How The Speaker of the House is Elected

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Betcha learn some stuff you didn't know from this OP. :D

The last sentence of Article 2, Section 2 of the US Constitution: "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment."

Notice anything?

The person the House elects to be Speaker of the House does not have to be a member of the House. The Speaker can be any citizen in America over the age of 25.

In fact, during this year's election of the Speaker, Representative Jim Cooper of Tennessee's 5th Congressional District voted for Colin Powell for Speaker of the House for some reason.

Jim's a Blue Dog Democrat who was clearly feeling squirrely that day.

Republican Brain Babin of Texas's 36th District voted, "Present!" Okay, wiseass.

If the House gets a bug up its butt, they can elect Donald Trump as Speaker. Or PewDiePie* (I think he's over 25...).

I know. Scary, right? The only thing between being a puerile celebrity and being second in succession to the Presidency is the votes of only 218 people.

Our Founders were...geniuses?

Also, all members of the House vote for the Speaker, not just the members of the majority party. But they usually vote along party lines. However, the minority party can always throw a monkey wrench into things by voting for a member of the opposite party they prefer over the "favorite" if it is a close race between the favorite and another person in the majority party.

*PewDiePie is the most popular YouTube star in the Universe. Why? I have no idea. I've never watched any of his videos, but my kids are crazy about him. There's one where he shocks himself with a shock collar every time he swears while he's playing a video game which is their favorite. And now you know more about Speaker of the House PewDiePie than you ever wanted to know from a footnote.

Last edited:
The founders were geniuses, genius. Thanks to bed wetters their foundation was undermined.

The president and senators were not supposed to be elected by popular vote, because that's how a mob of idiots get incompetent meat muppets into the WH not once but twice!

That's how murderers like Ted Kennedy stay in the senate, not to mention liars like Fauxcahontas Warren, Hitlary and Whory Reid.

Thank you Captain Obvious....

upload_2015-9-30_11-47-11.png

:confused:

The founders were geniuses, genius. Thanks to bed wetters their foundation was undermined.

The president and senators were not supposed to be elected by popular vote, because that's how a mob of idiots get incompetent meat muppets into the WH not once but twice!

That's how murderers like Ted Kennedy stay in the senate, not to mention liars like Fauxcahontas Warren, Hitlary and Whory Reid.

Huh? Total silliness!

The president is still elected by the electoral college

and with the State Legislators voting for US Senator there is EVEN MORE CRONYISM in that vote manner, than we the people voting for Senators....thus the change to us choosing.

Kennedy would still have been a Senator for all those years or even sooner and longer, if it had been the State legislators voting for him.

None of which has anything at all to do with the House of Representatives and the election of the Speaker of the House.

Since any American citizen over the age of 25 can be elected as Speaker of the House, the floor is open for nominations...

If the pay is good, I'd come out of early retirement for the Job, elect ME!!! :D
After assassinating Obama and Biden, what else would you do for us as Benevolent Dictator of the Republic?

I actually could see Donald Trump as Speaker of the House.

You give that guy the big gavel and some heads are gonna get bonked.

Betcha learn some stuff you didn't know from this OP. :D

The last sentence of Article 2, Section 2 of the US Constitution: "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment."

Notice anything?

The person the House elects to be Speaker of the House does not have to be a member of the House. The Speaker can be any citizen in America over the age of 25.

In fact, during this year's election of the Speaker, Representative Jim Cooper of Tennessee's 5th Congressional District voted for Colin Powell for Speaker of the House for some reason.

Jim's a Blue Dog Democrat who was clearly feeling squirrely that day.

Republican Brain Babin of Texas's 36th District voted, "Present!" Okay, wiseass.

If the House gets a bug up its butt, they can elect Donald Trump as Speaker. Or PewDiePie* (I think he's over 25...).

I know. Scary, right? The only thing between being a puerile celebrity and being second in succession to the Presidency is the votes of only 218 people.

Our Founders were...geniuses?

Also, all members of the House vote for the Speaker, not just the members of the majority party. But they usually vote along party lines. However, the minority party can always throw a monkey wrench into things by voting for a member of the opposite party they prefer over the "favorite" if it is a close race between the favorite and another person in the majority party.

*PewDiePie is the most popular YouTube star in the Universe. Why? I have no idea. I've never watched any of his videos, but my kids are crazy about him. There's one where he shocks himself with a shock collar every time he swears while he's playing a video game which is their favorite. And now you know more about Speaker of the House PewDiePie than you ever wanted to know from a footnote.
There has never been a Speaker who was not a member of the House.
Jim Cooper is my rep. He is an arrogant asshole who talks conservative when home but votes liberal when he goes to DC.

There has never been a Speaker who was not a member of the House.
Jim Cooper is my rep. He is an arrogant asshole who talks conservative when home but votes liberal when he goes to DC.

Just like most political whores. Even democrook whores pretend to be at least a little patriotic and less moonbatty.

Forum List

Back