I have no words for this AZ SC ruling

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Ok, I do have words. And im sure many of you know what they are..

On April 7, the Arizona Supreme Court ruled that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can refuse to report child sex abuse if the abuser confesses to the crime in a confessional setting.

This is one big load of BS. This is nothing more than special rights for the religious. AZ law requires you to report child abuse. Unless you tell a man in a robe in a church. SMH

On April 7, the Arizona Supreme Court ruled that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can refuse to report child sex abuse if the abuser confesses to the crime in a confessional setting.

This is one big load of BS. This is nothing more than special rights for the religious. AZ law requires you to report child abuse. Unless you tell a man in a robe in a church. SMH
For once you have it right.

I think I've pretty much established my utter contempt for the LDS cult.

But there's nothing wrong with this ruling. The Clergy-Penitent privilege is FIRMLY ESTABLISHED black letter law.

Applies to Catholics as well. In all 50 states.

What other crimes can parishioners confess to, but expect protection from accountability for, I wonder?

What other crimes can parishioners confess to, but expect protection from accountability for, I wonder?
Any of them. One can confess to murder..to a Priest..and he cannot be compelled to testify. What is interesting about this is that in the LDS church..all men are priests. Thus, if one confesses to another...the guy cannot be compelled to testify?

Don't know.
But I'd bet they'll be required to report LGBTQ flag burning or using the wrong pronouns immediately to authorities.

Man, the conservative motto of "Do Nuffin" sure has consequences.

...or of having an abortion....

Its a religious exemption from state law. Its bullshit.
It's the law in almost every state, though.

Although it shouldn't be.
I am not so sure. Mind you, my perspective is from an atheist who has little use for men of the cloth... but...

If the purpose of confession is to be able to seek console, can you really do that if you have a suspicion the clergyman is going to run right off and report you to the cops?

Most religions require people to make amends when they confess to a sin. Again, no fan of the Mormons, but I'm sure even they get that right.

So a clergy-penitant privilege is meant to encourage resolving a problem. Just like you should be able to discuss your actions with a lawyer, without him turning you in. It's to encourage free communication.

Forum List

Back