I have been Called to the Principal's Office

Annie, read what Samson is writing, instead of positing your pre-existing concepts of what you think teaching should be onto him.

Hey JakeS, how about reading the whole thread, instead of siding with someone you assume is disagreeing with me. Samson and I have way more in common, despite my aggression, than he and you. He definitely wants both teachers and kids held accountable.

As a result of the meeting (see p 7):

All teachers have complied, with exceptions
1. History
2. Geometry (but they're available Tuesday)

I'll set up a meeting with the History Teacher on Monday. He's already sent me a whinet note about the number of students he has, number of classes, coaching two sports after school, teaching and grading a "Unit"....yada, yada, yada.....Bullsihit!

1. History

I'll set up a meeting with the History Teacher on Monday. He's already sent me a whinet note about the number of students he has, number of classes, coaching two sports after school, teaching and grading a "Unit"....yada, yada, yada.....Bullsihit!

Maybe he should cut back on the extracurricular sports if it's interfering with his schoolwork. Isn't that what we tell our kids?

Good, Cecilie. That is right. Students have to prioritize, and teachers should set the example.

1. History

Maybe he should cut back on the extracurricular sports if it's interfering with his schoolwork. Isn't that what we tell our kids?

Well, I'm sure there's a stipend involved with coaching.......cutting back on that would also decrease his income.

1. History

Well, I'm sure there's a stipend involved with coaching.......cutting back on that would also decrease his income.

So? That's not an excuse for being unable to do his primary job properly. If your kid had a part-time job in order to pay for his car insurance or whatever, and it was affecting his grades, would you let the "I need the money" argument stop you from saying that schoolwork comes first?

Last edited:
If I don't go through my kids' backpack every day I miss all sorts of things...and their homework is sent home. But I walk into their classroom at least once a week, ostensibly to give Wallybaba his eyeglasses or pay for lunches or something. But that contact is never amiss, I'm able to sort of keep on top of what is going on.

I love it that my kids are in a charter school. This year the focus is on the watershed! How cool is that! The whole school is going to go canoeing at some point....
Tell them to be careful. Since there is no longer PE, they probably can't swim or perform CPR.

Are you satisfied with the material?

Well, not really, but that's an entirely seperate issue: Quantitative evaluation is, or at least is supposed to be, fairly simple: One graded paper per week per class.

But is the graded paper relative to the curriculum, student level, etc., etc.....I'm not going to go there. You begin questioning WTF paper A has to do with lesson B and test C and you'll just get tied up in never ending debate. Besides, this is part of the student's education, to ask and answer these questions.

So? That's not an excuse for being unable to do his primary job properly. If your kid had a part-time job in order to pay for his car insurance or whatever, and it was affecting his grades, would you let the "I need the money" argument stop you from saying that schoolwork comes first?

I didn't say I thought coaching was a good excuse to not do the primary job.

Well at least you got something back. Do you think they will keep it up or forget?

Well at least you got something back. Do you think they will keep it up or forget?

I'm not going to keep this business up forever.

Next Friday I either get what I want, or call the District Superintendent to have a quick, but informal chat to see if I really need to proceed with the complaint form, etc., etc., cumulating with a meeting with the School Board.

Next Friday I either get what I want, or call the District Superintendent to have a quick, but informal chat to see if I really need to proceed with the complaint form, etc., etc., cumulating with a meeting with the School Board.

Play with a business card from a lawyer while your in the meeting. Admistrators are very careful to avoid legal entanglements.

Play with a business card from a lawyer while your in the meeting. Admistrators are very careful to avoid legal entanglements.

laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif

Samson, quick question, how much time do you spend volunteering at your child's school?

Samson, quick question, how much time do you spend volunteering at your child's school?

This Saturday I volunteered 3 hours during a relay race, but generally I leave the volunteering to soccer moms who have more spare time between bon-bon eating and soap operas.

laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif

He's not kidding.

I actually have arrived in school district offices with lists of questions that I'd printed out with letter-head from, "Samson, Samson, and Peabody; Legal Consultants."

I explained to the curious administrator that they were relatives that were giving me advice, but had not been retained as counsel. I continued the "Deposition" referring to the list of questions my "advisors" had given me. Soon the interview ended, the district deciding it would be better to consult with their own lawyer before answering any more questions.

This Saturday I volunteered 3 hours during a relay race, but generally I leave the volunteering to soccer moms who have more spare time between bon-bon eating and soap operas.

That is about what I figured. In my experience the parents who complain the loudest are the least likely to be anywhere around to help. Just the way it goes I suppose.

Forum List

Back