I Just Sent a Letter to My Congressman, Eric Cantor. This Syria Thing is Fucked.

WelfareQueen

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2013
Uranus
Why the hell are we going to bomb Syria? Let's review the reasons, shall we.

1. To "Punish" Assad.

WTF? We're going to punish a lot of civilians by blowing them up. That's great logic. Meanwhile, Assad will be doing just fine.

2. We're on a "Humanitarian Mission."

I would think you would not usually help people in a humanitarian way by blowing them up. Call me crazy...but bombs and humanitarian assistance don't really go together in my mind.

3. "It will be a shot across the bow."

Again...WTF? In war people die. The objective is to kill the enemy with overwhelming force. If you contemplate killing other human beings don't do it half-assed. Either wipe them out or don't bother. Otherwise you create even more enemies down the line.

4. "The World drew a red line, not me."

Okay...THEN WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY? If the world is so damned concerned, why are they not willing to spend their blood and treasure?

This entire situation is bullshit. This is an e-mail I sent my Congressman.

Representative Cantor,

I strongly urge you to cease your support for the Obama Administration's proposed Syrian adventure. I understand your belief that Syria is essentially a proxy war in the region, with Iran behind much of the violence. I will concede the point, however, I do not see any vital U.S. interests in the region that are threatened. Israel is secure and the oil is flowing. If that equation changes, then we would likely need to intervene...but not now.

Please do not allow this administration to waste additional blood and treasure due to Obama's ill-advised statements. We have no business involved in another Arab civil war.

Congressman, I have voted for you for years. I know people who have worked on your staff. You have represented our Congressional District admirably. This vote will be closely scrutinized by your constituents.
Please carefully consider their wishes when you place your vote in the
People's House. We will all be watching...trust me.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
It's too late to save the people. If it's a matter of punishing Assad, send the SEALS in to take him out instead of dropping bombs and killing more of the people.

What is different about this evil dictator? Are they planning to use those chemical weapons elsewhere? Who is likely to take over Syria if Assad is taken out?

If there really is international support for this effort, why is America expected to take the lead?

It can hardly be called a humanitarian effort when more innocents will die with no guarantee that we'll get
Assad.

I suspect that al Qaeda wants us to get involved and that alone is enough reason not to. They clearly have something to gain by this and they are one of our worst enemies.

And if America loses it's credibility, it will be because of Obama. His claim that his credibility is not on the line, just America's, is completely asinine.

Last edited:
It's too late to save the people. If it's a matter of punishing Assad, send the SEALS in to take him out instead of dropping bombs and killing more of the people.

What is different about this evil dictator? Are they planning to use those chemical weapons elsewhere? Who is likely to take over Syria if Assad is taken out?

If there really is international support for this effort, why is America expected to take the lead?

It can hardly be called a humanitarian effort when more innocents will die with no guarantee that we'll get
Assad.

I suspect that al Qaeda wants us to get involved and that alone is enough reason not to. They clearly have something to gain by this and they are one of our worst enemies.

And if America loses it's credibility, it will be because of Obama. His claim that his credibility is not on the line, just America's, is completely asinine.

Well said. I could not agree more.

WelfareQueen - what's up with Cantor these days, anyway? He seems to be baffling and irritating people. One of my good friends in Richmond knows the Cantor family and doesn't hesitate to call and raise hell with him.

I was hoping the GOP would talk some sense to our President...they seem to be on his side for a change...at the worst time....SMH

1. To "Punish" Assad.

WTF? We're going to punish a lot of civilians by blowing them up. That's great logic. Meanwhile, Assad will be doing just fine.

I would think you would not usually help people in a humanitarian way by blowing them up. Call me crazy...but bombs and humanitarian assistance don't really go together in my mind.

Again...WTF? In war people die. The objective is to kill the enemy with overwhelming force. If you contemplate killing other human beings don't do it half-assed. Either wipe them out or don't bother. Otherwise you create even more enemies down the line.

Okay...THEN WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY? If the world is so damned concerned, why are they not willing to spend their blood and treasure?

Representative Cantor,

I strongly urge you to cease your support for the Obama Administration's proposed Syrian adventure. I understand your belief that Syria is essentially a proxy war in the region, with Iran behind much of the violence. I will concede the point, however, I do not see any vital U.S. interests in the region that are threatened. Israel is secure and the oil is flowing. If that equation changes, then we would likely need to intervene...but not now.

Please do not allow this administration to waste additional blood and treasure due to Obama's ill-advised statements. We have no business involved in another Arab civil war.

Congressman, I have voted for you for years. I know people who have worked on your staff. You have represented our Congressional District admirably. This vote will be closely scrutinized by your constituents.

Best Regards,

Good luck, but I don't think that it will work.
Eric Cantor: Campaign Finance/Money - Summary - Representative 2014 | OpenSecrets
Natural Gas: What the War in Syria is Really About

we all know it is about gas pipeline.

but there is absolutely no interest for the US to get involved.
ending the Russian monopoly for the European market is irrelevant for us, at best, if one wants to be cynical - it actually serves the companies who are planning to develop natural gas here, in the US, since Russian monopoly keeps prices high, so our interest should be in keeping Assad well.
Competition from the gas from ME will lower the prices which is not the most beneficial outcome for the US companies.

Unless Cantor is directly involved with those gas companies I don't see what's his beef in the game.

p.s. and don't start about the consumer - nobody that high cares about the people at the bottom ;)

Last edited:

Assad.

LOL, really? It's just not so easy to "send the SEALS in to take him out". There's a lot involved to do the above. Plus, I live in a community that has a large SEAL presence, I see them out and about and with their families. I see guys everyday and then don't see them for months and sometimes for a lot longer even though we live in the same neighborhood and frequent the same place on a regular basis. These supermen need a break; sometimes. They certainly don't need to get involved in another cluster fuck.

We don't need to act unilaterally or get involved, period. Let the "international community" aka the UN handle it.

1. To "Punish" Assad.

Representative Cantor,

Best Regards,

You have my sympathy...

ending the Russian monopoly for the European market is irrelevant for us, at best, if one wants to be cynical - it actually serves the companies who are planning to develop natural gas here, in the US, since Russian monopoly keeps prices high, so our interest should be in keeping Assad well.
Competition from the gas from ME will lower the prices which is not the most beneficial outcome for the US companies.

Unless Cantor is directly involved with those gas companies I don't see what's his beef in the game.

p.s. and don't start about the consumer - nobody that high cares about the people at the bottom ;)

One of his largest contributors is an energy company (Dominion) another large contributor is Banc Suisse(sp), if you google the latter and add Syria to it, there's an article regarding Banc Suisse, the monetary policy of the US and the effect a strike on Syria may have. Or it can be just as simple as this:
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor

I think that the above (AIPAC) is the most logical answer............

One of his largest contributors is an energy company (Dominion) another large contributor is Banc Suisse(sp), if you google the latter and add Syria to it, there's an article regarding Banc Suisse, the monetary policy of the US and the effect a strike on Syria may have. Or it can be just as simple as this:

the last possibility is definitely there, although I don't think it is the most important one. Cantor, being Jewish, is certaainly Israel supporter, but I think it is more related to the energy market.
Or several reasons intertwined.

In any instance, you and me don't want any Syria strikes.
And we are on the opposite sides of the political spectrum :D

Food for thought:
Pro-Israel Campaign Contributions to U.S. Congress Legislators | MapLight - Money and Politics

the last possibility is definitely there, although I don't think it is the most important one. Cantor, being Jewish, is certaainly Israel supporter, but I think it is more related to the energy market.

LOL, no doubt! It would be funny to go issue by issue and see how far apart me and people on the other side of political spectrum really are. For instance, I am totally in favor of the Bill of Rights not being unabridged, how about you? I'm in favor of keeping Our Civil Liberties intact and resist the erosion of such, how about you? I'm in favor of a flat tax or consumption tax, how about you? I'm in favor of the foreign policy George Washington advocated in his "Farewell Speech", how about you? How far apart are we?

WelfareQueen - what's up with Cantor these days, anyway? He seems to be baffling and irritating people. One of my good friends in Richmond knows the Cantor family and doesn't hesitate to call and raise hell with him.

He went to Collegiate...I went to St Christopher's. I was good friends with a girl who worked as a staffer for him. She said he's a complete germ-a-phobe. He carries a little bottle of hand sanitizer with him where ever he goes. He hates to do meet and greets with the public because of all the hand shaking. Kind of a strange guy.

Who ever that gets in power does this...

Republican or democrat. Fact.

The base backs them blindly...

Me, I'd rather be spending the resources on education, infrastructure, tech and science!!!! ;) Kicking the worlds ass with the best standards on earth = win.

“Waste additional blood and treasure,” as in the blood and treasure already wasted by two failed wars started by GWB.

Perhaps if you and others on the right had been more forceful ten years ago with your new-found ‘opposition’ to war, there’d been no waste of blood and treasure at all.

I'll never be opposed to killing al Qaeda. These bastards want to blow America up for our beliefs.

Anyone that disagrees should watch the planes hit the towers on 9-11.

Assad on the other and is holding these cock suckers back from gaining more power.

Last edited:

LOL, no doubt! It would be funny to go issue by issue and see how far apart me and people on the other side of political spectrum really are. For instance, I am totally in favor of the Bill of Rights not being unabridged, how about you? I'm in favor of keeping Our Civil Liberties intact and resist the erosion of such, how about you? I'm in favor of a flat tax or consumption tax, how about you? I'm in favor of the foreign policy George Washington advocated in his "Farewell Speech", how about you? How far apart are we?

You are correct. Cantor is extremely pro Israel. I think that is his primary motivation in this instance. Both his kids are in Hebrew school here in Richmond. He actually seems to be a very devout guy. Little known fact, but Richmond has one of the largest and most influential Jewish Communities in the U.S. Jewish people have been major power brokers in this city since its founding in the early 1700's. Cantor is not an exception to the rule.

“Waste additional blood and treasure,” as in the blood and treasure already wasted by two failed wars started by GWB.

Perhaps if you and others on the right had been more forceful ten years ago with your new-found ‘opposition’ to war, there’d been no waste of blood and treasure at all.

You do not know my views. Bush was clearly in error in Iraq. I have said so for years. Blood and treasure were wasted in that conflict. Iraq was wholly unnecessary and a huge waste. Period.

Now stop assuming and ask questions first, okay. You don't want to keep looking foolish. :)

Forum List

Back