How to live without air conditioning

I grew up without air conditioning. My parents didn't get an air conditioner until a couple years after I married and moved out. I doubt you have any concept of what it is like to live in the south without air conditioning. You can gloat about your building materials all you want. But before you do, you need to realize that the humidity in your area is almost nil, but exceedingly high in my area. That means that a temperature that would be comfortable to you would be stifling to me. Here, one doesn't even have to cool the air very much. It is the removal of humidity that makes the difference. The housing projects all have air conditioning. Go convince the welfare queens and hoochie mammas to give up theirs first. Then report back. I will never do without air conditioning while paying for someone else to have it.

Your post is patently stupid due to you lack of experience and lack of understanding that the building materials in your area would melt in mine.

Don't you think "stupid" is a bit harsh.

I HAVE lived in the south through some very, very humid summers. I HAVE lived through those summers without a/c or even a swamp cooler which works pretty good.
There a lot of alternatives that, while not completely taking away the discomfort would ease it a great bit. Before judging, READ the entire article!!! :eusa_whistle:

Swamp coolers are great. As long as you have low humidity. They are useless here on the gulf coast .

Could Americans kick our addiction to cool? Maybe more happily than we think.

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

:eusa_whistle:

Try that shit here in Arizona.

I'll take a 115 with no humidity over 95 with it.
Arizona may be hot,but it aint got shit over the gulf coast.

I grew up without air conditioning. My parents didn't get an air conditioner until a couple years after I married and moved out. I doubt you have any concept of what it is like to live in the south without air conditioning. You can gloat about your building materials all you want. But before you do, you need to realize that the humidity in your area is almost nil, but exceedingly high in my area. That means that a temperature that would be comfortable to you would be stifling to me. Here, one doesn't even have to cool the air very much. It is the removal of humidity that makes the difference. The housing projects all have air conditioning. Go convince the welfare queens and hoochie mammas to give up theirs first. Then report back. I will never do without air conditioning while paying for someone else to have it.

Your post is patently stupid due to you lack of experience and lack of understanding that the building materials in your area would melt in mine.

I HAVE lived in the south through some very, very humid summers. I HAVE lived through those summers without a/c or even a swamp cooler which works pretty good.
There a lot of alternatives that, while not completely taking away the discomfort would ease it a great bit. Before judging, READ the entire article!!! :eusa_whistle:

I think saying it was stupid is a compliment. Swamp coolers don't work when the humidity is in the 100% range, which is routine in Houston on a summer day. Throw in the 100+ temperatures that you normally get there and you will know why air conditioning is mandatory unless you have a large block of ice and a huge fan.

Yeah..anyone who thinks they can survive without A/C has never spent a summer day in Houston. Shade doesnt help,and at times it doesnt get below ninety at night so it never cools down.

Could Americans kick our addiction to cool? Maybe more happily than we think.

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

:eusa_whistle:

Amen brother...................

I get to work in it again tomorrow. Soaking wet early a.m. doing electrical work in a live plant. So hot by lunch that sometimes I only eat crackers.

I visited my daughter in Austin the 4th, and they only had 40% Humidity. I thought I was in the A/C there............but this is my home so to the heat again...........

I'm in the A/C now and Love it.

i have STILL got the brand on my arm the latch on the shoulder strap made....:eek:

I dont know how you do it zona!!!

For three months you have to go from your a/c house, to your a/c car to your a/c job. Then reverse.

As far as the weekends, do things prior to 10 am. Early its high 80's. at 1200, its 110. But here is the thing, there is no humidity. None.

So, three months of hell, and the rest of the year, its San Diego weather with housing at half the price.

No problem.

I worked in Mohave near Needles California once. I liked the low HUMIDITY there. Even though it was HOT it didn't seem as bad to me without the Humidity. Not putting down your Heat index at all, but I could definitely feel the difference. The only problem with that is that the heat sneaks up on you in lower Humidity in my opinion as you don't sweat as much.

We built a Gas Turbine Plant there during the Cali black outs.

You actually sweat just as much. It just evaporates a lot faster which makes you feel cooler.
Thats the problem with humidity,your sweat doesnt evaporate it just sits there.

I went through most of my child hood without A/C. Houses built back then had a lot of windows and we owned many fans. Moving hot air was better than no air at all. We survived but it was hot. While in the Navy on older ships we had no A/C in berthing compartments. All we had were fans as well. In the Persian Gulf during the summer it's HOT..............WE woke up from sleep soaking wet from sweat a lot during those days.

STAY AWAY FROM MY A/C BUDDY OR ELSE...................

LOL

I was an ET, even on the hottest days, and nights, I wore my jacket. There were people that thought I was crazy.

The Electronic spaces had A/C even on the older ships that I served on. I once got a call to fix a fan in Combat. I was in the middle of pulling a Fire Pump out of Forward pump room. I went up there soaking wet, and it was Freezing to me up there. They said they were hot..........LOL...........So I took out a pen and gave the fan a PROP START and it turned on. They asked me how did I fix it.............I told them PFM and left. I think you know what PFM is.........Later I came back and put in a new fan.

I went through most of my child hood without A/C. Houses built back then had a lot of windows and we owned many fans. Moving hot air was better than no air at all. We survived but it was hot. While in the Navy on older ships we had no A/C in berthing compartments. All we had were fans as well. In the Persian Gulf during the summer it's HOT..............WE woke up from sleep soaking wet from sweat a lot during those days.

LOL

I was an ET, even on the hottest days, and nights, I wore my jacket. There were people that thought I was crazy.

Well, I was an AZ and in my offices in San Diego once, it almost got up to 79. 79! How did they expect us to work in such harsh conditions.

:)

Reg Nav bubba's, I dont know how you guys did it on ships. More power to ya.

Amen brother...................

I get to work in it again tomorrow. Soaking wet early a.m. doing electrical work in a live plant. So hot by lunch that sometimes I only eat crackers.

I visited my daughter in Austin the 4th, and they only had 40% Humidity. I thought I was in the A/C there............but this is my home so to the heat again...........

I'm in the A/C now and Love it.

I hear ya! We were out at Big Bend a couple weeks ago and 100 felt like 80.
But I'll still take the gulf coast heat over freezing my ass off in the winter.
I like being able to wear shorts year around and play golf and go fishing in January.

We too didn't have a/c until the early 70s. It's doable but not desirable. Where I live the humidity is incredible in July and August. Relatives live where the heat is just as bad, but almost no humidity. They do fine with just fans

We get wintertime with a vengance too but I can deal with it easier than the heat in someplace like Arizona. I know how to dress for winter, I don't stay inside all the time either.

(I used to hate to have to dig out a car or shovel in front of the house just to walk in the door).

I dont miss snow tires, gloves, hats etc etc.

Eh, its give and take really EXCEPT in San Diego. I lived there for 16 years and weather wise, it is perfect....all the time. Never turned on a heater and we never even had an A/C unit. Its bizarre in hind site.

There's a lot in Cali that I wouldn't want to deal with. Fires, earthquakes. I think Washington state might be good. I wouldn't want to leave the Great Lakes area though.

The state of California is pretty big, but specifically San Diego is perfect. It really is.

Rare....rare earthquakes (I lived through a couple, no big deal) and even rarer fires. (1 big one during my 16 years there and I saw ash. The fires were pretty far away.)

San Diego is the dream except for the cost of living. Loved being stationed there though. It was great and its 6 hours from here in a car and a very very quick flight. That is one of the reasons I picked Arizona to retire.

i have STILL got the brand on my arm the latch on the shoulder strap made....:eek:

For three months you have to go from your a/c house, to your a/c car to your a/c job. Then reverse.

As far as the weekends, do things prior to 10 am. Early its high 80's. at 1200, its 110. But here is the thing, there is no humidity. None.

So, three months of hell, and the rest of the year, its San Diego weather with housing at half the price.

No problem.

oh i agree.... i like it there.... you have a pappadeaux! :tongue:

Ok, that is funny. I was there a couple weeks ago with the people I work with. It is less than a mile from my job. Great Alligator!

:doubt:

I think saying it was stupid is a compliment. Swamp coolers don't work when the humidity is in the 100% range, which is routine in Houston on a summer day. Throw in the 100+ temperatures that you normally get there and you will know why air conditioning is mandatory unless you have a large block of ice and a huge fan.

Posters like you and sunshine are incredible assholes. You take a friendly conversational thread like this one and turn it into just another one of your hateful and personal attacks on people.

What must life be like inside your miserable little pea brains.

I am not here to make friends. I tried that on another board once, it ended bad.

No problem.

I worked in Mohave near Needles California once. I liked the low HUMIDITY there. Even though it was HOT it didn't seem as bad to me without the Humidity. Not putting down your Heat index at all, but I could definitely feel the difference. The only problem with that is that the heat sneaks up on you in lower Humidity in my opinion as you don't sweat as much.

We built a Gas Turbine Plant there during the Cali black outs.

You sweat just as much in the desert, it just evaporates quicker.

Swamp coolers are great. As long as you have low humidity. They are useless here on the gulf coast .

That is the part some people just don't get.

The housing projects all have air conditioning. Go convince the welfare queens and hoochie mammas to give up theirs first. Then report back. I will never do without air conditioning while paying for someone else to have it.

:fu:

you add nothing to the discussion. longknife made a well-reasoned debate topic & you come in here and bash him/play the race card? Start your own thread sugar tits.

128775426274198875.jpg

Last edited:

LOL

The Electronic spaces had A/C even on the older ships that I served on. I once got a call to fix a fan in Combat. I was in the middle of pulling a Fire Pump out of Forward pump room. I went up there soaking wet, and it was Freezing to me up there. They said they were hot..........LOL...........So I took out a pen and gave the fan a PROP START and it turned on. They asked me how did I fix it.............I told them PFM and left. I think you know what PFM is.........Later I came back and put in a new fan.

PFM still works for me.

They has some kind of problem in engineering one one of my cruises, the only working AC on the ship for a week was in the electronics areas and the control room for the reactor.

LOL

Well, I was an AZ and in my offices in San Diego once, it almost got up to 79. 79! How did they expect us to work in such harsh conditions.

:)

Reg Nav bubba's, I dont know how you guys did it on ships. More power to ya.

I spent a week on the Connie for a dental problem once, most of the crew was seasick because there was some heavy seas and the carrier was actually rocking. The only reason I noticed was that the juice in my cup was sloshing.

Swamp coolers don't work when the humidity is in the 100% range, which is routine in Houston on a summer day.

Not only is near-100% humidity not "routine", it falls in the "never happens on a hot day" category. I check the weather for Houston now, and see 91F/67%. What we consider unbearable humidity on a sweltering day rarely goes past 70% humidity.

Even 90F/90% never happens in the USA, except maybe in rare occasions in the Everglades, despite the common "It was 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity!" claims you hear from people.

Swamp coolers don't work when the humidity is in the 100% range, which is routine in Houston on a summer day.

Not only is near-100% humidity not "routine", it falls in the "never happens on a hot day" category. I check the weather for Houston now, and see 91F/67%. What we consider unbearable humidity on a sweltering day rarely goes past 70% humidity.

Even 90F/90% never happens in the USA, except maybe in rare occasions in the Everglades, despite the common "It was 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity!" claims you hear from people.

The humidity in TN is somewhere around 79% most of the Summer. Sometimes during the Winter.

Windbag :eusa_liar: :lol:

Forum List

Back