🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

CDZ How Would You Set Up Federal Holidays?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Holidays are varied in type and means of celebrating. Some are paid days off, some are simply historical designations that generally do not give a day off, like Valentines Day and St Patricks Day.

Other 'holidays' are part of a sheen of day designations that hardly anyone but DJs on the radio seem to know, like Fish Food Day.

These are the current federal holidays:
  • New Year's Day (January 1).
  • Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Third Monday in January).
  • Washington's Birthday (Third Monday in February).
  • Memorial Day (Last Monday in May).
  • Independence Day (July 4).
  • Labor Day (First Monday in September).
  • Columbus Day (Second Monday in October).
  • Veterans Day (November 11).
  • Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November).
  • Christmas Day (December 25).
It is a pretty crowded schedule of ten holidays. Were it up to me, I would do four things:
a) add a secondary title to MLK's birthday as 'Civil Rights Day' and
b) Secondary title to Columbus Day that being 'Science Day'
c) and move Veterans Day to election Day, with election Day being the secondary title/purpose, and
d) make Christmas Day a 'Winter Solstice Day' and make it about celebrating Astronomy and the history of studying the Heavens and religion in general. I am amazed that all the bed-wetting atheists have not sued over this being a violation of the Separation Clause. But I think it should be a 'floater' that a person can use for their own personal primary Religious holiday, the default lining up with Christmas and Christmas being its secondary title.

The idea behind the secondary title is that if you dont like the primary purpose for whatever Reasons, you can celebrate it as a celebration of its secondary title. Also public schools and the media would be encouraged to discuss the secondary subject along with the first and how the two topics inter-relate.

I know everyone is going to hate the idea of replacing Christmas, but I dont feel like a nation that has lkegal abortion can seriously pay tribute to the Virgin Birth and until abortion is ended, celebrating Christmas in this country seems like the greatest act of hypocrisy imaginable. Besides, we are no longer a nation whose laws are grounded in Christian moral standards in any fashion, so why pretend otherwise?

I know everyone is going to hate the idea of replacing Christmas, but I dont feel like a nation that has lkegal abortion can seriously pay tribute to the Virgin Birth and until abortion is ended, celebrating Christmas in this country seems like the greatest act of hypocrisy imaginable. Besides, we are no longer a nation whose laws are grounded in Christian moral standards in any fashion, so why pretend otherwise?

Since Jesus never existed, we should probably stop calling Christmas a holiday.

I'm all for calling Columbus Day "Indigenous People's Day". Dump president's day altogether.

Why have "Federal holidays" at all? Why should taxpayers be saddled with providing 10 free and paid vacation days for federal workers who in the main do little to improve their lives in the first place?

You wanna take a day off to celebrate something? Use your own vacation time. That's what it's there for.

• Blacks get it off
  • Constitutional Fundamentalists get it off
  • Independents get it off, Dems and Reps go to work
  • Laborers get it off, banks stay open
  • Conquerors and aspiring Despots get it off

~S~

Get rid of all of them. Make federal employees use PTO like the rest of us for days off. In the meantime, go back to teaching civics in public schools to make up for any lost educational experiences.

My sister's work has two tier holidays. There are the the handful of major permanent holidays (New Years, Memorial, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas) but then they have "floating holidays" that change from year to year which may or may not include the others mentioned. It is a way to limit the total # of paid days off per year,

Holidays are varied in type and means of celebrating. Some are paid days off, some are simply historical designations that generally do not give a day off, like Valentines Day and St Patricks Day.

Other 'holidays' are part of a sheen of day designations that hardly anyone but DJs on the radio seem to know, like Fish Food Day.

It is a pretty crowded schedule of ten holidays. Were it up to me, I would do four things:
c) and move Veterans Day to election Day, with election Day being the secondary title/purpose, and
d) make Christmas Day a 'Winter Solstice Day' and make it about celebrating Astronomy and the history of studying the Heavens and religion in general. I am amazed that all the bed-wetting atheists have not sued over this being a violation of the Separation Clause. But I think it should be a 'floater' that a person can use for their own personal primary Religious holiday, the default lining up with Christmas and Christmas being its secondary title.

The idea behind the secondary title is that if you dont like the primary purpose for whatever Reasons, you can celebrate it as a celebration of its secondary title. Also public schools and the media would be encouraged to discuss the secondary subject along with the first and how the two topics inter-relate.

I doubt I would lose any sleep over it if they all ceased to exist as federal holidays.

The holidays are American tradition, people gather together to celebrate for different reasons its nice seeing people relaxing with there children family,
friends, & strangers.
most people who work get all or some of them off. canceling holidays because you don't like federal employees seems kind of petty. we are fighting & divided enough.

There should be one day where nobody goes to a store, buys had, orders a thing. It would be interesting to see the effects...a fun experiment. Call it save day. Also, no black black shopping.

All federal holidays should fall on a Saturday so Mr Businessman doesn’t have to pay His useless workers for doing nothing.

There should be one day where nobody goes to a store, buys had, orders a thing. It would be interesting to see the effects...a fun experiment. Call it save day. Also, no black black shopping.

Some regions of the country used to have "Blue Laws", which shut down most businesses on Sunday.

Get rid of all of them. Make federal employees use PTO like the rest of us for days off. In the meantime, go back to teaching civics in public schools to make up for any lost educational experiences.
Huh? Sorry that you are part of the minority of private sector employees that do not get paid holidays, but the majority of the 'rest of us' get paid holidays and ETO.

All federal holidays should fall on a Saturday so Mr Businessman doesn’t have to pay His useless workers for doing nothing.
Either you are being sarcastic or know absolutely nothing about business. Mr. Businessman doesn't have to as it is. He is under no obligation to pay private sector employees for federal holidays.

MLK day and President's day should be modified to promote a history lesson. MLK Day changed to "Great Americans Day" or some such thing. Have a commission that identifies a different "great" American every year, and the public schools will teach the kids about that person to celebrate the holiday. Same with President's day. Pick a president to be celebrated every year, then study that president in school and in the media.

Christmas is an anomaly, and should be celebrated as the Winter Solstice or something.

Labor Day has long been taken over by union workers, who actually comprise a small percentage of the population. I like a holiday at the start of September, but tweak it to be more inclusive, recognizing the contribution of ordinary Americans who work every day.

MLK day and President's day should be modified to promote a history lesson. MLK Day changed to "Great Americans Day" or some such thing. Have a commission that identifies a different "great" American every year, and the public schools will teach the kids about that person to celebrate the holiday. Same with President's day. Pick a president to be celebrated every year, then study that president in school and in the media.

Christmas is an anomaly, and should be celebrated as the Winter Solstice or something.

Labor Day has long been taken over by union workers, who actually comprise a small percentage of the population. I like a holiday at the start of September, but tweak it to be more inclusive, recognizing the contribution of ordinary Americans who work every day.

Plenty of people who are non-religious celebrate Christmas. I know Hindu people that put up a tree and exchange gifts.

There is no need to change names of things like this to satisfy the few people who have an issue over it.

I'd get rid of them all

Forum List

Back