How to live without air conditioning

Swamp coolers don't work when the humidity is in the 100% range, which is routine in Houston on a summer day.

Not only is near-100% humidity not "routine", it falls in the "never happens on a hot day" category. I check the weather for Houston now, and see 91F/67%. What we consider unbearable humidity on a sweltering day rarely goes past 70% humidity.

Even 90F/90% never happens in the USA, except maybe in rare occasions in the Everglades, despite the common "It was 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity!" claims you hear from people.

Trying to prove how stupid you are?

You need to get on the phone with the NWS, they think the humidity in Houston is going to peak at 94% tommorrow.

Hourly Weather Forecast for 29.77N 95.39W (Elev. 52 ft)

Swamp coolers don't work when the humidity is in the 100% range, which is routine in Houston on a summer day.

Not only is near-100% humidity not "routine", it falls in the "never happens on a hot day" category. I check the weather for Houston now, and see 91F/67%. What we consider unbearable humidity on a sweltering day rarely goes past 70% humidity.

Even 90F/90% never happens in the USA, except maybe in rare occasions in the Everglades, despite the common "It was 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity!" claims you hear from people.

Windbag :eusa_liar: :lol:

I might be a windbag, but I mamooth was still wrong.

You could have just thanked me for the information.

You need to get on the phone with the NWS, they think the humidity in Houston is going to peak at 94% tommorrow.

Words means things. I said "sweltering".

That 94% humidity happens ... at 4 AM, when the temp is 78F. At 4 PM, when the temp is 94F, the relative humidity drops to 49%, hence proving my point.

That's how weather works. When temp goes up, air can hold more moisture, and so humidity drops, hence why you never see 90% humidity with 90F temps. And when temp goes down, relative humidity rises.

You got it wrong, I politely corrected you, and in response you snarled insults at me. How you proceed from here will show what you're made of.

We get wintertime with a vengance too but I can deal with it easier than the heat in someplace like Arizona. I know how to dress for winter, I don't stay inside all the time either.

(I used to hate to have to dig out a car or shovel in front of the house just to walk in the door).

I dont miss snow tires, gloves, hats etc etc.

Eh, its give and take really EXCEPT in San Diego. I lived there for 16 years and weather wise, it is perfect....all the time. Never turned on a heater and we never even had an A/C unit. Its bizarre in hind site.

There's a lot in Cali that I wouldn't want to deal with. Fires, earthquakes. I think Washington state might be good. I wouldn't want to leave the Great Lakes area though.

Only The Westside.
It gets hot here and Central Washington gets even hotter. It got up to 116 in the Tri Cities recently. People don't understand, a lot of that rain stops at the cascades.

That 94% humidity happens ... at 4 AM, when the temp is 78F. At 4 PM, when the temp is 94F, the relative humidity drops to 49%, hence proving my point.

That's how weather works. When temp goes up, air can hold more moisture, and so humidity drops, hence why you never see 90% humidity with 90F temps. And when temp goes down, relative humidity rises.

You got it wrong, I politely corrected you, and in response you snarled insults at me. How you proceed from here will show what you're made of.

There are times were it never gets below 90 even at night. So what you're claiming is not always the case. And the humidity will be well into he 90% range.

There are times where it never gets below 90 even at night. So what you're claiming is not always the case. And the humidity will be well into he 90% range.

Yes, it is the case, at least outside of tropical rainforest climates. 90/90 just doesn't happen in the USA. Day, night, doesn't matter. That combo yields a dew point around 88, which would have asthmatics dropping dead.

Can't read a graph either?

FYI, Houston happens to be built on swamp, which even you admitted produces high temps and high humidity, especially when there is a high pressure system with an inversion layer over the city.

(I used to hate to have to dig out a car or shovel in front of the house just to walk in the door).

I dont miss snow tires, gloves, hats etc etc.

Eh, its give and take really EXCEPT in San Diego. I lived there for 16 years and weather wise, it is perfect....all the time. Never turned on a heater and we never even had an A/C unit. Its bizarre in hind site.

There's a lot in Cali that I wouldn't want to deal with. Fires, earthquakes. I think Washington state might be good. I wouldn't want to leave the Great Lakes area though.

Only The Westside.
It gets hot here and Central Washington gets even hotter. It got up to 116 in the Tri Cities recently. People don't understand, a lot of that rain stops at the cascades.

I wouldn't say a lot, I would say it is more like almost all of it.

There are times where it never gets below 90 even at night. So what you're claiming is not always the case. And the humidity will be well into he 90% range.

Yes, it is the case, at least outside of tropical rainforest climates. 90/90 just doesn't happen in the USA. Day, night, doesn't matter. That combo yields a dew point around 88, which would have asthmatics dropping dead.

Trust me, they do.

Could Americans kick our addiction to cool? Maybe more happily than we think.

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

:eusa_whistle:
If we built houses as they did in the South before air conditioning, high ceilings, large windows, and large covered poaches, the heat would become more bearable w/o air. As a kid, I lived in the South with no a/c. We complained about the heat but we accepted it because a/c was not an option. Today, if you shut off all a/c in the South, you would have flood of immigrants to the northern states.

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

What did people do before air con was invented? Why do we rely so much on it? Because people are weak, and can't take a little heat.

I never had air con when I was a kid. Our homes just had the regular ceiling fans. My parents have installed air con since then, but if its hot, I won't turn it on - I don't need to.

On a 40 degree day, I go for a good, long walk. I like being outside in the heat. Some people can stand the heat, other people can't bear it if the temperature gets over 25 degrees and they rush to switch the air con on.

Idiots.

Try that shit here in Arizona.

That's exactly where the Indian pueblo societies lived. Ever visited the huge apartment complex south of Phoenix? Or the pueblos in the north. You might also check out the Indian reservations south of Tuscon.:eusa_whistle:

Try that shit here in Arizona.

That's exactly where the Indian pueblo societies lived. Ever visited the huge apartment complex south of Phoenix? Or the pueblos in the north. You might also check out the Indian reservations south of Tuscon.:eusa_whistle:
The old saying that it's not the heat; it's the humidity is very true. I have spent years in the southwest and the southeast. In the southwest, the heat becomes quite bearable in the evenings, not so in hot humid areas of the southeast where you wake-up at night drenched in sweat. Without a/c, the southeast would have never experience the huge economic development in the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Last edited:
Someone asked my experience living in the south.

I lived in Abilene, Texas for three years, 2 of them in a small house with nothing but three fans to stir the humid air to lower the discomfort level.

I also lived in Virginia/Washington, DC on three separate occasions.

What did people do before air con was invented? Why do we rely so much on it? Because people are weak, and can't take a little heat.

I never had air con when I was a kid. Our homes just had the regular ceiling fans. My parents have installed air con since then, but if its hot, I won't turn it on - I don't need to.

On a 40 degree day, I go for a good, long walk. I like being outside in the heat. Some people can stand the heat, other people can't bear it if the temperature gets over 25 degrees and they rush to switch the air con on.

Idiots.

We need AC because of Global Warming. :razz:

If we built houses as they did in the South before air conditioning, high ceilings, large windows, and large covered poaches, the heat would become more bearable w/o air. As a kid, I lived in the South with no a/c. We complained about the heat but we accepted it because a/c was not an option. Today, if you shut off all a/c in the South, you would have flood of immigrants to the northern states.

If we increased the cost of building houses by a factor of 5, simultaneously making them less energy efficient and harder to warm in the winter, we could reduce the need for AC? Does that really seem like a good idea to you? Should we go back to allowing slaves to fan the air at the same time?

If we increased the cost of building houses by a factor of 5, simultaneously making them less energy efficient and harder to warm in the winter, we could reduce the need for AC? Does that really seem like a good idea to you? Should we go back to allowing slaves to fan the air at the same time?

rw'ers & race. :clap2: What is it w/ you people? :eusa_eh:

128775426274198875.jpg

Idiots.

They had AC in the 2nd century.

I love the heat myself, I grew up where it used to break 40 for two or three weeks in a row, that does not change the fact that modern cities need AC.

check this out longknife: Then and now: Beating the heat - PhotoBlog

I think AC has made us soft/acclimated to refridgerated areas although there is a need for refrigeration to maintain foods or other health related area's
One thing is for sure, the future of a/c is bright considering weather patterns. Not only are people that never had a/c buying it but people are upgrading.

Forum List

Back