how much warming from adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere is what we

I have explained this dozens of times, in a variety of ways, to you and your ilk. I cannot help but think that you are too dense to just pick it up easily and too obstinate to actually read for comprehension.

over and over and over again I have said that it is the sun that warms the surface, with atnospheric conditions adjusting the final equilibrium temperature. the net flow of energy and heat is always outwards towards space.

there are two types of backradiation. the first is temperature dependent blackbody radiation that would be present even without greenhouse gases. the second is GHG dependent by which certain wavelengths of surface IR radiation are stopped from exiting directly into outer space because they are absorbed and re-emitted in random directions, dispersing the energy into the atmosphere where it returns to the surface/finally escapes to space/or is added to the temperature of the atmosphere where it simply becomes part of the blackbody radiation. is that simple enough for you gslack? the atmosphere will always send backradiation to the surface because it is warm and gives off blackbody radiation. GHGs just add to that existing backradiation.

the surface gives off blackbody radiation according to its temperature. if there was no atmosphere it would simply exit into space, relative to (Tsur^4 - Tspa^4), where Tsur is surface temp and Tspa is space temp. if there is an atmosphere in place then the surface would give off radiation relative to (Tsur^4 - Tatm^4). because Tatm >> Tspa the power dissapated is much less. that difference is taken up into the heat sinks of the surface and atmosphere until the energy flowing out again matches the solar input but the surface is now at a higher equilibrium temperature.

planck-283-263.png

planck curves somewhat representative of surface and atmosphere temperatures. the surface is emitting more radiation and at a slightly higher energy wavelengths. when it absorbs the radiation from the lower curve, the area between the two curves is the energy available to go through the atmosphere and exit into space. it is a visual explanation of the second law of thermodynamics, it shows why heat always goes from warm to cool. there is more radiation from the warmer body to the cooler body.

is this a complete or even a good model? not really, especially if the atmosphere was only N2 and O2. the surface radiation would mostly escape, but a significant amount of heat would still be passed to the atmosphere by conduction, which would be spread by convection. it is only when GHGs are added that surface radiation starts being dispersed and substantially removed from radiation loss. water is the main GHG but it also adds a new method of transporting latent heat above the near surface bottleneck by increasing convection as heat pipes (humid air is ligher and therefore rises, until it is cool enough for the water to change phase releasing heat which can now escape). CO2 takes another bite out of the planck curve, dissapating 15 micron IR and returning some to the surface.

it does not matter that the surface and especially the atmosphere are not true blackbodies. we are concerned only with disturbances to the equilibrium, the equilibrium that has already been in place using heat sinks, convection, conduction, latent heat, and radiation.

with no atmosphere heat transport and energy loss is 100% radiation driven. as you add an atmosphere conduction and convection become increasingly important in heat transport. when you add GHGs the ratios between conduction, convection, latent heat, and radiation change again. the radiation blocked by doubling CO2 does not necessarily all go into raising the surface equilibrium temperature, it is likely that much of it is just diverted into other transport mechanisms to get it high enough to escape. Trenberth's cartoon already shows that the minority of low altitude energy escapes as radiation, especially if you take out the 10micron atmospheric window. only 26W/m2 pinball through the lower atmosphere now, closing it down even further is not making a huge change.

just to be specific about gslack's statement that I am backpedalling on back radiation....all the radiation from the atmosphere directed at, and reaching, the surface is absorbed and used to offset the outward radiation from the surface, a la planck curves. because the net radiation is almost always towards the atmosphere, the movement of heat is away from the surface. the surface temperature may rise incrementally with addition of GHGs but that is only because the solar input is not being fully balanced by surface output reaching outer space. like I have said dozens of times but gslack never seems to be able to comprehend the idea of equilibriums being being based not only on inputs but outputs as well. that is why he and SSDD and others have so much trouble understanding why solar input is only 160W but surface output via heat sink is 400W (surface output not top of the atmosphere output, which is in balance with solar input).

Sorry I didn't respond till now. I'm doing my roof so I had zero free time till now...

LOL, so if it's now that back-radiation does not warm the surface further, even though you believe in its existence, what difference does it make? If it's there but does nothing to warm the surface, than it's a moot point Ian...

So which is it now? Seriously dude you're waffling big time.. Before you stated it's role in warming the planet as fact minus the extremists claims, hence your luke-warmer status. Now you claim it's their but ineffectual in warming the surface more...

SO wtf? Make up your damn mind already dude. This is exactly the kind of thing I talked about from you. Waffling when it doesn't fit your belief system... You know it's BS, or you know it's not, time to man up.. Pick a side and face the music, you will be right or you will be wrong. It's called a risk and everyone should be ready to take some...

If it were a simple matter of hyped-science only but a sound theory, there would be some thing made to harness this backradiation property by now, if only for the press and the ability to shut up skeptics.. It's a flawed theory and based on an incomplete one...

There IS backradiation... Has to be.. Photons don't decide where to go depending on the destination temperature. NET FLOW is upwards. Doesn't violate ANY damn principle.. The warming of the lower trop simply acts to SLOW DOWN the ENERGY transfered from the Gray Body Surface upwards.. Remember the diff between POWER (instantaneous) and ENERGY (over time).

You and ssdd are stuck on the paradigm that this means the net warming direction changes. It doesn't.. Take the sun out of the picture. Desert at night.

1) What is the surface COOLING profile (over time) on a cloudless night?

2) What is the surface COOLING profile (over time) on a cloudy night?

THere's your backradiation effect..

THe reason your backradiation oven doesn't work >>>>>>> --- there's NO NET DOWNWARD FLOW --- ever..
((OK maybe BRIEFLY LOCALLY with warmer air aloft and other weather transients. ))

Check the plug.. That's what an electronics engineer always does first..

No you are missing the point here. Net flow, or absolute, IF there is back-radiation yet it cannot warm it's source it's a moot claim as far as AGW theory goes. If the process slows heat loss as you just said, and Ian now claims (despite past claims to the contrary by him) than it's an insulator and NOT a secondary heating mechanism.

An insulator does not create more heat, it slows heat loss. Now if Ian's previous claim via Dr. Spencer and co. is to be believed, backradiation can produce additional warming of the source. IF Ian is now claiming that it doesn't warm the source more but only slows heat loss, which we claimed all along, then he is in fact backpeddling from his previous claims..

Thermal properties of gases (especially GH gases due to additional the molecular bonds), are directly effected by their temperature. Meaning more heat in, the faster it sheds that heat. Same thing in reverse, less heat in the better an insulator they are. Further, and at that same time Add heat, and convection increases, remove heat and convection decreases.

Air minus convection is a great thermal insulator, add convection and it's a great heat dissipation/transfer system. We aren't discussing solid, liquid, or a porous material with trapped air pockets inside here, we are discussing air moving relatively freely and able to convect heat away very well.

As I said before and will continue to say, the entire system is an excellent heat pump, with limited thermal insulating properties. Limited by air flow and the inherent thermal properties of gases.

Compress the gasses to the point they are near liquid, a different story. But they aren't here and so they react as gases do to heat.

You can call it "net flow" all you want, the fact remains if the "back-radiation" that is claimed is actually going on, and as you and Ian say it has no effect on the warmer source, than it's a moot claim..

All things radiate some amount of heat, yet that does not mean that radiated heat can warm it's warmer heat source. Call it phase differential, call it wavelength variance, call it magic for all I care, the point remains it doesn't effect noticeable change in it's source.

If you heat up a iron bar until it's red hot, and wrap it in a blanket, it will still cool down, slower than without the blanket, but it won't get hotter, it will cool.

That's the very reason we cannot create perfect or even near-perfect heat engines. The entire process would require infinite or near-infinite reusable energy from a source.

PS.. Before I forget again. You're forgetting the wave-like properties of EM radiation. You are doing what Ian and Spencer does and treating it as a particle only. As SSD pointed out before if it's a particle, it can flow back due to the shear space available to miss the incoming source particle. But if it's a wave than it is a wave and cannot flow back towards it's greater source. What we have in our understanding right now is wave-particle duality, meaning to our understanding it shows properties of both equally. Dismissing the wave property to suit a theory makes the theory dubious at best. As I said before, the entire system reacts and responds more like a heat pump than an insulator. The thermal properties of gases and convection alone would lead to this conclusion, add in the complete failure of climate modeling and predictions based on them, the failure of rises in GH gases to show additional warming in the last decade and a half, and then realize that 180 years of CO2 increases and we have not even a 2 degree rise in temps globally.. Yet every year in my state we go from 90 degree and up summers and 30 degree and below winters, and this drastic drop is due to our position relative to the sun. SOmething which warmers and luke-warmers claim to have less an impact on climate then a trace gas...

Last edited:
The increased radiation returning to the earths surface indirectly warms the surface by reducing heat loss.

There is no increased radiation returning to the surface. The radiation moves, according to the laws of thermodynamics...towards cooler regions and more entropy. That's it unless you can prove otherwise and prove that the statement of the Second Law is wrong. I'm waiting. (tapping foot)

While you can calculate the energy moving in both directions, you cannot just ignore one side of the equation. We would cool very quickly if all 400W/m2 was actually escaping to space.

There is only one side of the equation. The other side is a fabrication, a hypothesis, untested, unobserved, and unproven.

You entirely neglect the proven, observed, and experimentally verified atmospheric thermal effect which does explain the temperature here on earth..only it doesn't need an ad hoc greenhouse effect to do it.

What is wrong with you? You ignore all the impossible results that logically follow from your bizarre interpretation of the SLoT and the diety that must decide which emissions and absorptions are allowed.

Bizarre interpretation? Are you kidding? Are you stupid? Are you a congenital liar?

Second Law of Thermodynamics: It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object.

I don't interpret the Second Law at all. I don't change one single word of the statement. Interpreting a law that says explicitly, in no uncertain terms that energy flow is one way is your purview Ian. You can't hold on to your beliefs as the law is written, so you must interpret it to say something else. Here is my argument in a nutshell...the actual statement of the Second Law.

Take another look at the statement of the second law and try to work up enough honesty to actually say which of us is interpreting..making claims that the law does not make.

As to what climate science says is happening with backradiation, here is the offical word:

IPCC FAQ said:
"Because the Earth is much colder than the Sun, it radiates at much longer wavelengths, primarily in the infrared part of the spectrum (see Figure 1). Much of this thermal radiation emitted by the land and ocean is absorbed by the atmosphere, including clouds, and reradiated back to Earth. This is called the greenhouse effect."

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-faqs.pdf

So not only do you interpret the Second Law of Thermodynamics to mean what you need it to mean, you have your own, non approved version of the greenhouse effect which does not jibe with the description that climate science itself has given. How many variations are there on that worthless pile of shit hypothesis? You have one, climate science has one, does thunder have his own version....who else?

And you claim that I am making bizarre interpretations. This is why you have the reputation of being a liar around here Ian.

Sorry I didn't respond till now. I'm doing my roof so I had zero free time till now...

LOL, so if it's now that back-radiation does not warm the surface further, even though you believe in its existence, what difference does it make? If it's there but does nothing to warm the surface, than it's a moot point Ian...

So which is it now? Seriously dude you're waffling big time.. Before you stated it's role in warming the planet as fact minus the extremists claims, hence your luke-warmer status. Now you claim it's their but ineffectual in warming the surface more...

SO wtf? Make up your damn mind already dude. This is exactly the kind of thing I talked about from you. Waffling when it doesn't fit your belief system... You know it's BS, or you know it's not, time to man up.. Pick a side and face the music, you will be right or you will be wrong. It's called a risk and everyone should be ready to take some...

If it were a simple matter of hyped-science only but a sound theory, there would be some thing made to harness this backradiation property by now, if only for the press and the ability to shut up skeptics.. It's a flawed theory and based on an incomplete one...

If one actually believes that the Second Law means what it says, that being, that radiation is moving relentlessly toards cooler regions and more entropy, then he must be saying that greenhouse gasses slow up IR radiation to some unspecified speed below the speed of light so that they can hang around and cause warming.

PS... Why don't you correct PMZ/ifitzme on their "sequestered CO2" BS? You know it's nonsense, yet you say nothing..

Can't do that. He has found himself some new friends. They have been having themselves a fine little circle jerk. He has gathered them around him like a hen gathers her chicks. They respect good old Ian because when they get backed into a wall and have no idea what to say, good old Ian can spout some bullshit that sounds far better than anything that they could make up and then all they have to do is say "what he says".

There IS backradiation... Has to be.. Photons don't decide where to go depending on the destination temperature.

Seriously flacaltenn, why do you guys keep claiming that there must be thought, or a decision regarding the direction radiation flows?

Do you question the law of gravity with the claim that a rock must "know" or "decide" which direction it must move when you drop it from your hand?

Or do you accept that the forces at work simply move the rock in the direction it must go?

Do you think that an electron "knows" or "decides" which direction it is going to move along a wire? Or do you accept that the forces of nature move that electron along because it must move in the direction of more entropy?

Do you question the laws of chemistry on the grounds that the chemicals must know how to react with other chemicals, or know what the other chemicals are and then decide what to do or do you accept that they behave as they do because the forces of nature dictate their invariable response to the other chemicals?

Do you think that water "knows" or "decides" to run downhill or do the forces of nature simply dictate the direction it will travel.

Do you question every single law of nature based on the claim that the object or objects in question must somehow know which direction to move, or what to do, or do you accept that the forces involved cause them to invariably do what they do with no need for conscious action whatsoever.

Considering the number of observable phenomena, including radiation of objects reacting, and moving, and chemicals reacting and every other observable phenomena of energy naturally moving towards a state of more entropy with no need for consciousness or decision, why on earth would you question the most fundamental law of nature which describes the most fundamental force. Energy moves in a direction of more entropy and it doesn't need to decide to move, or know which direction that is any more than a rock needs to know which direction the ground is when you drop it. It goes there because the force of gravity makes it go there and radiation moves towards a state of more entropy because a force of nature dictates that it move in that direction...all of it.

NET FLOW is upwards. Doesn't violate ANY damn principle..

You are right.. it doesn't vioalte any damned principle...it violates the most fundamental law of nature. It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object.

You and ssdd are stuck on the paradigm that this means the net warming direction changes. It doesn't.. Take the sun out of the picture. Desert at night.

I admit that I am stuck on the notion that a physical law means what it says and that when something is actually discovered, proven experimentally, and observed repeatedly that proves that law wrong, it will be rewritten to reflect the new paradigm. At this point in time, the second law doesn't make the slightest peep regarding two way net energy movement. Therefore, you and Ian are attempting to replace the most fundamental law of nature with hypothesis, theory, and as of today, questionable mathematical models.

Accept it as truth if you like, but don't expect for me to. If it becomes truth (doutful) and the law is rewritten to reflect it, then I am on board with you. Till then, it is you and ian who are interpreting laws of nature saying that they mean things that the do not, in fact say. That's your position in a nutshell. You don't agree with the statement of the Second Law and have yourself another senario which remains unobserved, untested, and unproven...but it works for you so you are going with it.

The two "no backradiation!" loons seem kind of lonely without the third loon, PolarBear.

Yes, it's a century of physics as known by the entire planet, vs. two bitter cranks on a message board. But if the cranks just rant loud and long enough, it will make them correct, because that's how the magic of the internet works.

PS... Why don't you correct PMZ/ifitzme on their "sequestered CO2" BS? You know it's nonsense, yet you say nothing..

Can't do that. He has found himself some new friends. They have been having themselves a fine little circle jerk. He has gathered them around him like a hen gathers her chicks. They respect good old Ian because when they get backed into a wall and have no idea what to say, good old Ian can spout some bullshit that sounds far better than anything that they could make up and then all they have to do is say "what he says".

Which is why I call them the 'quadruplets' and possibly 'quintuplets'. Now that Mamooth has returned, can Saigon be far behind? But you'll notice they all use the same style of posting, the same syntax, the same absurd cut and pastes, misspell the same words the same way. And they all try to drown the thread with interminably long masses of cut and pasted gray type because they can then giggle and point and slap each other on the back when somebody takes their bait and addresses that.

I am now convinced they don't have a clue what they are talking about and could care less about the topic. And you can rebut their posts until the cows come home and it won't change a thing.

A pity too as there are a number of us who would really enjoy discussing the pros and cons of climate change and the implications for all of us re the policy that the AGW religionists are tying to force on us. But the tag team won't allow it so most serious debaters have now moved on to other forums that this crew hasn't discovered yet.

Which is why I call them the 'quadruplets' and possibly 'quintuplets'. Now that Mamooth has returned, can Saigon be far behind? But you'll notice they all use the same style of posting, the same syntax, the same absurd cut and pastes, misspell the same words the same way. And they all try to drown the thread with interminably long masses of cut and pasted gray type because they can then giggle and point and slap each other on the back when somebody takes their bait and addresses that.

I am now convinced they don't have a clue what they are talking about and could care less about the topic. And you can rebut their posts until the cows come home and it won't change a thing.

A pity too as there are a number of us who would really enjoy discussing the pros and cons of climate change and the implications for all of us re the policy that the AGW religionists are tying to force on us. But the tag team won't allow it so most serious debaters have now moved on to other forums that this crew hasn't discovered yet.

So who agrees with SlackSacks theory that CO2 isn't part of the carbon cycle amd that plants get carbon from soil carbon?

This is pretty telling, as group behavior goes...

There IS backradiation... Has to be.. Photons don't decide where to go depending on the destination temperature. NET FLOW is upwards. Doesn't violate ANY damn principle.. The warming of the lower trop simply acts to SLOW DOWN the ENERGY transfered from the Gray Body Surface upwards.. Remember the diff between POWER (instantaneous) and ENERGY (over time).

1) What is the surface COOLING profile (over time) on a cloudless night?

2) What is the surface COOLING profile (over time) on a cloudy night?

THere's your backradiation effect..

THe reason your backradiation oven doesn't work >>>>>>> --- there's NO NET DOWNWARD FLOW --- ever..
((OK maybe BRIEFLY LOCALLY with warmer air aloft and other weather transients. ))

Check the plug.. That's what an electronics engineer always does first..

No you are missing the point here. Net flow, or absolute, IF there is back-radiation yet it cannot warm it's source it's a moot claim as far as AGW theory goes. If the process slows heat loss as you just said, and Ian now claims (despite past claims to the contrary by him) than it's an insulator and NOT a secondary heating mechanism.

An insulator does not create more heat, it slows heat loss. Now if Ian's previous claim via Dr. Spencer and co. is to be believed, backradiation can produce additional warming of the source. IF Ian is now claiming that it doesn't warm the source more but only slows heat loss, which we claimed all along, then he is in fact backpeddling from his previous claims..

Thermal properties of gases (especially GH gases due to additional the molecular bonds), are directly effected by their temperature. Meaning more heat in, the faster it sheds that heat. Same thing in reverse, less heat in the better an insulator they are. Further, and at that same time Add heat, and convection increases, remove heat and convection decreases.

Air minus convection is a great thermal insulator, add convection and it's a great heat dissipation/transfer system. We aren't discussing solid, liquid, or a porous material with trapped air pockets inside here, we are discussing air moving relatively freely and able to convect heat away very well.

As I said before and will continue to say, the entire system is an excellent heat pump, with limited thermal insulating properties. Limited by air flow and the inherent thermal properties of gases.

Compress the gasses to the point they are near liquid, a different story. But they aren't here and so they react as gases do to heat.

You can call it "net flow" all you want, the fact remains if the "back-radiation" that is claimed is actually going on, and as you and Ian say it has no effect on the warmer source, than it's a moot claim..

All things radiate some amount of heat, yet that does not mean that radiated heat can warm it's warmer heat source. Call it phase differential, call it wavelength variance, call it magic for all I care, the point remains it doesn't effect noticeable change in it's source.

If you heat up a iron bar until it's red hot, and wrap it in a blanket, it will still cool down, slower than without the blanket, but it won't get hotter, it will cool.

That's the very reason we cannot create perfect or even near-perfect heat engines. The entire process would require infinite or near-infinite reusable energy from a source.

PS.. Before I forget again. You're forgetting the wave-like properties of EM radiation. You are doing what Ian and Spencer does and treating it as a particle only. As SSD pointed out before if it's a particle, it can flow back due to the shear space available to miss the incoming source particle. But if it's a wave than it is a wave and cannot flow back towards it's greater source. What we have in our understanding right now is wave-particle duality, meaning to our understanding it shows properties of both equally. Dismissing the wave property to suit a theory makes the theory dubious at best. As I said before, the entire system reacts and responds more like a heat pump than an insulator. The thermal properties of gases and convection alone would lead to this conclusion, add in the complete failure of climate modeling and predictions based on them, the failure of rises in GH gases to show additional warming in the last decade and a half, and then realize that 180 years of CO2 increases and we have not even a 2 degree rise in temps globally.. Yet every year in my state we go from 90 degree and up summers and 30 degree and below winters, and this drastic drop is due to our position relative to the sun. SOmething which warmers and luke-warmers claim to have less an impact on climate then a trace gas...

Sorry I didn't read too far into that reply.. You're still not getting it.

You didn't answer my questions about the desert COOLING profile under 2 conditions..

The desert will cool at night WITH or WITHOUT clouds. But the RATES will be diff and the EQUILIBRIUM position will be different depending on the cloud "blanket"... If it loses LESS heat at night because of the thermal insulation effect of the clouds, it will start the day warmer than it normally would because of the RETAINED HEAT.. NOT ADDED HEAT from the back radiation.. Get it?? NOTHING ADDED to time integral of net flow.. Just RETAINED...

So will your "iron bar" reach a different equilibrium if you pump it daily for 12 hours with a little bit of energy.. Depending on whether the blanket is there or not.

All you're doing is adding a thermal resistance to a uni-directional flow.. That's how rates of flow according to thermolaws behave. THey radiate BOTH ways and establish a net flow. THe warmer object will cool SLOWER if interacting with a boundary that is raised in heat energy --- but still cooler than the radiating grey body.

No wave/particle discussion, no violation of any thermo law..

Last edited:
There IS backradiation... Has to be.. Photons don't decide where to go depending on the destination temperature.

Seriously flacaltenn, why do you guys keep claiming that there must be thought, or a decision regarding the direction radiation flows?

Do you question the law of gravity with the claim that a rock must "know" or "decide" which direction it must move when you drop it from your hand?

Or do you accept that the forces at work simply move the rock in the direction it must go?

Do you think that an electron "knows" or "decides" which direction it is going to move along a wire? Or do you accept that the forces of nature move that electron along because it must move in the direction of more entropy?

Do you question the laws of chemistry on the grounds that the chemicals must know how to react with other chemicals, or know what the other chemicals are and then decide what to do or do you accept that they behave as they do because the forces of nature dictate their invariable response to the other chemicals?

Do you think that water "knows" or "decides" to run downhill or do the forces of nature simply dictate the direction it will travel.

Do you question every single law of nature based on the claim that the object or objects in question must somehow know which direction to move, or what to do, or do you accept that the forces involved cause them to invariably do what they do with no need for conscious action whatsoever.

Considering the number of observable phenomena, including radiation of objects reacting, and moving, and chemicals reacting and every other observable phenomena of energy naturally moving towards a state of more entropy with no need for consciousness or decision, why on earth would you question the most fundamental law of nature which describes the most fundamental force. Energy moves in a direction of more entropy and it doesn't need to decide to move, or know which direction that is any more than a rock needs to know which direction the ground is when you drop it. It goes there because the force of gravity makes it go there and radiation moves towards a state of more entropy because a force of nature dictates that it move in that direction...all of it.

NET FLOW is upwards. Doesn't violate ANY damn principle..

You are right.. it doesn't vioalte any damned principle...it violates the most fundamental law of nature. It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object.

I admit that I am stuck on the notion that a physical law means what it says and that when something is actually discovered, proven experimentally, and observed repeatedly that proves that law wrong, it will be rewritten to reflect the new paradigm. At this point in time, the second law doesn't make the slightest peep regarding two way net energy movement. Therefore, you and Ian are attempting to replace the most fundamental law of nature with hypothesis, theory, and as of today, questionable mathematical models.

Accept it as truth if you like, but don't expect for me to. If it becomes truth (doutful) and the law is rewritten to reflect it, then I am on board with you. Till then, it is you and ian who are interpreting laws of nature saying that they mean things that the do not, in fact say. That's your position in a nutshell. You don't agree with the statement of the Second Law and have yourself another senario which remains unobserved, untested, and unproven...but it works for you so you are going with it.

Clear your head.. Take a breath.. You're in the desert at night..

Answer my 2 questions about the COOLING profile.. Is it gonna be warmer in the morning if there's a substantial cloud deck? Why? It's back radiation.. It's reducing the rate of Net flow UPWARDS. Nothing says that a colder body doesn't radiate. EVERY body with any heat radiates..

Remember that Second law knows nothing about quantum effects or EVEN THE STATISTICS of super sparse heat transfer.. When you reduce the DIFFERENTIAL temp of 2 bodies to almost ZERO -- your concept of the 2nd Law breaks down. Because particle for particle, they are bombarding each other almost equally. Say one shoots 20 photons per minute, the other 21 photons. THERE'S your "net flow".. A virtual cannonade broadside like in the pirate days and that extra ONE cannonball wins the day..

" if it's a particle, it can flow back due to the shear space available to miss the incoming source particle."

What the f is that?

Show the thermodynamic, second law statement that says, "*It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object."

First, heat isn't a thing. *It is a qualitative concept. *Heat is a net flow of energy.

There is no thermodynamic statement that says that energy will not flow from a low energy particle to a higher energy particle.

Clear your head.. Take a breath.. You're in the desert at night..

Answer my 2 questions about the COOLING profile.. Is it gonna be warmer in the morning if there's a substantial cloud deck? Why? It's back radiation.. It's reducing the rate of Net flow UPWARDS. Nothing says that a colder body doesn't radiate. EVERY body with any heat radiates..

If I am in the desert at night, and there is a substantial cloud deck, and I look at my hygrometer, I will surely see that there is much more humidity in the air than if the skys are clear. Water, even in its vaporous form, can, unlike any of the other so called greenhouse gasses, actually has the capacity to absorb, and hold on to heat. It has nothing to do with backradiation, it has to to with the relative humidity in the air and water's ability to store heat.

Remember that Second law knows nothing about quantum effects...

And in reality, neither do we. Your "quantum effects" are the product of mathematical models and remain to this day, and all days in the forseeable future, unmeasured, unobserved, undetectable, and unprovable. Thanks for the reminder, but the present paradigm is that energy flow is one way towards more entropy.....when the Second Law is rewritten to reflect what you believe, then, and only then will a new paradigm exist.

Because particle for particle, they are bombarding each other almost equally.

So you say, but you can't even begin to prove it. You may as well claim that a certain percentage of dropped rocks falls up because the forces that govern which way the rock fall aren't necessarily consistent, or just don't have time to deal with all of the dropped rocks.

Say one shoots 20 photons per minute, the other 21 photons. THERE'S your "net flow".. A virtual cannonade broadside like in the pirate days and that extra ONE cannonball wins the day..
[/quote]

It doesn't matter if all of the photons are moving towards a state of greater entropy. Why would you believe that any photon, or any other form of energy would be able to move towards a state of less entropy?

Which is why I call them the 'quadruplets' and possibly 'quintuplets'.

You do that because you're a gutless troll. You're helpless at science and logic, so trolling and personal attacks is all you've got.

But you'll notice they all use the same style of posting, the same syntax, the same absurd cut and pastes, misspell the same words the same way. And they all try to drown the thread with interminably long masses of cut and pasted gray type because they can then giggle and point and slap each other on the back when somebody takes their bait and addresses that.

Bullshit, liar. I do _none_ of that. My style is nothing like Saigon, PMZ, Ifitz, Numan or anyone. You're either a total 'effin retard, or a deliberate liar. My guess is a mixture of both.

Now you, you're unique in respect to your cowardice. You only jump out if you can hide behind the skirts of other posters, where you try a hit and run attack in safety. You contribute nothing positive to any discussion. Any thread you appear on is worse for your presence.

In other words, stuff the hypocrisy, troll.

Which is why I call them the 'quadruplets' and possibly 'quintuplets'.

You do that because you're a gutless troll. You're helpless at science and logic, so trolling and personal attacks is all you've got.

But you'll notice they all use the same style of posting, the same syntax, the same absurd cut and pastes, misspell the same words the same way. And they all try to drown the thread with interminably long masses of cut and pasted gray type because they can then giggle and point and slap each other on the back when somebody takes their bait and addresses that.

Bullshit, liar. I do _none_ of that. My style is nothing like Saigon, PMZ, Ifitz, Numan or anyone. You're either a total 'effin retard, or a deliberate liar. My guess is a mixture of both.

Now you, you're unique in respect to your cowardice. You only jump out if you can hide behind the skirts of other posters, where you try a hit and run attack in safety. You contribute nothing positive to any discussion. Any thread you appear on is worse for your presence.

In other words, stuff the hypocrisy, troll.

Oh, yes you do mr. troll! You clones are all alike. You have no imagination because imagination requires intellect. You guys cut and paste and try and bury the legit discussion of climate change because you don't care about science. You care only about politics. You are a political operative pure and simple.

Show the thermodynamic, second law statement that says, "*It is not possible for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object."

I already provided you with it once, but sure, here it is again. This particular source is the physics department at the University of Georgia...want to claim they aren't credible?

Second Law of Thermodynamics

Here are various other wordings that say the same thing.

http://www.sfu.ca/~mbahrami/ENSC 388/Notes/Second Law of Thermodynamics.pdf
LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0072383321/22360/study_guide_ch05.pdf
Second Law of Thermodynamics, 2nd Law of Thermodynamics | [email protected]
In the one from NASA, do bear in mind that all natural processes involving energy are irreversable.

There is no thermodynamic statement that says that energy will not flow from a low energy particle to a higher energy particle.

Actually, that is what every statement of the Second Law says. NOT POSSIBLE. There is no qualifier for particles. NOT POSSIBLE needs no qualifier.

Thermodynamics

0th law : Temperature can be measured.

1st law: Energy is conserved.

2nd law: Entropy always increases spontaneously to equilibrium. It does not decrease spontaneously.

3rd law: At zero temperature, there is zero entropy.

2nd law statements;

"The second law of thermodynamics says that the entropy of any isolated system not in thermal equilibrium almost always increases.

Entropy is: A thermodynamic property that is the measure of a system’s thermal energy per unit temperature that is unavailable for doing useful work"[1]

"*The is a state function, entropy S, which has the following properties:

For a very small incremental addition of heat to a system, δq, one will obtain a very small increment of entropy, dS, according to the relationship: * *d S = δq/T *, where T is the absolute temperature at the time and place of the heat transfer.
For an isolated system, any change over time in S is either positive or zero, that is: ΔS > or = 0"[2]

"The second law of thermodynamics states that "the entropy of an isolated system does not decrease". This is often taken to mean that "disorder always increases" and is frequently misinterpreted. Another way of putting it is "An isolated system's ability to do work decreases over time"."[3]

"The zeroth law of thermodynamics involves some simple definitions of thermodynamic equilibrium. Thermodynamic equilibrium leads to the large scale definition of temperature, as opposed to the small scale definition related to the kinetic energy of the molecules. The first law of thermodynamics relates the various forms of kinetic and potential energy in a system to the work which a system can perform and to the transfer of heat. This law is sometimes taken as the definition of internal energy, and introduces an additional state variable, enthalpy. The first law of thermodynamics allows for many possible states of a system to exist. But experience indicates that only certain states occur. This leads to the second law of thermodynamics and the definition of another state variable called entropy. The second law stipulates that the total entropy of a system plus its environment can not decrease; it can remain constant for a reversible process but must always increase for an irreversible process."

[5]"dS>0" for an isolated system

None of these say, or otherwise imply that energy absorbtion is dependent upon the relative difference in energy between two systems.

The incorrect statement is

dU2=0 and dQ=0 if U2<U1

There is no such statement!!!

---------
[1]
https://www.boundless.com/chemistry...rmodynamics/the-three-laws-of-thermodynamics/
[2]
The laws of thermodynamics
[3]
Second law of thermodynamics - RationalWiki
[4]
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/thermo.html
[5]
Thermodynamic equations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I already provided you with it once, but sure, here it is again. This particular source is the physics department at the University of Georgia...want to claim they aren't credible?

LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0072383321/22360/study_guide_ch05.pdf
In the one from NASA, do bear in mind that all natural processes involving energy are irreversable.

Actually, that is what every statement of the Second Law says. NOT POSSIBLE. There is no qualifier for particles. NOT POSSIBLE needs no qualifier.

Not one of them makes that statement. If you are so convined otherwise, pick one and quote it.

LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS

You need to know the difference between

heat Q change dQ
temperature T change dT
energy U change dU
enthalpy H change dH
entropy S change dS
closed system
open system

None of them say what your saying, in any various wording.

Last edited:
Watch and learn....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5tqM5GZnQ]The Second Law of Thermodynamics - Entropy - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back