How Old Is The Earth?

More evidence for a young earth

Hovid is a fraud

Though he styles himself "Dr. Kent Hovind" or "Dr. Dino", Hovind's known degrees are all from unaccredited institutions.

In 1971, he graduated from East Peoria Community High School in East Peoria, Illinois. He entered the accredited Illinois Central College, then transferred to the unaccredited Midwestern Baptist College in 1972, attaining a Bachelor of Religious Education in 1974. In 1988 and 1991 respectively, Hovind received a master's degree and doctorate in Christian Education through correspondence from (also unaccredited) Patriot University in Colorado Springs, Colorado

View attachment 53283

Hovid is a flaming kook with no science credentials

In addition

Sentencing, appeals, and imprisonment (2007–present)
After the convictions, Hovind was incarcerated in the Escambia County Jail as a "danger to the community" and a flight risk.[135] His wife would remain free until after the appeal.[136]

On January 19, 2007, Hovind was sentenced to ten years in prison with three years probation and ordered to pay the federal government restitution of over $600,000. During the sentencing phase, a tearful Hovind, hoping to avoid prison, told the court, "If it's just money the IRS wants, there are thousands of people out there who will help pay the money they want so I can go back out there and preach."[137] However, Hovind's court room behavior was in stark contrast to phone calls he made while in jail and played by the prosecution.[138] The tapes, posted online by the Pensacola News Journal, included one conversation with Kent and his son, Eric Hovind, planning to hide a motor vehicle title and property deeds to prevent the government from collecting the property to pay for owed debt.[139] At sentencing, he denied being a "tax protester",[138] but the prosecution,[108] an IRS spokesman,[138] and the Pensacola News Journal[7][131] used the term to describe him.

Kent Hovind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone who follows this guy and quotes him on anything scientific has a screw loose

As of 2013, Hovind claims four doctorates, in education, theology and biblical ministry with an honorary degree in divinity.[4]

His first Ph.D., obtained before his vacation in club fed:

1. is from Patriot Bible University, a degree mill. Patriot sells doctorates for approximately $2,000.
  2. is in "Christian education." Hovind ignores the "Christian" part, instead describing it merely as in "education."
  3. is not recognized by any legitimate university, professional association, or governmental agency. Patriot Bible University only offers "programs which are religious in nature" and their "degrees or diplomas have no state recognition."[12]
  4. is officially unavailable to the public. Real doctoral dissertations are readily available through libraries or online. On December 9, 2009, Hovind's dissertation was uploaded to WikiLeaks and that copy mirrors the substandard quality - with spelling and grammar mistakes typical of a high school student - previously described by the few who had read it.
  5. was reviewed by only one person, Wayne Knight, the president of Patriot. In contrast, the standard practice for PhD dissertations is four or five doctoral committee members.
His 2013 Doctorate of Biblical Ministry (D.Min) is also from Patriot. His dissertation was made for sale as an e-book, entitled What on Earth is about to Happen... for Heaven's Sake?: A Dissertation on End Times According to the Bible, and claims Jesus will return in 2028.

Hovid neglects to mention which institutions awarded the theological doctorate and honorary divinity doctorate, probably because - like the Patriot doctorates - they are also the educational equivalent of an online ordination by the Universal Life Church.

Hovid listed himself as "Dr." in the Pensacola phone book, which is unusual even for someone with a real M.D or Ph.D. His blog, however, warns supporters that any mail addressed to "Dr. Kent Hovind" at the prison where he resides will be returned by the prison's mailroom staff.

When Hovind says he "taught high school math and science," he really means he taught children at three private Christian schools run out of churches (one of which he founded). At no point did Hovind earn any recognized credentials that would allow him to teach at public school or any school that requires accreditation.

Despite having no scientific credentials or even an accredited degree, hovid presents himself as someone who understands the science of evolution better than people with advanced science degrees who research in labs and publish peer-reviewed papers. During his presentations, he sounds like an auctioneer or a used car salesman when he is attempting to make a point by getting his audience to buy a video or book from him. Many of his slideshows read like a top 10 list of commonly seen (and refuted) "evidences" for creationism that contain little to no actual data or proof. These arguments are interjected with unfunny "jokes" and anecdotes, which are topped off with a healthy serving of mined quotes.

Kents "doctoral" dissertation :laugh2:
https://file.wikileaks.org/file/kent-hovind-doctoral-dissertation.pdf

6,000 years or 4.1 billion?

Here is one argument .....

How Old Is the Earth?

"The age of the earth debate ultimately comes down to this foundational question: Are we trusting man’s imperfect and changing ideas and assumptions about the past? Or are we trusting God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past, including the creation of the world, Noah’s global flood, and the age of the earth?"
answersingenesis?

mock if you want... here's another...

Evidence for a Young World | The Institute for Creation Research
mock?

Why not be upfront?

How Old Is the Earth?

"The age of the earth debate ultimately comes down to this foundational question: Are we trusting man’s imperfect and changing ideas and assumptions about the past? Or are we trusting God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past, including the creation of the world, Noah’s global flood, and the age of the earth?"
answersingenesis?

mock if you want... here's another...

Evidence for a Young World | The Institute for Creation Research
mock?

Why not be upfront?

Why not ? Seems most people here would rather just make jokes about it rather than really discuss it. If I hit a dead end or don't have answer, I will admit it (not that I'm beneath making jokes about issues as well...)

There is a time and place for everything.....

You knew the link was from "answersingenesis" - if the information sounds accurate or even just interesting, I'll share.

You knew the link was from "answersingenesis" - if the information sounds accurate or even just interesting, I'll share.
nope. There was no way, nothing about the link that was known to me until I rolled my cursor over it

answersingenesis caters to the science illiterates

The Creation Museum is just the latest microevolutionary development in the creation museum kind. While no one has ever observed one creation museum kind giving birth to another creation museum kind, there is plenty of variation within the kind (micro only, of course). The closest extant relative of Ken Ham's creation is the Creation & Earth History Museum (formerly called the Museum of Creation and Earth History), endemic to California, and created by the Institute for Creation Research.

The 7 Wonders Creation Museum occupies a completely different ecological niche. Located as a missionary somewhere near Mt. St. Helens this spacious double-wide trailer offers guided tours of the monument to Creation by a loving God that all volcanoes represent, but particularly this one. For a mere $10 you can send your kids to a summer camp where they can learn all about how Noah's Ark dealt with lava.

Speaking of double-wide trailers, Patriot Bible University alumnus and federal prisoner ex-con Kent Hovind has been offering children of all ages an adventure of a lifetime at Dinosaur Adventure Land. This Florida landmark has fallen upon tough times; it seems to have been built without a permit. But it is still up and running, and for your tax deductible donation gift of $7 all the wonders of Dr. Dino can be yours.

While Ken Ham is getting all the big press, another major creation museum opened in 2008. Big Valley Creation Science Museum up inCanada offers all the wonders one comes to expect from a converted garage.

As can be seen, there is a wide variety of trailers, garages, backyards, and abandoned warehouses vying for the money of Creation Science devotees. The question is whether Ken Ham's fully animated pumpkin-eating T. rex will be enough to overcome his competitors?
Creation Museum - RationalWiki

If the Op doesn't want to be mocked she should not post idiotic links to moronic sites that are about as far away from science then a dog is to a medical Dr

If the Op doesn't want to be mocked she should not post idiotic links to moronic sites that are about as far away from science then a dog is to a medical Dr

I don't care if you mock.... In fact, I said "mock if you want".... dummy!

are you talking to me? if so I started this thread, why would I want to stop watching it?

It turns out Earth is pretty old as planets in the habitable zone go.

How Old Is the Earth?

people that think the earth is 6k, are just fucking ignorant.

I'm not normally mean to people of faith, but claiming the earth is that young is the dumbest fucking thing possible.

we have civilizations that predate that time that wrote shit down.

cave paintings that go WAY back before even that.

6k years ago, a bunch of guys, that would one day be called old jews, sat down and came up with a 1 god religion b/c the pantheon religions were just nuts and hard to keep up with.

Take note, the easiest religions won;
god
allah
budda

all the rest are minor players

How Old Is the Earth?

people that think the earth is 6k, are just fucking ignorant.

I'm not normally mean to people of faith, but claiming the earth is that young is the dumbest fucking thing possible.

we have civilizations that predate that time that wrote shit down.

cave paintings that go WAY back before even that.

6k years ago, a bunch of guys, that would one day be called old jews, sat down and came up with a 1 god religion b/c the pantheon religions were just nuts and hard to keep up with.

Take note, the easiest religions won;
god
allah
budda

all the rest are minor players
4ktW8nz.jpg

These calculations result in an age for the Earth and meteorites, and hence the Solar System, of 4.54 billion years with an uncertainty of less than 1 percent.

Geologic Time: Age of the Earth

In your opinion, if this is/were true, does it necessarily "disprove" the existence of God, the Bible or merely the interpretation of the Bible and/or interpretation of what many Christians view as God?
The age of the earth is not a salvation issue. Young earth Christians, imo, are simply in error, nothing more. If they condemn other Christians because for believing in a much older earth, then they are both in error and wrong.

These calculations result in an age for the Earth and meteorites, and hence the Solar System, of 4.54 billion years with an uncertainty of less than 1 percent.

In your opinion, if this is/were true, does it necessarily "disprove" the existence of God, the Bible or merely the interpretation of the Bible and/or interpretation of what many Christians view as God?
The age of the earth is not a salvation issue. Young earth Christians, imo, are simply in error, nothing more. If they condemn other Christians because for believing in a much older earth, then they are both in error and wrong.
Much of Christianity is about condemning others. Christians will and can wrap themselves up in nice parts of their message, but that wrap is no consolation to those constantly condemned

Well, I'll soon be 72. I hope it lasts another few years before Obama has to draw another line in the sand.

How Old Is the Earth?

I have no evidence the earth existed before August 1956

I've never heard of any Christians claiming the Earth is only 6000 years old. Just because a few kooky Christians interpreted it that way doesn't mean most do. I certainly don't.

It's usually just rabid liberals running around proclaiming that all Christians believe this.

As for evolution and Darwin, they can't even explain how life sprung out of an inorganic universe.

Much of Christianity is about condemning others. Christians will and can wrap themselves up in nice parts of their message, but that wrap is no consolation to those constantly condemned

People use and abuse True Christianity for that purpose...it is sad and damaging

Forum List

Back