How Much of a Theist or Atheist are You?

How Much of a Theist or Atheist are You?

• Strong Theist

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • De-facto Theist

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Weak Theist

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Pure Agnostic

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Weak Atheist

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • De-facto Atheist

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Strong Atheist

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
Agreed the "myth" is up for debate, but the man seems certain to me due to the almost immdiate impact he had on society.
Nah. He had no impact on society. In fact his followers disappeared. The 5000 he fed with 3 fish and 2 loaves of bread didn't start churches, spread the word, erect statues or preserve anything.

So basically Paul went into Greece and those Greeks bought it hook line and sinker, just as many modern day Americans do. It blows my mind how gullible people are. Or look at Mexico. Did any Mexican ever witness Jesus perform miracles? Nope. But look how many of them are named Jesus today.

So the story is very impactful for people who are prone to being superstitious and then it's simple if you brainwash a person from age 2-18. The priest in my church tells the Lazuris story and the Jonah story like they are fact. Why does he do this? Because if they believe those stories then they'll believe Jesus walked on water and was the son of god.

No impact on society? An estimated 2+ billion Christians live on Earth now, roughly 1/3 of all people on Earth. The total world population at the time of Jesus was roughly 250,000.

Most of the world's universities, social structures, most magnificent architectural structures are due to Christian influence as is much of the literature, art, and music that has been preserved and has endured into modern times. The Bible has been the world's best selling book pretty much since the Gutenberg Bible was first published.

Most private social agencies, thrift shops, homeless shelters and ministries, ministries to lepers, addicts, orphans, and hands on ministries to some of the world's most poor and desperate people are founded and staffed by Christians. (Pretty much none by Atheists.)

With very few exceptions, almost all of the world's most prosperous nations were heavily influenced by Christian organization, philosophy, and doctrines. That would include the United States.

With very few exceptions, even in countries with little Christian presence, most of the world's calendars and the identification of the centuries are based in part on the agreed birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

Those who do not wish to believe this will of course pick this or that story or fact from the Bible and hold it up as evidence that it is all bunk. Many of those stories are indeed debatable as whether they are based on historical people or events or whether they are symbolic or parable to teach a concept. And it is legitimately debatable whether Jesus was God in human form or whether he was just a man.

But nobody with any intelligence or education is willing to say that Jesus of Nazareth never existed or that he did not have a profound affect on humanity as no other single individual ever has had.
The church was responsible for many wars, greed, power, torture, lighting people on fire... so ya, Jesus did have a big influence on western society.

Atheism and Islam and paganism have waged far more violence on the world's people than have small groups/sects of Christians or corrupt Popes who indeed did bad things. And the good that Christianity has done has outweighed the bad by a thousand fold. Those following man made religion no matter what its label are probably going to get it wrong though much may be harmless or even satisfying to those who practice it.

I don't excuse the politically motivated crusades or the Inquisitions or the Salem Witch Burnings or any other atrocities committed in the name of Christianity. But neither do I see any of those things as Christian acts but rather contrary to Christian teachings. To judge all of Christianity by those isolated and short lived acts or events is to dishonestly characterize Christianity as something it is not.
Just look at Christianity today, all the hate on gays, the church still sees women as second class citizens, the pope praying for the poor while holding a staff with a solid gold cross on it, still trying to control people, with offshoots of pedophilia, polygamy and mass suicide. So what was it again that they did for the good of society? Maybe I'll give them comforting people in times of death... What else?
That's a lot of strawmen you have there.

You are starting to sound like Michael HaShev. And he thinks he is the messiah.
He could be right. After all, it's been foretold:

Yes, he could. But it could also be that he is as bat shit crazy as you are too.

I'm bat shit crazy because I ask for real proof and you can't deliver any? :lol:

No. You are bat shit crazy because you spend so much resources talking about something you don't believe in.

Just looking for proof, nothing wrong with that. Or is there? :dunno:

But I have given you proof.

th

Albert Einstein and the Atomic Bomb

Einstein's greatest role in the invention of the atomic bomb was signing a letter to President Franklin Roosevelt urging that the bomb be built.

In April 1940 an Einstein letter, ghost-written by Szilard, pressed Briggs Committee chairman Lyman Briggs on the need for "greater speed" (Weart & Szilard, pg. 125+; Clark, pg. 680).

Einstein biographer Ronald Clark has observed that the atomic bomb would have been invented without Einstein's letters, but that without the early U.S. work that resulted from the letters, the a-bombs might not have been ready in time to use during the war on Japan (Clark, pg. 682-683).

According to Szilard, Einstein said the possibility of a chain reaction "never occurred to me" .:eusa_whistle:

how about lets not build the bomb instead ...
especially during a world war.

Would we have built the bomb without knowing that Nazi Germany was well on its way to having one? I think not. Though they could not envision how horribly effective and devastating the bomb would actually be, they did know it was bad enough that if Hitler got it before we did, the war would be lost.

And then, coming from a humanitarian Christian point of view, once the threat had been removed from Germany along with most of the scientists who knew how to create the threat, how could we justify using the bomb on Japan? And ultimately it was weighing 100,000 lives against the certain millions who would die if Japan was not defeated and if Japan had to be invaded to defeat it.

The bomb was cruel, horrendous, horrific, and so much more devastating that we ever imaged it would be. But ultimately, it was the humane thing to do.

And the ultimate result was that it would never be used again by anybody in war.
The bomb was cruel, horrendous, horrific, and so much more devastating that we ever imaged it would be. But ultimately, it was the humane thing to do.

th
th

sorry christian ... were there any not like you that actually thought it would not be used as their motivation for its construction - not if they wanted to be hired or recieve their pay check from the military. no 1st century free Spirits in that group.

th

Albert Einstein and the Atomic Bomb

Einstein's greatest role in the invention of the atomic bomb was signing a letter to President Franklin Roosevelt urging that the bomb be built.

In April 1940 an Einstein letter, ghost-written by Szilard, pressed Briggs Committee chairman Lyman Briggs on the need for "greater speed" (Weart & Szilard, pg. 125+; Clark, pg. 680).

Einstein biographer Ronald Clark has observed that the atomic bomb would have been invented without Einstein's letters, but that without the early U.S. work that resulted from the letters, the a-bombs might not have been ready in time to use during the war on Japan (Clark, pg. 682-683).

According to Szilard, Einstein said the possibility of a chain reaction "never occurred to me" .:eusa_whistle:

how about lets not build the bomb instead ...
especially during a world war.

Would we have built the bomb without knowing that Nazi Germany was well on its way to having one? I think not. Though they could not envision how horribly effective and devastating the bomb would actually be, they did know it was bad enough that if Hitler got it before we did, the war would be lost.

And then, coming from a humanitarian Christian point of view, once the threat had been removed from Germany along with most of the scientists who knew how to create the threat, how could we justify using the bomb on Japan? And ultimately it was weighing 100,000 lives against the certain millions who would die if Japan was not defeated and if Japan had to be invaded to defeat it.

And the ultimate result was that it would never be used again by anybody in war.

th
th

sorry christian ... were there any not like you that actually thought it would not be used as their motivation for its construction - not if they wanted to be hired or recieve their pay check from the military. no 1st century free Spirits in that group.
MLK Jr was a 4th century Christian.

An overwhelming majority of New Testament scholars and Near East historians find that Jesus was a real person but then there's the separating myth from fact.
You need to make up your mind. Did Jesus exist or didn't He?
The man maybe the myth no
Agreed the "myth" is up for debate, but the man seems certain to me due to the almost immdiate impact he had on society.
Nah. He had no impact on society. In fact his followers disappeared. The 5000 he fed with 3 fish and 2 loaves of bread didn't start churches, spread the word, erect statues or preserve anything.

So basically Paul went into Greece and those Greeks bought it hook line and sinker, just as many modern day Americans do. It blows my mind how gullible people are. Or look at Mexico. Did any Mexican ever witness Jesus perform miracles? Nope. But look how many of them are named Jesus today.

So the story is very impactful for people who are prone to being superstitious and then it's simple if you brainwash a person from age 2-18. The priest in my church tells the Lazuris story and the Jonah story like they are fact. Why does he do this? Because if they believe those stories then they'll believe Jesus walked on water and was the son of god.

No impact on society? An estimated 2+ billion Christians live on Earth now, roughly 1/3 of all people on Earth. The total world population at the time of Jesus was roughly 250,000.

Most of the world's universities, social structures, most magnificent architectural structures are due to Christian influence as is much of the literature, art, and music that has been preserved and has endured into modern times. The Bible has been the world's best selling book pretty much since the Gutenberg Bible was first published.

Most private social agencies, thrift shops, homeless shelters and ministries, ministries to lepers, addicts, orphans, and hands on ministries to some of the world's most poor and desperate people are founded and staffed by Christians. (Pretty much none by Atheists.)

With very few exceptions, almost all of the world's most prosperous nations were heavily influenced by Christian organization, philosophy, and doctrines. That would include the United States.

With very few exceptions, even in countries with little Christian presence, most of the world's calendars and the identification of the centuries are based in part on the agreed birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

Those who do not wish to believe this will of course pick this or that story or fact from the Bible and hold it up as evidence that it is all bunk. Many of those stories are indeed debatable as whether they are based on historical people or events or whether they are symbolic or parable to teach a concept. And it is legitimately debatable whether Jesus was God in human form or whether he was just a man.

But nobody with any intelligence or education is willing to say that Jesus of Nazareth never existed or that he did not have a profound affect on humanity as no other single individual ever has had.
Because if he was completely made up that'd be insane right?

What's amazing is 1/3 of humans buy the myth and the other 1/3 believe Mohammad was for real or Joseph Smith.

Isn't it odd so many believe the Mormon story? Does that make it valid?

You need to make up your mind. Did Jesus exist or didn't He?

Because if he was completely made up that'd be insane right?

What's amazing is 1/3 of humans buy the myth and the other 1/3 believe Mohammad was for real or Joseph Smith.

Isn't it odd so many believe the Mormon story? Does that make it valid?
Before you determine who God is, you must first believe there is a God. You don't, so everything you do on the who is a fools errand.

I believe in god but god within my mind is very much bigger then your concept.

He created evolution, science and made us in his imagine...Imagine as in made us able to create and consider the universe around us.
I don't believe for a second that you believe in God.

The church was responsible for many wars, greed, power, torture, lighting people on fire... so ya, Jesus did have a big influence on western society.

Atheism and Islam and paganism have waged far more violence on the world's people than have small groups/sects of Christians or corrupt Popes who indeed did bad things. And the good that Christianity has done has outweighed the bad by a thousand fold. Those following man made religion no matter what its label are probably going to get it wrong though much may be harmless or even satisfying to those who practice it.

I don't excuse the politically motivated crusades or the Inquisitions or the Salem Witch Burnings or any other atrocities committed in the name of Christianity. But neither do I see any of those things as Christian acts but rather contrary to Christian teachings. To judge all of Christianity by those isolated and short lived acts or events is to dishonestly characterize Christianity as something it is not.
But you just did it to Islam.

Christianity has a very evil history. No matter how many good things a lie does it's still a lie and this lie is holding us back intellectually.

For example denying global warming and evolution is very Christian thing to do. Stupid

Christianity has a very evil history. No matter how many good things a lie does it's still a lie and this lie is holding us back intellectually.

For example denying global warming and evolution is very Christian thing to do. Stupid
We are presently in an interglacial cycle. Our present temperature is well below the peak temperatures of previous interglacial cycles. Deny that.

Your problem is that you deny evolution. You deny that beings that know and create were predestined to exist by the laws of nature. We came from dust and we will return to dust. We were present when space and time were created, thus the universe knows itself.

I am a realist. I tend to believe in things that I can actually see or verify for myself. That said, I have never seen a "black hole" or many of the other celestial things that are supposedly out there in the universe. . . but I don't have any reason to doubt that they are (or could be) out there in existence. The same goes for "God."

For the most part, that would make me a "pure agnostic" but I don't like the definition given. It's not a "there is as much evidence for as there is against" aspect for me.

I simply remain open to the possibility.

Last edited:
4. Pure agnostic. It's the thinking person's position.

I agree, as a former pure agnostic I can tell you that you'll eventually realize there is some sort of higher power, assuming you're indeed a committed thinking man.

What it is is that humans have a difficult time facing their own mortality. There is really nothing more to it than that, IMO.

Whoa, you were doing until until you started preaching and insulting. There's no evidence the Jesus character existed. He may have been borrowed or cobbled together from local folklore and deified as it went along.

If you are going to insult people's intelligence then you need to back up your assertions. Clearly the religion had a great impact but all we know about Jesus is what was written long after he was said to have moved on and none of the fantastic stories are supportable., i.e., the multitude of rising dead at his death, torn temple curtain, day into night, earthquake, etc.

In fact the historians of the day not only do not mention any of that they don't mention Jesus (except the forged snippet of Josephus mentioning his brother James). That's odd.

The most important message ever and he couldn't be bothered to write anything down? And then the message gets to mankind at least a generation later in a different language? I used to buy it all but the more I learned and thought about it the more faith I needed.

If you are going to insult people's intelligence then you need to back up your assertions. Clearly the religion had a great impact but all we know about Jesus is what was written long after he was said to have moved on and none of the fantastic stories are supportable., i.e., the multitude of rising dead at his death, torn temple curtain, day into night, earthquake, etc.

Have you ever tried to find another way to interpret those events that conforms to reality?

For instance when Gandhi or Martin Luther King were assassinated it could easily be said that peoples hopes were dashed, day turned into night, and a great darkness fell over the land. Are you old enough to remember?

The veil of the temple being removed and the dead rising from their graves after Jesus was killed isn't an analogy that difficult to decipher is it? An earthquake comparable to an uprising or rioting perhaps?

Remember, there was no such thing as freedom of expression when these stories were written.

In fact the fact that the gospels were written after the destruction of Judea, the Temple and the slaughter,exile and enslavement of hundreds of thousands of Jews is all the more reason to look for what was buried and hidden within those fantastical stories and spread throughout the enemy empire..

Even when you claimed to be a believer did church teaching ever really sit right that Jesus was crucified because God loved the Romans so much???

Last edited:

Have you ever tried to find another way to interpret those events that conforms to reality?

For instance when Gandhi or Martin Luther King were assassinated it could easily be said that peoples hopes were dashed, day turned into night, and a great darkness fell over the land. Are you old enough to remember?

The veil of the temple being removed and the dead rising from their graves after Jesus was killed isn't an analogy that difficult to decipher is it? An earthquake comparable to an uprising or rioting perhaps?

Remember, there was no such thing as freedom of expression when these stories were written.
I have no need or desire anymore to twist words into anything that satisfies a preconceived belief. Your history is way off though. Stories of all types were in abundance, many religious in nature. Christians accepted some, others not. Gnosticism was widespread until the Catholic church solved that little problem.

I have no need or desire anymore to twist words into anything that satisfies a preconceived belief. Your history is way off though. Stories of all types were in abundance, many religious in nature. Christians accepted some, others not. Gnosticism was widespread until the Catholic church solved that little problem.

Ok, so you never really thought very deeply about it.

Without changing or twisting a single word, I showed you how day turned into night and a great darkness fell over the land during your own lifetime. If you re not old enough to remember ask someone who is and they will tell you that day turned into night is exactly what happened, unless they were on the opposing side.

Maybe you never had a reason before, but what's stopping you from thinking deeply about it now? Not to satisfy any preconceived belief, but to discover the truth?

Last edited:

Thank God they did.

Forum List

Back