I Can't Wait

As I watch the two major parties cater more and more to the fringes, it is just a matter of time before a new major party comes along which caters to the intelligent, critically thinking people who have rejected both of the current major parties.

I cannot wait for that day.

As we watch billionaires toy with the idea of running as independents, it is just a matter of time before some of them pool their money to supply the necessary resources to get a new major party off the ground.

Then we can truly make America great again. Then it will be a new morning in America.
Here's hoping.

As I watch the two major parties cater more and more to the fringes, it is just a matter of time before a new major party comes along which caters to the intelligent, critically thinking people who have rejected both of the current major parties.

As we watch billionaires toy with the idea of running as independents, it is just a matter of time before some of them pool their money to supply the necessary resources to get a new major party off the ground.

Then we can truly make America great again. Then it will be a new morning in America.

Already been tried...

Americans Elect - Wikipedia

The American people are too dumb to break from the duopoly

The American people are too dumb to break from the duopoly

Because things are going so awfully well in Europe...

105591272-1543157099477gettyimages-1065065988.600x337.jpeg

We have 3rd parties, Green Party, Libertarian Party, ect. In fact, we've had dozens of third parties, yet not one third party candidate has every occupied the White House. Also Third Party members rarely win congressional seats.

There're several reasons why there are no strong third parties.
First being the chips are stacked against any third party in congressional elections. For example, a third party might will 20% of congressional vote but unless they win majorities within the state, it gets no representation in congress.

Second, if a third party hit's on a message that's a winner with the public, the two major parties will incorporate that message into their platform. Just about ever major issue championed by Ross Perot was incorporated in the platforms of at least one of the major parties within two election cylces.

Lastly, just as with Congressional voting, the winner take all scheme makes it very difficult for third party presidential candidates. Electoral votes are given to whomever has the largest plurality, so getting 50+ percent of the vote in a given state or 40 percent in a three-way race are effectively the same.

When looking at polling for president there is always a strong vote for Other. However, in an election once a name and face replaces Other, those numbers disappear.

It's as if the founders really wanted a two party system to the exclusion of a multi-party system.

We have 3rd parties, Green Party, Libertarian Party, ect. In fact, we've had dozens of third parties, yet not one third party candidate has every occupied the White House. Also Third Party members rarely win congressional seats.

The so-called third parties in this country are specialty parties obsessed with some small ideological idea, and/or promoting extremist positions. There's the Jill Stein/Bernie Sanders radically leftist Greens, the ridiculously twisted inside out Ron Paul Libertarians, and so on. They are the opposite of what the OP is suggesting, which is a reasonably minded avenue that rejects the extremism all parties now represent.

The so-called third parties in this country are specialty parties obsessed with some small ideological idea, and/or promoting extremist positions. There's the Jill Stein/Bernie Sanders radically leftist Greens, the ridiculously twisted inside out Ron Paul Libertarians, and so on. They are the opposite of what the OP is suggesting, which is a reasonably minded avenue that rejects the extremism all parties now represent.
Most all 3rd parties specialize. They do that to differentiate themselves from the big two. If a third party's issues are essential the same as the democrats and republicans and they take a reasonable minded approach to the issues they will lose because that's not what most voter want to hear. People don't watch the presidential debates to hear a real debate. They're looking for gotchas and great one liners. They don't want to listen to a reasonable approach to abortion, immigration, or healthcare. They just want a candidate that will assure them that he'll get the job, not explain why nothing should be done or a comprise needs to be made, or agree with opposition. Sorry, that is not how you win elections.

Last edited:

Most all 3rd parties specialize. They do that to differentiate themselves from the big two. If a third party's issues are essential the same as the democrats and republicans and they take a reasonable minded approach to the issues they will lose because that's not what most voter want to hear. People don't watch the presidential debates to hear a real debate. They're looking for gotchas and great one liners. They don't want to listen to a reasonable approach to abortion, immigration, or healthcare. They just want a candidate that will assure them that he'll get the job, not explain why nothing should be done or a comprise needs to be made, or agree with opposition. Sorry, that is not how you win elections.

Everything you're saying substantiates what the OP is saying. Except you're failing to realize that those things are only true now. The current environment is not the way our politics have traditionally been. The Republicans and Democrats both used to be relatively moderate parties. Other parties couldn't gain traction because the only appealed to a narrow audience while the two major parties constantly battled to win the center.

Now, both Rs and Ds have abandoned the center in favor of their own radicalism. And it's not amusing to the majority of Americans. Nearly half of all registered voters are unaffiliated, and only about half of those in either of the big two are particularly loyal or orthodox about their politics.

So their is a lot of merit to that suggestion that a centrist party would run away with poplar support, if it managed to gain a foothold in the national stage. Yes, there address plenty our challenges to gaining that foothold. But you're objections all boil down to a desperate attempt to deny that reasonable middle roads options are even with considering. Which highlights the only real reason such a third party would struggle: because so many people stupidly assume the third party can win, so they stupidly run away in a panic.

Stupidity begets stupidity.

1280px-Libertarian_porcupine_version_2.svg.png

You have YOUR third party...Communist Party USA.

You are sooooooo '50s.

You are sooooooo '50s.

These alleged anti-gay fake Christians feel no compunctions whatsoever about bearing false witness about other people.

Things are looking good for democrats. Nobody will question the sanity and honesty of these two.... lol

upload_2019-2-7_18-17-41.jpeg

upload_2019-2-7_18-21-31.jpeg

You are sooooooo '50s.

We never cleaned up or campuses of these professors.

Everything you're saying substantiates what the OP is saying. Except you're failing to realize that those things are only true now. The current environment is not the way our politics have traditionally been. The Republicans and Democrats both used to be relatively moderate parties. Other parties couldn't gain traction because the only appealed to a narrow audience while the two major parties constantly battled to win the center.

Now, both Rs and Ds have abandoned the center in favor of their own radicalism. And it's not amusing to the majority of Americans. Nearly half of all registered voters are unaffiliated, and only about half of those in either of the big two are particularly loyal or orthodox about their politics.

So their is a lot of merit to that suggestion that a centrist party would run away with poplar support, if it managed to gain a foothold in the national stage. Yes, there address plenty our challenges to gaining that foothold. But you're objections all boil down to a desperate attempt to deny that reasonable middle roads options are even with considering. Which highlights the only real reason such a third party would struggle: because so many people stupidly assume the third party can win, so they stupidly run away in a panic.

You seem to be saying radicalism in the two parties is not what most voters want. It is being forced on them. I disagree. The radicalism in the parties exist because when campaigns present it to voters, voters like it. Bernie Sanders proposed free college education. Donald Trump proposed a border wall. Both were pretty damn radical. What do you think would have happened if Sander's free college education proposal was a tremendous hit with voters and Donald Trump's wall fell flat with voters. We might be discussing free colleges instead of building a border wall. It's not candidates that determine the issues. It's the voters. Candidates will support just about anything if they think it will win the election.

You seem to be saying radicalism in the two parties is not what most voters want.

Gee, nothing gets by you, Colombo!

I disagree.

And I don't give a fuck. You have no facts to support your bullshit. You are only fueled by your own personal preference for the radicalism, and a deathly fear that it won't be viable if the two party false dilemma were to be shattered.

7044FD44-7050-4931-9944-F5E2F10F6A6E.jpeg

You can't wait for the day?

Soo...you were a 17 year old Mormon virgin....yup...now everything makes sense...

The plan of the dems to use demographic shift to turn the US into a third world defacto one party state, shit hole is coming along nicely.

Any new parties will be just as irrelevant as the republicans once that occurs.

You seem to be saying radicalism in the two parties is not what most voters want. It is being forced on them. I disagree. The radicalism in the parties exist because when campaigns present it to voters, voters like it. Bernie Sanders proposed free college education. Donald Trump proposed a border wall. Both were pretty damn radical. What do you think would have happened if Sander's free college education proposal was a tremendous hit with voters and Donald Trump's wall fell flat with voters. We might be discussing free colleges instead of building a border wall. It's not candidates that determine the issues. It's the voters. Candidates will support just about anything if they think it will win the election.
That's why I always say we get the politicians we deserve.

Our elected officials do exactly what the people demand of them.

We demand they spend more than we are willing to pay for. "Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it!"

Forum List

Back