I have a baby bird alone and weak in front of my door

Bugs are a good thing, I think. Thats what its mother would feed it. And keep it calm. Upset birds tend to keel over dead from their heart beating them to death. Shock, in other words.
Meanwhile..water is a good idea, just not too much. Find some bugs. Pretend you are a bird. :)

Feeding Behavior
Forages only while flying. Flight is rapid and often very high; bird scoops insects out of the air with its wide bill. May forage singly or in small flocks.

Feed it bugs if it will eat them. No grain, no bread, no dog food. Pick up some little crickets at a pet store if you can. It's either a youngster who went down and couldn't get back to its nest, or it ran into a window or something and is injured. I think if it was injured, it would have died already..so chances are it's just a baby who went down and can't fly well enough to go back up.

This sounds weird but have you tried tossing it into the air???? It might be too weak now, but sometimes those young ones go down and just don't know how to get back into the air.

Black Swift

You have to be careful with that, as some bugs can be toxic. I say canned, soft dog food, the ground-up kind.

The one thing I hope

That this story has a happy ending

That's all folks! :)

Best thing is to find someone that will take it in and is experienced in this type of thing. Vets can lead you, Dalia, or connect you with people who raise baby birds. Someone there locally can do it, I bet.

Feeding Behavior
Forages only while flying. Flight is rapid and often very high; bird scoops insects out of the air with its wide bill. May forage singly or in small flocks.

Feed it bugs if it will eat them. No grain, no bread, no dog food. Pick up some little crickets at a pet store if you can. It's either a youngster who went down and couldn't get back to its nest, or it ran into a window or something and is injured. I think if it was injured, it would have died already..so chances are it's just a baby who went down and can't fly well enough to go back up.

This sounds weird but have you tried tossing it into the air???? It might be too weak now, but sometimes those young ones go down and just don't know how to get back into the air.

Black Swift

You have to be careful with that, as some bugs can be toxic. I say canned, soft dog food, the ground-up kind.

Swifts grow rapidly on a diet of insects brought to the nest by the parents in food balls. At first the brood will share each meal, but by the time they are two weeks old they can handle a full delivery by themselves.

A bird that has left its nest too early may not be able to remain airborne, and crash lands. Birds like these will have no chance of survival in the wild, but they can be reared with some difficulty to give them a second chance. If possible, this should be left to experts.

Chicks hatch with reasonable fat reserves, and at any stage of development can survive long periods between feeds. During periods of bad weather, the adults sometimes move a long distance to find better conditions to feed themselves to survive. The young can reduce their metabolic rate, and by becoming semi-torpid can survive for several days by using up their fat reserves, which can halve their weight. Periods of food shortage slow down the development of the chicks, and can delay fledging by two weeks.

Read more at Swift Breeding and Nesting Habits - The RSPB

Feeding Behavior

Black Swift
From the picture she posted it looks very young. At least it has feathers. I did a google search on her image and it said it was a European starling, but I trust the people who actually know these things.

Bugs are a good thing, I think. Thats what its mother would feed it. And keep it calm. Upset birds tend to keel over dead from their heart beating them to death. Shock, in other words.
Meanwhile..water is a good idea, just not too much. Find some bugs. Pretend you are a bird. :)

Water from moist food is probably best. Some try forcing water with an eye dropper. Most advise against that and say you can actually drown the bird that way. Very delicate creatures, especially the young.

Feeding Behavior

Black Swift
From the picture she posted it looks very young. At least it has feathers. I did a google search on her image and it said it was a European starling, but I trust the people who actually know these things.
wtheck I didn't see the pic..I need to look

Oh yeah, that's a baby.

There is more danger from over feeding than underfeeding, I think. Dog food might be fine but there's a lot of grain in dog food, and that might not be good for a swift. I think meal worms soaked in water would work.

Feeding Behavior

Black Swift
Here's the picture she posted. It's on page 6
100_0655-jpg.200765

Feeding Behavior

Black Swift
Here's the picture she posted. It's on page 6
100_0655-jpg.200765
awwwwwww

Hello everyone, Fanny is save now:) I did take her to a point relay with .Veterinary
This morning I left at 10.00 I had not slept much I spent the night next to the bird and this morning I was exhausted so I had the help of my neighbor Aline who drove me and I was able to take care of Fanny.:)It is the association of the protection of wild animals that must come to pick up the bird so I phoned the same gentleman to tell him that Fanny is there and to go recover it and moreover I want a follow up photos of the bird and I will continue to contact him to have news from her.
I miss her a lot but she will be able to fly again :)
I thank you all again you helped me to achieve from the impossible.:)

Hello everyone, Fanny is save now:) I did take her to a point relay with .Veterinary
This morning I left at 10.00 I had not slept much I spent the night next to the bird and this morning I was exhausted so I had the help of my neighbor Aline who drove me and I was able to take care of Fanny.:)It is the association of the protection of wild animals that must come to pick up the bird so I phoned the same gentleman to tell him that Fanny is there and to go recover it and moreover I want a follow up photos of the bird and I will continue to contact him to have news from her.
I miss her a lot but she will be able to fly again :)
I thank you all again you helped me to achieve from the impossible.:)

That was a fine, compassionate thing you did. :2up:

Forum List

Back