ID law found discriminatory

South Carolina voter ID law rejected by Justice Department - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington— The Obama administration's civil rights office is stepping up its fight with the Southern states over voting rights, announcing it will block a new South Carolina law that would require voters to show a government-issued photo identification before casting a ballot.

The Justice Department invoked the Voting Rights Act on Friday and said the new photo-identification rule could deny the right to vote for tens of thousands of blacks and other minorities.

"According to the state's statistics, there are 81,938 minority citizens who are already registered to vote and who lack DMV-issued identification," Thomas E. Perez, the chief of the department's civil rights division, said in a letter to South Carolina officials. He referred to a driver's license issued by the state Department of Motor Vehicles, the most common form of photo identification.

Can't discriminate against illegals who want to vote.

Not me! I want eye scans or fingerprint scans that say "no, you haven't voted, go ahead," or "yes, you already voted, go to jail now."

:lmao:

Because people voting twice is such a widespread problem and there aren't any laws against it already.

Then why such a big push against ID...
We have to produce ID almost daily as it is. :mad:

I'm 34. I can't remember the last time someone asked me for my ID. Probably at the airport.

However voter ID laws have been found to be constitutional (Indiana) by the USSC several years ago. The reason why the DOJ has a say is because some southern states many years ago hindered blacks ability to vote and any changes that those states want to make about voting must be approved by the DOJ.

In this instance I believe the DOJ has stepped on its own foot and faces a court action that could overturn the decision. Since prior voting ID laws have been found to constitutional the decision by the DOJ seems to be in violation of those decisions and may ultimately force Congress to take the role of overseeing these states away from a highly politicized entity.

However voter ID laws have been found to be constitutional (Indiana) by the USSC several years ago. The reason why the DOJ has a say is because some southern states many years ago hindered blacks ability to vote and any changes that those states want to make about voting must be approved by the DOJ.

In this instance I believe the DOJ has stepped on its own foot and faces a court action that could overturn the decision. Since prior voting ID laws have been found to constitutional the decision by the DOJ seems to be in violation of those decisions and may ultimately force Congress to take the role of overseeing these states away from a highly politicized entity.

It shouldn't surprise anyone, all holders doj has done is walk with two left feet.

It shouldn't surprise anyone, all holders doj has done is walk with two left feet.

Holder is a criminal. Nothing else need be said.

This is the most corrupt I have ever seen government and the democrats cheer it on.

Why do the obama and holder keep insisting minorities are not competent enough to attain an id? Do they have that little confidence in minorities?

apparently minorities who are so heavily patronized don't realize it, or they have something to gain........I cannot think of a third alternative. *shrugs*

I think its pretty insulting but hey, that's just me.

But how can the Illegals,Felons,Deceased Citizens,and Fictitious Voters vote for the Democrats if there are voter ID requirements? This stuff has nothing to do with 'Racism.' It's just another Democrat scam.

This is the most corrupt I have ever seen government and the democrats cheer it on.

How many times have I heard conservatives talk about how they are primarily guided by principle?

Well, what could be more principled than supporting the rights of all eligible Americans to go to the polls and vote without placing unwarranted roadblocks in front of voters which can only serve to disenfranchise countless eligible voters?

Maybe I asked the question the wrong way. I'll try again.

What could be more IMPORTANT than supporting the rights of all eligible Americans to go to the polls and vote without placing unwarranted roadblocks in front of voters which can only serve to disenfranchise countless eligible voters?

Helping to insure victory, perhaps? Regardless of what it takes?

How many times have I heard conservatives talk about how they are primarily guided by principle?

Well, what could be more principled than supporting the rights of all eligible Americans to go to the polls and vote without placing unwarranted roadblocks in front of voters which can only serve to disenfranchise countless eligible voters?

What could be more IMPORTANT than supporting the rights of all eligible Americans to go to the polls and vote without placing unwarranted roadblocks in front of voters which can only serve to disenfranchise countless eligible voters?

What could be more IMPORTANT than supporting the rights of all eligible Americans to go to the polls and vote

Stopping illegal votes from diluting the votes of eligible Americans.

Speaking for myself, I don't consider the id requirement a roadblock. It is incredibly easy to get the free one, especially given more than a year to get it.

Yep. The Democrat party is the party of voter fraud. They have made it one of their main campaign planks.
That is exactly why they do not like voter id.

Why do you guys spew something unproveable non sense conspiracy theory then proceed to jerk each other off by pretending the made up thing you just made up is real? :lol:

There isnt a way to cradle someones nutsack via the internet, but this is dam close.

Why do you?

What could be more IMPORTANT than supporting the rights of all eligible Americans to go to the polls and vote

Because they can't get elected any other way but by fraud.

Speaking for myself, I don't consider the id requirement a roadblock. It is incredibly easy to get the free one, especially given more than a year to get it.

It would be a roadblock for my mother. She's elderly, disabled, and hasn't driven for years. But people know who she is.

It would be a roadblock for many elderly voters and people who don't own cars, most of whom are probably poor and on fixed incomes.

And what about people who vote absentee ballot? Do they need to show ID too? Or should we do away with absentee ballots and force everyone to go to the polls?

To get on the voter rolls, you have to register and sign your name. What's wrong with using a someone's signature card, just like a bank uses in order to give someone access to their safety deposit box?

And Holder is a criminal anyway. He should have already been arrested for 'Fast & Furious.' So he can go to Hell.

I haven't heard anyone make a convincing case (you know, with evidence?) that individual voter fraud is a problem in this country.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about institutional voter fraud, as in hacking voting machines, and ballot box manipulation like happens in countries like Russia.

It would be a roadblock for my mother. She's elderly, disabled, and hasn't driven for years. But people know who she is.

It would be a roadblock for many elderly voters and people who don't own cars, most of whom are probably poor and on fixed incomes.

And what about people who vote absentee ballot? Do they need to show ID too? Or should we do away with absentee ballots and force everyone to go to the polls?

To get on the voter rolls, you have to register and sign your name. What's wrong with using a someone's signature card, just like a bank uses in order to give someone access to their safety deposit box?

Sorry, there's no excuses and if you can't take the time, given a year to do it, to get your mother to wherever it is to get he id, then you should be ashamed of yourself.

SC is not a blue state. It's not controlled by Democrats. Conservative Republicans are in control of the apparatus of gov't. So, how exactly would Democrats rig elections, again?

In fact, there are 8 states that have strict voter ID laws. With the exception of Hawaii, all the states are red states: Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Wisconsin, SC, Tennessee, and Texas. They're all states that are Republican-controlled.

You know conservatives don’t take kindly to facts, messes with the dogma.

…how would this prevent any particular group or groups from voting?

explain to me Chris why a black person cant go and get a picture ID......

Again, that’s not the issue.

States are responsible to ensure voters have access to the polls, potentially restrictive measures must be justified, and there is no evidence voter ID laws are justified or even work. Whether one can obtain a picture ID or not is irrelevant.

States are also responsible to assure that all voters have equal ability to have their vote counted. If ID's are not required, how is that responsibility fulfilled?

If I can vote 10 time and you can only vote one time, is that fair?

anyone can get a picture id at the DMV. You don't have to drive. I got my son one when he was 12. I think here it cost 5 bucks. but for seniors it might be free..

Last edited:

Sorry, there's no excuses and if you can't take the time, given a year to do it, to get your mother to wherever it is to get he id, then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Are you out of your fuckin' mind? My mother, like probably hundreds of thousands of other elderly people, is bed ridden. The only place to get a license (which she doesn't friggin' need) is in another town about 12 miles away.

It's not only a hardship for my mother and our family. It's a danger to her health and well-being.

Are you out of your fuckin' mind? My mother, like probably hundreds of thousands of other elderly people, is bed ridden. The only place to get a license (which she doesn't friggin' need) is in another town about 12 miles away.

It's not only a hardship for my mother and our family. It's a danger to her health and well-being.

She doesn't need a drivers license, just a picture id that is available at the dmv

Forum List

Back