How can Illinois deny my right to carry?

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Illinois should have to honor your Ohio CCW permit.

Because your carry issue is not Constitutional in that it is binding on all states.

You, M14shooter, have been told the truth: Because your carry issue is not Constitutional in that it is binding on all states.

How then can Illinois constitutionally refuse to honor my Ohio CCW permit?
Constitutionally, they aren't denying your right to carry. They just aren't recognizing a document issued by another state.
True. Many states have a reciprocity agreement in place to deal with situations like this. If Illinois doesn't, then the state legislature really needs to remedy this.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Constitutionally, they aren't denying your right to carry. They just aren't recognizing a document issued by another state.
True. Many states have a reciprocity agreement in place to deal with situations like this. If Illinois doesn't, then the state legislature really needs to remedy this.
But they are failing to recognize the right to carry. Such a right is not tethered to a permit. In fact, the 2nd Amendment prohibits such an infringement.

All these gun toting internet tough guys afraid of some arbitrary government regulations.

How are you going to take back your country with an attitude like that?

They are:
- I cannot carry in IL, even though I have a constitutionally protected right to do so,
- I have a permit to do so in OH, and that
- IL issues permits to that effect.
So, the question remains: How can IL constitutionally refuse to recognize my OH permit?

All these gun toting internet tough guys afraid of some arbitrary government regulations.
How are you going to take back your country with an attitude like that?
Oh look -- more mindless nonsense that doesn't in any way address the issue at hand.
We all understand that you know you have no sound response to the issue presented here -- you no longer need to prove it.

But they are failing to recognize the right to carry. Such a right is not tethered to a permit. In fact, the 2nd Amendment prohibits such an infringement.
Technically, it prohibits such an infringement by the federal government only, but universal reciprocity is only a law or SCOTUS decision away.

Technically, it prohibits such an infringement by the federal government only, but universal reciprocity is only a law or SCOTUS decision away.
Not so - the 2nd has been incorporated against actions by the states thru the 14th amendment.

But they are failing to recognize the right to carry. Such a right is not tethered to a permit.
This is exactly correct, as noted in the case cited in the OP.
The 2nd protects the right to carry outside the home; denying that right violates the 2nd.

Not so - the 2nd has been incorporated against actions by the states thru the 14th amendment.
But SCOTUS has ruled states can enact some more restrictive laws. Like I say, we need a law of the federal level making permits universally reciprical OR a specific SCOTUS ruling.

According to the US 7th Circuit, I have a right to carry a loaded and concealed firearm in the state of Illinois; said right is protected by the 2nd Amendment.
http://www.harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/vol126_moore_v_madigan.pdf

Since this ruling, Illinois changed its laws to be a shall-issue CCW state.

Right here:
SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
(Source: Illinois Constitution.)

Forum List

Back