I have been Called to the Principal's Office

Yank then out of public school and enroll them in a private school.

Start asking the principal for the papers see how that goes over.

Yeah, he'll probably ask me to go through him, but that was the plan all along if the teachers proved uncooperative.

I'm not spending money on private school.

It's better to suck the publics' teats, right?

I'm guessing you don't own property.

Once you graduate from whatever sad little course of study you may be engaged, you might, although frankly, its doubtful, be able to buy property, or become employed.

If this unlikely event occurs, you will pay state and/or local taxes. These funds are used primarily to support the local public schools (very little comes from the feds). You will pay these taxes even if your children go to private schools; indeed, you will pay them even if you have no children.

So, perhaps even you can figure out that it's a little economically stupid to choose not to make public schools better as the first recourse.

Now, as much as I appreciate your need to be spoon-fed at every intellectual turn, I'm afraid I have no additional motive to continue this, or any other conversation, with your moronic ass.

Last edited:
Yeah, Samson. Where the hell do you get off even expecting that poor, underpaid, downtrodden teacher to show up to school at all? You and your kid ought to handle this whole education thing yourselves without expecting any input from those poor teachers, y'damned slavedriver.

Can I keep the district's school tax if I "handle this whole education thing" myself?

That's what the unions fear most.

Just sayin'.

No one is worrying about Sampson spending his own money on his childs' education. It will never happen. It costs money and it doesn't annoy anyone, so the passive-aggressive has no interest in it

troll-web.jpg

It cracks me up that a tenth grader would have to get his parent to sign that said parent looked at the kid's assignment.

I can see this in elementary school, but high school?

Sometimes it is best to let your children *ahem* grow up and take responsibility for their own actions.

That's a concept helicopter parents can't understand.

No wonder children grow up to be irresponsibility. Growing up, their parents teach them that it's always someone else's fault

"My Precious Darling would never do that!"

However, I don't see why an English teacher, at any level, couldn't take 30 minutes out of the entire fucking week to give a goddamn vocabulary quiz, and every third week give a vocabulary test, comprised of the two previous quizzes.

Were you still learning vocab in HS?

Here's a word for ya: REMEDIAL

Really?

Have you seen the SAT test?

The SAT Reasoning Test is a long examination (three hours and forty-five minutes) and has three main divisions:

Math,
Reading and
Writing.
There are 10 sections in all - three for each division, and one 'equating' section. The equating section is used to assess questions for use in future tests. (It can be in any of the three areas and does not count toward the score).

Apart from a short essay and ten out of the 54 math questions, the questions are all five-answer multiple-choice. Each of the divisions has a maximum score of 800, giving a maximum overall score of 2400

Example:

7. inchoate

a) loose

b) implicit

c) chaotic

d) incomplete

e) beginner

Umm, the SAT does not measure scholastic achievement. Even the people who make the SAT admit it doesn't measure scholastic achievement

It measures how well someone will do in the first year of college

I'll let you know, this Friday.

Suggestion:

Why don't you take a piece of paper and write on the top of it "Dad, this is what I learned in class this week..."?

You give it to your kid, he brings it to school for the teacher to mimeograph, and then in each class, he needs to write a short (250-500 words) essay as to what he learned in each of his classes that week. The teacher would read it, and sign it if the child is correct in his assessment.

It could be like extra credit!

Not a bad idea. Thanks, this will be "Plan B"

Plan "A" = ask the Nanny State to raise my child for me

Then there should be a good reason why, and it takes all of five seconds to scribble a note stating that reason and hand it to Samson Jr. Quite frankly, I would have expected some sort of yearly or semester syllabus - or at least an outline - to have made an appearance at the beginning of the year so that the parents would be expecting the weeks full of lab work.

Why does there have to be a good reason? How often should a child's education be assessed? Should there be a quiz or "paper" every day? If all the time is spent assessing what is learned, when is there time to learn?

And if the parent wants to micromanage their child's education, then maybe they should be putting some onus on the child to communicate with them and let them know what they are doing.

Seems to me like Samson is not actually interested in the grades or the papers, but more in just creating a hassle for everyone.

i agree with this. ^

After reading most of the OP's posts and the meeting Sampson conducted.

Sampson started making demands first week of class.

Wonder how he/she would react if someone went to his/her job and acted the same way.....

There IS someone at Samson's job who started making demands the first week. That person is called "Boss".

Exactly how far into the school year, in your estimation, should Samson allow these people to get in educating his child before it's okay for him to start wanting to track his progress? Precisely how much time should they get to diddle around before being expected to produce something? Because I'm going to guess that Samson, like most people who aren't government workers, was expected to show progress right from the beginning.

I think there are some really bad teachers out there; yet I know many dedicated, capable, competent educators too.

Well?

In your opinion does a good educator share with the parents of the student his or her progress more, or less often?

You think that with teachers under fire, they'd want.... NO... beg to have the greatest chances of looking good.

The best educators spend ALL their time on the phone with their students parents telling them what brillinat kids they've spawned

Last edited:
Truancy laws and fines for the parents that don't or won't care.

That might work for those that are ditching classes, but what about those that show up, but don't want to learn? It tends to hurt others to a degree, not small.

Hey, that's part of the teacher's job: To make students want to learn.

Yes, it's the Nanny States job to indoctrinate HS student into having a thirst for learning in HS students

Why does there have to be a good reason? How often should a child's education be assessed? Should there be a quiz or "paper" every day? If all the time is spent assessing what is learned, when is there time to learn?

And if the parent wants to micromanage their child's education, then maybe they should be putting some onus on the child to communicate with them and let them know what they are doing.

Seems to me like Samson is not actually interested in the grades or the papers, but more in just creating a hassle for everyone.

i agree with this. ^

Wonder how he/she would react if someone went to his/her job and acted the same way.....

There IS someone at Samson's job who started making demands the first week. That person is called "Boss".

Exactly how far into the school year, in your estimation, should Samson allow these people to get in educating his child before it's okay for him to start wanting to track his progress? Precisely how much time should they get to diddle around before being expected to produce something? Because I'm going to guess that Samson, like most people who aren't government workers, was expected to show progress right from the beginning.

Well, I didn't expect miracles, but for a small local bureaucracy to have required 90 days of proding was well beyond my expectation. This is especially true because: A. I wasn't asking for something that couldn't easily be implemented; B. I wasn't asking for something that had no direct relationship to education.

However, let's say I had waited a month to begin asking for weekly graded papers....It would now be the end of the semester (December) and the administration could (and has) changed all the teachers for next semester, effectively forcing me to restart the process.

As it is, having begun the process in August, even if the teachers respond this semester, there are very few weeks remaining.

Hopefully, the admin has learned their lesson, and it won't be necessary to go through this again; however, if we do need to restart the process, I predict there will be more, and higher quality barriers erected to prevent it from being implemented before the end of the school year.

Situation Update:

On Friday, October 8th, Six (6) weeks after my original request to see one graded paper/week/class, I received graded papers from every teacher.

I thanked them and looked forward to this week's issue.

It isn't easy to get what you want from schools, but it is possible if you know how to play the their game: DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.

What did you learn from the papers?

Does it matter?

I don't think that was the point

Yeah, he'll probably ask me to go through him, but that was the plan all along if the teachers proved uncooperative.

I'm not spending money on private school.

Once you graduate from whatever sad little course of study you may be engaged, you might, although frankly, its doubtful, be able to buy property, or become employed.

If this unlikely event occurs, you will pay state and/or local taxes. These funds are used primarily to support the local public schools (very little comes from the feds). You will pay these taxes even if your children go to private schools; indeed, you will pay them even if you have no children.

So, perhaps even you can figure out that it's a little economically stupid to choose not to make public schools better as the first recourse.

Now, as much as I appreciate your need to be spoon-fed at every intellectual turn, I'm afraid I have no additional motive to continue this, or any other conversation, with your moronic ass.

If wingnuts didnt lie, they'd have nothing to say

Samson can't defend his culture of dependency, so he makes up stuff about what I own:cuckoo:

Wingnut thinks it's "economically stupid" to have his child taught by competent teachers.

Your concern for your childs education is underwhelming, in spite of the enourmous investment of time (3 hours) you have made,:lol:

If wingnuts didnt lie, they'd have nothing to say

Samson can't defend his culture of dependency, so he makes up stuff about what I own:cuckoo:

Wingnut thinks it's "economically stupid" to have his child taught by competent teachers.

Your concern for your childs education is underwhelming, in spite of the enourmous investment of time (3 hours) you have made,:lol:
Don't kid yourself...he's spent more time whining about it on this messageboard.

i agree with this. ^

Parents can and SHOULD start those things at the start of the school year, but that not the only things samson is doing.

samson is also demand weekly graded reports. Parents have no right to demand that.

And samson hasn't been asked to show progress right from the beginning. samson hasn't been asked to do anything wrt his child.

i agree with this. ^

Parents can and SHOULD start those things at the start of the school year, but that not the only things samson is doing.

samson is also demand weekly graded reports. Parents have no right to demand that.

And samson hasn't been asked to show progress right from the beginning. samson hasn't been asked to do anything wrt his child.

Speaking as someone who actually sits on a school board and helps set such policies for an actual school I can tell you that you are wrong. Samson , or ANY parent has EVERY right to know how their child is doing in school. And frankly if the teachers at his child's school aren't grading papers on a weekly basis then how do THEY know how each child is doing, and if they don't know how each child is doing, how do they know what to teach?

Now if they ARE grading papers on a weekly basis, what is the problem with sending those graded papers home for Samson to review at the end of each week? Is Samson asking for a detailed written weekly report from each teacher, or a simple synopsis of his child's progress?

I would vote to fire a teacher who wouldn't attempt to comply with a concerned parent's simple request.

i agree with this. ^

No right? You're a moron. Our school system uses an online service where teachers post grades and parents can view it 24/7 to monitor progress. I know my son has a 98 in this class. If I didn't get any kind of feedback from the teacher and found out at the end of the semester that he flunked, I'd be pissed. It would then be too late to address and correct any issues. But you already knew that.

View attachment 12000

View attachment 12001

No right? You're a moron. Our school system uses an online service where teachers post grades and parents can view it 24/7 to monitor progress. I know my son has a 98 in this class. If I didn't get any kind of feedback from the teacher and found out at the end of the semester that he flunked, I'd be pissed. It would then be too late to address and correct any issues. But you already knew that.

Exactly. And I favor a parent/teacher orientation at the beginning of each school term in which the parents will hear from the teachers WHAT their kids will be learning. And another way to verify that is to see those graded papers now and then. How else do we know our kids are being educated and not indoctrinated or just shoehorned through with little or no effort required from them?

Seeing the grades is useful. But I think these days it is important for parents to be even more proactive than that, and my hat is off to Samson who is choosing to actually parent his kids instead of just handing them over to the government to do with whatever it wants.

View attachment 12000

View attachment 12001

Edline?

We use that, most schools in Arkansas do.

View attachment 12000

View attachment 12001

Edline?

We use that, most schools in Arkansas do.

No, Infinite Campus. It also provides PDF's of the student's progress reports, report cards, transcript, attendance and missed reports as well as a link to each teacher's email address.

The only issue is the same as Samson's. Most teachers keep it fairly current and a few don't. You might go a couple of weeks without any update.

Forum List

Back