...I just realized Lincoln was the Hitler of the 19th century.

Sherman's army waged "total war" because the Southrens were bushwacking his soldiers. Thus the citizens caught it. As Sherman told Grant, "Tough luck."

I don't think the murder of innocent civilians can be justified, let alone justified by "tough luck."

Sherman's army waged "total war" because the Southrens were bushwacking his soldiers. Thus the citizens caught it. As Sherman told Grant, "Tough luck."

I don't think the murder of innocent civilians can be justified, let alone justified by "tough luck."

You can take it up with Sherman and the southern bushwackers in the next life.

So you can't justify slavery but you can justify murder?

Syrenn, that's a great point. The North waged a limited war through the summer of 1862, hoping to draw the South with its slaves voluntarily back into the Union. McClellan's botched James River offensive and Pope's solid thrashing at 2nd Manassas (2nd Bull Run) made Lincoln understand that he would have to full throttle. He had the horses in numbers and the generals to do it: Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, and many more who would break the back of the South without mercy. Oh, my, did they do just that!

Syrenn, that's a great point. The North waged a limited war through the summer of 1862, hoping to draw the South with its slaves voluntarily back into the Union. McClellan's botched James River offensive and Pope's solid thrashing at 2nd Manassas (2nd Bull Run) made Lincoln understand that he would have to full throttle. He had the horses in numbers and the generals to do it: Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, and many more who would break the back of the South without mercy. Oh, my, did they do just that!

My oh My! :)

Someone who knows that McClellan was a pussy and was scared to death to engage the enemy. A man who knows about a second Manassas! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Yes, Lincoln had it within his power to kick the shit out of the south, he was hesitant to do that. Sherman was not.

Last edited:

war isn't 'murder'. it's other things, but not that.

is there anything you think is worth fighting for?

i don't think anyone says war is pretty... and certainly, one hopes it's rarely necessary, but when you fight, you have to fight to win.

i don't think anyone says war is pretty... and certainly, one hopes it's rarely necessary, but when you fight, you have to fight to win.

So basically anything you do in war is justified because it's war? Personally, I see war in and of itself as mass murder, but there's still a difference between innocent civilians and soldiers.

Yes. I personally feel the colonists were justified in fighting against the British in the Revolutionary War, and I think the Confederacy was justified in fighting against the Union in the Civil War. That doesn't mean I support the Confederacy, however. Slavery, inscription, suspension of habeas corpus, and rampant inflation were some of the horrible things the Confederacy resorted to during the war.

So basically anything you do in war is justified because it's war? Personally, I see war in and of itself as mass murder, but there's still a difference between innocent civilians and soldiers.

Yes. I personally feel the colonists were justified in fighting against the British in the Revolutionary War, and I think the Confederacy was justified in fighting against the Union in the Civil War. That doesn't mean I support the Confederacy, however. Slavery, inscription, suspension of habeas corpus, and rampant inflation were some of the horrible things the Confederacy resorted to during the war.

did you really just say that the south 'resorted to slavery' DURING the civil war?

seriously?

did you really just say that the south 'resorted to slavery' DURING the civil war?

seriously?

I'm sure you got my point from what I said, obviously I'm aware slavery predated the Civil War. Did you want to actually respond to my post?

The Palestinian cowardly criminal "jihadists" use children as shields.

The Israeli army is the shield in front of its children.
No thread would be complete without some goy golem reiterating Zionist propaganda points. :lol:

Kalam, you are wrong before Allah, who despises you and those like you.
You know nothing of me and even less of Him (SWT).

They seek to deceive Allah and those who believe and they deceive only themselves and they perceive not. In their hearts is a disease, so Allah increased their disease, and for them is a painful chastisement because they lie. And when it is said to them, Make not mischief in the land, they say: We are but peacemakers. Now surely they are the mischief-makers, but they perceive not. And when it is said to them, Believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the fools believe? Now surely they are the fools, but they know not. - 2:9-13​

They were morally wrong?

Was Sherman morally right when he marched through the south, ordering his men to commit war crimes that he had previously had men hung for? Moral agents do not commit immoral acts in defense of morality. Perhaps you should check the morality of the people you now claim were the moral ones.

yes. they were morally wrong. there is no justification for owning another person... not ever.

was sherman right?

yes.... and he didn't commit war crimes. I really don't think it appropriate to measure warfare then against warfare now... and even then, I'm not certain that given the same limitations as to firepower, that the same type of warmaking wouldn't be appropriate.

He ordered his men to commit acts that he had hung them for just the year before. As a graduate of West Point he knew about the laws and customs of war, and had probably heard about Peter von Hagenbach, who was convicted of war crimes in 1474. Why are you assuming that war crimes is a modern convention? The Hague Convention was based on treaties and conventions that date back to the 7th century.

I am not holding him to modern standards, i am trying to hold him to his.

You Southern folks really need to get over this Civil War fixation of yours.

You fought, you lost. Move on it's 2010.

Idiot.

'You black people really need to get over this slavery fixtation of yours.'

'You jewish people really need to get over this holocaust fixation of yours.'

'You female people really need to get over this non-voting fixation of yours.'

'You anti-Bush people really need to get over this 'stolen-election' fixation of yours.'

'You fought, you lost. Move on its 2010.'

JBs practiced it.

O RLY?

You've evidence of shit assertion?
How does that excuse our ancestors from doing it, and how does that excuse us from realizing that whites in this country after 1900 had very specific entitlements that peoples of color did not?

Entitlements?
Those of us who came out of lower working white class environments benefited because we were white

O rly? Your 'White Privilege' was being poor and having to work just like the Negroes have the opportunity to do?
, thus our descendants benefited from our advantages

:eusa_eh:

Are you retarded?

Anyone here Irish whose ancestors built the railroads next to the Chinese?

Us who? Am I a white who owned slaves, or am I a black whose family were slaves? Perhaps I am both. Or neither. How would you know?

You forgot an African who's family immigrated to the US and who's ancestors were slave catchers and traders. :lol:

Or those whose ancestors were White abolitionists who helped slaves escape or who came here later.

Jake's just a sad racebaiter who desperately wants anyone to be responsible for a black man's failure except the man himself.

killing unarmed women and children is murder

to do so in times of war under the guise of war is a crime of war

Forum List

Back