'I am not a Jew with trembling knees'

'Above one of the classroom whiteboards in the Jewish day school I attended as a child hung a poster featuring the face of former Israeli prime minister Menachem Begin alongside a quote: “I’m not a Jew with trembling knees.”

I would be tempted to say that our present circumstances call for a proud Jew to tell that to Joe Biden, but the fact is that he’s already been told — by Begin himself. In 1982, at a closed-door meeting of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Biden had threatened Begin with cutting off military aid for Israel’s offensive campaign in Lebanon. As Tevi Troy noted in the Wall Street Journal, the story went that Begin responded in fiery outrage:​

Forty-two years later, Joe Biden has learned nothing.
But we have learned who Joe Biden truly is. That he is doing exactly what he threatened Begin with over four decades ago suggests that Biden’s actions in pledging to withhold weaponry for an Israeli offensive into Rafah, however surprising they might seem to some, are drawn from a long-standing outlook toward Israel. In other words, Biden threatening to cut off aid to the Jewish state if it takes measures against its enemies is a feature, rather than a bug, of his decades-old policy.
Menachem Begin saw clearly. We can’t say we weren’t warned.

Why is Israel still on the dole?

^^^ and get a load of this antisemitic liberal. He thinks he gets away with it by adding in “decent Jews,” and then slamming “the Zionist regime.” And then, in case any doubt remains, he issues the blood libel lie about genocide.

^^^ and get a load of this antisemitic liberal. He thinks he gets away with it by adding in “decent Jews,” and then slamming “the Zionist regime.” And then, in case any doubt remains, he issues the blood libel lie about genocide.

Forum List

Back