How Trump's tax returns can be viewed by House Committees....

Yep, keep pretending that a company name and a dollar amount will tell you something,
Of course, it would demonstrate that Trump is drawing income from nascent LLCs, as you can watch them pop in and out of existence over ten years of his returns. This is just step one of fleshing out his criminal money laundering and financial fraud.

Wow, what fantasy, take that to a judge and see if they'll issue a warrant, or laugh your ass out of court.

So where is the link to this real life example?
I have to provide a link to Nixon's tax returns being released? No, you can look that up yourself. Happy reading!

From what I've read, Nixon was the first to release his returns, no congressional committee compelled him to do so. You can find the link I posted in post 440.

Both can be true, you know. By the way, Nixon did so while under audit. You know, the reason Trump gives for not releasing his. And if you believe that, you will believe anything.

Nixon:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I have to provide a link to Nixon's tax returns being released? No, you can look that up yourself. Happy reading!

From what I've read, Nixon was the first to release his returns, no congressional committee compelled him to do so. You can find the link I posted in post 440.

Both can be true, you know. By the way, Nixon did so while under audit. You know, the reason Trump gives for not releasing his. And if you believe that, you will believe anything.

Nixon:

Ya got something that isn't hidden behind a pay wall?

Once again, claims with no evidence.
Except for posting the actual law and a real life example of it in use: the release of Nixon's tax returns by congressional committee vote under this very law.

So i think you really should pay more attention before opening your mouth.
So, the articles I'm reading on Nixon say that he released his returns on his own. They were not subpoenaed by committee and voted to be released.

"The custom of releasing tax returns began with Richard Nixon, Thorndike said.
In 1973, while under audit and amid a controversy over his personal taxes, Nixon released returns dating back to when he took office in 1969. The scandal led to one of Nixon's most famous quotes.
"People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook," Nixon told reporters in November 1973. "Well, I am not a crook."

Presidential tax returns: It started with Nixon. Will it end with Trump?

According to this article, he did so voluntarily.

Nixon:

It is? Huh, not for me. Yeah, look up the 9 to 1 vote to release Nixon's tax returns.

Nixon:

It is? Huh, not for me. Yeah, look up the 9 to 1 vote to release Nixon's tax returns.
"But a leak subsequently revealed that Nixon, despite having income of more than $200,000, had paid about the same amount of tax as families with incomes under $10,000. Outrage at this revelation eventually led Nixon to seek review of his taxes from the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation, which delegated the task to its respected nonpartisan staff. The staff ultimately found that Nixon owedalmost $500,000 in additional taxes over four years — roughly one-half of his net worth at the time. Because of the importance of the matter to the nation, the Joint Committee exercised its authority and voted 9 to 1 (three Republicans joined six Democrats) to release the staff report, including Nixon’s confidential tax return information, to the public."

Opinion | Congress has the power to obtain and release Trump’s tax returns

I could be wrong, but, Nixon had already requested the committees examine his returns, perhaps this is why they were able to vote to release?

Again, something like this would be in violation of the actual text of the law. I've not seen any wording that allows congress to vote to bypass the secrecy conditions.

In our previous exchange, I noted that the report to the secretary you had mentioned didnt appear to be related to tax return information, but to record keeping procedures.

I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing the law that allows congress to reveal what is obtained in closed executive session.

Nixon:

Nothing here substantiates your BS.

Kaine Muffs Trump-Nixon Comparison - FactCheck.org

Nixon:

Nothing here substantiates your BS.

Kaine Muffs Trump-Nixon Comparison - FactCheck.org

So?

Tax History Project -- JCT Investigation of Nixon's Tax Returns

IX. Reaction to the JCIRT Report

Notably, the JCIRT staff report declined to consider the possibility of fraud or negligence on the part of either Nixon or his aides. The pending impeachment investigation by the House Judiciary Committee might eventually require JCIRT members to pass judgment on various charges, including fraud. "The staff believes that neither the House nor the Senate members of the Joint Committee would want to have pre-judged any issue which might be brought in any such proceedings," the report explained.
Members of the joint committee endorsed the staff report by a vote of 9 to 1, with only Republican Sen. Carl T. Curtis in dissent. The members released it, along with all supporting documents, on April 4 -- the same day that the IRS announced it had concluded its second audit of Nixon's tax returns.

Coming Soon: Trump’s Tax Returns (or Maybe Not)

This guy indicates that there may be a way, if the ways and means committe requests them in closed session, they can then submit them to the house, and they would become public record. He does indicate, however, that they would have to have an appropriate purpose for requesting the information, and that they cannot expose his returns just for the sake of exposing then.

The article almost seems to indicate that congress can only act within article 1 powers, and they would have to make the request based on specific information they are looking for.

In other words, they cant make the request simply to see if anything is there, they have to have a proper legislative reason.

Can Congress Get President Trump’s Tax Returns? | Notice & Comment

This guy seems to think while it's possible, it will be very difficult for them to gain access to his returns, and that the IRS, who has been very good at keeping taxpayer information private, may refuse, unless the law compels them to do so.

The other thing he has mentioned is that the tax information they want to look at was submitted under the obama, Bush, and Clinton years. He explains that, if he submitted his tax returns while the IRS was under obama or Clinton control, and they approved them, if there were any wrongdoing, likely it would have been dealt with.

He says that the returns they should be requesting are the returns filed while the IRS has been under trumps administration.

Nixon:

"But a leak subsequently revealed that Nixon, despite having income of more than $200,000, had paid about the same amount of tax as families with incomes under $10,000. Outrage at this revelation eventually led Nixon to seek review of his taxes from the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation, which delegated the task to its respected nonpartisan staff. The staff ultimately found that Nixon owedalmost $500,000 in additional taxes over four years — roughly one-half of his net worth at the time. Because of the importance of the matter to the nation, the Joint Committee exercised its authority and voted 9 to 1 (three Republicans joined six Democrats) to release the staff report, including Nixon’s confidential tax return information, to the public."

Opinion | Congress has the power to obtain and release Trump’s tax returns

I could be wrong, but, Nixon had already requested the committees examine his returns, perhaps this is why they were able to vote to release?

Again, something like this would be in violation of the actual text of the law. I've not seen any wording that allows congress to vote to bypass the secrecy conditions.

In our previous exchange, I noted that the report to the secretary you had mentioned didnt appear to be related to tax return information, but to record keeping procedures.

I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing the law that allows congress to reveal what is obtained in closed executive session.

Here's an interesting read.

Preventing Congressional Violations of Taxpayer Privacy

Preventing Congressional Violations of Taxpayer Privacy by George K. Yin :: SSRN

Forum List

Back