If Jefferson founded the Republican Party what place do Democrats have in America?

Dragon and I are discussing a belief system, not Constitutional Law. i am trying to find out what he believes and am not finding any success.

The reason you aren't finding any success is because you have a preconceived preferred answer and are rejecting anything else, or trying to transform what I say into something you are more comfortable answering. Which means you really AREN'T trying to find out what I believe.

Last edited:
Jefferson did not found the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln did. It was the Republican Party which pushed for abolition of slavery and equal rights. It was the Democrats who wanted to retain slavery. So much for their claims to equality and the party of the common man.

Jefferson did not found the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln did. It was the Republican Party which pushed for abolition of slavery and equal rights. It was the Democrats who wanted to retain slavery. So much for their claims to equality and the party of the common man.

If you are talking about the Democratic Party as of the 1860s, you are right. If you are talking about the Democratic Party today, you are wrong. Same with the GOP.

The Democratic Party between the Civil War and the Great Depression was a party of Southern white male voters. Democratic presidential candidates always won the South, and could win the White House only when they managed to take some of the normally Republican territory (the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast) from them. In order to retain its hold on the South, the Democratic Party adopted positions on racial equality that were moderate at best and outright racist at worst, which made taking those Republican states harder.

That began to change for the Democrats in the 1930s, and completely changed as of the mid-1960s. It began to change for the Republicans in the late 1960s, and has completely changed today.

Today, the Republican party is a party of Southern white male voters. Republican presidential candidates always win the South, and can win the White House only when they manage to take some of the normally Democratic territory (the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast) from them. In order to retain its hold on the South, the Republican Party has abandoned its traditional commitment to civil rights and racial equality, and today adopts positions on these issues that are moderate at best and outright racist at worst, which makes taking those Democratic states harder.

The parties, in short, have completely exchanged places.

Today, the Republican party is a party of Southern white male voters.

of course that's perfectly idiotic and 100% liberal given:

1) The Republican Party controls the House which represents the entire country

2) today the Republican Party is the party of freedom and liberty from big liberal government just as it was when Jefferson founded it in 1792 while Democrats spied for Stalin, were hung for it, and are generally without the IQ to understand freedom.

Really, it would seem they have little place in America given that their ideas about big government are the opposite of the basic Constitutional idea of limited central government formalized by our founders.

FDR was really the first liberal Democrat and his New Deal was mostly leftist inspired, not America inspired, as his choice of Henry Wallace, Alger Hiss and the others would indicate. Now they have Obama who had two communist parents and voted to the left of Bernie Sanders. How can we conclude that Democrats are anything but a genuine Trojan Horse on American soil? I have yet to hear an answer to this.

Andrew Jackson founded the Democratic party, along with Aaron Burr. The dims go back to the early 19th century.

Jefferson did not found the Republican Party,

5th Congress (1797-1799)
Majority Party: Federalist (22 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (10 seats)

Other Parties: 0

Total Seats: 32

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Congress (1799-1801)

Majority Party: Federalist (22 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (10 seats)

Total Seats: 32

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7th Congress (1801-1803)

Majority Party: Republican (17 seats)

Minority Party: Federalist (15 seats)

Vacant: 2

Total Seats: 34

Andrew Jackson founded the Democratic party, along with Aaron Burr. The dims go back to the early 19th century.

Well that gets complicated. Jackson hated central government with a passion, but it was the first time the Party was called the Democratic Party. I think its safe to say both parties were generally patriotic and anti-government until the communist inspired New Deal

It depends on which Republican party you're talking about. The current GOP doesn't trace it's lineage back to the Democratic-Republican party, and you can probably find that if you read further down that Wiki article. The current Republican party was formed in the 1860's.

Interesting.

Then how did Lincoln run as a Republican in 1846?

Jefferson's Republicans faltered over the questions of slavery and Indians. Jackson's democrats were pro-slavery and sought genocide of the Indians. (dims haven't changed much!) The Republicans morphed into the Whigs, then back into Republicans. Lincoln was a Republican, then a Whig, then a Republican, never changing stance nor backers - because they were the same thing. The Whigs couldn't get a grip on slavery, so the Abolitionist Republicans became dominant.

Jefferson founded the Republican party.

Zachary Taylor led the move from Whig to resurgent Republican. Lincoln was following Taylor's lead.

It depends on which Republican party you're talking about. The current GOP doesn't trace it's lineage back to the Democratic-Republican party,

Why would it when it can go back to 1792 and Jefferson to find its name(Republican) and philosophy( freedom) . Also, you're own Wiki quote says there is "no known use" of the term Democratic-Republican in the 18th Century.

You need to think before you post.

Dragon and I are discussing a belief system, not Constitutional Law. i am trying to find out what he believes and am not finding any success.

The reason you aren't finding any success is because you have a preconceived preferred answer and are rejecting anything else, or trying to transform what I say into something you are more comfortable answering. Which means you really AREN'T trying to find out what I believe.

Then please state what you believe in a succinct, clear statement.

If you are talking about the Democratic Party as of the 1860s, you are right. If you are talking about the Democratic Party today, you are wrong. Same with the GOP.

The Democratic Party between the Civil War and the Great Depression was a party of Southern white male voters. Democratic presidential candidates always won the South, and could win the White House only when they managed to take some of the normally Republican territory (the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast) from them. In order to retain its hold on the South, the Democratic Party adopted positions on racial equality that were moderate at best and outright racist at worst, which made taking those Republican states harder.

That began to change for the Democrats in the 1930s, and completely changed as of the mid-1960s. It began to change for the Republicans in the late 1960s, and has completely changed today.

Today, the Republican party is a party of Southern white male voters. Republican presidential candidates always win the South, and can win the White House only when they manage to take some of the normally Democratic territory (the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast) from them. In order to retain its hold on the South, the Republican Party has abandoned its traditional commitment to civil rights and racial equality, and today adopts positions on these issues that are moderate at best and outright racist at worst, which makes taking those Democratic states harder.

The parties, in short, have completely exchanged places.

The only defining traits of either party are completely based on race?

Again? (Sigh.) Very well. Liberalism is a political philosophy defined by the core value of the liberty and well-being of the common person, as opposed to the aggrandizement of the rich and powerful. Everything flows from that, given a particular set of material circumstances.

Dragon thinks you should take the time to discover what he believes. He shouldn't need to explain his position to you. You should wake up each morning and ask yourself; "What can I do today to make life better for Dragon?"

Dragon is a narcissist - which goes hand in hand with being a communist. Dragon truly believes himself better qualified to run your life than you are.

Again? (Sigh.) Very well. Liberalism is a political philosophy defined by the core value of the liberty and well-being of the common person, as opposed to the aggrandizement of the rich and powerful. Everything flows from that, given a
particular set of material circumstances.
100% stupid and liberal!! empty idiotic rhetoric.

conservatism is defined by liberty from the rich and powerful. What did you think the Revolution was about. Was King George rich and powerful?

Again? (Sigh.) Very well. Liberalism is a political philosophy defined by the core value of the liberty and well-being of the common person, as opposed to the aggrandizement of the rich and powerful. Everything flows from that, given a particular set of material circumstances.

Apply this to the Affordable Care Act and please address the impact of the idea of the mandate as it affects liberty.

The only defining traits of either party are completely based on race?

Once again, your words, your thoughts, not mine. Try again.

Your words:

"If you are talking about the Democratic Party as of the 1860s, you are right. If you are talking about the Democratic Party today, you are wrong. Same with the GOP.

The parties, in short, have completely exchanged places."

What are the party beliefs you described that are not race related?

Dragon thinks you should take the time to discover what he believes. He shouldn't need to explain his position to you. You should wake up each morning and ask yourself; "What can I do today to make life better for Dragon?"

Dragon is a narcissist - which goes hand in hand with being a communist. Dragon truly believes himself better qualified to run your life than you are.

He has said this repeatedly as we have discussed this and I am waiting for him to realize what he's saying.

As with most Liberals, he sings of Liberty while building the jails for those he hates.

Again? (Sigh.) Very well. Liberalism is a political philosophy defined by the core value of the liberty and well-being of the common person, as opposed to the aggrandizement of the rich and powerful. Everything flows from that, given a
particular set of material circumstances.
100% stupid and liberal!! empty idiotic rhetoric.

conservatism is defined by liberty from the rich and powerful. What did you think the Revolution was about. Was King George rich and powerful?

It's really astonishing that the Liberal sees the government as the agent that will penalize the successful simply because they are successful.

It is the basic tenet of their belief system.

It is astonishing.

Forum List

Back