🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How did the U.S. become so pathetic that a sitcom is a topic of national conversation?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
I turned up the volume on the news to hear a segment about the new version of the Roseanne sitcom. Some people don't want to watch it, and that they don't is the topic of conversation. Seriously?

If someone asks you or asks me about it, sure, that either of us watches, or doesn't, enjoys, or doesn't, the show is banal enough banter....maybe at lunch or for a moment at the water cooler. On national TV, though? For what?

Now, don't get me wrong. My beef has nothing to do with Roseanne's content. I know the show has a political bent, and I presume it favors Trump since Trump was touting it, but what be the content of a TV show is of mon import to me. I "grew up" with "Archie Bunker," I can handle "Roseanne," even though I suspect the Roseanne character anachronistically channels "Archie Bunker," but I'd have to watch to say for sure. [1]

One thing I'll be curious to observe is what liberals and conservatives periodically have to say about the writing for Roseanne.
  • Conservatives routinely enough say of comedians something like, "Do your comedy. Leave your politics out of it."
    • Will they adopt that posture re: Roseanne?
    • If chided about not maintaining that posture re: Roseanne, will they resort to a hackneyed tu quoque retort?
  • Will liberals embrace the "do your comedy. Leave your politics out of it" stance or will they just watch the show and laugh, or just not watch the show?
    • If chided about adopting that posture re: Roseanne, will they resort to a hackneyed tu quoque retort?

Note:
  1. I think the Roseanne character is anachronistic because of this.

Educational_Attainment_in_the_United_States_2009.png

(Note: National annual average unemployment rate in 2012 was 8.1%)

TV is obviously very influential in our culture.

Discussing a show and it's impact and/or what it says about US as a nation, is completely reasonable and valid.

They don't call it the Idiot-box for nothing. And it's one of our President's pet activities.

The thread title point is well taken but this is hardly a new infection.

Television is an insidious hypnotist machine sold to the masses for the purpose of melting minds down to a mush that's nice and malleable for the marketer of Shit You Don't Need, which we call "commercials".

One obvious example of its undeservedly prominent place in the culture is the fact that one can start a conversation about "did you see the show about...." and it's not even necessary to explain that you mean a television show.

Television is the most insidious propaganda device ever invented and it creates a populace of hopeless informational dependency. Entirely for its own enrichment.

They don't call it the Idiot-box for nothing. And it's one of our President's pet activities.

That's the ultimate hazard of it. Rump thinks that shit is real. Or matters, or something. He's obsessed with the idea of "ratings", which naturally follows from his chronic NPD.

It is hugely important in our culture. Are you denying this?
It got JFK elected. The rest followed suit.

It got Rump elected too. It gets everybody elected. Such is the legacy of the propaganda machine.
Orwell could see it coming in 1949 already.
Who do you think is running this propaganda, Pogo? Who is Oceania?

It is perfectly normal for television shows to become topics of national conversation. Hell, many Mondays are spent gabbing with co-workers about Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead.

I turned up the volume on the news to hear a segment about the new version of the Roseanne sitcom. Some people don't want to watch it, and that they don't is the topic of conversation. Seriously?

If someone asks you or asks me about it, sure, that either of us watches, or doesn't, enjoys, or doesn't, the show is banal enough banter....maybe at lunch or for a moment at the water cooler. On national TV, though? For what?

Now, don't get me wrong. My beef has nothing to do with Roseanne's content. I know the show has a political bent, and I presume it favors Trump since Trump was touting it, but what be the content of a TV show is of mon import to me. I "grew up" with "Archie Bunker," I can handle "Roseanne," even though I suspect the Roseanne character anachronistically channels "Archie Bunker," but I'd have to watch to say for sure. [1]

One thing I'll be curious to observe is what liberals and conservatives periodically have to say about the writing for Roseanne.
  • Conservatives routinely enough say of comedians something like, "Do your comedy. Leave your politics out of it."
    • Will they adopt that posture re: Roseanne?
    • If chided about not maintaining that posture re: Roseanne, will they resort to a hackneyed tu quoque retort?
  • Will liberals embrace the "do your comedy. Leave your politics out of it" stance or will they just watch the show and laugh, or just not watch the show?
    • If chided about adopting that posture re: Roseanne, will they resort to a hackneyed tu quoque retort?

Note:
  1. I think the Roseanne character is anachronistic because of this.

Educational_Attainment_in_the_United_States_2009.png

(Note: National annual average unemployment rate in 2012 was 8.1%)
BECAUSE THE AMERICAN SHEEP LET OUR CORRUPT POLITICIANS TAKE OVER THE COUNTRY SERVING THE BANKERS INSTEAD OF THE PEOPLE IS WHY.

It is perfectly normal for television shows to become topics of national conversation. Hell, many Mondays are spent gabbing with co-workers about Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead.

I don't think I've ever had a conversation about Game of Thrones in relation to modern politics, though. :p

It is hugely important in our culture. Are you denying this?
It got JFK elected. The rest followed suit.

It got Rump elected too. It gets everybody elected. Such is the legacy of the propaganda machine.
Orwell could see it coming in 1949 already.
Who do you think is running this propaganda, Pogo? Who is Oceania?

Corporatia, basically. But not with any kind of unified "plan" as the conspiratheorists would fancy, just simple shortsighted GREED using the airwaves that belong to We the People which we hand over to them to do that for no rental fee at all.

The hour-long Roseanne was two shows, the 1st had a lot of politics, the second 1 not.

How many times can America fall 4 jobs jobs jobs from the GOP? BTW

Forum List

Back