🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I find it very disturbing

That's very dramatic sounding, but gay marriage doesn't rise to the same level as racial discrimination. Gay marriage is not a fundamental human rights issue, it's just a matter of style and fashion.
The right to civilly marry is "just a matter of style and fashion"? Seriously?

Pretending that gay marriage compares with the basic human rights that black people have been historically denied, trivializes their struggle.
That's what many black civil rights supporters said about the women's rights struggle. SSDD
And? Feel free to use that history to make a point.
And...my point was made...those who "struggle" don't like to think that some other group might in some way have "struggled" just as much as they did. If you'd been around during the Womens Movement in the late 70s, you'd have heard much of the same rhetoric about how "offensive" it is to compare the Noble Civil Rights movement to the Silly and Frivolous Women's Movement. SSDD.

The women's movement bares no comparisons with the struggles endured by black people in this country. Again, trivializing the experience of black people and other ethnic minorities.

Well HOORAY! Quite a victory for fundamental human rights, another special interest group served. Aren't we something special and wonderful, gay people can get married while the poor, indigent, and various ethnic groups, can all just go fuck themselves. The destruction of the middle class, the dismantling of the Forth Amendment, these issue hardly matter in comparison. What a great country we are, we can always congratulate ourselves with progress on pop culture, boutique issues ....just so long as we don't try to change anything that really matters.

So now that your argument has been rendered ludicrous, you're going for the "end of the world" scenario.

Please, by all means, continue with the ridiculousness.
End of the world? I have no idea what you're talking about, perhaps you could be more explicit.

Ah, only YOU get to engage in hyperbole. You started ranting about the "destruction of the middle class", etc...because marriage is a fundamental right?
Now your just lying. Why do you need to conflate? Can't you present an honest argument based on it's own merits?

The "arguments" have been presented. Marriage has been declared a fundamental right (Loving v VA, Zablocki v WI and Turner v Safley). In order to deny that fundamental right, you must be able to demonstrate a societal harm in allowing it. Go!!
The Supreme Court declared the Second Amendment inviolable too. Is that cool with you?

That the threads that get the most posts are the ones on gays. I guess that issue divides the US like no other issue. There are very strong feelings on both sides, and both sides sometimes make good arguments.

The only way to resolve it is to let the people speak by voting. We need either a national referendum on gay marriage or a constitutional amendment on it. Let the people decide and lets all live by that decision.
Every time the people vote, they vote that queers shouldn't have special rights.

So naturally the well funded homo lobby (those one percenters they claim to despise) plants activist judges, who circumvent the will of the people.

Pretending that gay marriage compares with the basic human rights that black people have been historically denied, trivializes their struggle.
That's what many black civil rights supporters said about the women's rights struggle. SSDD
And...my point was made...those who "struggle" don't like to think that some other group might in some way have "struggled" just as much as they did. If you'd been around during the Womens Movement in the late 70s, you'd have heard much of the same rhetoric about how "offensive" it is to compare the Noble Civil Rights movement to the Silly and Frivolous Women's Movement. SSDD.

The women's movement bares no comparisons with the struggles endured by black people in this country. Again, trivializing the experience of black people and other ethnic minorities.
That's not true, but meh, I'm used to people not having any knowledge about the history they misrepresent. Our schools stopped teaching it when the progressives took over.

No movement or struggle is exactly like any other. Discrimination is still discrimination and bigots are still bigots.

No movement or struggle is exactly like any other. Discrimination is still discrimination and bigots are still bigots.
I see, so every issue rises to the same level of importance, is that right? Particularly where human rights issues are concerned, correct? Then why so much focus on this issue and virtually none on basic human rights for all kinds of other people. Seems to me that people's opinions and behavior tend to reflect their own personal interests, rather than any commitment to basic principles of human rights.

I see, so every issue rises to the same level of importance, is that right? Particularly where human rights issues are concerned, correct? Then why so much focus on this issue and virtually none on basic human rights for all kinds of other people. Seems to me that people's opinions and behavior tend to reflect their own personal interests, rather than any commitment to basic principles of human rights.

If you see something you don't like, make it an issue. That's what activism is. This issue is the focus of discussion because there are pending rulings.

If you see something you don't like, make it an issue. That's what activism is. This issue is the focus of discussion because there are pending rulings.
Again, I guess it's just a matter of the perception of scale and proportion. I'm talking about the national discussion, discussions on this forum don't count for much. It's not as though this forum is anything like a representative cross section of America.

See? There it is again. :rofl: SSDD

Exactly. Which is why when describing why discrimination against gays was unconstitutional in Romer v. Evans and Windsor v. the US.....the USSC cited 4 separate race based discrimination cases.

Discrimination is discrimination.

Can you be more specific? What human rights are you referring to?

Again, I guess it's just a matter of the perception of scale and proportion. I'm talking about the national discussion, discussions on this forum don't count for much. It's not as though this forum is anything like a representative cross section of America.

Nope. The average American knows as little as they care about most of these issues. This board tends to lean toward the informed and the interested.

No doubt you've put considerable time and effort into researching the historic problem of women being lynched, driven from their farms and communities, and being made scapegoats for all this county's problems. When will we deal with these historic injustices so the healing can begin?

So now that your argument has been rendered ludicrous, you're going for the "end of the world" scenario.

Please, by all means, continue with the ridiculousness.
End of the world? I have no idea what you're talking about, perhaps you could be more explicit.

Ah, only YOU get to engage in hyperbole. You started ranting about the "destruction of the middle class", etc...because marriage is a fundamental right?
Now your just lying. Why do you need to conflate? Can't you present an honest argument based on it's own merits?

The "arguments" have been presented. Marriage has been declared a fundamental right (Loving v VA, Zablocki v WI and Turner v Safley). In order to deny that fundamental right, you must be able to demonstrate a societal harm in allowing it. Go!!
The Supreme Court declared the Second Amendment inviolable too. Is that cool with you?
It is with me. :clap:

Exactly. Which is why when describing why discrimination against gays was unconstitutional in Romer v. Evans and Windsor v. the US.....the USSC cited 4 separate race based discrimination cases.

Discrimination is discrimination.
I certainly wouldn't argue the legality, just the relative importance.

It is with me. :clap:
There's one. Any other takers?

No doubt you've put considerable time and effort into researching the historic problem of women being lynched, driven from their farms and communities, and being made scapegoats for all this county's problems. When will we deal with these historic injustices so the healing can begin?
Look....there it is again! Civil Rights is all about how much people suffered......apparently the more you suffer, the more civil rights you have....er...."earned".

Can you be more specific? What human rights are you referring to?
How about we start with basic economic justice. Or do you like the fact that 95% of the wealth created in the past decade has gone to 1% of the population?

Look....there it is again! Civil Rights is all about how much people suffered......apparently the more you suffer, the more civil rights you have....er...."earned".
Then stop the rhetorical piggyback ride.

Forum List

Back