How did The WaPo get the "code word" intel?

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
Digging a little deeper into the WaPo story about Trumps disclosure of "code word" classified information to the Russians. I noticed this statement:

"The Post is withholding most plot details, including the name of the city, at the urging of officials who warned that revealing them would jeopardize important intelligence capabilities."

Im curious... Why would the Post have these details? They state that they have a source who leaked details of Trumps meeting but why would this source disclose the actual classified intel to the Post? Thats not making sense to me. Any thoughts?

Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador

Could the Post have access to a recording or transcript of the meeting? It doesn't make sense for a source to reveal the actual code word intel to the Post, there is no point in doing that and it poses a huge national security risk.

In my mind there are only 3 possibilities:
1. The source was reckless and revealed the code word intel to reporters
2. A source did not reveal the intel and the post has a recording or Transcript of the meeting
3. A source did not reveal the intel and the post received a false report

Am I missing anything? Thoughts?

Here is my thought. If Wapo says, "Go North", go south. That is how far away the truth is from Wapo. They are the Enquirer of the political media.
It doesn't appear that they were wrong about this situation... Whitehouse is making statements verifying that Trump spoke to the Russians and revealed classified information. They say it was appropriate for the discussion but the facts laid out in the article appear to be true.
It's fine to view media reports with a critical eye. We all should. But dismissing everything is just living in ignorance

Somebody is talking, whether they're telling the truth is yet to be known.

The U.S. officials told Reuters that Trump revealed the information to the Russians without consulting the ally that provided it, which threatens to jeopardize a long-standing intelligence-sharing agreement. Trump defends his 'absolute right' to share information with Russians
From the BBC, I found this note a bit reassuring that if true no damage was likely done:

In this case it appears to relate to the discovery of plans by jihadists in Syria to devise a way of smuggling viable explosive devices on board a plane inside a laptop computer. Given the well-publicised ban on laptops in cabins on certain Middle Eastern routes, whoever revealed that information is unlikely to be still in place. Trump defends 'absolute right' to share 'facts' with Russia - BBC News

My personal opinion this whole thing has been way overblown. I think Trump let slip more than he should have and should be callled on it I don't though think it's the major event the Post and most of the media are making it out to be.

Forum List

Back