How much do you pay for health insurance, and does Obamacare impact cost?

TheDude

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2016
I'm real lucky, mine is approx.$80 a month for PPO. Covers nothing short of $1800, less a few check-ups and teeth cleanings for free. Dental up to $1,000 and no glasses. The "company" kicks in the rest of the premium. Most years the plan contributes to an account, say $900. With accumulation that would cover my max out of pocket and more, because I tend to avoid visits. It has been affected by Obamacare (documented), such as 70/30 Vs what was 80/20...............On another note, I just had a conversation with a guy who is self-employed. He pays $2800 a month for family of five. Wholly shit. That's near 70% my take home. I suspect he's wealthy and picking up the tab, so to speak.

Last edited:
I'm real lucky, mine is approx.$80 a month for PPO, basically equal a "bronze" plan. The "company" kicks in the rest of the premium. Most years the plan contributes to an account, say $900. With accumulation, it would cover the max out of pocket and more, because I tend to avoid visits. It has been affected by Obamacare (documented), such as 70/30 Vs what was 80/20...............On another note, I just had a conversation with a guy who is self-employed. He pays $2800 a month for family of five. Wholly shit. That's near 70% my take home. I suspect he's wealthy and picking up the tab, so to speak.
It's tax deductible for self employed...

Zero dollars. I go to the doctor once a year, for a required physical. In the last 10 years my personal total outlay for medical expenses has been less than $500. I'm not laying out $600 month for something that hasn't cost me that much in 10 years. I used to have Catastrophic Care Insurance, in the event something came up...but after Obamacare my carrier dropped that type of insurance.

Sure...there's the "penalty", but I'm self employed and Congress built no collection mechanism or penalty into the law...so, as long as I owe them, they'll never be broke.

"The only way that the IRS can collect the ACA penalty is if you pay it voluntarily, or if you're owed a refund."

Hopefully, after the repeal, we'll get something sensible...

Zero dollars. I go to the doctor once a year, for a required physical. In the last 10 years my personal total outlay for medical expenses has been less than $500. I'm not laying out $600 month for something that hasn't cost me that much in 10 years. I used to have Catastrophic Care Insurance, in the event something came up...but after Obamacare my carrier dropped that type of insurance.

Sure...there's the "penalty", but I'm self employed and Congress built no collection mechanism or penalty into the law...so, as long as I owe them, they'll never be broke.

"The only way that the IRS can collect the ACA penalty is if you pay it voluntarily, or if you're owed a refund."

Hopefully, after the repeal, we'll get something sensible...

This is good to know if true. My son is a fisherman with no insurance.

I could have paid a lot more, but Obamacare knocks down the price because I retired and am on a fixed income.

I just heard a guy on TV say more people on Obamacare voted for Trump than voted for Hillary and are they ever scared.

Oh, and I heard a business leader this morning say if they lose health care, they will apply for workmen's comp and that will cost him a lot more. His suggestion was that everyone have 3 or 4% of their income go to healthcare. Everyone, no exceptions.

I'm real lucky, mine is approx.$80 a month for PPO. Covers nothing short of $1800, less a few check-ups and teeth cleanings for free. Dental up to $1,000 and no glasses. The "company" kicks in the rest of the premium. Most years the plan contributes to an account, say $900. With accumulation that would cover my max out of pocket and more, because I tend to avoid visits. It has been affected by Obamacare (documented), such as 70/30 Vs what was 80/20...............On another note, I just had a conversation with a guy who is self-employed. He pays $2800 a month for family of five. Wholly shit. That's near 70% my take home. I suspect he's wealthy and picking up the tab, so to speak.
It's all based on how much you make. The less you make, the more help you get. And remember, just because you make less, doesn't mean you work less. People with no education work very hard to make ends meet. Especially if they have a family to support.

Through the hubby's work, for a 60/40 company contributing $700 to an account for some of the deductible/out of pocket, can carry over and build up the account it's $300 a month for two people, for a 70/30 it's $550 a month for the 2 of us.... I think his company pays nearly 70% of Matt's premium, but as his wife, they pay nothing for my share...no contribution.

Going to the exchange for Blue Cross/ Blue Shield individual plan for me alone, IF healthcare insurance was not available through his work is $1150 a month. 1 person....70/30 $2000 deductible, $6000 a year out of pocket before insurance kicks in paying 100%

Group Rate insurance through an employer is much cheaper than Individual Insurance policies....

My State stinks, there has never been competition here among insurers before the ACA....90% of those covered were with just 2 insurance companies....a duopoly....

it's still messed up, no one really wants to offer insurance here in Maine....

This lack of competition and I suppose the logistics of people being so spread out, makes insurance so so so expensive!!!

Oh, and I heard a business leader this morning say if they lose health care, they will apply for workmen's comp and that will cost him a lot more. His suggestion was that everyone have 3 or 4% of their income go to healthcare. Everyone, no exceptions.

I was a worker's comp adjuster. It's not that simple. The business leader is wrong. As for the 3-4% income, there would be some variables, and I still have a problem with free-loaders, and under the tables common in major cities like NY, LA, Chicago.

Last edited:
Through the hubby's work, for a 60/40 company contributing $700 to an account for some of the deductible/out of pocket, can carry over and build up the account it's $300 a month for two people, for a 70/30 it's $550 a month for the 2 of us.... I think his company pays nearly 70% of Matt's premium, but as his wife, they pay nothing for my share...no contribution.

Going to the exchange for Blue Cross/ Blue Shield individual plan for me alone, IF healthcare insurance was not available through his work is $1150 a month. 1 person....70/30 $2000 deductible, $6000 a year out of pocket before insurance kicks in paying 100%

Group Rate insurance through an employer is much cheaper than Individual Insurance policies....

My State stinks, there has never been competition here among insurers before the ACA....90% of those covered were with just 2 insurance companies....a duopoly....

This lack of competition and I suppose the logistics of people being so spread out, makes insurance so so so expensive!!!

Wow, $1150 a month for one person. Which plan was that?

Zero...and no the ACA doesn't affect me...
Of course it affects you. Try to figure out why. If you can't, I will explain it.
Please elaborate, just so I can know...
Hospitals, the drug companies, medical device companies all signed on to Obamacare because they knew they were getting funding to improve care and provide better service. Without Obamacare, that flow of money is gone.

People who no longer have healthcare will use the Emergency room at 10 to hundreds of times the cost of going with an insurance provider. That was what was happening in Romney's state which is why Romney and the Heritage Foundation came up with Romneycare in the first place. Romneycare became Obamacare with some major tweaking.

With more people going to the Emergency room, the cost of healthcare will become higher for everyone, not just people on Obamacare.

Let me know if you need further explanation. Will be happy to provide.

Wow, $1150 a month for one person. Which plan was that?
They offered one like that when I went to the Exchange. I think they called it Gold Plus or something. Not what I have.

Except ocare eats lots more than that for many......

I pay the IRS fine for not having insurance for me and my family, i've never have had insurance in my life I've always paid out-of-pocket. Insurance to me if it's mandatory is nothing more than legalized extortion. Something I will never use…

Zero...and no the ACA doesn't affect me...
Of course it affects you. Try to figure out why. If you can't, I will explain it.
Please elaborate, just so I can know...
Hospitals, the drug companies, medical device companies all signed on to Obamacare because they knew they were getting funding to improve care and provide better service. Without Obamacare, that flow of money is gone.

People who no longer have healthcare will use the Emergency room at 10 to hundreds of times the cost of going with an insurance provider. That was what was happening in Romney's state which is why Romney and the Heritage Foundation came up with Romneycare in the first place. Romneycare became Obamacare with some major tweaking.

With more people going to the Emergency room, the cost of healthcare will become higher for everyone, not just people on Obamacare.

Let me know if you need further explanation. Will be happy to provide.
I already knew all about that when they were trying to pass the ACA..I could see that easily as the motivation..The right was putting the blame on Kennedy for the closure of hospitals due to a bill he sponsored on rights of patients to receive care whether they had the money or not..
Yet I do not see how this affects me,, as I use the VA...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back