House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

More evidence the NRA is a terrorist organization, and the fools who posted #2 & #3 above who enable the NRA to put profit over the people.
statists look for any reason to take away ones liberties.
Could I please have liberty to be safe from a maniac living down the street? Without having to own an arsenal myself? What about ME? Don't my rights to safety count at all? Maybe the list isn't the right people or the right diagnosis, but in the meantime, does that mean they can go buy a gun? The federales are doing everything they can to shy away from determining particular diagnoses that are considered "dangerous." Psychiatrists are no doubt afraid to be sued if they report a patient as "dangerous," so they don't.
And I or my friend or my son get shot because some people shy from calling a nutcase a nutcase.
Okay, so how else do we keep guns from the hands of the severely mentally ill?

More evidence the NRA is a terrorist organization, and the fools who posted #2 & #3 above who enable the NRA to put profit over the people.
Could I please have liberty to be safe from a maniac living down the street? Without having to own an arsenal myself? What about ME? Don't my rights to safety count at all? Maybe the list isn't the right people or the right diagnosis, but in the meantime, does that mean they can go buy a gun? The federales are doing everything they can to shy away from determining particular diagnoses that are considered "dangerous." Psychiatrists are no doubt afraid to be sued if they report a patient as "dangerous," so they don't.
And I or my friend or my son get shot because some people shy from calling a nutcase a nutcase.
Freedom isn't free.
I think the mentally ill should receive help. That's one thing the government SHOULD be pursuing. That would actually work.
But in all fairness, gun murder from a mentally ill person are the rarity. Most gun deaths are suicide and criminals. By a YUGE margin.

So basically, you feel that biggest threat to peace in America is the Silver hair granny or the handicapped that went to a doctor to prescribe an anti-depressant?
Obama decided on his own that any solder that was on anti-depressants through the VA should have their gun-rights removed permanently.

Freedom isn't free.
I think the mentally ill should receive help. That's one thing the government SHOULD be pursuing. That would actually work.
But in all fairness, gun murder from a mentally ill person are the rarity. Most gun deaths are suicide and criminals. By a YUGE margin.

Huh? Dylan Roof? Dude, ALL of these mass shootings are committed by the mentally ill. WTF is wrong with you? You need to slap yourself upside the head.

This is seriously fucked up.

House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

According to NPR's Susan Davis, the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the repeal, and Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process.

Supporters of the rule argued it was designed to stop mentally ill persons from getting firearms.

"The House charged ahead with an extreme, hastily written, one-sided measure that would make the American people less safe," Rep. Elizabeth Esty, D-Conn., said, according to The Hill. Esty represents Newtown, Conn., where a mentally ill man shot and killed 20 six- and seven-year-olds and six adults.
I think what has escaped you is nothing Obama did was as it seems.
Obama wanted to have a backdoor rule to take away our 2nd Amendment rights.
Had Obama's crappy law been allowed to stand a simple tweak in regulations would render any Social Security recipient unable to legally have a gun to protect him or herself.

That is total ignorance. The people that were going be on the list, IT IS ALREADY ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO PURCHASE A GUN.

What part of that is hard to understand? They have been LEGALLY DETERMINED incapable of handling their personal finances. You got that? No complaint from a relative, no simple form to feel out. We are talking court hearings, a judge's signature. God but you guys are a bunch of freakin idiots. Do none of you have disabled relatives?

Want off the list. Then get the court to reverse their decision. But I swear what you guys are defending is the right of gun dealers to STAY IGNORANT about selling a gun to someone that is NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED to purchase it.

And here is the really comical part, reflecting both the utter ignorance of the right, and their total cognitive dissonance. The same people screaming about this will be lining up to sacrifice their civil liberties in order to catch the ebil terrorists. Want to look in to my bank account without a warrant, no problem. Want to prevent my crazy Uncle from buying a gun when it is illegal for him to do so--HELLS NO.

According to NPR's Susan Davis, the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the repeal, and Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process.

Supporters of the rule argued it was designed to stop mentally ill persons from getting firearms.

"The House charged ahead with an extreme, hastily written, one-sided measure that would make the American people less safe," Rep. Elizabeth Esty, D-Conn., said, according to The Hill. Esty represents Newtown, Conn., where a mentally ill man shot and killed 20 six- and seven-year-olds and six adults.

"Severely Mentally Ill"? You are a stupid fuck!

So basically, you feel that biggest threat to peace in America is the Silver hair granny or the handicapped that went to a doctor to prescribe an anti-depressant?
Obama decided on his own that any solder that was on anti-depressants through the VA should have their gun-rights removed permanently.

Your statement has no bearing whatsoever on reality. It is a total fabrication. And I got to tell you, when you have to resort to making things up out of whole cloth you are probably on the wrong side of this one.

But remember, their argument is "Gun's Don't Kill" ..yeah right!

My neighbor of 18 years wife left him , police were suppose to collect the gun from him because he was mentally unstable...well some how he got a gun and murdered his 24 year old son visiting him...he tried to get his daughter to visit the same night..
He then killed himself.

These fuc*#ing paid off people passing laws are making millions from the NRA I am sure...

The gun didn't kill them dumbass, the ex did.

I was worried that the man down the street, who abuses his wife because he is suffering from dementia, and thinks that she is trying to poison him, would not be able to purchase a gun. After all, she has called the cops to come out three times, and who could blame the man for being a little paranoid, since he thinks that they are N. Korea soldiers who are still chasing him since 1953. Now, the republicans have given him his rights back. Thanks, GOP! Luckily, I am with the Sheriff's Auxiliary, and not a deputy, and we don't respond to domestic violence calls.
If he's abusing his wife, he should be prevented from purchasing a firearm anyway.

Sounds like he's suffering from PTSD.

Should we prevent people that dropped a tab of acid from purchasing a firearm, on the off chance they have a flashback?

Obviously, we should not prohibit any crazy SOB from having a handgun, including people who are under a restraining order due to domestic violence. Hell, that's what private gun sales are all about! God forbid that Bubba can't get his revenge on Mary Ellen by picking up a .357 at a gun show!

looks like a good place for
giphy.gif

The problem is the SSA made the definition far to broad. Even the ACLU, no staunch defender of the 2nd amendment, opposed the rule.

Not being able to handle one's own finances as you get older does not mean the person is incompetent. For that a judge has to decide.
That doesn't fit with Coyotes bullshit story made up by the left and the press.

The headline is a BLATANT LIE. The rule made it so if you were assigned by the SS that you could not handle your finances then you are somehow incompetent to own a fire arm. That is NOT severe mental illness at ALL. Get your facts straight before lying to us all.

In Trumpville, immigrants trying to escape death are banned from entering the US, while the mentally ill get to have guns.

Nothing to see, here, folks. Just the same old stuff.

BTW. I am a retired Chartered Financial Consultant, and thanks to the GOP, I can now legally charge you a fee to advise you to buy an investment that is not so good for you, but pays me a fat commission. I might as well get out my old republican polyester canary yellow golfing pants, and get back into the game!

As it was written, it was too broad and took away rights from people who posed no danger. People have a right to protect themselves and this law was intended to strip rights on a wide scale. And the left found ways to paint everyone as mentally ill. Depressed over the loss of a loved one? You're mentally unstable.

I wonder if all those rioters in the streets who are beating up innocent people and calling for a bloody revolution should have their rights denied. They are the problem with society, along with the gangs and other scum.

Try not to do a spit-take, but I AGREE with you here. I do reserve the right to disavow my agreement if it turns out this is fake news, which it may well be. :eusa_shifty:

The headline is a BLATANT LIE. The rule made it so if you were assigned by the SS that you could not handle your finances then you are somehow incompetent to own a fire arm. That is NOT severe mental illness at ALL. Get your facts straight before lying to us all.
Facts.

This order applied only to individuals receiving Social Security benefits through a Representative payee account. From the SSA website.

The law requires most minor children and all legally incompetent adults to have payees.

Social Security Administration - Representative Payee Program

These are people who have been determined by a court to be mentally defective, in other words, "adjudicated". Now, what is the definition of somewhat "dangerously mentally ill" and forbidden BY LAW from purchasing a handgun"

Dangerously Mentally Ill: Federal law prohibits firearm possession by individuals who have been “committed to a mental institution” or “adjudicated as a mental defective.”

Categories of Prohibited People | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

So again, you are defending the right of gun sellers to remain ignorant to the fact that their buyer has been adjudicated mentally defective and therefore forbidden from purchasing a gun.

Should criminals have guns?
Should children have guns?

Only in liberal heaven, everything liberals have done has helped to make those two things much easier. Like the oshitassscum/holdistinker Fast and Furious gift to murdering scum gangs.

Forum List

Back