How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist

From the article:

Farmers across the country have reported that they, too, are struggling to find farmhands. The dearth of ag labor seems to have reached a tipping point when the Obama administration stepped up border enforcement and deported millions of undocumented workers.

Perhaps partly because of the crackdown, plus the financial crisis of 2008, more Mexicans returned home than migrated to the United States from 2009 to 2014, for the first time in decades, according to the Pew Research Center.

The shortage of workers is one reason farms have cut back production of fruits and vegetables by 9.5%, costing growers $3.1 billion in lost revenue, according to a 2015 report by the Partnership for a New American Economy, a nonprofit that promotes immigration reform.

Some conservative here was complaining about the rise in food prices over the last few years. Damn I wish I could remember who it was. Oh well enjoy those rising prices folks.

You on the left didn't seem to mind rising grocery prices when we started to burn up our food supply to create ethanol.
Every Republican in ethanol states supports ethanol. Even Trump supports ethanol subsidies. NEXT.

Amnesia much from the lefts silly argument there are jobs Americans won't do?

That's the right's argument as to why they need immigrants to depress wages. The left has always said if you pay people, they will come. Don't be projecting your beliefs on to us.

Now, you appear to have amnesia concerning your claims that higher wages will destroy all American businesses.
No, you loonies said we had to have illegals to do the job that Americans won't do. Well your proven wrong.

If the agriculture business gets so screwed that it has to start paying people $18 an hour, Republicans will be the first ones begging illegals to come back now that they can't afford to eat :laugh:

Such hypocrites.

When $15.00 minimum wage is discussed, you on the left make claim it won't raise the cost of goods all that much, but talk about getting rid of immigrants which would raise labor costs naturally, people will starve because the price of goods will be so high. Which is it?
I don't really care about the minimum wage. I'm pretty fiscally conservative, but I can't reconcile the GOP's hatred of everything I love about this country.

Fucking Bear just argued for a $15 minimum wage. Love it.

Once again a retarded lefty can not figure out the difference between government artificially raising wages and the market .

Wouldn't the effect of the wage stay the same? If $15 is going to cause job loss and price increases via min wage, won't it do the same if caused by the market?

Not at all because it's not across the board. Each market will determine what wage will attract workers.

*Crickets*

Dafuck do you expect?

O wow man, dramatically raising wages brings in more workers. Who knew that would happen. What a revelation. You should write a book.

SMH

Or the products will cost to much?

You asshole.

Americans will do the jobs. If the fucking pay is good enough. Nobody ever said any different. Ya fucking hack.

That's not the Democrats stance. Their stance is we NEED immigrants to do the jobs Americans won't do. Need some examples of what they said?

*Crickets*

Dafuck do you expect?

O wow man, dramatically raising wages brings in more workers. Who knew that would happen. What a revelation. You should write a book.

SMH

Doesn't the right claim wages can't go up that high? Prices will go up. Jobs will be automated...

Sure, that can happen, but it would happen to more industries if we have an across the board minimum wage increase.

You guys are dense .

Garlic guy is just poaching immigrant workers from the farms around him . Of course they jump ship for higher pay !

Other farms will have to match.

So a domino effect. While I'm for a higher minimum wage than what is it presently $15.00 per hour is a little too high this will have a snowball effect on prices. If all farmers have to pay this to obtain employees what will be the end result? But as I think about it California needs a higher minimum wage because of the cost of living. But also if prices snowball across the country everyone will need a higher minimum wage. No clear answer.

Then guest workers can be used.
7.00 bucks an hr. goes a long in Mexico.
Both countries benefit.

You guys are dense .

Garlic guy is just poaching immigrant workers from the farms around him . Of course they jump ship for higher pay !

Other farms will have to match.

So a domino effect. While I'm for a higher minimum wage than what is it presently $15.00 per hour is a little too high this will have a snowball effect on prices. If all farmers have to pay this to obtain employees what will be the end result? But as I think about it California needs a higher minimum wage because of the cost of living. But also if prices snowball across the country everyone will need a higher minimum wage. No clear answer.

Then guest workers can be used.
7.00 bucks an hr. goes a long in Mexico.
Both countries benefit.
Is just basic economics. Its taught in all business classes.

From the article:

Farmers across the country have reported that they, too, are struggling to find farmhands. The dearth of ag labor seems to have reached a tipping point when the Obama administration stepped up border enforcement and deported millions of undocumented workers.

Perhaps partly because of the crackdown, plus the financial crisis of 2008, more Mexicans returned home than migrated to the United States from 2009 to 2014, for the first time in decades, according to the Pew Research Center.

The shortage of workers is one reason farms have cut back production of fruits and vegetables by 9.5%, costing growers $3.1 billion in lost revenue, according to a 2015 report by the Partnership for a New American Economy, a nonprofit that promotes immigration reform.

Some conservative here was complaining about the rise in food prices over the last few years. Damn I wish I could remember who it was. Oh well enjoy those rising prices folks.

You on the left didn't seem to mind rising grocery prices when we started to burn up our food supply to create ethanol.
Every Republican in ethanol states supports ethanol. Even Trump supports ethanol subsidies. NEXT.

And yet no leftist ever opposed ethanol. Trump (and any other Republican) is wrong on ethanol. It destroys engines, it creates more pollution than manufacturing gasoline, and it doesn't reduce dependency of oil.

I recently purchased all new lawn equipment for my properties. I always read the manuals even though I know quite well how to operate the equipment. Every single item I purchased warned about the damage caused in their product by too much ethanol in gasoline. They won't honor their warranty if you use gasoline with too much of that junk.

*Crickets*

Dafuck do you expect?

SMH

You asshole.

Americans will do the jobs. If the fucking pay is good enough. Nobody ever said any different. Ya fucking hack.

That's not the Democrats stance. Their stance is we NEED immigrants to do the jobs Americans won't do. Need some examples of what they said?

Sure. Full statements please.

To keep crops from rotting in the field, farmers say they need Trump to let in more temporary workers

To keep crops from rotting in the field, farmers say they need Trump to let in more temporary workers

Why just raise prices..we all know real Americans are not vegetarians anyways, only Pansy leftys...

See you left tards bitch about us eating cows and pigs because you bitch about cow farts and global warming..so how do you like it if you can't get rabbit food cheap on slave labor of brown people?

If the agriculture business gets so screwed that it has to start paying people $18 an hour, Republicans will be the first ones begging illegals to come back now that they can't afford to eat :laugh:

Such hypocrites.

When $15.00 minimum wage is discussed, you on the left make claim it won't raise the cost of goods all that much, but talk about getting rid of immigrants which would raise labor costs naturally, people will starve because the price of goods will be so high. Which is it?
I don't really care about the minimum wage. I'm pretty fiscally conservative, but I can't reconcile the GOP's hatred of everything I love about this country.

What would that be an be specific?

From the article:

And yet no leftist ever opposed ethanol. Trump (and any other Republican) is wrong on ethanol. It destroys engines, it creates more pollution than manufacturing gasoline, and it doesn't reduce dependency of oil.

I recently purchased all new lawn equipment for my properties. I always read the manuals even though I know quite well how to operate the equipment. Every single item I purchased warned about the damage caused in their product by too much ethanol in gasoline. They won't honor their warranty if you use gasoline with too much of that junk.

Try using ethanol in an outboard motor..only one place in town that I know is legit.

From the article:

Okay...

*Crickets*

Dafuck do you expect?

SMH

You asshole.

Sure. Full statements please.

It's so fun to live in a bubble ...weeeee look at me..I never heard any lefty say brown people will do jobs Americans won't.

Such hypocrites.

I'll start with hatred of diversity.

I will never get why the left always says there is jobs Americans refuse to do....they are retarded if you pay a high enough wage......

How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist

Christopher Ranch, which grows garlic on 5,000 acres in Gilroy, Calif., announced recently that it would hike pay for farmworkers from $11 an hour to $13 hour this year, or 18%, and then to $15 in 2018. That’s four years earlier than what’s required by California’s schedule for minimum wage increases.

Ken Christopher, vice president at Christopher Ranch, said the effect of the move was immediately obvious. At the end of last year, the farm was short 50 workers needed to help peel, package and roast garlic. Within two weeks of upping wages in January, applications flooded in. Now the company has a wait-list 150 people long.

The free market at work.

Such hypocrites.

I'll start with hatred of diversity.

No you want to say that illegals and legals are the same...

We have no problems with legals.

*Crickets*

Dafuck do you expect?

SMH

"The left"'s argument? :rofl:

Is that like "the right's" argument that raising minimal wages will put businesses out of business?

Forum List

Back