? Your post is totally unrelated to mine.

The problem is the SSA made the definition far to broad. Even the ACLU, no staunch defender of the 2nd amendment, opposed the rule.

Not being able to handle one's own finances as you get older does not mean the person is incompetent. For that a judge has to decide.

Before or after a harm is committed will the judge decide on the competence of the actor.

When evidence they are a danger to themselves or others is presented.

Forum List

Back