I have been Called to the Principal's Office

We have the exact same thing: "Infinite Campus."

As i've pointed out, this is not a bad tool to have, but it doesn't replace the actual graded work; E.G. without the pretest, how do you help the kid study for a test? Without the quiz, how can you help the kid where they have weakness?

Frankly, though, I have come to realize that the quizes may be simply a paper numbered 1-10. I've actually seen this graded "+10." What am I to conclude? That the American History Teacher taught the students to number lines 1-10?

So, I'm begining to understand why teachers are reluctant to show papers that are ACTUALLY GRADED: It invites criticism about what they are teaching, or IF they are teaching.

It seems to be the way things are done more and more these days. In our school system, the kids bring home documents at the beginning of the year that explains what will be covered over the year and the teacher's grading policy. There is usually a classroom conduct policy from each teacher. All of this has to be signed by the parent and the student and returned......for a grade......to make sure it is returned. Then the kids keep "notebooks" with all the assignments and those are kept in the class room and periodically checked and graded. Nothing comes home. This all started in junior high. In elementary school, they brought work home. My son is a senior now and has been an A student since kindergarten and in the gifted program. He often comes home and talks about what was discussed in class or what they are learning. Since he has been a good student and displays his knowledge, I have tended to not take the route you have......but I fully understand and support it. I'd prefer to actually see his work periodically.

I don't think you'll have what is often a common problem with kids you've described: The AP/Gifted/College Prep classes become havens for the "good kids," who are protected by their teachers with good grades.

If a teacher is given an AP class, the first thing they'll notice is the absence of serious behaviour problems. In fact, the relative maturity of these students make them a joy to see, much less teach, and even much much less give a grade of "C." Teachers that make sure these students get a "B" or above, will enjoy their company for the entire year. Teachers who give them a "C" risk having their AP classes decimated to the extent they may find themselves teaching REGULAR STUDENTS.:eek:

The coddled AP classes graduate, go to the university, and struggle (and even fail) through their freshman year.

Wingnut sure has a lot of problems understanding why AP students get A's and B's. :cuckoo:

Wingnut thinks it's a racket.

They get the best marks, because they are the best students.

it's shit such as this ^ that has teachers leaving the profession in droves.

Parents have the attitude that they own the teacher instead of understanding that it's not as easy as getting up infront of a class room and talking for 90 minutes.

You will teach to my specifications or you will go to def con one ! Yowza massa....

Try teaching 5 different subjects to 3 differeent levels of students and see how easy it is.

BTW, your child is not the only kid in the school.

Funny thing, in many ways I agree that school districts need to take care not to enter into agreements with one parent that commit to providing IEP type agreements across the board. Samson disagrees with this, he has taught and was also an administrator. The student he is fighting for is on an IEP.

Since you started posting, all I'm seeing is a defense of all that are the mantras of the worst teachers I know. Teaching is hard, but teachers knew that getting in or certainly within 2 months of beginning.

The IEP has nothing to do with my complaint, or the thread. It does not include anything I'm asking for, nor is it the motive for asking that one graded paper/week/class appear in front of me, unless the teacher, or student, or class has been unexpectedly absent.

I agree that school districts need to take care not to enter into agreements with one parent that commit to providing "IEP type agreements" across the board. But "taking care" does not mean ignoring basic teaching methods. I don't think that a school should need to "Enter into an agreement" to teach!

Somehow, I was under the impression that it was understood, explicitely, that the school would teach? Have we entered a point in the declining status of public schools that we need to have some written documentation agreeing to use fundamental teaching methods to educate students?

If the IEP has nothing to do with this, then thanks for letting us know that you're as big a fool as you are an ass. The IEP is exactly where any requests for "individualized" demands, such as yours, should be spelled out.

And I don't know why you're ranting about basic teaching methods. I thought this was about one child, and not about the curriculum and pedagogy.

Well, I didn't expect miracles, but for a small local bureaucracy to have required 90 days of proding was well beyond my expectation. This is especially true because: A. I wasn't asking for something that couldn't easily be implemented; B. I wasn't asking for something that had no direct relationship to education.

However, let's say I had waited a month to begin asking for weekly graded papers....It would now be the end of the semester (December) and the administration could (and has) changed all the teachers for next semester, effectively forcing me to restart the process.

As it is, having begun the process in August, even if the teachers respond this semester, there are very few weeks remaining.

Hopefully, the admin has learned their lesson, and it won't be necessary to go through this again; however, if we do need to restart the process, I predict there will be more, and higher quality barriers erected to prevent it from being implemented before the end of the school year.

my guess is that if you had not acted like an ass from the beginning you would have received your request sooner.

My guess is you haven't dealt much with bureaucracy.
your guess would be wrong

Parents have the attitude that they own the teacher instead of understanding that it's not as easy as getting up infront of a class room and talking for 90 minutes.

You will teach to my specifications or you will go to def con one ! Yowza massa....

Try teaching 5 different subjects to 3 differeent levels of students and see how easy it is.

Funny thing, in many ways I agree that school districts need to take care not to enter into agreements with one parent that commit to providing IEP type agreements across the board. Samson disagrees with this, he has taught and was also an administrator. The student he is fighting for is on an IEP.

Since you started posting, all I'm seeing is a defense of all that are the mantras of the worst teachers I know. Teaching is hard, but teachers knew that getting in or certainly within 2 months of beginning.

The IEP has nothing to do with my complaint, or the thread. It does not include anything I'm asking for, nor is it the motive for asking that one graded paper/week/class appear in front of me, unless the teacher, or student, or class has been unexpectedly absent.

I agree that school districts need to take care not to enter into agreements with one parent that commit to providing "IEP type agreements" across the board. But "taking care" does not mean ignoring basic teaching methods. I don't think that a school should need to "Enter into an agreement" to teach!

Somehow, I was under the impression that it was understood, explicitely, that the school would teach? Have we entered a point in the declining status of public schools that we need to have some written documentation agreeing to use fundamental teaching methods to educate students?

I'm certain they are teaching, but obviously not to your specific demands, and i mean demands.....

in addition the IEP does not give you carte blanche.

Little tard Sampson does not get a free pass nor does big tard Sampson

I don't frankly give a shit if someone sees it as me "purchasing" something or not. We're talking about MY KID. Mine. Not theirs. I have a right to question any fucking thing I want that relates to my kid, and anyone who thinks otherwise for any reason had best be prepared to go to DefCon One fast.

I'm a sped teacher

Try reading:
"The IEP has nothing to do with my complaint, or the thread."

You sure you are not a SpEd STUDENT and not a teacher?:lol:

You seem to be easily confused, even for a n00b. I bet if you spent less time whinging about how difficult life is, and went back to flipping hamburgers at Micky D's, then you'd be a whole lot happier....call up you case worker and bounce the idea off them: I'm sure they'll enthusiastically agree that you were never really qualified to teach.

Try reading:

You seem to be easily confused, even for a n00b. I bet if you spent less time whinging about how difficult life is, and went back to flipping hamburgers at Micky D's, then you'd be a whole lot happier....call up you case worker and bounce the idea off them: I'm sure they'll enthusiastically agree that you were never really qualified to teach.

with two masters degrees I'm certain I have the qualifications.
In addition i could kick your ass

Try reading:

so is squeezberry a teacher? Yes or no in your opinion, Samson? My guess is yes, in a failing district.

To respond to your earlier post to me, you know that our methodologies are different. I will say that your jump at bell ringers at end of class shut me down in how to respond to you. While I would assume the differences are between subjects, I believe you think it's a matter of competency.

You will be glad to know that I'm now just substituting, not teaching. After 11 years teaching in parochial schools, I was rif'd. While your child isn't in private, I'm guessing you are saying alleluia, that other kids won't be stuck with me. Funny thing, I've earned awards and have had 15 kids get into highly selective colleges and thank me personally and in publications.

My classes were taught as units, which you seem to disagree with. My assessments were daily, but included oral responses, but at least 3 out of 5 days included either end of class response or quick quizzes. Problem for you that I discerned, would be that these often were subjective in the students' responses. So there wouldn't be a grade, but would allow me to discuss the next day. In a real sense their responses caused change in my lesson plans in order to meet my objectives.

From what I could tell, you wouldn't have found that acceptable. On the other hand, if I'd have an IEP kid in my class, (and over the years I did have some), I'd have sent home my lecture notes, the question, and their response.

If I'd have the notice from the office of what you wanted, that would have been my response to you and what I'd have provided you with, along with any other written materials your son/daughter had done. I don't agree that you come off as a jerk, but I will agree that you make it very difficult to communicate with, in the sense that you seem to bully.

Try reading:

so is squeezberry a teacher? Yes or no in your opinion, Samson? My guess is yes, in a failing district.

To respond to your earlier post to me, you know that our methodologies are different. I will say that your jump at bell ringers at end of class shut me down in how to respond to you. While I would assume the differences are between subjects, I believe you think it's a matter of competency.

You will be glad to know that I'm now just substituting, not teaching. After 11 years teaching in parochial schools, I was rif'd. While your child isn't in private, I'm guessing you are saying alleluia, that other kids won't be stuck with me. Funny thing, I've earned awards and have had 15 kids get into highly selective colleges and thank me personally and in publications.

My classes were taught as units, which you seem to disagree with. My assessments were daily, but included oral responses, but at least 3 out of 5 days included either end of class response or quick quizzes. Problem for you that I discerned, would be that these often were subjective in the students' responses. So there wouldn't be a grade, but would allow me to discuss the next day. In a real sense their responses caused change in my lesson plans in order to meet my objectives.

From what I could tell, you wouldn't have found that acceptable. On the other hand, if I'd have an IEP kid in my class, (and over the years I did have some), I'd have sent home my lecture notes, the question, and their response.

If I'd have the notice from the office of what you wanted, that would have been my response to you and what I'd have provided you with, along with any other written materials your son/daughter had done. I don't agree that you come off as a jerk, but I will agree that you make it very difficult to communicate with, in the sense that you seem to bully.

There really is no other way to deal with intractable bureaucracy: Remember, I expressed my expectations for a MONTH before the meeting. I imagine that had I politely asked, the time-line would have been drawn even longer. Plus, I would not have gained the rep.

For some odd reason, you keep mentioning the IEP, which has absolutely nothing to do with the complaint? I would make the same complaint, in fact would make the complaint even more emphatically, if the student was my younger son, who may be a Freshman next year at this school. It is my intent not only form a reputation as the most unpleasent parent to deal with, but one with whom teachers probably don't want to fuck around with when I ask for a simple goddamn graded paper to appear each week.

They have a choice: Produce what I want, or have a formal complaint placed into their file.

Pretty simple, regardless of whether or not its called "bullying," which could be the name attached to anyone for whom you must comply.

My guess is you were riff'd to save money. Teaching credentials like the ones you've described are valuable, and a rich society is willing to pay for them. Unhappily, you, and maybe me, and a whole lot of others are going to find themselves more expensive to employ than anyone can afford.

Try reading:

There really is no other way to deal with intractable bureaucracy: Remember, I expressed my expectations for a MONTH before the meeting. I imagine that had I politely asked, the time-line would have been drawn even longer. Plus, I would not have gained the rep.

For some odd reason, you keep mentioning the IEP, which has absolutely nothing to do with the complaint? I would make the same complaint, in fact would make the complaint even more emphatically, if the student was my younger son, who may be a Freshman next year at this school. It is my intent not only form a reputation as the most unpleasent parent to deal with, but one with whom teachers probably don't want to fuck around with when I ask for a simple goddamn graded paper to appear each week.

They have a choice: Produce what I want, or have a formal complaint placed into their file.

Pretty simple, regardless of whether or not its called "bullying," which could be the name attached to anyone for whom you must comply.

My guess is you were riff'd to save money. Teaching credentials like the ones you've described are valuable, and a rich society is willing to pay for them. Unhappily, you, and maybe me, and a whole lot of others are going to find themselves more expensive to employ than anyone can afford.

I would consider it an honor to kick your ass

Sounds like you'd better give the psychiatrist a call to increase your anit-psychotic meds. I'm guessing if you'd increase the dose on your RISPERDAL from 3 mg/d to 4 mg/d you'll feel a little better. Also you seem more than a tad depressed. Try to get a 'script for LEXAPRO.

Otherwise, as I suspect, you can keep drinking yourself into a idiots stupor every evening. Edited for Content. Per Administration.

Sounds like you'd better give the psychiatrist a call to increase your anit-psychotic meds. I'm guessing if you'd increase the dose on your RISPERDAL from 3 mg/d to 4 mg/d you'll feel a little better. Also you seem more than a tad depressed. Try to get a 'script for LEXAPRO.

Otherwise, as I suspect, you can keep drinking yourself into a idiots stupor every evening. In this case, you should also take a handful of sleeping pills, and save yourself and society a lot of time, money, and effort trying to rehabilitate you into a functional adult.

so, you have no intelligent reply.?

figures.....

Otherwise, as I suspect, you can keep drinking yourself into a idiot's stupor every evening. Edited for Content. Per Administration.

figures.....

Have another Vodka shot: It will get better.

No AMBIEN in the house?

You can probably pick some up tonight.

Otherwise, as I suspect, you can keep drinking yourself into a idiots stupor every evening. Edited for Content. Per Administration.

figures.....

What the hell kind of intelligent reply were you expecting from "I would consider it an honor to kick your ass"??

Otherwise, as I suspect, you can keep drinking yourself into a idiot's stupor every evening. Edited for Content. Per Administration.

figures.....

Have another Vodka shot: It will get better.

No AMBIEN in the house?

You can probably pick some up tonight.

Edited-No Family Attacks.

figures.....

What the hell kind of intelligent reply were you expecting from "I would consider it an honor to kick your ass"??

You haven't dealt with many mentally ill drunks, have you.:confused:

Don't try to reason with them, just point them at the door, and keep them walking toward it, and hope they drink themself into oblivion before you have to rinse, wash, repeat.

Just what I was thinking RadiomanATL. Sounds like Samson pegged this loser. Berries isn't even a good troll. No GED, what is a bearly functioning adult like him supposed to do?

Forum List

Back