How did Birth Control become a right?

The Trump administration is rolling back the Obama-era requirement that employer-provided health insurance policies cover birth control methods at no cost to women.

According to senior officials with the Department of Health and Human Services, the goal of the new rule is to allow any company or nonprofit group to exclude the coverage for contraception if it has a religious or moral objection.

The change fulfills a promise President Trump made in May to the Catholic religious order The Little Sisters of the Poor in a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden. The nuns had sued the Obama administration over the birth control requirement.

It also sets up a fight between advocates of religious freedom and those of equal rights for women. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the Trump Administration within hours of the rule being published, claiming it violated the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, which ensures that all people receive equal protection under the law.

Longer-acting contraception, like an intrauterine device, can cost more than $1,000, says Sarah Lipton-Lubet, a vice president at the National Partnership for Women and Families. She says the new rule is a tool for discrimination against women.

"Women shouldn't be denied access to basic health care based on their employers' religious beliefs," she says. "We all have the right to our religious beliefs. But the way that this rule treats religion is really an excuse to discriminate."

In addition to the ACLU, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, and California Attorney General Javier Becerra announced they too plan to file suit opposing the new rule.

Trump Guts Requirement That Employer Health Plans Pay For Birth Control

Maybe some of you leftists can help me out here. How in the world can you say not forcing employers to provide birth control is a violation of equal protection? What's not equal about it? And how is not paying for it "denying access" to birth control? Is there some law that states you can't buy birth control for yourself, and that only your employer can buy it for you?

Who here believes that when the founders wrote the Constitution, that they had forcing employers to provide things for their employees in mind?
What is it that you have against birth control?
me paying for it when I don't need it. hmmm seems reasonable right?

I pay for other peoples children. Why don't you pay for your own? Why should you get tax subsidies for them? Why should I pay for their schooling?

I've always paid for my own birth control, and it was thanks to planned parenthood when I was young and uninsured. I also recognize not everyone is so fortunate. I would rather subsidize birth control now then children or abortions later.

You shouldn't have to pay for other people's children ... There is nothing in the Constitution that grants the federal government the power to make you pay for someone else.
In fact ... The Constitution as written, and as it exists today ... Forbids the ability of the federal government to personally enrich the individual.

You could make all kinds of arguments about what does happen ... Or how the federal government and their accessories in Congress have violated the Constitution.
It still doesn't change the text of the Constitution ... Nor give the federal government the authority to manage our healthcare concerns ... Nor employers or how they run their business.

If you think you have a valid proposal ... Then petition to change the Constitution ... Instead of trying to devise a workaround that puts the bump stock to shame.
I will tell you why the left won't attempt to change the Constitution instead of making up the crap they think it means ... Because they will lose that battle.

Actually..I should pay for other peoples children. Because in the long run it is better for us as a country th have an educated populace (as one example).
then for my money, I want school vouchers to get all students equal access to knowledge. why are you against that?
If you oppose abortion, then make birth control a right.

A right paid by who? Do you really believe that employers are to financially support new rights?

Tax payers can pay, it is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of unwanted children.
Is it that difficult to regulate your own vagina and uterus?

What you're literally saying is pay for my birth control or I'll get knocked up and you'll have to pay for it.

I pay for other peoples children. Why don't you pay for your own? Why should you get tax subsidies for them? Why should I pay for their schooling?

I've always paid for my own birth control, and it was thanks to planned parenthood when I was young and uninsured. I also recognize not everyone is so fortunate. I would rather subsidize birth control now then children or abortions later.
so planned parent hood handed them out with taxpayer money, so we all paid for you then. And I pay for kids who go to school, I believe everyone does that, so that is a useless argument. dig it? I don't want anyone getting subsidies for healthcare. for anything.
it is not a useless argument at all. I pay for your kids to get educated even though I have no kids. Likewise I now subsidize birthcontrol for kids I don't have. Why? Because it benefits us to have an educated workforce and subsidizing birthcontrol is cheaper than subsidizing unwanted kids, neglect and abuse, and is more ethical than abortion.

You pay for nothing. I don't get tax subsidies at all. My son is not being schooled in America. I support my child with no help from you or those who actually pay taxes. Taking responsibility for yourself and yours seems to be a foreign concept to you. No pun intended.

You don't or didn't claim your child on your taxes?
I never have. Besides, the taxes I pay are my money and is not intended to pay for your sex life or it's spawn.
I didn't realize you weren't in the US. Your public profile says you live in the Czech Republic. A country with an excellent healthcare system, subsidized by taxpayers. If you make use of it, your care is being subsidized by other people.
You know very little. I have to pay for healthcare with no Obamacare-like subsidies. Do you honestly think the Czech tax payer subsidies my healthcare?!
It is true, I know very little about you personally just as you know very little about me personally but we are certainly free to make assumptions are we not? If you are a US citizen (an assumption on my part) and have never claimed your child or related expenses on your taxes, I would be surprised but I suppose it is possible you are one of the rare few who have 100% paid there way without tax credits, payments or subsidies.
Since you acknowledge you have little idea of what we have been discussing and you must realize that I know a lot more about the US than you know about the country I live in, my healthcare and my tax responsibilities.

You have been presuming a great deal from the get go with nary a clue.

The Trump administration is rolling back the Obama-era requirement that employer-provided health insurance policies cover birth control methods at no cost to women.

According to senior officials with the Department of Health and Human Services, the goal of the new rule is to allow any company or nonprofit group to exclude the coverage for contraception if it has a religious or moral objection.

The change fulfills a promise President Trump made in May to the Catholic religious order The Little Sisters of the Poor in a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden. The nuns had sued the Obama administration over the birth control requirement.

It also sets up a fight between advocates of religious freedom and those of equal rights for women. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the Trump Administration within hours of the rule being published, claiming it violated the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, which ensures that all people receive equal protection under the law.

Longer-acting contraception, like an intrauterine device, can cost more than $1,000, says Sarah Lipton-Lubet, a vice president at the National Partnership for Women and Families. She says the new rule is a tool for discrimination against women.

"Women shouldn't be denied access to basic health care based on their employers' religious beliefs," she says. "We all have the right to our religious beliefs. But the way that this rule treats religion is really an excuse to discriminate."

In addition to the ACLU, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, and California Attorney General Javier Becerra announced they too plan to file suit opposing the new rule.

Maybe some of you leftists can help me out here. How in the world can you say not forcing employers to provide birth control is a violation of equal protection? What's not equal about it? And how is not paying for it "denying access" to birth control? Is there some law that states you can't buy birth control for yourself, and that only your employer can buy it for you?

Who here believes that when the founders wrote the Constitution, that they had forcing employers to provide things for their employees in mind?
That's pretty selfish of you. A lot of things are covered on a health plan that you'll never need, so what do you have against bc?

You shouldn't have to pay for other people's children ... There is nothing in the Constitution that grants the federal government the power to make you pay for someone else.
In fact ... The Constitution as written, and as it exists today ... Forbids the ability of the federal government to personally enrich the individual.

You could make all kinds of arguments about what does happen ... Or how the federal government and their accessories in Congress have violated the Constitution.
It still doesn't change the text of the Constitution ... Nor give the federal government the authority to manage our healthcare concerns ... Nor employers or how they run their business.

If you think you have a valid proposal ... Then petition to change the Constitution ... Instead of trying to devise a workaround that puts the bump stock to shame.
I will tell you why the left won't attempt to change the Constitution instead of making up the crap they think it means ... Because they will lose that battle.

Actually..I should pay for other peoples children. Because in the long run it is better for us as a country th have an educated populace (as one example).
then for my money, I want school vouchers to get all students equal access to knowledge. why are you against that?
A right paid by who? Do you really believe that employers are to financially support new rights?

Tax payers can pay, it is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of unwanted children.

What you're literally saying is pay for my birth control or I'll get knocked up and you'll have to pay for it.

so planned parent hood handed them out with taxpayer money, so we all paid for you then. And I pay for kids who go to school, I believe everyone does that, so that is a useless argument. dig it? I don't want anyone getting subsidies for healthcare. for anything.
it is not a useless argument at all. I pay for your kids to get educated even though I have no kids. Likewise I now subsidize birthcontrol for kids I don't have. Why? Because it benefits us to have an educated workforce and subsidizing birthcontrol is cheaper than subsidizing unwanted kids, neglect and abuse, and is more ethical than abortion.
but that's what you want, it isn't what i want, why do you feel you get to decide where I spend my money? you wish to support planned parent hood send them a check and leave my tax money alone. kapeesh?

You don't or didn't claim your child on your taxes?
I never have. Besides, the taxes I pay are my money and is not intended to pay for your sex life or it's spawn.
I didn't realize you weren't in the US. Your public profile says you live in the Czech Republic. A country with an excellent healthcare system, subsidized by taxpayers. If you make use of it, your care is being subsidized by other people.
You know very little. I have to pay for healthcare with no Obamacare-like subsidies. Do you honestly think the Czech tax payer subsidies my healthcare?!
It is true, I know very little about you personally just as you know very little about me personally but we are certainly free to make assumptions are we not? If you are a US citizen (an assumption on my part) and have never claimed your child or related expenses on your taxes, I would be surprised but I suppose it is possible you are one of the rare few who have 100% paid there way without tax credits, payments or subsidies.
Since you acknowledge you have little idea of what we have been discussing and you must realize that I know a lot more about the US than you know about the country I live in, my healthcare and my tax responsibilities.

You have been presuming a great deal from the get go with nary a clue.
Well that makes two of us doesn't it?

but that's what you want, it isn't what i want, why do you feel you get to decide where I spend my money? you wish to support planned parent hood send them a check and leave my tax money alone. kapeesh?
It don't know what planned parenthood has to do with this...

That's pretty selfish of you. A lot of things are covered on a health plan that you'll never need, so what do you have against bc?
yes it is, I have my family to fend for, I don't ask anyone for help with them. so I don't feel I have to help anyone elses plus mine. just saying, you most likely are one of them freeloaders ungrateful for the support our tax money gives you. aren't you?

Your taxes pay for all kind of struff that you personally will never use, so why pick on planning a family? It would seem like the charitable thing to do, helping families.

How did Viagra become a right?

How did any medications become a right?

How did your annual physical become a right?

How did a pap smear become a right?

Nothing became a "right", we are talking about health care insurance coverage.... :rolleyes:

And women want birth control coverage as part of their insurance plans and insurance companies are willing to give the coverage at no cost to your employer....

BECAUSE it costs insurance companies less in the long run than the unwanted or wanted pregnancy would.
does a man need birth control coverage? just saying know what the argument is stupid fk.
:rolleyes:

does a man need viagra coverage? Maybe you should know what the argument is....
huh, it should be my choice right? why do you want to force me into some program I fking don't want. what the fk is wrong with you fking libs. Thank you Mr. President fking 'A'

funny, you are only for choice when you are not for choice.
Huh? Why in the heck should it be your choice if the insurance company wants to give full coverage for birth control at no extra cost to policy holders??

Do you own the insurance company?
because that money comes from others. that's why. LOL, you have no idea how insurance works do you. You think they just have money hanging around. too funny
it comes from NO ONE....there is no cost for birth control....the insurance companies have actuaries that price the costs of everything in a policy for the estimates of what to charge each policy holder...

it costs them LESS MONEY to offer birth control to all women for free than it does to pay for pregnancy costs...the insurance companies are trying to SAVE money by giving birth control in the policies.

well being pregnant implies life right? So, the real interesting thing to do if one doesn't want to be pregnant is not to go around screwing men. That is the only way to avoid that predicament. Again, women egg, men sperm. When the sperm enters an egg guess what happens?

Then she has a little problem she has to take care of next week.

No Fetus Can Beat Us!
Your Womb is their Tomb!

It don't know what planned parenthood has to do with this...
huh?

yes it is, I have my family to fend for, I don't ask anyone for help with them. so I don't feel I have to help anyone elses plus mine. just saying, you most likely are one of them freeloaders ungrateful for the support our tax money gives you. aren't you?
Do you claim your kids on your taxes?

does a man need birth control coverage? just saying know what the argument is stupid fk.

huh, it should be my choice right? why do you want to force me into some program I fking don't want. what the fk is wrong with you fking libs. Thank you Mr. President fking 'A'

Huh? Why in the heck should it be your choice if the insurance company wants to give full coverage for birth control at no extra cost to policy holders??

because that money comes from others. that's why. LOL, you have no idea how insurance works do you. You think they just have money hanging around. too funny
it comes from NO ONE....there is no cost for birth control....the insurance companies have actuaries that price the costs of everything in a policy for the estimates of what to charge each policy holder...

it costs them LESS MONEY to offer birth control to all women for free than it does to pay for pregnancy costs...the insurance companies are trying to SAVE money by giving birth control in the policies.
hahahahahahahahaha holy fk can't make this shit up, you just can't.

Are you angry because you have no health plan? And do you realize that contraception is less of a burden on a health plan than an unplanned baby, especially one that might be in poor health because of lack of support to the mother?

no I don't. why? they pay their own

no I don't. why? they pay their own

Nice dodge.

When they were your dependents?

Are you angry because you have no health plan? And do you realize that contraception is less of a burden on a health plan than an unplanned baby, especially one that might be in poor health because of lack of support to the mother?
angry? hahaahahahahaha you want my money and I'm the one angry. too funny Pinocchio

hahahahahahahahaha holy fk can't make this shit up, you just can't.
Inform yourself....google it.

Forum List

Back