How Does Taxing the Rich "Help" the Middle Class?

When citizen A helps create lots of inequality, making wages stagnant and slowing the economy, then yes they probably should pay more in taxes.

Also citizen A tends to use up more resources. For instance probably has multiple homes. Might own a business that puts lots of trucks on the road causing wear.
Owns multiple homes, didnt that put people to work building them? how about the people that maintain them, he also pays taxes on both homes. Not taking up more resources. Owns a business that puts lots of trucks on the road, are these trucks self driving or does he have to hire someone to actually steer them, do they load and unload by themselves? do you purchase the products at the stores he is filling the shelves of? does he pay thousands of dollars a year in every state his trucks are operated in?
try again, what resources is he using that he is not already paying more for.
But lets look at citizen B, or even C who pays nothing, they are in areas that require a higher police concentration, more stores and more roads, they send their children to a public school while citizen A sends his to private, they might use public transportation that is subsidized with tax dollar.
who actually uses more resources.

Citizen A puts all sorts of trucks on the roads. Citizen B drives one car. Citizen A responsible for much more wear on roads.

Also if China invaded tomorrow who has more to lose? The poor person has much les to lose. The rich person should be paying more to military to protect more.
you have no clue what it costs to put a license on a truck for a year do you. It can easily exceed 10k per truck.
the rich person already pays more for military.
I pay over 5k a year for property tax on my home, the average person in the lower income areas might pay 1000.
the guy driving the toyota might pay 80 for registration on his car, my pickup is 180. I have a travel trailer that is 180 for the registration and the only time Its on the road in Maryland is for 30 miles that it takes me to get out of the state.
Im on well water, however if they decided to run city water and or sewage to the lower income housing development, I would be forced to pay for the pipes that run along my road front property and for the forced connection to my house, I have just over 1000ft of road front that I would be charged for so the guy next door could get water.
I dont think you understand fair share either.

Who is the cause of more pollution?

Sorry there are many reasons rich people should pay more. How much is debatable. With all the bogus tax breaks the rich often pay a lower %, buffet said his was lower than his secretary. If the rich are like the Waltons they pay so little to employees that they are on welfare.
He might have paid a lower percentage but did he pay less actuall tax in dollar amount?
as far as the pollution, you tell me, is it the guy that lives in the neighborhood with a 1/8 acre lot that has only grass on it, or is it the guy like me with the many acres that are natrually wooded and left alone.

Percentage. The poor guy needs it to survive. Every % means much more to the poor guy.

It's the rich guy using private jets and having many huge houses.

The economy we're seeing now is the result of 30+ years of St Reagan's supply side nonsense.

High unemployment and record debt. Pretty good, eh?
I don't think you can really blame Reagan for cutting the top rate from 50%. It was as high as 90% at one time. The tax cuts did result in more venture capital going to new biz. Today, however, we have the exact opposite. Absolutely zero savings set aside by the middle class (hah) and insufficient demand to fuel full utilization of supply. And neither party has thus far found an answer. Although, the gop's calls for more "across the boards cuts," which affect the top 1% a lot differently than the rest of us, are about the worst thing we can do.

The tax rates for capital gains and dividends need to be increased to 25%. In addition, we need to create a Financial Transactions Tax, for every instrument traded on Wall Street.

Corporate welfare has gone on long enough.

The tax rates for capital gains and dividends need to be increased to 25%. In addition, we need to create a Financial Transactions Tax, for every instrument traded on Wall Street.

Many ceos get paid in stocks so they can avoid income taxes.

Lol, they are still blaming Reagan 25 years later. what happened to all them summer recoveries we kept having under that Savior Obama?

good grief.

explain how higher taxes for those that are not poor, or for corporations helps those that pay nothing now.
is the real fear that with all the extra spending over the last few years to give the poor even MORE free benefits that sooner or later those paying nothing now will end up having to pay?

This is what Liberals keep saying, but Just how does that work, when the Government keeps the money?
I see. The government has this big pile of gold it buys with that money, right?

Well, let us see how the government could possibly use that money to make the life of middle class Americans better. Right now, another 10,000 firefighters in the Pacific Northwest would make several thousand middle class citizens a bit more confident of having a home to return to. Then the money to keep those firefighters on through the winter to clear and thin the forests so normal fires seasons would have less crown fires.

Two years of Junior College for token payment as long as one kept their grades up. That would include tech school and aprenticeships. That would take a lot of poor Americans into the middle class.

Repair of our roads and bridges. We literally have bridges on the interstate that are falling down. Bad road damage the vehicles that the middle class depends on for transportation. Transprotation networks like the light rail, that makes travel into the city centers much easier, and less costly than using a private vehicle.

NASA. Time to put exploration back on the priority list. The Apollo project was a primary impetus on the developments that led to how we are communicating right now.

NOAA. We know that the GHGs we are putting into the atmosphere is affecting our climate, but we still have not got a real handle on how severe that affect will be.

In any R and D project, there are many good paying positions for the scientists and the technicians. So investing in R and D by the government is a boon for all.

It doesn't.. you could confiscate 100% of their wealth.. all of it... and you'd fund the government for about a month or two... maybe.

I'm single now, so I do pay taxes.

when I was married I paid nothing. We got it all back. But if you think about the cost to send me all my taxes back....

ooops, I asked you to think, sorry

You paid nothing because you're a moocher. Right? You expected to be taken care of by the government. You must be proud.
aww, making shit up in a pathetic attempt to flame me.

Taxes come out of a paycheck moran.

better luck next time

And? You paid nothing because you're a moocher. People who don't pay taxes are looking to mooch off the rest of us that actually work hard for a living. Why didn't you kick in your fair share???
such as?

I didn't set the numbers, moronic leftist like you did. The tax system is set the way you want it, not me. So suck it my bitch, and while your at it, pick me up sammich.

"I didn't set the numbers, so I'm ok with being lazy and living off the people who actually work hard".
I don't live off anyone.
I pay my bills, buy my own food.

You're just a pathetic loser that has no idea how to support your own policies. You just want some pathetic revenge b/c someone has more than you.

You are years past time to have grown up and learned that life is not fair.

This is what Liberals keep saying, but Just how does that work, when the Government keeps the money?

Somebody has to pay for the cost of government.
Somebody has to bring that cost in line.....more responsible spending.
responsible spending is not giving financial aid to 12 million illegals, or initiating obamacare when the budget is in the shape it is.
what needs to be done is to start looking at social service cuts and getting rid of some of the non essential military bases around the world. Then reduce the burden on business so that they will come back to this country and create jobs.
Creating government jobs is not the answer. If the taxes taken from the people that work right now cant support the government spending, then moving millions more into government jobs can not be the right answer.

Well, I just went through 50 some posts of drivel and sniping, and only ONE person answered my question. Thank you Stephanie.
I am a firm believer that the entire 70,000 page tax code should be tossed into the woodstove and we should start over with a system where EVERYBODY pays something to run the government.
There should be no deductions for anything. I favor the Fair Tax proposal because when you buy a G6, you'll pay more in taxes than a used car which under the fair tax proposal wouldn't be taxed at all.
It would eliminate a trillion dollar (latest estimate) underground economy too. Those people who avoid paying taxes would pay just like everyone else.

What did we do when we had higher tax rates on the wealthy?

Won WWII
Built interstate highway system
Put a man on the moon
Passed Medicare

What have we accomplished since Reagan slashed taxes on the rich?

Better infrastructure.

Better schools.

Better social programs designed to sustain unemployed back into work force.

Better social services.

Better veterans care.

Better regulatory agencies.

Shit, I could list a hundred things...

Better infrastructure.

Better schools.

Better social services.

Better veterans care.

Since Reagan slashed taxes on the rich, working Americans ( and the taxpayer) have had to pick up more of the cost of healthcare, education, transportation and housing

All while their wages and benefits have stagnated

Better infrastructure.

Better schools.

Better social services.

Better veterans care.

Since Reagan slashed taxes on the rich, working Americans ( and the taxpayer) have had to pick up more of the cost of healthcare, education, transportation and housing

All while their wages and benefits have stagnated

Don't forget the cost of illegal immigration.

explain how higher taxes for those that are not poor, or for corporations helps those that pay nothing now.
It's good for my health. I sleep better at night knowing the rich aren't getting a free ride off my dime.

is the real fear that with all the extra spending over the last few years to give the poor even MORE free benefits that sooner or later those paying nothing now will end up having to pay?
Why should the rich get free benefits? They're rich. That's their benefit. The poor only own 7% of the assets in this country, so they should only pay 7% of the tax.

And speaking of paying nothing, GE, a billion dollar a year company, paid "0" zero tax. That's just criminal.

responsible spending is not giving financial aid to 12 million illegals, or initiating obamacare when the budget is in the shape it is.
what needs to be done is to start looking at social service cuts and getting rid of some of the non essential military bases around the world. Then reduce the burden on business so that they will come back to this country and create jobs.
Creating government jobs is not the answer. If the taxes taken from the people that work right now cant support the government spending, then moving millions more into government jobs can not be the right answer.

How about we cut our military budget in half.

How about we cut our military budget in half.

The Military is irresponsible spending? We tried that under Clinton and got hit 6 years later on 9/11

Forum List

Back