How did Birth Control become a right?

The Trump administration is rolling back the Obama-era requirement that employer-provided health insurance policies cover birth control methods at no cost to women.

According to senior officials with the Department of Health and Human Services, the goal of the new rule is to allow any company or nonprofit group to exclude the coverage for contraception if it has a religious or moral objection.

The change fulfills a promise President Trump made in May to the Catholic religious order The Little Sisters of the Poor in a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden. The nuns had sued the Obama administration over the birth control requirement.

It also sets up a fight between advocates of religious freedom and those of equal rights for women. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the Trump Administration within hours of the rule being published, claiming it violated the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, which ensures that all people receive equal protection under the law.

Longer-acting contraception, like an intrauterine device, can cost more than $1,000, says Sarah Lipton-Lubet, a vice president at the National Partnership for Women and Families. She says the new rule is a tool for discrimination against women.

"Women shouldn't be denied access to basic health care based on their employers' religious beliefs," she says. "We all have the right to our religious beliefs. But the way that this rule treats religion is really an excuse to discriminate."

In addition to the ACLU, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, and California Attorney General Javier Becerra announced they too plan to file suit opposing the new rule.

Trump Guts Requirement That Employer Health Plans Pay For Birth Control

Maybe some of you leftists can help me out here. How in the world can you say not forcing employers to provide birth control is a violation of equal protection? What's not equal about it? And how is not paying for it "denying access" to birth control? Is there some law that states you can't buy birth control for yourself, and that only your employer can buy it for you?

Who here believes that when the founders wrote the Constitution, that they had forcing employers to provide things for their employees in mind?
You should have a vasectomy.

If unions didn't advance overpaying employees, then what did unions actually do?

You see, the problem is you work on the assumption that employees were "overpaid" when they got to live a middle class lifestyle.

Nope, the only people who are 'overpaid' are the CEO's.

Remember? I’m from this country. I’ve been in industry most of my adult life. Don’t tell me workers weren’t overpaid in the union days. It’s a wonder why we didn’t lose all those jobs many years ago. You don’t know what lazy is until you’ve made deliveries to a UAW run plant.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Remember? I’m from this country. I’ve been in industry most of my adult life. Don’t tell me workers weren’t overpaid in the union days. It’s a wonder why we didn’t lose all those jobs many years ago. You don’t know what lazy is until you’ve made deliveries to a UAW run plant.

Your argument would have validity if the UAW plants lost out to non-union competitors.

But the lost out to Japanese and German companies that are unionized and the unions actually have a say in how the company is run. Also, their Executives don't make 8 figures for failing.

Your argument would have validity if the UAW plants lost out to non-union competitors.

But the lost out to Japanese and German companies that are unionized and the unions actually have a say in how the company is run. Also, their Executives don't make 8 figures for failing.

Oh really? Did I their unions let the shipping supervisor sleep on the job? Did their unions protect them when delivery companies billed them for four hours layover time because that’s how long it took them to unload one truck? Did their unions protect their workers when they finally unloaded the truck, stop with one pallet left so they could take lunch?

Well that’s what went on in American auto companies all the time. It’s why my employer no longer accepts deliveries going to auto plants any longer.

Why shouldn't birth control be a right?

First, define what a right is. A right is something that the government cannot make illegal for you to do. It is not something that you can force someone else to provide for you.

Take free speech. The government cannot make it illegal for you to speak your mind. That does not mean, however, that your employer cannot forbid you to say certain things. He can legally forbid you to tell his customers to go to his competition while he is paying you to work for him. Nor is the government obligated to provide you free radio broadcast time to speak your mind.

In that regard, it is not a right because the government could make it illegal. That's not what you're talking about, though, is it? What you're in essence asking is, "can we force people to pay for other people to have birth control"?

When asked that way, the answer is no, it should never be a "right".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes please boss cut my pay and have me work overtime hours for free cuz a guy has to be a good company man. Those days are over. Workers today are ready to leave for a better situation within hours...Its all about self. The company is simply a means to a paycheck...loyalty has zero p!ace anymore. The way it should be.

In my stint in industry the biggest slackers by far were upper management. Truth be told. If they ever got off their rears and actually worked it would have been miraculous.

First, define what a right is. A right is something that the government cannot make illegal for you to do. It is not something that you can force someone else to provide for you.

Take free speech. The government cannot make it illegal for you to speak your mind. That does not mean, however, that your employer cannot forbid you to say certain things. He can legally forbid you to tell his customers to go to his competition while he is paying you to work for him. Nor is the government obligated to provide you free radio broadcast time to speak your mind.

In that regard, it is not a right because the government could make it illegal. That's not what you're talking about, though, is it? What you're in essence asking is, "can we force people to pay for other people to have birth control"?

Given some of the logic, everything should be a right... food, water, shelter, clothing, transportation. Hell, everyone needs these things.

Lots of people have Rights and Needs confused.

Well that’s what went on in American auto companies all the time. It’s why my employer no longer accepts deliveries going to auto plants any longer.

Right. And now your employer can't afford to pay your insurance. He's brilliant!!!!

He’s not the smartest, but if he had mental hangups, I’m sure he’d be intelligent enough to address them.

Given some of the logic, everything should be a right... food, water, shelter, clothing, transportation. Hell, everyone needs these things.

Yes they do, and a heck of a lot more than they need contraceptives.

Lots of people have Rights and Needs confused.

Rights needs and wants.

The Trump administration is rolling back the Obama-era requirement that employer-provided health insurance policies cover birth control methods at no cost to women.

According to senior officials with the Department of Health and Human Services, the goal of the new rule is to allow any company or nonprofit group to exclude the coverage for contraception if it has a religious or moral objection.

The change fulfills a promise President Trump made in May to the Catholic religious order The Little Sisters of the Poor in a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden. The nuns had sued the Obama administration over the birth control requirement.

It also sets up a fight between advocates of religious freedom and those of equal rights for women. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the Trump Administration within hours of the rule being published, claiming it violated the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, which ensures that all people receive equal protection under the law.

Longer-acting contraception, like an intrauterine device, can cost more than $1,000, says Sarah Lipton-Lubet, a vice president at the National Partnership for Women and Families. She says the new rule is a tool for discrimination against women.

"Women shouldn't be denied access to basic health care based on their employers' religious beliefs," she says. "We all have the right to our religious beliefs. But the way that this rule treats religion is really an excuse to discriminate."

In addition to the ACLU, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, and California Attorney General Javier Becerra announced they too plan to file suit opposing the new rule.

Trump Guts Requirement That Employer Health Plans Pay For Birth Control

Maybe some of you leftists can help me out here. How in the world can you say not forcing employers to provide birth control is a violation of equal protection? What's not equal about it? And how is not paying for it "denying access" to birth control? Is there some law that states you can't buy birth control for yourself, and that only your employer can buy it for you?

Who here believes that when the founders wrote the Constitution, that they had forcing employers to provide things for their employees in mind?
You should have a vasectomy.

Can't. Most insurance plans don't cover vasectomies.

Hmmmmmm. My insurance plan does. Perhaps your employer is a cheapskate. Mine Carries most all preventative tests too. If they don't then avoid them.

Forum List

Back