I have been Called to the Principal's Office

You know what I find odd? I never see kids with books in backpacks. Never see homework. Always empty packs full of toys, snacks and notices for parents. I drive for 4 charter schools, and with the rarest exception, children have no homework. When I was their age, I was constantly lugging 3-4 books home to study. I had backpacks wear out from carrying heavy loads. Now the heaviest thing the kids seem to carry is their PSP and CD case.

I'm at a loss.
Most schools give kids a cd that contains the textbook...or a book to leave at home and a class room book to use at school. This is because schools have done away with lockers and carrying around 5 - 8 heavy books is unfeasible.

When did you go to school, in the stone age? :lol:
Well, I did ride the yellow woolly mammoth to the school cave...

You know what I find odd? I never see kids with books in backpacks. Never see homework. Always empty packs full of toys, snacks and notices for parents. I drive for 4 charter schools, and with the rarest exception, children have no homework. When I was their age, I was constantly lugging 3-4 books home to study. I had backpacks wear out from carrying heavy loads. Now the heaviest thing the kids seem to carry is their PSP and CD case.

I'm at a loss.
Most schools give kids a cd that contains the textbook...or a book to leave at home and a class room book to use at school. This is because schools have done away with lockers and carrying around 5 - 8 heavy books is unfeasible.

When did you go to school, in the stone age? :lol:
Well, I did ride the yellow woolly mammoth to the school cave...
Uphill in the snow both ways?

With snow year round, 3 feet deep an hour, barefoot, carrying my little sister on my back and the stone tablets we used for books. They invented papyrus my senior year.

I'm not interested in 30 apocryphal parents with 30 apocryphal requests. .

This was my prepared statement should anyone have brought up the issue: I really couldn't give a shit about a hypothetical 30, 31, 32, or 175 other parents.

Either respond to MY complaint, or don't.

If you don't, then explain to the District Superintendent, and the Board of Education why my expectation is unreasonable.

I have not read through the entire thread and what you ask seems reasonable. but at the same time you come off as a confrontational smart-assed know it all.

Could that be part of the problem?

No, but you could move your incredibly large ass out of the way so us grownups can have a conversation. Oh, my mistake, not your ass, that is just totally you.

I got a call today from what sounds like the Assistant Principal who invited me to come pick up the report, sitting on his desk, tomorrow.

So I'll be able to post the response to my complaint.

Should be very interesting...

My guess is one giant cover their collective asses report, sprinkled generously with excuses.

I also offered to attend class with my boys if they didn't start to bring home homework. I told them I was perfectly willing to quit my job and go on welfare so I could attend class with them, to make sure I was available to "help" them remember to bring home homework, and so I always knew what they were doing in their classes, since they weren't inclined to tell me.

They believed me. I wasn't that attached to my job at the time.

Yeah, um, I'm not gonna quit my job to go hold my 16 yo's hand.:eusa_hand:

what's your job?

What if there is a week where there are no graded papers?

Then there should be a good reason why, and it takes all of five seconds to scribble a note stating that reason and hand it to Samson Jr. Quite frankly, I would have expected some sort of yearly or semester syllabus - or at least an outline - to have made an appearance at the beginning of the year so that the parents would be expecting the weeks full of lab work.

There were syllabii, and I can check grades thathave been given with those that have returned home. Generally, Samson Jr. has been reliable.

At any rate, each week I give my phone number and urge anyone who's interested in explaining their situation, e.g., "I Gave Jr. this paper, this week a chance to voice their POV: None has.

Why?

Because they haven't given him anything, and the only excuses they have is they simply cannot put it together.

so what happens when a graded paper goes home?

What if there is a week where there are no graded papers?

Then there should be a good reason why, and it takes all of five seconds to scribble a note stating that reason and hand it to Samson Jr. Quite frankly, I would have expected some sort of yearly or semester syllabus - or at least an outline - to have made an appearance at the beginning of the year so that the parents would be expecting the weeks full of lab work.

Why does there have to be a good reason? How often should a child's education be assessed? Should there be a quiz or "paper" every day? If all the time is spent assessing what is learned, when is there time to learn?

And if the parent wants to micromanage their child's education, then maybe they should be putting some onus on the child to communicate with them and let them know what they are doing.

Seems to me like Samson is not actually interested in the grades or the papers, but more in just creating a hassle for everyone.

i agree with this. ^

After reading most of the OP's posts and the meeting Sampson conducted.

Sampson started making demands first week of class.

Wonder how he/she would react if someone went to his/her job and acted the same way.....

This was my prepared statement should anyone have brought up the issue: I really couldn't give a shit about a hypothetical 30, 31, 32, or 175 other parents.

Either respond to MY complaint, or don't.

If you don't, then explain to the District Superintendent, and the Board of Education why my expectation is unreasonable.

I have not read through the entire thread and what you ask seems reasonable. but at the same time you come off as a confrontational smart-assed know it all.

Could that be part of the problem?

No, but you could move your incredibly large ass out of the way so us grownups can have a conversation. Oh, my mistake, not your ass, that is just totally you.

very mature of you....

Why does there have to be a good reason? How often should a child's education be assessed? Should there be a quiz or "paper" every day? If all the time is spent assessing what is learned, when is there time to learn?

And if the parent wants to micromanage their child's education, then maybe they should be putting some onus on the child to communicate with them and let them know what they are doing.

Seems to me like Samson is not actually interested in the grades or the papers, but more in just creating a hassle for everyone.

i agree with this. ^

Wonder how he/she would react if someone went to his/her job and acted the same way.....

It's called passive-aggression. Sampsons' posts are textbook p-a

i agree with this. ^

I would have created an instrument or instruments that would measure learning on a weekly basis.

It's not rocket science.

There were syllabii, and I can check grades thathave been given with those that have returned home. Generally, Samson Jr. has been reliable.

At any rate, each week I give my phone number and urge anyone who's interested in explaining their situation, e.g., "I Gave Jr. this paper, this week a chance to voice their POV: None has.

Why?

Because they haven't given him anything, and the only excuses they have is they simply cannot put it together.

so what happens when a graded paper goes home?

Several things:
1. The student is given the opportunity to discuss their progress
2. The parents can reward progress or remediate the situation
3. The teacher demonstrates they have evaluated learning
4. The school communicates with parents

I probably could think of a couple of other things, but none are negative.

Again, not rocket science.

Yank then out of public school and enroll them in a private school.

Start asking the principal for the papers see how that goes over.

Yeah, he'll probably ask me to go through him, but that was the plan all along if the teachers proved uncooperative.

I'm not spending money on private school.

It's better to suck the publics' teats, right?

Forum List

Back