How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist

If the agriculture business gets so screwed that it has to start paying people $18 an hour, Republicans will be the first ones begging illegals to come back now that they can't afford to eat :laugh:

Last edited:
From the article:

Farmers across the country have reported that they, too, are struggling to find farmhands. The dearth of ag labor seems to have reached a tipping point when the Obama administration stepped up border enforcement and deported millions of undocumented workers.

Perhaps partly because of the crackdown, plus the financial crisis of 2008, more Mexicans returned home than migrated to the United States from 2009 to 2014, for the first time in decades, according to the Pew Research Center.

The shortage of workers is one reason farms have cut back production of fruits and vegetables by 9.5%, costing growers $3.1 billion in lost revenue, according to a 2015 report by the Partnership for a New American Economy, a nonprofit that promotes immigration reform.

Some conservative here was complaining about the rise in food prices over the last few years. Damn I wish I could remember who it was. Oh well enjoy those rising prices folks.

Last edited:
From the article:

Farmers across the country have reported that they, too, are struggling to find farmhands. The dearth of ag labor seems to have reached a tipping point when the Obama administration stepped up border enforcement and deported millions of undocumented workers.

Perhaps partly because of the crackdown, plus the financial crisis of 2008, more Mexicans returned home than migrated to the United States from 2009 to 2014, for the first time in decades, according to the Pew Research Center.

The shortage of workers is one reason farms have cut back production of fruits and vegetables by 9.5%, costing growers $3.1 billion in lost revenue, according to a 2015 report by the Partnership for a New American Economy, a nonprofit that promotes immigration reform.

Some conservatove here was complaining about the rise in food prices over the last few years. Damn I wish I could remember who it was. Oh well enjoy those rising prices folks.
Right on cue. Same excuse Democrats used in 1860.

Vampires love it!

When people see the new supermarket prices for garlic they'll abandon it.

FEAST TIME IS A'COMING!

Bite, Drink and be Merry. Unless you're a trannie-vamp then you can just be Mary.

From the article:

Some conservatove here was complaining about the rise in food prices over the last few years. Damn I wish I could remember who it was. Oh well enjoy those rising prices folks.
Uh... no. We want to make them citizens. You're on the side of those back then who wanted to "ship them back to Africa."

From the article:

Uh... no. We want to make them citizens. You're on the side of those back then who wanted to "ship them back to Africa."
Dufus calls for open borders again.

No concept why they lost 1500 seats and Trump is President.

I will never get why the left always says there is jobs Americans refuse to do....they are retarded if you pay a high enough wage......

How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist

Christopher Ranch, which grows garlic on 5,000 acres in Gilroy, Calif., announced recently that it would hike pay for farmworkers from $11 an hour to $13 hour this year, or 18%, and then to $15 in 2018. That’s four years earlier than what’s required by California’s schedule for minimum wage increases.

Ken Christopher, vice president at Christopher Ranch, said the effect of the move was immediately obvious. At the end of last year, the farm was short 50 workers needed to help peel, package and roast garlic. Within two weeks of upping wages in January, applications flooded in. Now the company has a wait-list 150 people long.

Tell that to the right wing.

Missouri's governor says raising the minimum wage will take 'money out of people's pockets' — so he's lowering it

From the article:

Dufus calls for open borders again.

No concept why they lost 1500 seats and Trump is President.
I suspect we'll get them all back by 2020. Trump seems desperate to give them away.

You guys are dense .

Garlic guy is just poaching immigrant workers from the farms around him . Of course they jump ship for higher pay !

Other farms will have to match.

Duh that's how the competitive market works.
Gets the hike up for the rest of the workers.
It's done faster than government forced pay hikes.
Doing the government way puts a burden on small private businesses who can't afford it, then the business has to be closed or workers to be laid off.
That's their only 2 choices.

To keep crops from rotting in the field, farmers say they need Trump to let in more temporary workers

To keep crops from rotting in the field, farmers say they need Trump to let in more temporary workers

Boot 10 million illegals, first. Work on temporary visa program, second.
Ah love that logic

Boot 10 million illegals first.
Bankrupt farmers second.
Work on temporary visa program third.
There's that 1860 argument again.

Fun watching how Democrats have not changed in over 150 years.

$15 is not enough to live on in, around, or near Gilroy. I do however enjoy the Garlic Festival, it's a blast.

You guys are dense .

Garlic guy is just poaching immigrant workers from the farms around him . Of course they jump ship for higher pay !

Other farms will have to match.
Wow, that's horrible. People actually earning a respectable wage. It must be stopped!

Forum List

Back