“I hate that thug music.”

“I hate that thug music.”

Those were the last words Rhonda Rouer heard her fiance, Michael David Dunn, say before he fired 10 shots at a car containing four black teenagers at a Southside Gate gas station. One of those teenagers, 17-year-old Jordan Davis, was killed.

On Saturday afternoon Rouer, crying and shaking uncontrollably, was compelled to testify against the man she intends to marry and told jurors what happened before and after Davis was killed on Black Friday in November 2012.

Her anguish appeared to unsettle the courtroom. Dunn, 47, and his family sitting in the front row fought back tears, and members of the Davis family looked at the ground as she hyperventilated and tried to keep her hands from shaking. Acting Circuit Judge Russell Healey took the unusual step of bringing Rouer into court before the jury was in the room in an effort to calm her down before she was called to the stand.

When she finished testifying, Rouer whispered, “I’m so sorry” as she got off the stand. It was unclear if she was speaking to a bailiff, Dunn, the Davis family or someone else.

The public should refrain from passing judgment on criminal cases in the news until the case has been adjudicated.

We don't get all or the most pertinent evidence and testimony like the jurors do.

So, that being said...

I think Dunn is done for.

I have a bad feeling he is gonna get off easily.

Nope. No way.

I have a bad feeling he is gonna get off easily.

What'd I tell ya?

Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial
By Greg Botelho and Sunny Hostin, CNN
updated 10:47 PM EST, Sat February 15, 2014

[...]

Even without a final decision on the murder count -- and pending defense appeals -- the 47-year-old Dunn is looking at a lengthy prison term.

Prosecutor Erin Wolfson explained Saturday night that each attempted second-degree murder conviction carries a minimum sentence of at least 20 years. There's also a 15-year sentence possible on the conviction for shooting in the teenager's vehicle.

"You are looking at basically at life in prison," Strolla said, even as he vowed to challenge the convictions. "At 47 years old, that's a life sentence regardless of count one."

The decision to convict on these counts, and not on murder, didn't come easily for a jury that had deliberated for about 30 hours since getting the case late Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/15/justice/florida-loud-music-trial/

Last edited:
The jury asked the judge three questions, then went back to their cubbyhole. What's to ask?? He murdered someone over music. There was no weapon found from the victim.
Something stinks.

Florida jury in loud-music trial has questions for judge - CNN.com

The questions and answers:
-- "Is the defense of self-defense separate for each person in each count?" Judge: "Yes."
-- "Are we determining if deadly force is justified against each person in each count?" Judge: "Yes."
-- "Or, if we determine deadly force is justified against one person, is it justified against the others?" Judge: "No. Self-defense and justifiable use of deadly force applies separately to each count."
With that, he sent them back to the jury room for further deliberations.

-- "Is the defense of self-defense separate for each person in each count?" Judge: "Yes."
-- "Are we determining if deadly force is justified against each person in each count?" Judge: "Yes."
-- "Or, if we determine deadly force is justified against one person, is it justified against the others?" Judge: "No. Self-defense and justifiable use of deadly force applies separately to each count."
It seems to me that if he felt threatened by one of them (with the shotgun), he would feel threatened by ALL of them, since they were all in the same car. I mean, if one of them showed me a shotgun, I would have to assume the others were armed as well.

Based on those questions and answers, at least some of the charges will result in a guilty verdict.

No weapon was found, though.
True, but they left the scene and then came back. That sounds like they went somewhere and stashed it. Sounds like maybe the jury is convinced there WAS one. Also, the cops were negligent if they waited 4 days to even look for it.

True, but they left the scene and then came back. That sounds like they went somewhere and stashed it. Sounds like maybe the jury is convinced there WAS one. Also, the cops were negligent if they waited 4 days to even look for it.

They left the scene because he was shooting at them. The shooter had to be found and arrested before he could tell them there was a gun.

There was no gun. He 'felt threatened' because they were loud, raucous black teenagers. In Florida now, people think they have a license to kill black teenagers. Probably across the US too. If I had a black teenager in America at this time, I'd keep him/her as close to me as possible. Leave the country if I could. Nowadays, it is like they are all wearing a target.

Based on those questions and answers, at least some of the charges will result in a guilty verdict.

I agree. That sounds like the jury may feel it was self defense to shoot one or more of the occupants of the vehicle, but not the other(s).

I think the judge was wrong to tell them deadly force is justified against one but not the others. They were acting as one. How is Dunn supposed to know which ones were a threat and which ones were not? Sounds like the judge wants him found guilty of something. More grounds for an appeal.

They left the scene because he was shooting at them. The shooter had to be found and arrested before he could tell them there was a gun.
Why did they go back?

There was no gun. He 'felt threatened' because they were loud, raucous black teenagers. In Florida now, people think they have a license to kill black teenagers. Probably across the US too. If I had a black teenager in America at this time, I'd keep him/her as close to me as possible. Leave the country if I could. Nowadays, it is like they are all wearing a target.
You don't know there was no gun, you just want to see him dangle.

I think the judge was wrong to tell them deadly force is justified against one but not the others. They were acting as one. How is Dunn supposed to know which ones were a threat and which ones were not? Sounds like the judge wants him found guilty of something. More grounds for an appeal.

You are reading quite a bit into that. If the law says that self-defense must be applied separately to each count, isn't it the judge's responsibility to tell that to the jurors?

*I don't know what the relevant law(s) are, I'm just making the point that I don't see anything in the judge's answers to indicate any kind of bias.

Really?

I've got to tell you, none of my friends or relatives in Florida have mentioned this. Black teen or otherwise, not one has mentioned a suddenly prevalent belief that people have a license to kill black teens.

I hope this hyperbole was intentional and not a serious indication of your views.

First, he shouldn't have started a confrontation with them; he should have just got in his car and left.
Second, if he felt threatened, he should have just gotten in his car and driven away. If they followed him and really were a threat, he should have called the police.

Killing people because they look at you scary or yell at you is absurd. It is cretinous. Only a complete ass would do such a thing.

You don't know there was no gun, you just want to see him dangle.

Prosecution proved beyond 'reasonable doubt' that a gun was not there in the car, sparky.

Forum List

Back