Huckabee Backs Denying Abortion To 10-Year-Old Raped By Stepfather

GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee supports Paraguay's decision to deny an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim, he revealed in an interview Sunday.

In an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," the former Arkansas governor argued that the Paraguayan government's refusal to allow an abortion for the now-11-year-old, who gave birth last week after being raped by her stepfather, prevented a second tragedy.

"Let nobody be misled, a 10-year-old girl being raped is horrible, but does it solve a problem by taking the life of an innocent child?" he asked. He added later, "When I think about one horror, I also think about the possibilities that exist and I just don't want to think that somehow we discounted a human life ... Let's not compound the tragedy by taking yet another life."

Paraguay law allows abortion only “in very rare cases when it’s deemed necessary to save a woman’s life,” ThinkProgress noted.

Wow, a 10-year-old raped by her stepfather doesn't even qualify for an abortion in Huckabee's mind. That is barbaric! I can't imagine someone like him as president.
Well, two things here....

Has anyone in this thread brought to light the fact that 99.999999999% of 10 year old girls can't have babies?

And I'm curious.....what magic does an abortion do that wipes the trauma of rape from the mind of a 10-year old girl?

You mean like having to give birth and care for her rapist's child? Gee, I don't know. I guess God decided she needed a living doll.
Will killing the child cause the girl to forget the rape? Because I don't see how the murder of an innocent is going to make the little girls plight any better...

GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee supports Paraguay's decision to deny an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim, he revealed in an interview Sunday.

In an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," the former Arkansas governor argued that the Paraguayan government's refusal to allow an abortion for the now-11-year-old, who gave birth last week after being raped by her stepfather, prevented a second tragedy.

"Let nobody be misled, a 10-year-old girl being raped is horrible, but does it solve a problem by taking the life of an innocent child?" he asked. He added later, "When I think about one horror, I also think about the possibilities that exist and I just don't want to think that somehow we discounted a human life ... Let's not compound the tragedy by taking yet another life."

Paraguay law allows abortion only “in very rare cases when it’s deemed necessary to save a woman’s life,” ThinkProgress noted.

Wow, a 10-year-old raped by her stepfather doesn't even qualify for an abortion in Huckabee's mind. That is barbaric! I can't imagine someone like him as president.

Has anyone in this thread brought to light the fact that 99.999999999% of 10 year old girls can't have babies?

And I'm curious.....what magic does an abortion do that wipes the trauma of rape from the mind of a 10-year old girl?

Geez, are all conservatives rah-rah-ing against abortion really that stupid? It's not about the trauma in the mind of a 10 year old girl that prompts an abortion, it's about the risk to a child's life. Girls at 10 years of age are not fully equipped with the body to house a fetus and it can be fatal to them. Some have been able to do so, but why would anyone want to take the risk? Unless you don't give a damn about the 10 year old's life.

The part in bolded in brown very well describes conservative's antiquated way of thinking. They would let a 10 year old die before they would agree to abort a fetus.

Childbirth is a risky enterprise for a healthy grown woman – a woman of reproductive age in Paraguay for example, has a one in 310 chance of dying from from complications from labor. For a child, the risks are exponentially worse.

Children’s bodies are not meant to give birth. Dr Dalia Brahmi, the Director of Clinical Affairs at Ipas told me: “It is cruel to force a 10-year-old girl to carry her pregnancy to term”.

Dr Brahmi, who once worked at the World Health Organization in the Department of Reproductive Health and Research, told me: “very young adolescents [under 15 years old] have a high risk of eclampsia, infection, preterm birth and intrauterine growth restriction” compared to adult women.

The dangers are clear – and it takes a whole lot of magical thinking or straight up denial to think otherwise. Pregnancy for a child risks not only her emotional and mental health, but her physical health and possibly even her life.

Paraguay’s decision to remain the course has nothing to do with the actual risk to the child involved, but is all about their adherence to an antiquated, tortuous law that would rather see a child’s life at risk than admit their anti-abortion policies are too strict.

To make a 10-year-old give birth isn't just horrifying – it's life threatening | Jessica Valenti

Geez, are all conservatives rah-rah-ing against abortion really that stupid? It's not about the trauma in the mind of a 10 year old girl that prompts an abortion, it's about the risk to a child's life. Girls at 10 years of age are not fully equipped with the body to house a fetus and it can be fatal to them. Some have been able to do so, but why would anyone want to take the risk? Unless you don't give a damn about the 10 year old's life.

The part in bolded in brown very well describes conservative's antiquated way of thinking. They would let a 10 year old die before they would agree to abort a fetus.

Childbirth is a risky enterprise for a healthy grown woman – a woman of reproductive age in Paraguay for example, has a one in 310 chance of dying from from complications from labor. For a child, the risks are exponentially worse.

Children’s bodies are not meant to give birth. Dr Dalia Brahmi, the Director of Clinical Affairs at Ipas told me: “It is cruel to force a 10-year-old girl to carry her pregnancy to term”.

Dr Brahmi, who once worked at the World Health Organization in the Department of Reproductive Health and Research, told me: “very young adolescents [under 15 years old] have a high risk of eclampsia, infection, preterm birth and intrauterine growth restriction” compared to adult women.

The dangers are clear – and it takes a whole lot of magical thinking or straight up denial to think otherwise. Pregnancy for a child risks not only her emotional and mental health, but her physical health and possibly even her life.

Paraguay’s decision to remain the course has nothing to do with the actual risk to the child involved, but is all about their adherence to an antiquated, tortuous law that would rather see a child’s life at risk than admit their anti-abortion policies are too strict.

To make a 10-year-old give birth isn't just horrifying – it's life threatening | Jessica Valenti
So tell Me, how many 10-year old girls in American have reached puberty and can have children?

Remember this as well. This discussion isn't about an actual 10-year old being raped. Its about a law that permits the death of an innocent on the happenstance that a 10-year old girl is raped and becomes pregnant.

To me, anyone who thinks that an innocent baby isn't worth sparing is the scum of the earth.
To me, anyone who thinks a clump of cells (first tri-mester) or even a further along fetus is worth more than the full-grown woman (mother) when it puts her life at risk is not only ignorant, but insensitive to human life and worse than the scum of the earth.
Them babies are a form of human life too and to me anyone who puts themselves before an innocent child is the sorriest excuse for a human being.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Them babies are a form of human life too and to me anyone who puts themselves before an innocent child is the sorriest excuse for a human being.

You and so many others are putting your belief's ahead of the 10 year old child in the OP....and yes you are the sorriest excuse for a human being for doing that.

^^^ Not when we are taking another innocent person into consideration: the baby.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The girl was obviously not killed, so to me the baby should not be killed either especially when the baby didn't do anything to deserve such a horrid fate.

So tell Me, how many 10-year old girls in American have reached puberty and can have children?
What the hell does that have to do with the OP? And, if there was a 10 year old in the US that had been raped and gotten pregnant like in the OP, would you still be against letting her get an abortion? In the US she could get an abortion because abortion is legal, but you and the rest of the archaic conservatives are trying to take the country back-ward like it is in Paraguay.

Remember this as well. This discussion isn't about an actual 10-year old being raped. Its about a law that permits the death of an innocent on the happenstance that a 10-year old girl is raped and becomes pregnant.

Are you an idiot or what? The OP is about a "real" 10 year old that got raped and her country won't let her have an abortion, and one of your Presidential candidates thinks they are right.......that's how ignorant the conservative party is.

^^^ Not when we are taking another innocent person into consideration: the baby.
So, what makes you decide that the "baby" - which is not really a baby until it is born, but actually a fetus, is more innocent and more worthy of life than the 10 year old?

P.S. The girl was obviously not killed, so why should the baby have to go when it didn't do anything wrong either?
She was blessed not to, but what mother in her right mind would take the risk of letting their 10 year old possibly die to save a fetus? Only in conservo-whacko world.

Yea I see that happening. SMH

You clearly must have been raped before and felt compelled to kill the baby.

Never had an abortion. I have had two D&Cs for medical necessity and finally a hysterectomy because of fibroids.

I've know many girls and women that were victims of rape, abuse, genital mutilation and some escaping from being killed by family.

I've seen some of the horrors what what women have gone through and know some that eventually committed suicide. I've seen some of the desperation they have gone through in areas without support of females.

I've witnesses executions of women as well.

You listen to their stories and hold their hand. You do with you can to get them help but at the time there was little anyone could do. When no medicine was to be hand I shared folk and herbal suggestions but it can't help the mental and internal damage they suffered.

I still have nightmares from some of the things I've seen. Decades later they still haunt me.

Why should I be complacent about rape or abuse? Why should I not stand up for women's rights to their own body? Why should I let people try to take the right and choice away from women?

My experiences and knowledge make me more determined to speak. I might not be able to get around and physically be there but my fingers still work enough to share my voice.

People that try to suppress girls and women deserve to be stopped. It is not a matter of being pro-abortion but of being pro-women. Caring for the needs of women, for what they want, for their right to build back their lives, to heal.

Rapists and child abusers are up there near the top of my shit list. I'd like to put them all in front of firing squad but in the US, that is not possible.

If you have to question where my motivation stems from, you will never understand. You become part of the problem. You don't want to be the target of my venom, get out of the way. When I am dead I will stop speaking out.

I care about what the women need to move forward, beyond the abuse. What anyone else thinks is immaterial. We don't live in an ideal world without want or hurt. As long that is the case, "hear me roar".

Cogito, ergo sum, ergo dico

So you've never killed a baby, never been raped and you personally know women that have went through the horrors you describe. Tell me, how does killing an innocent life help?

How does producing an wanted child help but enslave a woman? Don't we already have far too many unwanted and abused children in the world? How does taking a woman's freedom and body for nine months and leave her mentally scared help?

Used to be that babies were left by the water's edge for the elements or animals to take. We don't do that any more. There are safe drops for children. How many unwanted children are born addicts or suffers some birth defect? What of women who never get or can't get proper prenatal care? What of children that are so uneducated, immature or ill prepared that they don't even know they are pregnant? That the abuse they suffer would have such results?

How does that help?

How many have miscarriage and don't even know what is happening to them and discard the result in the garbage.

In the first trimester it is not life. Even in later trimesters there are medical reasons for abortions.

What of the life of the child or woman? Is that not life? Do they not matter? How does enslaving them make things right? What of their needs? How do you put their life back together? How do they move on?

Women are given options the day before any abortion in a clinic. 24 hr waiting period. It is their body and their decision.

What of the 20% of women suicide victims that were pregnant? You care nothing of their health and life? Maybe they could have been saved?

If you don't understand and are ill prepared for what is happening to their bodies hormones and often depression while pregnant, many literally feel like they are going crazy. With proper diet and care in most women, it passes. For some it can lead to suicide.

We have to care the girl/woman first if we want them to have healthy children at some point in their life.

Still True: Abortion Does Not Increase Women’s Risk of Mental Health Problems

Children should be wanted and loved, not just a result of unwanted breeding of women like cattle.

There is a time and place for everything. Rape, failed birth control and health matters does not make it the right time for women. It would be ideal if all pregnancies were both wanted and perfect. They aren't. As long as we are so complex and our lives are so complicated the option of abortions are necessary for women's mental and physical health.

No woman casually opts for an abortion. It is a last resort.

Don't want a child? Don't engage in activities that would produce a child. Easy enough!

Be sure to tell that to women that are raped, idiot. And, be sure to see that the 10 year old in the OP gets your message, too.

Intelligent people knows that I'm not referring to those that are raped.

So, what makes you decide that the "baby" - which is not really a baby until it is born, but actually a fetus, is more innocent and more worthy of life than the 10 year old?

P.S. The girl was obviously not killed, so why should the baby have to go when it didn't do anything wrong either?
She was blessed not to, but what mother in her right mind would take the risk of letting their 10 year old possibly die to save a fetus? Only in conservo-whacko world.
Encouraging her daughter to do what she herself obviously did not have done would only turn her mother into a hypocrite.To me she should teach her daughter to be responsible and to me doing away with the baby is not a form of responsibility and in my opinion, it never will be.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Never had an abortion. I have had two D&Cs for medical necessity and finally a hysterectomy because of fibroids.

I've know many girls and women that were victims of rape, abuse, genital mutilation and some escaping from being killed by family.

I've seen some of the horrors what what women have gone through and know some that eventually committed suicide. I've seen some of the desperation they have gone through in areas without support of females.

You listen to their stories and hold their hand. You do with you can to get them help but at the time there was little anyone could do. When no medicine was to be hand I shared folk and herbal suggestions but it can't help the mental and internal damage they suffered.

I still have nightmares from some of the things I've seen. Decades later they still haunt me.

Why should I be complacent about rape or abuse? Why should I not stand up for women's rights to their own body? Why should I let people try to take the right and choice away from women?

My experiences and knowledge make me more determined to speak. I might not be able to get around and physically be there but my fingers still work enough to share my voice.

People that try to suppress girls and women deserve to be stopped. It is not a matter of being pro-abortion but of being pro-women. Caring for the needs of women, for what they want, for their right to build back their lives, to heal.

Rapists and child abusers are up there near the top of my shit list. I'd like to put them all in front of firing squad but in the US, that is not possible.

If you have to question where my motivation stems from, you will never understand. You become part of the problem. You don't want to be the target of my venom, get out of the way. When I am dead I will stop speaking out.

I care about what the women need to move forward, beyond the abuse. What anyone else thinks is immaterial. We don't live in an ideal world without want or hurt. As long that is the case, "hear me roar".

So you've never killed a baby, never been raped and you personally know women that have went through the horrors you describe. Tell me, how does killing an innocent life help?

How does producing an wanted child help but enslave a woman? Don't we already have far too many unwanted and abused children in the world? How does taking a woman's freedom and body for nine months and leave her mentally scared help?

Used to be that babies were left by the water's edge for the elements or animals to take. We don't do that any more. There are safe drops for children. How many unwanted children are born addicts or suffers some birth defect? What of women who never get or can't get proper prenatal care? What of children that are so uneducated, immature or ill prepared that they don't even know they are pregnant? That the abuse they suffer would have such results?

How does that help?

How many have miscarriage and don't even know what is happening to them and discard the result in the garbage.

In the first trimester it is not life. Even in later trimesters there are medical reasons for abortions.

What of the life of the child or woman? Is that not life? Do they not matter? How does enslaving them make things right? What of their needs? How do you put their life back together? How do they move on?

Women are given options the day before any abortion in a clinic. 24 hr waiting period. It is their body and their decision.

What of the 20% of women suicide victims that were pregnant? You care nothing of their health and life? Maybe they could have been saved?

If you don't understand and are ill prepared for what is happening to their bodies hormones and often depression while pregnant, many literally feel like they are going crazy. With proper diet and care in most women, it passes. For some it can lead to suicide.

We have to care the girl/woman first if we want them to have healthy children at some point in their life.

Children should be wanted and loved, not just a result of unwanted breeding of women like cattle.

There is a time and place for everything. Rape, failed birth control and health matters does not make it the right time for women. It would be ideal if all pregnancies were both wanted and perfect. They aren't. As long as we are so complex and our lives are so complicated the option of abortions are necessary for women's mental and physical health.

Don't want a child? Don't engage in activities that would produce a child. Easy enough!

Be sure to tell that to women that are raped, idiot. And, be sure to see that the 10 year old in the OP gets your message, too.

So, you are saying you are okay with a raped woman getting an abortion?

^^^ Encouraging her daughter to do what she herself did not have done would only turn her mother into a hypocrite.

Oh, I get it....to you "not being a hypocrite" is way more important than insuring the safety of the life of the child. Gotcha.

How does that help?

Nope, not saying it's ok. But it is more understandable.

^^^ Encouraging her daughter to do what she herself did not have done would only turn her mother into a hypocrite.
Oh, I get it....to you "not being a hypocrite" is way more important than insuring the safety of the life of the child. Gotcha.
To me, the safety of the baby should never be shoved aside like an old pair of shoes when its life matters just as much if not more.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

How does that help?

Nope, not saying it's ok. But it is more understandable.

More understandable....in other words, you would tell her you understand, but you still wouldn't allow her to get an abortion if it was up to you?

To me, the safety of the baby should never be shoved aside like an old pair of shoes when its life matters just as much if not more.

The life of the 10 year old is not important to you because? Why does the life of the fetus matter much more than the life of the 10 year old? I'm just trying to figure out why you think the way you do.

Can you imagine that the girl in Paraguay might in ten years from now be face to face with her rapist demanding his rights to the child or being forced to marry him and share a life with her rapist?
I don't know paraguay law, but in the US it could happen. You really think a victim should be faced with that in her future? No way to get her rapist out of her life?

It is one thing to be a rape victim of some random attack and another to know your rapist. A child raped for months or years having to be anywhere near the rapist ever again? To see the rapist in the face of the child? To be forced to share custody even while he is in jail? To be obligated by the court to take the child to see the rapist?

OMG! A swear the intelligence and the knowledge about women who have been victims of rape is next to nil, at least it seem that way judging by some of the posters.

No victim of rape wants to be reminded over and over of the rape. A girl or woman has be free to heal and move beyond and pick up the pieces of her life. Not nine month later or nineteen years later. The idea of being connected to the rapist is disgusting. I would have run in front of a bus. To meet him again, even the chance, to awaken the horrors all over again and be terrified and traumatized like it was just yesterday. That is insane.

Anyone that thinks a rape victim can wait nine month and just get beyond the rape is down right bonkers.

No rape victim should have to give birth and legally she is given the option of an abortion. No woman should ever have to live through a rape and she certainly should not have to be reminded over and over of what she experienced.

Most rape is by a man she or the family knows not some stranger. I'd shoot the man if I could and plead insanity. The though of seeing the man again would send chills down my spine. In some case where the girl might know the person, not report it and chance to meet the man in a social setting and not able to scream or attack him? In some places there is statute of limitation to report or charge the man.

The details and ifs and ors of every case should not be hashed out. This is not a law class.

No one should take the access of abortions away from the woman.

Yea I see that happening. SMH

You clearly must have been raped before and felt compelled to kill the baby.

How does that help?

So women on birth control should not desire sex because they are not do it to have children?
Men should not buy viagra because they have ED? Women after menopause don't enjoy sex? Women that have had their tubes tied or after a hysterectomy no long desire sex?

Gays don't enjoy sex since they are not procreating?

Are you out of your fr$%T^&* mind?

We are designed to enjoy and crave sex, and not just to procreate. Why do we have just good sex after we are pregnant or while nursing? Can't create while already carrying.

Where ever you are getting your theories, throw the book out, it is way way wrong

How does that help?

Wow! You really don't know how to have a good sex life if that is all you think of sex. You are not doing it right.
Maybe female viagra is an option to start the learning off on the right foot.......or finding the right man.

Humans and dolphines have sex for pleasure, not just procreation. We have evolved from the ape and heightened out senses for the physical and mental well being we get from sex. There are classes you can take to learn how to "enjoy" sex.

Number 3) Dolphins are one of the only animals to have sex for pleasure

This particular myth tends to pop up with regularity in conversation whenever the subject turns to sex. Even the writers at the ever vigilant snopes.com l end credence to this particular myth. The problem here is that volumes could be (and have been) written on the definition of sexual behavior in animals and the description of pleasure. It isn’t enough to simply go by the dictum that animals have sex to reproduce and therefore any sexual act occurring at times when egg fertilization is impossible must then be understood as occurring for reasons other than reproduction. The truth here is that animals almost never engage in a sexual act with the specific intent of producing offspring; during ovulation or otherwise. It is more accurate to state that animals (including humans and dolphins) are often driven to engage in sexual acts because the act itself is rewarding – it stimulates pleasure centers in the brain through the release of endorphins or other pleasure-inducing brain cocktails. The ultimate cause of this behavior is reproduction, but the proximate cause can be any combination of stimuli that happen to be present at the moment; pheromones, visual stimuli, etc. Occasionally these sexual acts occur at times when the female is not fertile, but it’s not a fertility-state that should be the litmus test for sexual pleasure – it should be the pleasure itself. So if you happen to spot two dung beetles engaged in a lengthy sexual act, you should still be able to state they these beetles are making whoopee for the sheer pleasure of the act itself. Who’s to say dung beetles don’t enjoy sex as much as humans do? Furthermore, what you and I might call a sexual act might be nothing of the kind for an animal like a dolphin. Dolphins often engage in forceful mounting behaviors involving erections that clearly do not involve reproduction, and in fact look more like social dominance or simple aggression. Is it fair to label this as sex for pleasure? Not really. It seems that the scope of the problem here is far too great to simply be summed up in a simple statement to the effect that dolphins engage in sex for pleasure and other animals do not. If it were this simple, we should all have great difficulty explaining why the neighbor’s poodle habitually mounts your leg whenever you pop over for a visit.

Top 5 dolphin myths - dispelled!

Now that we got that bullshit out of the way. Do you want to try again?

We evolved from apes? A theory that has never been proven.

More bullshit out of the way.

My point is that when a person engages in an activity that may result in becoming pregnant that they be responsible when and if the pregnancies occur. Killing an innocent life is not the only solution nor the last resort. People, particularly women need to think before they act. Abortion, in my opinion allows women to be irresponsible at an innocent life's expense.

UCSB Science Line

Forum List

Back