I think Trump can win a trade war with China, so long as he doesn't go Hitler for a two-three front

so WTF does Trump win ?

he's already cost soy bean farmers 81.7 million pounds of sales - did he win the empty burlap sacks ?
Link?

How about that 270% tariff caniduh has on American dairy? How's that helping American farmers?

They are offsetting the 70% of revenue US dairy farmers get from government subsidies

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

so WTF does Trump win ?

he's already cost soy bean farmers 81.7 million pounds of sales - did he win the empty burlap sacks ?
Link?

How about that 270% tariff caniduh has on American dairy? How's that helping American farmers?

They are offsetting the 70% of revenue US dairy farmers get from government subsidies

Yeah, that's why Trump is just screwing this up beyond belief. No one can really defend China's trade on the merits, beyond saying the US in the early 20th century played a similar game by producing cheap stuff in sweat shops and making imports too expensive with tariffs ... which ironically Trump may see as our Golden Age.

But the developed economies we trade with ... we have taxpayer support for protecting market sectors, and so do the other countries. Disputes have to be politically settled, and even then when unfair trade is clear there is a remedy in international law.

Maybe someone can understand Trump's game here. Stoking the base's sense of resentment and victimhood? Trying to deflect from what he apparently has known for months will be a damning charge that he conspired with forigners in an election and has also conspired to have others perjure themselves to cover it up?

Gee, pissing off China, Russia, N. Korea and Iran, along with Europe and Canada seem so ... remarkable. The remarks which come to mind are absurd, ridiculous, foolish, dumb, asinine and stupid, something only a megalomaniac could create.
The dems have chosen to support China, Russia, N. Korea and Iran, along with Europe and Canada, over US citizens. Very sad to see them align themselves against the US.

LOL what a bunch of crock. It is the Republicans who can't fall over themselves fast enough to suck up to Russia.

Trade Wars are not good for America- or Americans.

Very sad to see Don the Con risking our economy just so he can pretend he has balls with his Trade War.

so WTF does Trump win ?

Link?

Yeah, that's why Trump is just screwing this up beyond belief. No one can really defend China's trade on the merits, beyond saying the US in the early 20th century played a similar game by producing cheap stuff in sweat shops and making imports too expensive with tariffs ... which ironically Trump may see as our Golden Age.

But the developed economies we trade with ... we have taxpayer support for protecting market sectors, and so do the other countries. Disputes have to be politically settled, and even then when unfair trade is clear there is a remedy in international law.

Maybe someone can understand Trump's game here. Stoking the base's sense of resentment and victimhood? Trying to deflect from what he apparently has known for months will be a damning charge that he consp

I don't know what Don the Con's game is- but I agree with you in general.

Certainly action against China is warranted- but this is swinging a sledgehammer in a glass shop to kill a fly.

The actions against our allies is pure protectionism- the antithesis of Capitalism- and will enrich steel mill owners at the expense of farmers- and taxpayers.

Well, political negotiation has not worked with Jina. And simply put, any cheap shit they make, Indonesia can too. Some farmers will be hurt, but so long as the crazy old shit doesn't keep after our Allies too, there will be markets for commodities like grains and meat.

He might get some cooperation from even his own party if he acted sane.

Gee, pissing off China, Russia, N. Korea and Iran, along with Europe and Canada seem so ... remarkable. The remarks which come to mind are absurd, ridiculous, foolish, dumb, asinine and stupid, something only a megalomaniac could create.
The dems have chosen to support China, Russia, N. Korea and Iran, along with Europe and Canada, over US citizens. Very sad to see them align themselves against the US.

LOL what a bunch of crock. It is the Republicans who can't fall over themselves fast enough to suck up to Russia.

Very sad to see Don the Con risking our economy just so he can pretend he has balls with his Trade War.
Again, why do you support punitive tariffs on American goods and services? Just explain your reasoning instead of the typical leftist bullshit.

Again, why do you support punitive tariffs on American goods and services? Just explain your reasoning instead of the typical leftist bullshit.

I guess I'm a leftist, since no one on the right seems able to define what a "leftist" is. But for the moment, as a liberal and a Democratic voter, I support free trade, such as NAFTA & The TPP.

[Trump withdrew the U.S. from the Trans-Pacific Partnership last year, causing fears that it would not prosper without its most influential country. But the remaining 11 members pressed ahead, saying they were showing resolve against protectionism]
Link to above:
11 nations sign Pacific free trade agreement, not including U.S.

Since we cannot afford to pay the wages to folks who make most durable products in our country, we need to recognize that technology works cheaper, faster, cleaner and with greater accuracy than a human being.

Hence we need to look forward, not backwards as Trump seems to be doing.

Future jobs should focus on technology and service, not manufacturing. Some examples and ideas off the top:

• Reduce the work to 30 hours;
  • Expand the work week to Mon-Sat.
  • those who work: M, T & W will have Th, F and Sat off;
  • Those who work Th, F, & S, will have Sunday, M and Tu off.
  • This will create 52 more Week Ends per year, time for leisure, recreation, shopping, education and travel - opening more jobs in these areas.

Why do you lie about what I support- such typical contard bullshit.

You are just slurping up Don the Con's lies.

Lets use for an example one of Don the Con's favorites.

Europe imposes punitive tariffs on American cars! 10% while America only charges 2.5%!

Which is true. But as Paul Harvey used to say- lets look at the rest of the story.

America charges 25% tariffs on European light trucks- you don't hear Don the Con mentioning that- do you?

Tariffs are full of this kind of crap- special interest stuff in every country- America imposes all sorts of punitive tariffs on imported goods- they are just different than the punitive tariffs imposed on others.

Of course Don the Con's trade war with our allies supposedly is to 'protect our Steel and Aluminum industry'- in other words- pure protectionism- which of course is anti-capitalism.

So why do you support anti-capitalist Don the Con policies?

Well, political negotiation has not worked with Jina. And simply put, any cheap shit they make, Indonesia can too. Some farmers will be hurt, but so long as the crazy old shit doesn't keep after our Allies too, there will be markets for commodities like grains and meat.

Well I am sure the farmers would appreciate your concern.

We currently have a huge surplus of meat- the Trade Wars are just going to make that worse as all of our trade partners are targeting agriculture- including meat products- its a two-fer for them- they get to put the pressure on Don the Con and protect their own agriculture.

And no- Indonesia cannot make everything China has- not now- not for several years. Not only are there not the factories there, there isn't the infrastructure to support it.

One of the reasons that buyers like the Trump Organization love to source from China is not only can you source product at great prices- but the supply chain out of China works.

Supply chains out of places like India and Indonesia are far more challenging and much more likely to go wrong.

Ultimately of course- American companies will- if the tariffs continue- shift production to other places- but what if Don the Con decides that Vietnam is cheating us also in a year- and does the same thing.

There is a reason why Don the Con's Trade Wars are getting push back from all sides- Conservatives and Liberals- Democrats and Republicans.

We currently have a huge surplus of meat- the Trade Wars are just going to make that worse as all of our trade partners are targeting agriculture- including meat products- its a two-fer for them- they get to put the pressure on Don the Con and protect their own agriculture.

And no- Indonesia cannot make everything China has- not now- not for several years. Not only are there not the factories there, there isn't the infrastructure to support it.

One of the reasons that buyers like the Trump Organization love to source from China is not only can you source product at great prices- but the supply chain out of China works.

Supply chains out of places like India and Indonesia are far more challenging and much more likely to go wrong.

Ultimately of course- American companies will- if the tariffs continue- shift production to other places- but what if Don the Con decides that Vietnam is cheating us also in a year- and does the same thing.

There is a reason why Don the Con's Trade Wars are getting push back from all sides- Conservatives and Liberals- Democrats and Republicans.
Actually, if Trump was only doing the tariff thing with Jina, I wouldn't be adverse to upping the Farm Bill to include some short term price support.

You seem to assume that I think sanity will prevail in DonLand. It won't. His goals are anything but for our benefit. But our past dealings with Jina have been bad.

Ironically, however, our trade relations with other Asian rim nations besides Jina are a lot better than predicted when we pulled out of TPP.

Actually, if Trump was only doing the tariff thing with Jina, I wouldn't be adverse to upping the Farm Bill to include some short term price support.

You seem to assume that I think sanity will prevail in DonLand. It won't. His goals are anything but for our benefit. But our past dealings with Jina have been bad.

Ironically, however, our trade relations with other Asian rim nations besides Jina are a lot better than predicted when we pulled out of TPP.

Oh our trade relations with many of the other Asian countries will almost certainly 'improve' as we source more from them instead of China.

But let me clarify- not all of our past relations with China have been 'bad'- but certainly China itself has not acted in good faith when it comes to trade- and again- I am not opposed to confronting China on trade- but like I said before- this is akin to using a sledgehammer in a glass shop to swat flies.

Yes he can, because China needs American money FAR more than America needs trashy little trinkets from China.

There's too many money makers in China that are skating on thin ice to able to weather a trade war with America. Our economy is booming, thanks to president Trump, their's isn't. They like their money, and if they see that the only way to KEEP making money is level the playing the field, they're going to do it. Same with the E.U., who has already capitulated.

Let us know when and how is that going to happen.

U.S. retailers, shoe companies urge Trump not to hit China with tariffs

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...g-big-retailers-sending-trump-letter.amp.html

A number of major national retailers, including Menomonee Falls-based Kohl’s, Sears, Target and Wal-Mart, have sent a letter to President Donald Trump to express their concerns about the impact of the president’s proposed tariffs.

The letter, signed by retailers that represent $1.5 trillion in annual sales and tens of million of American jobs, said the industry is concerned that any benefits from reform for retailers and families will be wiped out by broadly applied tariffs on every day consumer products. The retailers are joined in their concerns by the Retail Industry Leaders Association, American Apparel & Footwear Association and the National Retail Federation.

Hmmm...I wonder why?
23 Brands Caught In Sweatshop Scandals

Wonder what is that has to do with retailers blasting Trump?

Yes he can, because China needs American money FAR more than America needs trashy little trinkets from China.

There's too many money makers in China that are skating on thin ice to able to weather a trade war with America. Our economy is booming, thanks to president Trump, their's isn't. They like their money, and if they see that the only way to KEEP making money is level the playing the field, they're going to do it. Same with the E.U., who has already capitulated.

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...g-big-retailers-sending-trump-letter.amp.html

A number of major national retailers, including Menomonee Falls-based Kohl’s, Sears, Target and Wal-Mart, have sent a letter to President Donald Trump to express their concerns about the impact of the president’s proposed tariffs.

The letter, signed by retailers that represent $1.5 trillion in annual sales and tens of million of American jobs, said the industry is concerned that any benefits from reform for retailers and families will be wiped out by broadly applied tariffs on every day consumer products. The retailers are joined in their concerns by the Retail Industry Leaders Association, American Apparel & Footwear Association and the National Retail Federation.
"Patience" is a virtue, and this case, trade wars aren't won overnight.

These companies are idiots. They're not seeing how much BETTER they'll have it once there are no tariffs or trade barriers.

Trump is an idiot. There is no such thing as NO tariffs or trade barriers.

Hmmm...I wonder why?

Not quite sure I could make any sense of your post. But I'll give it a try. If retailers are getting product dirt cheap from China, or anywhere else for that matter, and that flow of product is threatened, they will lash out. And I'm pretty sure some of those retailers, like Sears for example, cannot afford to pay a higher price for the product.

We don’t sell shit to China because of their tariffs. They dump their shit into our big box retailers like Wal-Mart and Targetas well as dollar stores. They need us...we don’t need them. I say raise tariffs on Chinese rap to 50% and then you will see “Made in USA” back on our shelves again. Fuck China, they are an enemy of the United States.

"Patience" is a virtue, and this case, trade wars aren't won overnight.

These companies are idiots. They're not seeing how much BETTER they'll have it once there are no tariffs or trade barriers.

Trump is an idiot. There is no such thing as NO tariffs or trade barriers.
Trump is our best POTUS since JFK or Reagan.

Hmmm...I wonder why?

Not quite sure I could make any sense of your post. But I'll give it a try. If retailers are getting product dirt cheap from China, or anywhere else for that matter, and that flow of product is threatened, they will lash out. And I'm pretty sure some of those retailers, like Sears for example, cannot afford to pay a higher price for the product.
Then make it in America with American workers. Fuck China.

I completely disagree that his policies - hate, fear and Brinkmanship - are good for America, or any other nation-state which is threatened or insulted by Trump.

I completely disagree that Trump is indebted to any one person or thing, other than himself. I completely believe he is a narcissist, a megalomaniac and a dangerous to our county and are people, as well as other people around the world.

He has a callous disregard for others, and lacks the fortitude & discipline to study issues and consider outcomes before he reacts; he lies and misleads We the People daily he has taken credit for things others did, and blamed others for his errors. He is by far the worst POTUS and it may take a couple of generations to repair the damage he has done to our country.

031117_TrumpRussiaNYT_COLOR.jpg

Trump was born in Jamaica

Forum List

Back