If it is certain the FBI is setting a "lying" trap, how should one behave?

Bootney Lee Farnsworth

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2017
Anyone questioned by the FBI is facing a "making a material misrepresentation" charge. How should one proceed if one legitimately cannot remember details or events?

Will "I don't remember" be sufficient?

Anyone questioned by the FBI is facing a "making a material misrepresentation" charge. How should one proceed if one legitimately cannot remember details or events?

That’s exactly right. It worked well for Reagan. If you think you can talk your way out of a perjury trap you are screwed.

With all the details these guys have to report, it's a wonder they aren't all in jail. So many of them are involved in lobbying and other activities on behalf of foreign governments and the travel....holy shit. But they KNOW it's coming; they have to file this paperwork all the time. So anyone with half an organizational brain cell would keep a running list of where they had been and with/for whom, so they could spit out a detailed report whenever they are required to do so.
I feel bad for anyone who is trying to report this kind of stuff for the first time. I can't remember where I had lunch yesterday. Easy to forget stuff, for real.

that's the great thing about surveillance and replaying the tape!

sir, did you or did you not step out of bounds before you reached the endzone??

umm err, i do not recall............. :laugh:

It really boils down to what the meaning of the word of is, is.

"Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie. I put that envelope under that garbage."

"I can't recall if I laundered tens of millions of dollars I got from Russia."

"I can't remember if I set up offshore accounts to buy multi-million dollar properties in the US."

Yeah, that works. :rolleyes:

With all the details these guys have to report, it's a wonder they aren't all in jail. So many of them are involved in lobbying and other activities on behalf of foreign governments and the travel....holy shit. But they KNOW it's coming; they have to file this paperwork all the time. So anyone with half an organizational brain cell would keep a running list of where they had been and with/for whom, so they could spit out a detailed report whenever they are required to do so.
I feel bad for anyone who is trying to report this kind of stuff for the first time. I can't remember where I had lunch yesterday. Easy to forget stuff, for real.
Hi OL thought I’d stop by today. The ostriches are out in full force!

The reports are different than lying to an investigator. Both are subject to 18 USC 1001 but the former is rarely subject to legal jeopardy if you screw it up. The latter is much more serious. And is prosecuted more frequently. See e.g., the campaign aid who just pleaded out.

The interesting thing to me about today is what didn’t happen. Nothing on Flynn. This tells me that Manafort is fighting them and Flynn might very well be cooperating. I guess we will see. Hope you’ve been well.

"I can't remember if I set up offshore accounts to buy multi-million dollar properties in the US."

Actually it does if there is no paper trail. And even if there is you can say “yes that’s my account but I don’t remember that transaction”. I’m not saying a jury will believe you but if you tell that to a federal agent you are not creating a perjury trap. The thing that is hard for witnesses is to have the discipline to say “I don’t remember” a hundred times. Witnesses in my experience always want to be helpful.

Actually it does if there is no paper trail. And even if there is you can say “yes that’s my account but I don’t remember that transaction”. I’m not saying a jury will believe you but if you tell that to a federal agent you are not creating a perjury trap. The thing that is hard for witnesses is to have the discipline to say “I don’t remember” a hundred times. Witnesses in my experience always want to be helpful.
Well, I can see how a Trump Tard would fall for the line, "I can't remember if I set up offshore accounts to buy multi-million dollar properties in the US."

But anyone with an IQ above 25 would laugh their asses off.

Well, I can see how a Trump Tard would fall for the line, "I can't remember if I set up offshore accounts to buy multi-million dollar properties in the US."

But anyone with an IQ above 25 would laugh their asses off.
Hey the question was how to avoid a perjury trap. I answered that question. You somehow think my answer is political. It isn’t. It’s just an answer. So park your righteousness somewhere else, will you?

Forum List

Back