How the Christian Right's Homophobia Scares Away Religious Young People

I want you to open your heart and soul, Buford, from that far right parochial sense of religion instead of being christian to which you are enslaved.

You need to reconsider some things, particularly a male directed church,

I want you to cease your deceptive and anti-Scriptural hogwash.

Prove then it is anti-scriptural. Your soul is that of a Pharisee, who putteth a fence around the law of the book, and the march as a self-appointed sentinel for God's Word.

And Jehovah says, "Holy Spirit, have you tried over and over with Buford," and the Holy Spirit says, "Yea, Lord, and it is a soul of stone with which I contend in Buford and his congregation."

I love it when people who don't believe the bible try and tell us what it says. Funny stuff.

I spent well over 20 years doing Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night, therefore.

15 Ways the Bible Is Used by Christians and the GOP to Control and Malign Women | Visions | AlterNet

Reading the article. The commentary is misleading to say the least. They act like there is a fundamental principle of Christianity to enslave women. Which not at all the case.

I was particularly shocked to read this:

1. A wife is a man’s property: You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. Exodus 20:17

I've never once heard any Christian use this verse to argue that a wife is property.

And then there is ignoring the context of verses:

2. Daughters can be bought and sold: If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. Exodus 21:7

It completely ignores the previous verses specifically saying that the men could likewise be bought and sold. It also completely ignores this was a rule under the law of Moses which no Christian abides by because the Law was fulfilled through Christ. To argue that this is some fundamental principle of a Fundamentalist is an absolute lie. Not to mention it ignores the Revelations from God.

Oh and once again, I've never seen a Christian fundamentalist or otherwise use this verse to justify mistreatment of women.

3. A raped daughter can be sold to her rapist: If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives. Deuteronomy 22:28-29

This one does bother me. I've heard it interpreted to be a way for women to claim support from the criminal. But then I question parts of Deuteronomy due to the tampering the Deuteronomists made with Old Testament texts during the Reign of King Josiah.

I've still never seen a Christian fundamentalist or otherwise use this to justify mistreating women.

4. Collecting wives and sex slaves is a sign of status: He [Solomon] had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. 1 Kings 11:3

This verse is just plain out of context. The Lord is condemning Solomon for his wickedness in taking many wives and concubines and this site is trying to claim Christians look to this as evidence to justify mistreating women?! The Bible here is doing the exact opposite of what is being claimed here. It isnt saying that collect wives and concubines is good. It's saying Solomon has committed great sins in doing this.

Can you name a single Christian fundamentalist or otherwise who would use this verse to mistreat a woman?

In fact, I'm reading all these verses and I dont see a single one that's ever been cited by a Christian as justification to mistreat and abuse women. If there are any, it clearly isnt wide spread. I'd like to see an example of it though.

I'd also like to know how they ignore following verses such as:

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church (Eph 5:25, 28-29)

19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. (Colossians 3:19)

3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.(1 Cor 7:3)

An interesting passage in the Gospels where the Pharisees attempted to tempt Christ:

2 ¶And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery. (Mark 10:2-12, emphasis added)

I think there is a principle here that answers a number of the concern about the Old Testament verses. How many of these were merely allowed because of the hardness of the people's hearts? God, in His infinite patience, will allow people to make mistakes and patiently wait until they are prepared to hear more and live more righteously. Likely this is because He understands the Eternal perspective and the weaknesses of man far better than we do.

Peter added that we are to Honor our wives:

7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered

We are commanded to provide for our wives and our household in extremely strong words:

8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. (1 Timothy 5:8)

That verse likewise applies to the widows in our lives, particular those of our own family who should be able to call upon their family for support. In fact, we learn elsewhere that taking care of the widows and the fatherless are an essential element of true religion.

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

We are supposed to treat the women we meet as our mothers or sisters:

1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;

2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity. (1 Timothy 5:1-2)

The Bible clearly teaches these principles. No Christian man can read the Bible and ignore these versus and think to themselves justified in treating women badly without denying the faith.

But what do I know about the Bible? I'm just a Mormon:)

Prove then it is anti-scriptural. Your soul is that of a Pharisee, who putteth a fence around the law of the book, and the march as a self-appointed sentinel for God's Word.

And Jehovah says, "Holy Spirit, have you tried over and over with Buford," and the Holy Spirit says, "Yea, Lord, and it is a soul of stone with which I contend in Buford and his congregation."

Since you posted this, I have posted countless scriptures that demonstrates that the Bible teaches us to love, honor, adore, take care of, and respect women. I could likewise cite modern revelation to reinforce those Biblical scriptures.

I don't see Christians using those other scriptures to justify mistreating women. Maybe you do and can show Christians doing just that. I am not naive to think that all Christians are perfect. But I think those familiar with the Bible and who try to live it would be much more likely to cite the verses I quoted as reason to treat the women in their life well.

I just thought of a verse I probably should have cited showing where God wants us to treat women well:

12 ¶Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. (Exodus 20:12)

I should have quoted this earlier but I was thinking more wives than mothers at the time.

Why would Fundamentalist Christians or any other Christians ignore these and follow only the ones that can be spun to justify treating women badly?

There are an awful lot of Mormon and Christian adulterers then.

Sadly, I am sure there are. We don't exact live in a Zion society. We live in a very wicked and perverse society. We are corrupted and proud.

Which is precisely why it's important that we remind the people of these principles. It's time for the people to be called to repentence and to change their lives so the Lord will be Our God and we will be His people.

I think there are a lot more weirdoes who don't believe the Bible who use it to mistreat women, than there are who do believe the Bible and use it to that end.

For example, I could see the most fanatical of the anti-Christians on here try to use biblical verse to bring people (women, for example) to heel. They try to do it here. How many times have you had an anti-Christian yahoo say to you, "God hates you" and then citing some verse, out of context, meant to stop you in your traces? It happens to me all the time.

So it makes sense that they turn around and accuse Christians of universally doing the same thing. They think only in terms of themselves. They are small minded, mean people, driven by hatred....and that is what they see in others, and what they WANT to see in others.

That's pretty much the definition of evil.

koshergirl, I think I understand you, but you are writing confusedly.

Will you, please, rewrite more clearly what you are trying to say.

Or, Avatar4321, can you interpret what she is trying to say?

I do not want to respond until I get what she means.

I think there are a lot more weirdoes who don't believe the Bible who use it to mistreat women, than there are who do believe the Bible and use it to that end.

For example, I could see the most fanatical of the anti-Christians on here try to use biblical verse to bring people (women, for example) to heel. They try to do it here. How many times have you had an anti-Christian yahoo say to you, "God hates you" and then citing some verse, out of context, meant to stop you in your traces? It happens to me all the time.

So it makes sense that they turn around and accuse Christians of universally doing the same thing. They think only in terms of themselves. They are small minded, mean people, driven by hatred....and that is what they see in others, and what they WANT to see in others.

That's pretty much the definition of evil.

Read Timothy 2:12

Then STFU

Yeah, those who follow the latent homosexual Paul (it is better to marry than burn [in hell for homosexuality] ) on these issues are making big mistakes. On the other hand, Paul is the champion sufferer of adversity among the early apostles.

I want you to open your heart and soul, Buford, from that far right parochial sense of religion instead of being christian to which you are enslaved.

You need to reconsider some things, particularly a male directed church,

You uphold "The Book" and you dont' even know what it says. I've met a few like you over the years. Spiritual pride in a Christian is not pretty. Sad.

Yeah, those who follow the latent homosexual Paul (it is better to marry than burn [in hell for homosexuality] ) on these issues are making big mistakes. On the other hand, Paul is the champion sufferer of adversity among the early apostles.

Now the Apostlel Paul was a "latent homosexual". You're sick.

Read it until it makes sense. It's not confused at all.

You uphold "The Book" and you dont' even know what it says. I've met a few like you over the years. Spiritual pride in a Christian is not pretty. Sad.

You have described yourself well,

Now the Apostlel Paul was a "latent homosexual". You're sick.

No, Paul was, with himself, and he fought against the best he could. For him, it was better to marry than burn in lusts he felt perverted yet wanted. Explains much of his misogyny.

Read it until it makes sense. It's not confused at all.

It does not make sense to a reasonable human being. Try again,

Forum List

Back