If God doesn't exist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found a 2005 poll said something like 60% Americans take the bible literally. Today 23% do. Proof we are evolving
No. That is not proof we are evolving. The last stage of evolution is the evolution of consciousness. It's called the morality progression. Atheists are excluded.
No. That is not proof we are evolving. The last stage of evolution is the evolution of consciousness. It's called the morality progression. Atheists are excluded.

all beings have consciousness, there is no more or less morality for atheist than pseudo religious worshiping a false 4th century book or those honestly believing in an Almighty as the final entitlement is accomplished solely by their ability to distinguish correctly between good and evil. the Everlasting is not without variety.

Ding is suggesting believing in God makes him a better person. The one example is abortion. To us its not murder but it is ending a life. I myself don't think life is that precious we should force women to have a baby they don't want but I'm sure if the Abraham God existed he wouldn't approve.

But heck even Christians get abortions.

All three of them are atheists who are ashamed of admitting they are atheists so they claim to be agnostics or humanists but argue against belief in God at every turn.
Is that what you believe? I thought were smarter than that.

For one, so what if I don't believe in God? Does it make me a bad person? Am I going to hell? Why do you believe belief is important?

And I don't believe a God exists. Nothing wrong with believing that, is there? Also nothing wrong with you believing there is as long as it's not hurting anyone. I believe religion is a lie that's holding us back.

So I'm not ashamed to admit I don't believe. Calling myself an agnostic atheist means I've recognized that in order for me to know a God doesn't exist I would have to be one myself. So anyone who says they are agnostic is just admitting there is no way to know.

So in a way, if you were being honest too, you'd admit you are an agnostic theist because you don't know either.

Unless you believe a religion that claims God visited. Then you might believe God literally wrote the bible. We have members here who believe that.
Yes, I believe that you are afraid or embarrassed to unconditionally admit that you are an atheist even though all you ever do is argue against belief in God. You don't act like an agnostic atheist. You act like an atheist. You don't believe in God. Face it, you are an atheist.
Yes thank you! It's theists that make me have to admit I can't know so I can't truly be an atheist. In that sense I'm just being honest and admitting I don't know. When I say I'm an agnostic atheist I'm being nice and giving in. I'm not being stubborn or acting like I know there isn't a creator.

But everything tells me there is no God. And if there is he didn't visit. He isn't the character that visited Mary mo Jo or moses. He doesn't care if you believe and doesn't send people who don't believe Mary Jo mo or mo to hell. That I'm certain as can be
You don't act like you don't know.

I just found a 2005 poll said something like 60% Americans take the bible literally. Today 23% do. Proof we are evolving

all beings have consciousness, there is no more or less morality for atheist than pseudo religious worshiping a false 4th century book or those honestly believing in an Almighty as the final entitlement is accomplished solely by their ability to distinguish correctly between good and evil. the Everlasting is not without variety.

Ding is suggesting believing in God makes him a better person. The one example is abortion. To us its not murder but it is ending a life. I myself don't think life is that precious we should force women to have a baby they don't want but I'm sure if the Abraham God existed he wouldn't approve.

No. What makes people better people is not rationalizing they are doing right when they are doing wrong.

Aren't you an atheist?
All three of them are atheists who are ashamed of admitting they are atheists so they claim to be agnostics or humanists but argue against belief in God at every turn.

For one, so what if I don't believe in God? Does it make me a bad person? Am I going to hell? Why do you believe belief is important?

And I don't believe a God exists. Nothing wrong with believing that, is there? Also nothing wrong with you believing there is as long as it's not hurting anyone. I believe religion is a lie that's holding us back.

So I'm not ashamed to admit I don't believe. Calling myself an agnostic atheist means I've recognized that in order for me to know a God doesn't exist I would have to be one myself. So anyone who says they are agnostic is just admitting there is no way to know.

So in a way, if you were being honest too, you'd admit you are an agnostic theist because you don't know either.

Unless you believe a religion that claims God visited. Then you might believe God literally wrote the bible. We have members here who believe that.
Yes, I believe that you are afraid or embarrassed to unconditionally admit that you are an atheist even though all you ever do is argue against belief in God. You don't act like an agnostic atheist. You act like an atheist. You don't believe in God. Face it, you are an atheist.
Yes thank you! It's theists that make me have to admit I can't know so I can't truly be an atheist. In that sense I'm just being honest and admitting I don't know. When I say I'm an agnostic atheist I'm being nice and giving in. I'm not being stubborn or acting like I know there isn't a creator.

But everything tells me there is no God. And if there is he didn't visit. He isn't the character that visited Mary mo Jo or moses. He doesn't care if you believe and doesn't send people who don't believe Mary Jo mo or mo to hell. That I'm certain as can be
You would have to be a God yourself because God could be anywhere in our universe or even outside our universe tending to his other potatoes in his garden of universes.

The point I want to make is it doesn't matter if you believe because that kind of petty God is soooo man made. If there's a god be nice and you'll have a conversation with him in the end.

Funny thing is I will confidently defend myself when I meet your God. You'll be embarrassed for jacking off not me.

And I'm not a thief murderer or liar.

Well, I've lied. 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Given your behavior I'm going to have to disagree with you.

You would have to be a God yourself because God could be anywhere in our universe or even outside our universe tending to his other potatoes in his garden of universes.

The point I want to make is it doesn't matter if you believe because that kind of petty God is soooo man made. If there's a god be nice and you'll have a conversation with him in the end.

Funny thing is I will confidently defend myself when I meet your God. You'll be embarrassed for jacking off not me.

And I'm not a thief murderer or liar.

Well, I've lied. 2 out of 3 ain't bad
Good luck with that.

No. What makes people better people is not rationalizing they are doing right when they are doing wrong.
Sorry but lots of Christians get abortions too. So many of them that we made it legal despite what the religious right says about it being murder.

I think you know the difference between these women and real murderers

Sorry but lots of Christians get abortions too. So many of them that we made it legal despite what the religious right says about it being murder.

Are you making a two wrongs makes a right argument?

But that's exactly what religion does. You say you don't take the bible literally but that's a lie. You tell little children God sent his son and he performed miracles and was reserirected. You tell them this story as if its a fact. You think you are doing the right thing but you are wrong.

What makes you think getting an abortion is wrong? I mean I get it that that seed would grow to be a human but whats the problem with removing the seed before it matures?

Republicans are going to do a lot to abortion. Limit the number of clinics that perform them, make it a 2 month cut off, etc.

So if someone removes the seed 5 weeks in, who told you this is bad?

Ding is suggesting believing in God makes him a better person.

and also, for him he believes 4th century christianity are the gods to believe in.

I myself don't think life is that precious we should force women to have a baby they don't want

much the same as the Terrapin hatchlings to the Seagulls along the oceans edge - the Almighty's is a carnivorous Garden.

what since the 4th century is your proudest moment in christian history ...

But that's exactly what religion does. You say you don't take the bible literally but that's a lie. You tell little children God sent his son and he performed miracles and was reserirected. You tell them this story as if its a fact. You think you are doing the right thing but you are wrong.
Your understanding of it 180 degrees to my understanding of it.

What makes you think getting an abortion is wrong? I mean I get it that that seed would grow to be a human but whats the problem with removing the seed before it matures?

Republicans are going to do a lot to abortion. Limit the number of clinics that perform them, make it a 2 month cut off, etc.

Yeah, it's bad. That's why women agonize over the decision.

No. That argument does not work. Does slavery still exist? No. Why not? Because it was based on failed behaviors and error cannot stand. Does Western Civilization still exist? Yes. Why? Because virtue is the greatest organizing principle of men. Despite your beliefs to the contrary, Western Civilization was built on the virtues of Christianity. Unlike failed behaviors, successful behaviors lead to success. The proof is in the pudding.

What you're saying is that they were more apt to conquer, in the name of their God, and force people to believe or get tortured and die. Or go into slavery. Yes, Christianity had MUCH success in that... That is NOT a good thing...

Honestly, you should be ashamed about it, and praying to God daily to forgive you for those sins by your ancestors, that you continue to promote and ejaculate upon us. You should feel very guilty. But that's no reason to accept fiction as reality.

The vikings did the same exact things that you praise Christianity for doing. Why no love for the Vikings and Valhalla?

And virtue was not created by Christianity. Virtue means goodness. And like I said in rule #1, religion did not create goodness. That is a trait that most of us inherently have, due to natural selection. It's religion that makes us go against that goodness...
I could use religion to make a terrorist or I could make someone into mother Theresa using religion. Either way I could lie and create a religious person.

Do I need religion to make a good person? No. In fact lots of Americans raise good people without religion.
This is what I believe a world devoid religion would look like... Their religion is socialism which worships big government and social policy. It is based on atheism and deification of man. It proceeds in almost all its manifestations from the assumption that the basic principles guiding the life of an individual and of mankind in general do not go beyond the satisfaction of material needs or primitive instincts. They have no distinction between good and evil, no morality or any other kind of value, save pleasure. Their doctrine is abolition of private property, abolition of family, abolition of religion and communality or equality.

As I already said, Socialism is a religion that is very closely related to two Christian religions, one of which we have a holiday for, minus the "god". The goal of socialism is
to get to Communism, rather than Heaven. And of course, the goal is unattainable, but people are forced to strive and obey their rulers regardless, and the rulers keep making more money and power, while never letting the truth be known.

Socialism intentionally denies examination. In fact there is no formal defined dogma. Instead there is only a vague, rosy notion of something noble and good, of equality, communal ownership, and justice: the advent of these things will bring instant euphoria and a social order beyond reproach. World socialism as a whole, and all the figures associated with it, are shrouded in legend; its contradictions are forgotten or concealed; it does not respond to arguments but continually ignores them--all this stems from the mist of irrationality that surrounds socialism and from its instinctive aversion to scientific analysis. Socialism dismisses its defeats and ignores its incongruities. The genesis of the first socialist doctrines were reactions: Plato as a reaction to Greek culture, and the Gnostics as a reaction to Christianity. They sought to counteract the endeavor of the human spirit to stand erect, and strove to return to the earthbound existence of the primitive states of antiquity. Socialism is diametrically opposed between the concepts of man held by religion and by socialism. Socialism seeks to reduce human personality to its most primitive levels and to extinguish the highest, most complex, and "God-like" aspects of human individuality. And even equality itself, that powerful appeal and great promise of socialists throughout the ages, turns out to signify not equality of rights, of opportunities, and of external conditions, but equality qua identity, equality seen as the movement of variety toward uniformity.

Socialism acts like a religion which worships big government and social policy. It is based on atheism and deification of man. It proceeds in almost all its manifestations from the assumption that the basic principles guiding the life of an individual and of mankind in general do not go beyond the satisfaction of material needs or primitive instincts. They have no distinction between good and evil, no morality or any other kind of value, save pleasure. Their doctrine is abolition of private property, abolition of family, abolition of religion and communality or equality. The religious nature of socialism explains the extraordinary attraction to socialist doctrines and its capacity to inflame individuals and inspire popular movements and condemn respect for any who believe in Christianity. They practice moral relativity, indiscriminate indiscriminateness, multiculturalism, cultural marxism and normalization of deviance. Their hostility towards traditional religions is that of an animosity between a rival religion. They can be identified by an external locus of control. They worship science but are the first to argue against it.

Alexander I. Solzhenitsyn -- A World Split Apart — Commencement Address Delivered At Harvard University, June 8, 1978

The Socialist Phenomenon by Igor Shafarevich

More links?!?

Did you take the time to read them this time, to make sure they're not falsifying your argument? I sure ain't gonna click 'em anymore...

But your reply is EXACTLY what Christianity did. Minus the God part... Think Puritanism and Calvinism as easy examples. I'm not promoting Socialism either, it is equally bad due to coercing people to do bad things in the name of their "God" (god being government in Socialism). And Socialists killed millions of people due to their religion in the 20th century. Just showing you that Socialism is a religion, just as bad as Christianity.

But atheists are not Socialists! Geez...

Just because people are atheist/agnostic, does not make them part of mother Russia! You sound like McCarthy at his peak!

People that are atheist/agnostic simply haven't been fooled by the snake-oil salesmen that have tried to embed themselves into our psyche from birth.

We're rational people, looking at an irrational society of religious lemmings killing each other over supernatural beings, and wondering where this craziness is going to lead us...

And I don't see it leading anywhere "good" for humanity, as it stands right now. I think the Earth could definitely use an "intervention".

Based on your logic, slavery should also be a force for good. Which is understandable, based on the amount of slaves Christianity has created.

Slavery has existed since the beginning of mankind. Most of it was indentured servitude, not forced slavery. You act like this was a Christian invention. I suggest you do some research into just how many slaves were brought to America compared to the rest of the world. I believe it was something like 6%. They were brought here by the British. It was a British institution not a Christian institution. The reason we have race problem today is because back in the 17th century (maybe 18th) a British official wrote a law to prevent mixing of races which spread throughout the colonies. The rest of the world did not do this and allowed the races to mix.

The Greeks justified forced slavery because they believed they were morally superior. The Romans believed that forced slavery was against the Law of Nature but justified it on the grounds of state supremacy. Our Founding Fathers believed that slavery was against the Law of Nature but knew not how to end it at the time of our founding but wrote the Constitution is a way that would lead to its end. I suspect that you have such a poor opinion of America and Christians that you won't believe this either. Why? Because it appears that you believe slavery existed because of Christians.

Slavery was a religious invention, not necessarily a Christian one. But the Christians took full reigns on that one once they got in power, and have been promoting it for about 2000 years.

Which is totally against what the idea of Jesus is about.

But hey, why bother with trivial things like that?

I believe in Jesus as a symbol for goodness. Christianity has not followed the goodness that he represented. And, along with other religions, they have done the most cruel, sickening, and inhumane acts in the history of the world.

That is not what Jesus was about... I hope you can embrace the idea of goodness, without need for a ruler with a whip and financial interests.

I wish you, and everyone here, a Merry Christmas!
The History of Slavery

Again, you paste something without even reading it. Maybe you're hoping that God makes a random link you provide helpful to your cause?

Because if you read a little lower, and down to the section about "The Pope", you will see it agrees with everything I've been saying....

From Ding's link: The History of Slavery

Read down to the point where you get to this:

The Pope
The 15th century Portuguese exploration of the African coast is commonly regarded as the harbinger of European colonialism. In 1452, Pope Nicholas V issued the papal bull Dum Diversas, granting Afonso V of Portugal the right to reduce any "Saracens, pagans and any other unbelievers" to hereditary slavery which legitimized slave trade under Catholic beliefs of that time. This approval of slavery was reaffirmed and extended in his Romanus Pontifex bull of 1455.

Below is a letter, which King Ferdinand sent along with Columbus on his second voyage to Haiti. It was to be communicated to the Taino/Arawak Indians.

The letter:
In the name of King Ferdinand and Juana, his daughter, Queen of Castile and Leon, etc., conquerors of barbarian nations, we notify you as best we can that our Lord God Eternal created Heaven and earth and a man and woman from whom we all descend for all times and all over the world. In the 5,000 years since creation the multitude of these generations caused men to divide and establish kingdoms in various parts of the world, among whom God chose St. Peter as leader of mankind, regardless of their law, sect or belief. He seated St. Peter in Rome as the best place from which to rule the world but he allowed him to establish his seat in all parts of the world and rule all people, whether Christians, Moors, Jews, Gentiles or any other sect. He was named Pope, which means admirable and greatest father, governor of all men. Those who lived at that time obeyed St. Peter as Lord and superior King of the universe, and so did their descendants obey his successors and so on to the end of time.

The late Pope gave these islands and mainland of the ocean and the contents hereof to the above-mentioned King and Queen, as is certified in writing and you may see the documents if you should so desire. Therefore, Their Highnesses are lords and masters of this land; they were acknowledged as such when this notice was posted, and were and are being served willingly and without resistance; then, their religious envoys were acknowledged and obeyed without delay, and all subjects unconditionally and of their own free will became Christians and thus they remain. Their Highnesses received their allegiance with joy and benignity and decreed that they be treated in this spirit like good and loyal vassals and you are under the obligation to do the same.

Therefore, we request that you understand this text, deliberate on its contents within a reasonable time, and recognize the Church and its highest priest, the Pope, as rulers of the universe, and in their name the King and Queen of Spain as rulers of this land, allowing the religious fathers to preach our holy Faith to you. You own compliance as a duty to the King and we in his name will receive you with love and charity, respecting your freedom and that of your wives and sons and your rights of possession and we shall not compel you to baptism unless you, informed of the Truth, wish to convert to our holy Catholic Faith as almost all your neighbors have done in other islands, in exchange for which Their Highnesses bestow many privileges and exemptions upon you. Should you fail to comply, or delay maliciously in so doing, we assure you that with the help of God we shall use force against you, declaring war upon you from all sides and with all possible means, and we shall bind you to the yoke of the Church and of Their Highnesses; we shall enslave your persons, wives and sons, sell you or dispose of you as the King sees fit; we shall seize your possessions and harm you as much as we can as disobedient and resisting vassals. And we declare you guilty of resulting deaths and injuries, exempting Their Highnesses of such guilt as well as ourselves and the gentlemen who accompany us. We hereby request that legal signatures be affixed to this text and pray those present to bear witness for us, etc.

These Papal bulls came to serve as a justification for the subsequent era of slave trade and European colonialism. Although for a short period as in 1462, Pius II declared slavery to be "a great crime". The followers of the church of England and Protestants did not use the papal bull as a justification. The position of the church was to condemn the slavery of Christians, but slavery was regarded as an old established and necessary institution which supplied Europe with the necessary workforce. In the 16th century African slaves had substituted almost all other ethnicities and religious enslaved groups in Europe. Within the Portuguese territory of Brazil, and even beyond its original borders, the enslavement of native Americans was carried out by the Bandeirantes.
The Bandeirantes or "followers of the banner" were Portuguese colonial scouts in Brazil, members of the 16th-18th century South American slave-hunting expeditions, called Bandeiras (Portuguese for "flags"). Their purpose was to capture natives and force them into slavery.

This is directly from the link you provided, ding.

Are you on our side of truth, and acting as a double-agent? :)
Socialism has always sought to subordinate religion even when it was done by one religious group against another. In every single case, socialism was a reaction. Socialists practice critical theory which is the practice to criticize everything you don't believe (i.e. a reaction) to justify what you do believe (i.e. never validated) without having to examine what you do believe.

Again, Christianity has done the same exact thing. Read the excerpt I provided above, from the link you posted, and tell me where the difference lies.

George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

That quote is very true, and is the path where we are headed, once again for the umpteenth time. Another religious reboot of our society....

"Kill 'em all and start over" is not the philosophy we should be following, and definitely not what Jesus wanted. Your religion is no more true than any other of the 25,000 religions in this world. Enjoy your faith, but do not push it onto others and do not judge others for not believing the same thing you do.

We all have to work together if we're going to use science to figure out a way to keep our Earth going with the increasing population, and dwindling resources to provide for our increasing demands. We need to stop thinking that we're "special" based on a religion that we were brainwashed from birth into, and think we "deserve" the cream of the crop due to that religion. We have to learn to co-exist and help each other, rather than find ways to undermine each other.

I don't know how that's going to be possible, with religious fanatics. We need an intervention...

That "intervention" could very well be "God" popping his face onto the worldwide sky and saying "Here I am! Now you know! Believe in <insert religion here> or I will smite you all!"

That would certainly work!!

But a bit more likely would be... aliens arriving and teaching us far more advanced concepts of spirituality and the universe, before we blow ourselves up over petty lies.

Ding is suggesting believing in God makes him a better person.

and also, for him he believes 4th century christianity are the gods to believe in.

I myself don't think life is that precious we should force women to have a baby they don't want

much the same as the Terrapin hatchlings to the Seagulls along the oceans edge - the Almighty's is a carnivorous Garden.

And I would euthanize a severely retarded baby that was just born. But I'm Greek. My Spartan ancestors would have thrown it in the pit of death

They agonize over miscarriages too but their child didn't die. That's why no funeral or burial site

Not so bad they don't go through with it.

And they'd do it again if in the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back