I knew there was a problem with the criminal justice system long before all this happened

I saw what happened when a black man was charged with shoplifting, he barely touched a security guard on the way out and they charged him with assault and because the security guard was elderly they enhanced the charge with elder abuse.

I leave people alone and I don't hurt anyone that I don't have good cause to.

Oh boy, if I had a nickel...

... I am curious about something. What do you consider 'good cause' to hurt someone?
If they make a credible threat to me or mine, or if they actually try to hurt me or mine.

Or if I'm being paid to.

How many times do people make 'credible threats' to you or yours? I'm getting the feeling that it's rather a lot, really.

Just how many people have you pissed off?

Most cops are human and if you're polite and respectful to them they will want to let you off with a warning.
Imposing your will on others feels good, plain and simple. It's very human to enjoy and feel a sense of satisfaction when you force someone to do something, just like a player feels when he makes a goal or scores a point when the opposing team is busting their ass to prevent it.
This is normal to feel this, and it is easy to find yourself doing it for the wrong reasons. Especially for cops, because there is very little accountability for this abuse of power. I saw it with NCOs and officers in the army, and I have seen it with LE.
I don't have this impulse, I suppose. Even when I'm in charge of someone, I really don't like telling them what to do.

Most cops are human and if you're polite and respectful to them they will want to let you off with a warning.
Imposing your will on others feels good, plain and simple. It's very human to enjoy and feel a sense of satisfaction when you force someone to do something, just like a player feels when he makes a goal or scores a point when the opposing team is busting their ass to prevent it.
This is normal to feel this, and it is easy to find yourself doing it for the wrong reasons. Especially for cops, because there is very little accountability for this abuse of power. I saw it with NCOs and officers in the army, and I have seen it with LE.

What you don't see, the part that they never show on TV ... is that every time you 'impose your will' on someone else, it's followed up with a mountain of paperwork. Paperwork you can never complete before the end of your shift.

Truthfully, it's easier, and much more satisfying, to let someone off with a warning.

However, there are some people who won't be deterred by a warning and will see a warning as proof that they can continue their behavior without consequence. Those are the people who won't allow you to give them a warning.

Some people force you to give them tickets.

for some strange reason, that will seriously get a cop pissed off about 80 to 90% of the time.

How precisely, did you attempt to 'assert your rights'? I'd really like to hear that story.
I asked why I was pulled over, and when he admitted I had broke no law and committed no violation, asked why I was being rousted?

(I knew what time it was, he was friend's with the cop who had been dating the woman I was seeing. She dumped him for me and all of a sudden there are a lot of blue lights in my rearview)

Another time, a cop pulled up to the curb in front of my house and waved me over like he had some right to have me come to him...... I ignored his gesture and just looked at him. He started walking up my driveway after a moment and I met him halfway and quietly asked who the fuck gave him permission to step onto my property?
He started to bow up and then took a better look at me and decided to beat feet back to the curb.

Most cops aren't interested in your respect. All they want is your compliance so that whatever business they have with you can be concluded as quickly and painlessly as possible.
And that's it, right there..... by law, in a lot of encounters the public has no obligation to comply or cooperate.
And cops get pissy and escalate things when we don't.

Prosecutors and police have too much power in the criminal justice system. If they charge you with a crime, it doesn't matter if you're guilty, you have to take the plea bargain to avoid the expense of trial and the possibility of a long prison sentence.

Public defenders won't help you. They are overworked and not very motivated.

A private attorney will help you, but only the wealthy can afford to pay.
Give up crime. Problem solved.
I've had three encounters with police despite the fact that I'm a law-abiding citizen.
What time frame, 8 months or 20 years? If 8 months, maybe the X has friends on the force.

I'm white and middle-aged and respectable-looking so any cop I encounter will assume they'll get in trouble if they do anything to me that's out of line.

The one time that didn't work for me was when I went out driving in my pajamas and looked like a homeless person. When my wife showed up they realized I was a regular citizen and they started showing me more respect.

The way out is being connected to people who can get you out.

White people will often have these connections.

Black people almost never do.
It's about planning ahead; I have a bondsman, and a lawyer. I have a friend who is a shift supervisor at county. And I did a favor for, and maintain a relationship with, a person who is a direct line to an ABoT shotcaller in Huntsville if I ever get sent there and need to call on that.

I'm living pretty clean these days but since when has that been enough to keep a man out of jail?

I'm all about planning ahead.

If you're planning ahead for getting arrested, I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you're not exactly a choir boy.
I'm not.

I'm a free man determined to keep living that way. I leave people alone and I don't hurt anyone that I don't have good cause to. But I don't allow anyone to abuse me or my people either.
Treat me good and I'll treat you better. Treat me bad and I'll treat you worse.

You would not believe how many people hate me and want me thrown in a cage for the rest of my life and/or killed just for that.
You must be a real charmer.

I leave people alone and I don't hurt anyone that I don't have good cause to.

Oh boy, if I had a nickel...

... I am curious about something. What do you consider 'good cause' to hurt someone?
If they make a credible threat to me or mine, or if they actually try to hurt me or mine.

Or if I'm being paid to.

How many times do people make 'credible threats' to you or yours? I'm getting the feeling that it's rather a lot, really.

Just how many people have you pissed off?
Nobody has ever done it more than once, I'll say that.

I'm in the business of telling people "No." People don't like that and I get threatened at least once a week. Now you know about 99% of these are just talking shit, but once in awhile you get the guy who will go through with it...… you have to take that guy seriously if you don't want to end up facedown and bleeding in a parking lot.

I don't have this impulse, I suppose. Even when I'm in charge of someone, I really don't like telling them what to do.
Me either.

He started walking up my driveway after a moment and I met him halfway and quietly asked who the fuck gave him permission to step onto my property?

Guess what. Stepping on you your property is perfectly legitimate ... for anyone. It's the reason you aren't allowed to shoot the mailman, or the meter reader, or the neighbor's dog for trespass.

Unless specifically expressed by sign or barrier, anyone (including police) have implicit permission to be on your property. Once you have told that person to leave however, the implicit permission is withdrawn and it is trespass for them to remain.

I'm sure you believe the officer was responding to your very threatening and imposing presence when he withdrew to the curb. But, sorry to disappoint you, he was just complying with the law.

There are circumstances where police can enter your property without permission (implicit or otherwise). This was obviously not one of those circumstance.

Nobody has ever done it more than once, I'll say that.

I can't imagine why you would ever have problems with police.
Calvin_Hobbes_Laughing.jpg

I'm white and middle-aged and respectable-looking so any cop I encounter will assume they'll get in trouble if they do anything to me that's out of line.

The one time that didn't work for me was when I went out driving in my pajamas and looked like a homeless person. When my wife showed up they realized I was a regular citizen and they started showing me more respect.
I got a flat top and still have a lot of military bearing left from 20 years in the Army; I get mistaken for a cop a lot.

I got a flat top and still have a lot of military bearing left from 20 years in the Army; I get mistaken for a cop a lot.

I don't know a single cop with a flat top ... except on TV.

The way out is being connected to people who can get you out.

White people will often have these connections.

Black people almost never do.
It's about planning ahead; I have a bondsman, and a lawyer. I have a friend who is a shift supervisor at county. And I did a favor for, and maintain a relationship with, a person who is a direct line to an ABoT shotcaller in Huntsville if I ever get sent there and need to call on that.

I'm living pretty clean these days but since when has that been enough to keep a man out of jail?

I'm all about planning ahead.

If you're planning ahead for getting arrested, I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you're not exactly a choir boy.
I'm not.

I'm a free man determined to keep living that way. I leave people alone and I don't hurt anyone that I don't have good cause to. But I don't allow anyone to abuse me or my people either.
Treat me good and I'll treat you better. Treat me bad and I'll treat you worse.

You would not believe how many people hate me and want me thrown in a cage for the rest of my life and/or killed just for that.
You must be a real charmer.
I can be but it's work.... and I'm getting tired of making the effort, the older I get.

I keep to myself and I don't fuck with people. If someone has a beef with me, I sure as hell didn't instigate it.

I asked why I was pulled over, and when he admitted I had broke no law and committed no violation, asked why I was being rousted?

Actually, in most states, police don't require any probable cause to pull you over. It's called 'implied consent' which simply states, by virtue of driving on a public road, you consent to being stopped and your vehicle inspected for safety. In some states, you can even be breathalyzed without probable cause.

Implied Consent Laws exist in over 30 different states.

Forum List

Back