How do we get rid of the "teams"?

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
I'm a baseball fan and the SF Giants are my team. As a Giants fan, I hate our rival, the Dodgers... The rivalry is great and combative and has a lot of history... There are those few wingnuts that get consumed with it, and take it too far, leading to fights and violence. But for the most part as baseball fans we appreciate the rivalry as part of the game that we all love, and can shake hands after a game well played. In the end, we are all baseball fans.

I see the same thing going on with our politics. We have become divided into 2 teams that are rivals of each other and the rivalry game has taken over. Somehow we have forgotten that we are all "baseball fans". How can we get rid of this rival team mentality that seems to be consuming the game of politics? We need an "all star game" in a manner of speaking, where we can mix the teams and remind us that we are all in this together.

I'm a baseball fan and the SF Giants are my team. As a Giants fan, I hate our rival, the Dodgers... The rivalry is great and combative and has a lot of history... There are those few wingnuts that get consumed with it, and take it too far, leading to fights and violence. But for the most part as baseball fans we appreciate the rivalry as part of the game that we all love, and can shake hands after a game well played. In the end, we are all baseball fans.

I see the same thing going on with our politics. We have become divided into 2 teams that are rivals of each other and the rivalry game has taken over. Somehow we have forgotten that we are all "baseball fans". How can we get rid of this rival team mentality that seems to be consuming the game of politics? We need an "all star game" in a manner of speaking, where we can mix the teams and remind us that we are all in this together.
Politics is a bloodless revolution.

There is no “game” going on....

At this point I'm not sure you can the wingnuts seem to have taken over both parties and I don't see that changing anythime soon.
Its gotta come from the top. We need a leader who has a similar charisma as Trump, able to communicate with people's emotions. But he or she would need to unify, inspire, and be a shining example of integrity. They will need to use the bully pulpit to condemn those who play the partisan dishonest games.

I was hoping so much that Trumps ugliness was a product of his competitive spirit and something that we would only see in the Campaign. I was hoping that once he won he would flip the switch and act like the kind of leader that I thought he could be. Unfortunately, he seems only able to divide and inflame. Its too bad, I really don't see a way out of this rabbit hole

Are you trying to be deep? You aren't doing a very good job. Most of politics is now a game. Its is selling an illusion. Somewhere honesty and sincerity has been lost

Your mistake is in thinking we are on the same side. The left is my enemy. The left wants to loot me and enslave me. I will never give any quarter to the left. I will fight them until they are destroyed. This isn't a game. It's war.

Are you trying to be deep? You aren't doing a very good job. Most of politics is now a game. Its is selling an illusion. Somewhere honesty and sincerity has been lost
He's stating a simple fact. Politics isn't a game. It's war.

Your mistake is in thinking we are on the same side. The left is my enemy. The left wants to loot me and enslave me. I will never give any quarter to the left. I will fight them until they are destroyed. This isn't a game. It's war.
Your exactly the kind of nut i was talking about getting in fights at the ballgame. Get over yourself

Yes, I realize thats how the wingnuts see it...

Ask Jews who survived the Holocaust if they think politics is just a game.

Ask Jews who survived the Holocaust if they think politics is just a game.
Great argument man! My point obviously went right over your head

Only thing I can think of is we eliminate party registration as voters. Anyone can vote for anyone during the primaries, regardless of what party the candidate belongs to. We'd probably get better candidates, and it would reduce much of the blindness that comes with belonging to a club.

Only thing I can think of is we eliminate party registration as voters. Anyone can vote for anyone during the primaries, regardless of what party the candidate belongs to. We'd probably get better candidates, and it would reduce much of the blindness that comes with belonging to a club.
Interesting thought. How do you avoid members of the opposite party voting for the weaker opposing candidate during the primaries to help their candidate win the general?

Interesting thought. How do you avoid members of the opposite party voting for the weaker opposing candidate during the primaries to help their candidate win the general?

Excellent question and one I pondered. You can't. However, I'm not sure how likely that is. We have enough trouble getting people to vote period. Be even more difficult to organize such a "disruption". Additionally, the fact you're no longer Republican or Democrat should reduce that type of incentive.

Fuck our process. I'm non-partisan, but if I could have voted for Webb I would have. Dude didn't have a chance.

Excellent question and one I pondered. You can't. However, I'm not sure how likely that is. We have enough trouble getting people to vote period. Be even more difficult to organize such a "disruption". Additionally, the fact you're no longer Republican or Democrat should reduce that type of incentive.

Fuck our process. I'm non-partisan, but if I could have voted for Webb I would have. Dude didn't have a chance.
The trouble i'd see is if the opposition has a unchallenged incumbent and the supporters of the incumbent rally together to vote for the weakest challenger in the primary.

I'd like to see all parties abolished and our campaign system completely overhauled. Technology and communications are to a point where I think we can handle this and people can run for office based on individual stances on individual issues and not be labeled/controlled/influenced by the agenda of a party. Get rid of the little (d) and (r) next to these peoples names. Get rid of the majority/minority whips and majority/minority leaders. Run it more like a business with elected "executives" to organize and conduct business in the most productive way possible.

The trouble i'd see is if the opposition has a unchallenged incumbent and the supporters of the incumbent rally together to vote for the weakest challenger in the primary.

I'd like to see all parties abolished and our campaign system completely overhauled. Technology and communications are to a point where I think we can handle this and people can run for office based on individual stances on individual issues and not be labeled/controlled/influenced by the agenda of a party. Get rid of the little (d) and (r) next to these peoples names. Get rid of the majority/minority whips and majority/minority leaders. Run it more like a business with elected "executives" to organize and conduct business in the most productive way possible.

I suppose they could limit the primary to one vote. Take the Dem., Rep., and perhaps a third party or two with the most votes for the general. That should eliminate that problem. It would reduce the bias as Republicans and Democrats, because as voters you're no longer Democrat or Republican.

Lets face it, that's the last thing the parties want. They want to control your mind. They enjoy the diversity, because if I can blame the other guy, then it adds strength to my guy. At the end of the day that's how the Reps. and Dems. maintain power.

Fuck those fuckers. I can't stand congress. Self-serving fuck fuckers. Most of them ball-less cowards with their party up their ass, as they sell their souls. It's getting worse.

Not sure I'm on-board losing party of candidates. Might be too chaotic. We do need to see more exposure for third parties in the general. Oh yeah, put a reasonable cap on money spent. That will introduce some third candidates, no doubt about it. Yeah, good luck.

Last edited:
What I see is the media covering politics as if it were a team sport and then people following suit by selecting a side. I don't believe that'll change, the partisan path is certainly the easiest to follow.

Forum List

Back