'I study in a cave': Going to school in Syria

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Imagine children having to get their schooling this way!!!

| Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:10am EDT
Related: WORLD, SYRIA
TRAMLA/DOUMA, SYRIA | BY KHALIL ASHAWI AND BASSAM KHABIEH

Girls sit inside an empty classroom as they pose for a photograph during a celebration marking the end of the school year in the town of Douma, eastern Ghouta in Damascus, Syria May 21, 2016.
REUTERS/BASSAM KHABIEH
left
http://www.reuters.com/news/picture...-syr?articleId=USKCN0ZD1ZJ&slideId=1143075385

left
1 of 27
right

Syrian student Ali Khaled Stouf has to walk down several steps into a hole in the ground to get inside his school -- a cave.

There for four hours each morning, he studies subjects like Arabic, English, maths and religion, sitting on a rug with dozens of children in the underground space in Tramla, an opposition-held village in Syria's northwestern Idlib province.

"I study in a cave. The conditions are not very good but the professor and his wife treat us very well," the 14-year-old, originally from neighboring Hama province, said. "We sit on the ground and often we don't see clearly because it is dark."

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
His teacher Mohamed and his wife, also from Hama, have opened up their underground home to teach some 100 children, whose families have been displaced by the Syrian conflict.

More than five years of war, which began as a peaceful protest against President Bashar al-Assad and has since drawn in foreign military involvement and allowed for the growth of Islamic State, has displaced millions of Syrian children and limited their access to education.

Continue reading at:

Forum List

Back