If all theist religions promise the same stuff,

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
why Christianity, Islam, or Hinduism? Better empty promises religions than those which suppress our humanity. Wanna be a member of a religion, shouldn't you pick one that accepts your humanity and lets you do most of the things you naturally wish to? Like have lots of sex, get drunk, eat til you explode?

The Greek pantheon lets worshippers do these things and more. Place to start maybe. I mean why join Scientology if you're required to believe absolute nonsense even more implausible than conventional religions when there's older religions that don't try and turn you into a Ken or Barbie doll (sexless.)

why Christianity, Islam, or Hinduism? Better empty promises religions than those which suppress our humanity. Wanna be a member of a religion, shouldn't you pick one that accepts your humanity and lets you do most of the things you naturally wish to? Like have lots of sex, get drunk, eat til you explode?

The Greek pantheon lets worshippers do these things and more. Place to start maybe. I mean why join Scientology if you're required to believe absolute nonsense even more implausible than conventional religions when there's older religions that don't try and turn you into a Ken or Barbie doll (sexless.)
Part of the answer to the above is that overwhelmingly, people do not choose their religion. Overwhelmingly, people simply accept the majority religion of their familial, societal place of birth. Someone's religion is nothing more than happenstance due to geography.

What religions try to turn folks into "sexless Ken and Barbie dolls?" Obviously, Christians marry and have kids. The Muslim population is exploding. Hinduism embraces sexual activity. So what are you talking about?

Part of the answer to the above is that overwhelmingly, people do not choose their religion. Overwhelmingly, people simply accept the majority religion of their familial, societal place of birth. Someone's religion is nothing more than happenstance due to geography.

Not always the case. Some folks leave religion for secularism. Some folks leave one religion for another. Some non-religious folks seek spiritual understanding then turn to a religion. I was raised in a household that claimed Christianity but never went to church or really attempted to keep the tenets of Christianity. It was a Baptist household but I'm no longer a Baptist. I'm simply a "Christian" who believes the Bible. No prefix necessary. So people can and do change.

What religions try to turn folks into "sexless Ken and Barbie dolls?" Obviously, Christians marry and have kids. The Muslim population is exploding. Hinduism embraces sexual activity. So what are you talking about?

Paul from Christianity taught to remain celibate even if married. Hinduism doesn't embrace sexuality as evidenced by the puritanical modern-day India which is now so sexually repressed they have a domestic nightmare problem with rape. Muslim population explodes in large part, I think, because they deified an illiterate which describes most of the Muslim world. As to sex and Islam, they're the MOST repressed theologically putting it off until Paradise.

You're confusing practice with scripture. Scripturally, these religions repress and suppress sexuality. What people who claim to be a given religion actually do is usually different.

As with Catholicism, Scripturally and doctrinally forbidding birth control despite the vast majority of Catholics using birth control.

Not always the case. Some folks leave religion for secularism. Some folks leave one religion for another. Some non-religious folks seek spiritual understanding then turn to a religion. I was raised in a household that claimed Christianity but never went to church or really attempted to keep the tenets of Christianity. It was a Baptist household but I'm no longer a Baptist. I'm simply a "Christian" who believes the Bible. No prefix necessary. So people can and do change.

Pretty weak. You're left to explain the obvious geography that divides the planet and the dominant religions in those geographical regions.

Paul from Christianity taught to remain celibate even if married. Hinduism doesn't embrace sexuality as evidenced by the puritanical modern-day India which is now so sexually repressed they have a domestic nightmare problem with rape. Muslim population explodes in large part, I think, because they deified an illiterate which describes most of the Muslim world. As to sex and Islam, they're the MOST repressed theologically putting it off until Paradise.

You're confusing practice with scripture. Scripturally, these religions repress and suppress sexuality. What people who claim to be a given religion actually do is usually different.

As with Catholicism, Scripturally and doctrinally forbidding birth control despite the vast majority of Catholics using birth control.

India is "sexually repressed?" Have you researched their population level lately? Paul taught that "if it were possible" to remain celibate that a preacher of God's word should do so but it was by no means a command. He also said that "a bishop should be the husband of one wife" and that he should be a sober leader of his wife and children. No sexual repression there.

Birth Control is a totally different issue and strays from the point of the OP. Birth Control simply ventures away from a basic, underlying tenet of the Bible which says to "be fruitful and multiply." That statement, in and of itself, indicates that God wants folks to have children which requires sexual activity.

Pretty weak. You're left to explain the obvious geography that divides the planet and the dominant religions in those geographical regions.

Predominance is not exclusivity. There are Muslims in Christian America and there are Christians in Islamic Iran. There are secularists in Christian Ireland and there are Christians in secularist China.

India is "sexually repressed?" Have you researched their population level lately? Paul taught that "if it were possible" to remain celibate that a preacher of God's word should do so but it was by no means a command. He also said that "a bishop should be the husband of one wife" and that he should be a sober leader of his wife and children. No sexual repression there.

Birth Control is a totally different issue and strays from the point of the OP. Birth Control simply ventures away from a basic, underlying tenet of the Bible which says to "be fruitful and multiply." That statement, in and of itself, indicates that God wants folks to have children which requires sexual activity.

India Needs to Get Over Its Prudish Sexual Attitudes - Reason.com

Indians Are Erotic People But Sexually Repressed INDIAWRITES - Connecting India and The World News INDIAWRITES 8211 Connecting India and The World News

"In this interview with Manish Chand, Kakar explains how the land of the Kamasutra that flaunts erotic sculptures in temples of Konarak and Khajuraho slipped into sexual repression centuries ago that India is still recovering from."

Might consider just taking my word as Gospel anything having to do with sex.

Indians Are Erotic People But Sexually Repressed INDIAWRITES - Connecting India and The World News INDIAWRITES 8211 Connecting India and The World News

"In this interview with Manish Chand, Kakar explains how the land of the Kamasutra that flaunts erotic sculptures in temples of Konarak and Khajuraho slipped into sexual repression centuries ago that India is still recovering from."

So are you saying that India should embrace a religion that encourages open, free, and unrepressed sex so that she can become vastly more over-populated than she already is? Not a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with being careful where sexual activity is concerned. Just "having sex" for the sake of "having sex" is irresponsible and on the level of animal behavior. Humans have been given some unique gifts. Over and above the gift of sexual organs (yes, I see that as a gift and a miraculous system), humans were given the gifts of choice, reason, intelligence, and true love. However, with these gifts comes a higher level of responsibility not found in the animal kingdom. We're wise to use our gifts in a responsible and caring manner.

So are you saying that India should embrace a religion that encourages open, free, and unrepressed sex so that she can become vastly more over-populated than she already is? Not a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with being careful where sexual activity is concerned. Just "having sex" for the sake of "having sex" is irresponsible and on the level of animal behavior. Humans have been given some unique gifts. Over and above the gift of sexual organs (yes, I see that as a gift and a miraculous system), humans were given the gifts of choice, reason, intelligence, and true love. However, with these gifts comes a higher level of responsibility not found in the animal kingdom. We're wise to use our gifts in a responsible and caring manner.

Repressing human sexuality is what leads to problems like rape and violence. This is decades old science. And because the traditional religions are the ones repressing sexuality the most, they're the most to blame.

Article Body Pleasure and the Origins of Violence

If you read nothing else about where violence comes from, read this. Bit lengthy, and it's the magazine 'short' version, but it proves conclusively what's to blame. Isn't all religion, but religion's got its share of the blame.

Looking to convert to Paganism, perhaps?

^_^

People always have a choice.

Even if they are accepting the majority religion around them, they have still chosen that religion.

Still, I would encourage every human being to explore religions outside of what they were raised into.

Even if they are accepting the majority religion around them, they have still chosen that religion.

Still, I would encourage every human being to explore religions outside of what they were raised into.
Yes, people have a choice. However, the demographics regarding geographic location and religious faith are abundantly clear. In some parts of the world, choosing to leave the religion you were born in to can be a capital offense if the wrong people get their hands on you.

Overwhelmingly, people don't choose their version of religion.

Looking to convert to Paganism, perhaps?

^_^
Why not. The notion of an eternity spent with Christians makes me, ummm, (((((SHUDDER)))))

Yes, people have a choice. However, the demographics regarding geographic location and religious faith are abundantly clear. In some parts of the world, choosing to leave the religion you were born in to can be a capital offense if the wrong people get their hands on you.

Overwhelmingly, people don't choose their version of religion.

Yes they do, lol. Even if they are playing follow the leader with their spiritual beliefs.

Even if they are embracing only the religion of the culture around them, which most people ignorantly do, that is still a choice.

Even if leaving that religion is punishable by death, its still a choice to emrbrace it on the inside, as well as the outside.

Even if they never study another religion and only learn from the religion they were raised up in, they have still chosen to embrace that religion, just as they may have chosen not to learn from another religion, or chosen not to create their own religion.

Most people would rather be followers when it comes to religion, which is why most people submit to the religion of the culture around them.

Last edited:
maybe because religion is supposed to raise you above your carnal nature..

and your claim that being sexually self controlled leads to violence and rape is pure nonsense. I've yet to meet someone who is violent or a rapist who didn't live a life completely lacking any attempts at self control

No one offered me a bunch of virgins....
No other religion that I know of offered a permanent sacrifice for the sins of man.
Other religions promise carnal rewards. I'll wait for the religion that offers a sale and I can both, plus a free vegetable chopper if I join in the next ten minutes.

Forum List

Back