How Evil is Libertarianism anyway?

If you want to run your business in our society, you have to follow our rules

It applies to building codes, labor regulations, hours you are allowed to operate and who you are required to serve

Yes, the proclivity for authoritarians to use violence to enforce their rules on their fellow man is well established.

To an authoritarian, violence is always the answer.
No violence unless you create a dangerous scene

Otherwise, your business is just shut down until you can follow the rules
Coming from a person who not only never ran a business, but has never even worked for one.

It's comical sitting here listening to you pretend like you're in charge.
You own a business, you conform with the regulations of your community

If you had really owned your own business you would realize that
As usual, the U.S. Constitution proves you wrong. You want to convince the American people that private business is nothing more than extension of government - public space created to serve the people. But that's simply not the case. My private business on my private property entitles me to decide who I enter into business with and who I don't. The Constitution says so. And that trumps any local "regulations of my community". Believe me, you of all people I do not expect to understand this. But the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution proves what I said to be true.

The Constitution, viewed in the light of existing case law, says that everything you do impacts interstate commerce and can thus be regulated and restricted by the federal government.

You think there's economic opportunity awaiting everyone, everywhere. It's just not so.

If one business discriminates, it opens up the opportunity for another business so swoop in and snatch up those who have been discriminated against.
A fact that the modern day liberal simply cannot comprehend because the modern day liberal is too lazy to see opportunity and meet that opportunity. They want someone else to do it for them. And how do you do that? By unconstitutionally demanding through government that someone place a gun to your head and forces you to bake a cake for gay couples.

I mean, think about it, what an incredible business opportunity to open a bakery that specializes in gay marriage. In fact, that's all they will do is gay marriages. They refuse to do traditional marriage. That person would make a fortune and rights would be protected in the U.S. The only caveat is that it requires someone to get up off of the couch. Something that people like Synthaholic and left-winger refuse to do.

So what about you should be free to do whatever you want as long as you don't infringe on other's right to do the same do you disagree with?

1. One should not violate the law and the punishment for that should be administered by the government and consist of combinations of fines, imprisonment and capital punishment

- begging the question. The question is what should the laws be, not what should enforcement be

2. One should not infringe on public morality and standards of decency. The penalty for this should be public shunning, and criticism, not governmental punishment.

- agreed, that's a totally libertarian view

3. One should not engage in fraud. The punishment for that depends on the nature of the fraud.

- agreed, that's a libertarian view. They violated the second part of the philosophy, "don't infringe on other's right to do the same"

4. One should not advocate the harm of other people.

- agreed, that's a libertarian view. They violated the second part of the philosophy, "don't infringe on other's right to do the same"

All the above passes the free to do whatever you want as long as you don't infringe on other's right to do the same mantra.

No, none of them did. Other than the first one which didn't say anything libertarian or not libertarian.

Again, you're arguing against anarchy, not small government libertarianism

As I said, libertarians hold that it is wrong to use force against someone who hasn't trespassed against the person or property of others.

Some of your examples involve using force against someone who hasn't trespassed against the person or property of others. A libertarian would see this as a violation of the non-aggression principle:
So if a person is killing an unborn baby, is that a violation of another person?

If a pimp coerces one of his whores to get back out on the street, despite her flu and resume getting the minimum number of johns he has given her, is that wrong by Libertarian notions?
And some of your examples no force is being used, so there is no violation of the non-aggression principle:
If someone refuses to defend their own country by ducking the draft in a time of war, is that against the Libertarian belief system?

If someone refuses to pay their taxes is that a violation?

If a person buys out a company that has the patent on a life saving drug then runs the price up by a factor of 50, is that wrong by Libertarian values?
The following two issues are interesting, in that they involve dependent minors. They also don't involve the use of force. However, I think that most libertarians would agree that if you put someone in a position of dependence, then you assume responsibility for them. For example, if I take you up in an airplane, I have placed you in a position of dependence, and it then would be unethical for me to say you must get off my property while at 5,000 feet. Likewise, when one decides to create a dependent child, I would argue that one has an obligation to that child. So I would say that the following act would be unethical:
If a Father abandons his own biologically conceived children to live on the street, is that violence of some kind?
As for the following, I would say that nobody has a right to interact with another's minor child without the parent or guardian's permission:
If a person decides that a law against selling crack cocaine to minors is unjust and begins to do so, is he violating Libertarian values?
I hope that makes my position clearer.

Yes, the proclivity for authoritarians to use violence to enforce their rules on their fellow man is well established.

Coming from a person who not only never ran a business, but has never even worked for one.

As usual, the U.S. Constitution proves you wrong. You want to convince the American people that private business is nothing more than extension of government - public space created to serve the people. But that's simply not the case. My private business on my private property entitles me to decide who I enter into business with and who I don't. The Constitution says so. And that trumps any local "regulations of my community". Believe me, you of all people I do not expect to understand this. But the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution proves what I said to be true.

The Constitution, viewed in the light of existing case law, says that everything you do impacts interstate commerce and can thus be regulated and restricted by the federal government.
"In light of existing case law". Bingo! The Constitution proves me right. Which then requires you to go to illegal and unconstitutional "case law" (i.e. a libtard political activist deciding they are empowered to trump the U.S. Constitution and decide for themselves what rights and freedoms the American people have). Just one small problem with that my friend - law are made from the legislative branch and the entire court system is part of the judicial branch. Well, the judicial branch is not allowed to make law (look it up - only the legislative branch can make laws). Therefor, "case law" is unconstitutional. The legislative branch is not empowered to make law. Game over.

You know that a liberal has been destroyed in an argument when they have to mention "case law". It says "yep, I can't dispute the Constitution so I'll move away from that an on to something nonsensical like judges illegally making law from the bench".

The constitution gives congress the power to regulate everything a person does that might impact interstate commerce? Can you please quote the relevant clause in Art I, section 8?

This is too retarded to respond to.

Do all libertarians believe you should be able to just walk into the White House?

You said that the government is the people. I'm one of the people, no? So I'm the government.
Boom! Down goes Synthaholic! Down goes Synthaholic! :lmao:

Watching you own her is a pleasure Centinel!

When you go to your local baker, explain how that's "interstate commerce"

The constitution gives congress the power to regulate everything a person does that might impact interstate commerce? Can you please quote the relevant clause in Art I, section 8?

You see, what the founders did was create a strictly limited government with enumerated powers. One of those powers was government can do anything the fuck it wants. Doesn't Jim's argument make sense to you?

Or, better yet, commerce among the several states. (Remember, the constitution doesn't say "interstate commerce".)

This is too retarded to respond to.

Do all libertarians believe you should be able to just walk into the White House?

You said that the government is the people. I'm one of the people, no? So I'm the government.
Boom! Down goes Synthaholic! Down goes Synthaholic! :lmao:

Watching you own her is a pleasure Centinel!
Synthaholic is a she????

Syndi is sort of like Pat, you can't really tell

You see, what the founders did was create a strictly limited government with enumerated powers. One of those powers was government can do anything the fuck it wants. Doesn't Jim's argument make sense to you?
It makes no sense whatsoever.

It's not. At all. And they know it. Just like Obamacare is not a "tax" and they know it. It's legislation creating a new department of the federal government and new powers where none exists.

But when the Constitution prevents you from exerting power and control over others, you have to intentionally misinterpret what the Constitution says to justify your illegal activity.

Or, better yet, commerce among the several states. (Remember, the constitution doesn't say "interstate commerce".)

What do you think is the difference? They appear to be synonyms to me
The object of the prepositional phrase is "the several states", not "the people of the several states". Big difference.

The point of that power was to allow congress to regulate commerce among the states. For example, to make laws against state tariffs or quotas.

There is a great web site that a friend recently sent me which covers this perfectly. Here is an excerpt which just nails it and supports exactly what you just said:

While many are at least vaguely familiar with the separation of powers at the federal level between the legislative, judicial, and executive branches - in essence, a horizontal separation of powers - few, if any, understand that the founders designed the U.S. Constitution with a primary focus on a vertical separation of powers between the federal government, state government, and local governments. There was never an intent to concentrate power at the federal level and then split that among the three branches. Quite the contrary, the ground breaking pioneers who were the architects of a revolutionary form of government had experienced tyranny first hand - and thus desired the broadest level of powers to be wielded at the lowest level of government - where the people would have the loudest voice, maxim oversight, and strongest leverage to shape the direction of their lives and their communities.

X-Patriot | X Amendment

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

The object of the prepositional phrase is "the several states", not the people of the several states. Big difference.

The point of that power was to allow congress to regulate commerce among the states. For example, to make laws against state tariffs or quotas.

I'm still seeing a distinction without a difference. Interstate trade refers as you say to that the federal government can prevent States from creating as you said tariffs or quotas or restrict certain products. Government can regulate the movement of goods and services when moving between the States.

The intent was to prevent barriers to trade, but they did just give them the power to regulate it generally.

What material difference are you seeing in "commerce among the several states?" I'm not arguing with you, I just don't understand the difference you are claiming

The object of the prepositional phrase is "the several states", not the people of the several states. Big difference.

I'm still seeing a distinction without a difference. Interstate trade refers as you say to that the federal government can prevent States from creating as you said tariffs or quotas or restrict certain products. Government can regulate the movement of goods and services when moving between the States.

The intent was to prevent barriers to trade, but they did just give them the power to regulate it generally.

What material difference are you seeing in "commerce among the several states?" I'm not arguing with you, I just don't understand the difference you are claiming
The material difference I see would be that any law congress passed to implement this power would apply to the states, not to individuals.

It makes no sense whatsoever.
Lol, case law is part of the Constitutions implementation, so it doesnt really matter if you can grasp that or not; it is the REALITY, ideologue.

Forum List

Back