How many African-Americans were killed in WWI?

American black soldiers were used for support and logistics during WWi
They mainly were used as manual labor, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks. Only a tiny number, if any, were assigned to combat units. ... :cool:

There were 2 divisions that were totally black. They lost 1,647 and 3,547 men in combat, respectively.

And the men serving in manual labor jobs, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks were still in the US Army and still serving in the war.

Were they serving under French command?
The vast majority of U.S. black soldiers mainly served in supply and logistics under the American flag and commanded by white U.S. Army.
officers.
But there were two divisions of black U.S. Army combat soldiers that were given to the French, commanded by French officers, wore French helmets and used French weapons, and fought under the French flag during WWl. ... :cool:

Last edited:
They were just not keeping records that way back then.
And why should they. The heroes that died in that war from this country were AMERICANS. Americans should not be counted by their ethnicity but by their nationality. To do otherwise is just an attempt to divide the country and a house divided CANNOT stand.
Funny things is, in 1918-19 Black Americans weren't considered part of our country.

Thank you. Those black men who served were heros, like all who served their country. The saddest part if that their country did them a huge disservice.

I asked a simple question but eveyone wants to politicize it.

And why should they. The heroes that died in that war from this country were AMERICANS. Americans should not be counted by their ethnicity but by their nationality. To do otherwise is just an attempt to divide the country and a house divided CANNOT stand.
Funny things is, in 1918-19 Black Americans weren't considered part of our country.

Thank you. Those black men who served were heros, like all who served their country. The saddest part if that their country did them a huge disservice.

I asked a simple question but eveyone wants to politicize it.

There have been several posts offering reasons why the numbers are not out there.

I don't think it was about politicizing the answer. Just a comment about how the men who served were treated.

They mainly were used as manual labor, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks. Only a tiny number, if any, were assigned to combat units. ... :cool:

There were 2 divisions that were totally black. They lost 1,647 and 3,547 men in combat, respectively.

And the men serving in manual labor jobs, such as unloading cargo off ships, building projects, and driving supply trucks were still in the US Army and still serving in the war.

Yes. Like many multinational military units, the command was given to one nation. The men were still serving in the US Army.

What do you mean by the term multinational military units?

In this case, the French were in desperate need of men. The US sent members of the US Army to give them relief. But the overall area was under French command.

From the article Coyote posted and I posted:
"The situation was desperate in France, and with exhausted and dwindling armies, the French begged the United States for men. GEN John Pershing, commander of the American Expeditionary Force, promised them four American regiments."

From what I am seeing posted on here it appears the only deaths of Black American Soldiers were those under French command.....interesting but not the topic or an answer to my question.....but as it stands it appears there were more American Black Soldiers killed in WWI than in WWII.

In WWII there were approx. 800 American Black Soldiers killed.....why are the stats available for WWII but not for WWI?

The number of American Black soldiers killed in WWI must be out there somewhere???

A lot of the post WWI violence against black Americans is because whites wanted them put down after they gained some pride from being soldiers.

You're starting to talk in circles.
I don't have time your tedious nonsense.
Goodnight...... :cool:

Ridiculous.....my question still remains how many American Blacks were killed during WWI.....if anyone can find the answer to that please post it. Thanks

Anyhow.....it appears that info is not available......so now I relinquish this thread for anyone to talk about any subject....and a lot of this info on blacks in WWI is very interesting.

Last edited:

The vast majority of U.S. black soldiers mainly served in supply and logistics under the American flag and commanded by white U.S. Army.
officers.
But there were two divisions of black U.S. Army combat soldiers that were given to the French, commanded by French officers, wore French helmets and used French weapons, and fought under the French flag during WWl. ... :cool:
So the French asked for help and we sent them Black troops.....seems rather curious as to why they would do that.

officers.
So the French asked for help and we sent them Black troops.....seems rather curious as to why they would do that.

They sent 4 divisions. Two of them were black.

officers.

They sent 4 divisions. Two of them were black.
Oh I see....ok thanx

American black combat regiments were given to the French and were commanded by French officers.
The picture of black U.S. Army soldiers in the article are all wearing French soldier's helmets. ... :cool:

And most White units were assigned to serve with British units, and used British helmets.

This was really the only war where US units were integrated into those of other nations. And as the US did not have helmets yet (that was a WWI invention), they used those of their allies.

We even used the English helmet in Greece, as the US styled one was also used by the Soviet backed insurgents. And they did not want friendly fire because of that.

Yes. Like many multinational military units, the command was given to one nation. The men were still serving in the US Army.

In this case, the French were in desperate need of men. The US sent members of the US Army to give them relief. But the overall area was under French command.

"The situation was desperate in France, and with exhausted and dwindling armies, the French begged the United States for men. GEN John Pershing, commander of the American Expeditionary Force, promised them four American regiments."

From what I am seeing posted on here it appears the only deaths of Black American Soldiers were those under French command.....interesting but not the topic or an answer to my question.....but as it stands it appears there were more American Black Soldiers killed in WWI than in WWII.

In WWII there were approx. 800 American Black Soldiers killed.....why are the stats available for WWII but not for WWI?

The number of American Black soldiers killed in WWI must be out there somewhere???

It is not just "Black Soldiers". There were also Latino and Asian soldiers. The military was simply not obsessed about "Racial Demographics" yet. Nobody was.

You also had American blacks who died when fighting with the Communists in Spain, nobody tracked those either. And the same in the Spanish-American War, or the Indian Wars. This obsession with how many of what race died is a rather recent thing.

It is not just "Black Soldiers". There were also Latino and Asian soldiers. The military was simply not obsessed about "Racial Demographics" yet. Nobody was.

You also had American blacks who died when fighting with the Communists in Spain, nobody tracked those either. And the same in the Spanish-American War, or the Indian Wars. This obsession with how many of what race died is a rather recent thing.
Yet....there are available statistics regarding the number of Black deaths in WWII

Perhaps WWI is just not that significant to the statisticians.

And that makes them any the less--where would we be without their efforts.

Yet....there are available statistics regarding the number of Black deaths in WWII

The answer is racist whites wanted to hide the number of blacks that got killed. It was white men’s White Privilege to die in war, so they weren’t going to let some blacks get that credit.

Well, tell you what then, bubba.

I already gave you a reference to a book that has the photographs of every soldier killed in WWI. Or you can go to the VA Archives and sift through hundreds of thousands of records yourself and compile the data that way.

Why don't you do it? Or have the UL, NAACP, BLM, or some other organization go to the cost and time to figure this out?

Myself, I find it rather lazy and silly that you are screaming that it has not been done yet. Well, if this is so important to you, do it yourself. All the records are public information, I gave you a link to a book that had lots of them, just not put in the format you want. Not my problem, if it is that important to you, do the research yourself.

And yes, I might have a curiosity as to how many American Indians died in that war. But ultimately, it is not that important to me. Because I do not classify levels of sacrifice by the color of somebodies skin.

I already gave you a reference to a book that has the photographs of every soldier killed in WWI. Or you can go to the VA Archives and sift through hundreds of thousands of records yourself and compile the data that way.

Why don't you do it? Or have the UL, NAACP, BLM, or some other organization go to the cost and time to figure this out?

Myself, I find it rather lazy and silly that you are screaming that it has not been done yet. Well, if this is so important to you, do it yourself. All the records are public information, I gave you a link to a book that had lots of them, just not put in the format you want. Not my problem, if it is that important to you, do the research yourself.

And yes, I might have a curiosity as to how many American Indians died in that war. But ultimately, it is not that important to me. Because I do not classify levels of sacrifice by the color of somebodies skin.
a book that has the photographs of every soldier killed in WWI?

That must be one big book....do you know how many millions died in WWI?

The total number of military and civilian casualties in World War I, was around 40 million. There were 20 million deaths and 21 million wounded. The total number of deaths includes 9.7 million military personnel and about 10 million civilians.

chrome-extension://mhjfbmdgcfjbbpaeojofohoefgiehjai/index.html

The total number of military and civilian casualties in World War I, was around 40 million. There were 20 million deaths and 21 million wounded. The total number of deaths includes 9.7 million military personnel and about 10 million civilians.

It appears that of all that approx 2 thousand black soldiers were also killed.

Also....approx a little over 50,000 white American soldiers were killed.

I have no idea how many of them were white supremacists.....maybe joe could tell you.

Also....one other thing comes to mind here......the term 'stolen valor'.....I really hate to mention it....but if you add up the total number of whites killed in all of our wars and then add up the total number of blacks killed in all our wars.....whilst keeping in mind the current attitude in the biden's regime's attitude towards White Soldiers then that term 'stolen valour' jumps up screaming in my mind.

Last edited:

It appears that of all that approx 2 thousand black soldiers were also killed.

Also....approx a little over 50,000 white American soldiers were killed.

I have no idea how many of them were white supremacists.....maybe joe could tell you.

Also....one other thing comes to mind here......the term 'stolen valor'.....I really hate to mention it....but if you add up the total number of whites killed in all of our wars and then add up the total number of blacks killed in all our wars.....whilst keeping in mind the current attitude in the biden's regime's attitude towards White Soldiers then that term 'stolen valour' jumps up screaming in my mind.

Stolen Valor is about people claiming to have served when they did not. It has nothing to do with the number of dead.

In WWI there were around 50,000 US casualties from the war itself. Another 63,000 died from other causes, most notably from the Spanish Flu epidemic.

If there were significantly fewer black soldiers killed in WWI it can be traced to two facts.
#1 - Blacks were not allowed in the US Marine Corp in WWI, and only served in labor or service positions in the US Navy.
#2 - Blacks were mostly used in labor and service in the US Army as well. Most never saw combat.

Forum List

Back