If Saddam was the leader..

Saddam would be arming these insurgents with nuclear, chemical and biological weapons if Obama had first been elected in 2000.

nope

Was Saddam a 20 yr state supporter of terrorism? Yes.
Did Saddam have a WMD program? Yes.
Did Saddam have ambitions to be like Saladin? Yes.
So why do you think (and I use the term loosely as normal cogitation is beyond you) he would have been content to sit in Baghdad?

you need to take a bazooka to your face. Seriously stop it with the Assad crap.
No this isnt about loving Saddam, its about realities, and that means facing the truth that Saddam didnt let this happen, you were told this would happen if you removed him. You didnt listen as usual, and now you have this mess.

fuck off.

Plas you are so testy. The enema didn't work?

bazooka to your face

You know I love you more than my cowboy boots. I love you Plas. Honest . :eusa_angel:

How long were we occupying Japan before we left them to administer themselves, how long did we occupy Germany before we left them to administer themselves, we are still occupying S. Korea to maintain their existence....WE should have occupied Iraq, after Gulf War I, let the Kurds have their territory, and took Iraq's oil CONTINUALLY for payment of our services, our continued protection of their people, and payment to the multiple thousands of families that lost loved ones fighting for that people freedom. All other details could have been worked out, and with our presence on ALL ME borders, and our sophisticated spy system, in place, OBL would have been a footnote in history, as well as Al Qaeda!

We could not have occupied Iraq after the first war; the Arab allies would have abandoned us, period.

We could have after II, but the Bushies did not commit the resources to do that.

False equivalency, little buddy.

Do some research.

Saddam would be arming these insurgents with nuclear, chemical and biological weapons if Obama had first been elected in 2000.

nope

So why do you think (and I use the term loosely as normal cogitation is beyond you) he would have been content to sit in Baghdad?

neat....why dont you go over to Iraq then.

td, no one knows if it is the Baghdadi. Flat fact.

Let's stay in the facts.

How long were we occupying Japan before we left them to administer themselves, how long did we occupy Germany before we left them to administer themselves, we are still occupying S. Korea to maintain their existence....WE should have occupied Iraq, after Gulf War I, let the Kurds have their territory, and took Iraq's oil CONTINUALLY for payment of our services, our continued protection of their people, and payment to the multiple thousands of families that lost loved ones fighting for that people freedom. All other details could have been worked out, and with our presence on ALL ME borders, and our sophisticated spy system, in place, OBL would have been a footnote in history, as well as Al Qaeda!

We could not have occupied Iraq after the first war; the Arab allies would have abandoned us, period.

We could have after II, but the Bushies did not commit the resources to do that.

False equivalency, little buddy.

Do some research.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEsZMvrq-I]Cheney '94: Invading Baghdad Would Create Quagmire - YouTube[/ame]

I have and Cheney was WRONG... We did not need other Arab countries, we needed the UK, France, and that would have been all that was necessary, as it was in Afghanistan! Nice to know you can't see the outcome, even after the fact! :eusa_clap:

If Saddam was the leader in Iraq today, it's very unlikely terrorist would be marching toward Baghdad and the US would be faced with the choice between another major military commitment or another Islamic terrorist state.

Saddam Hussein was a brutal dictator who ruled the country with an iron fist. Through force he was able to control if not unite the dissent elements. His Secret Service infiltrated every political group and movement in the nation.

Today the central government is a weak coalition of political forces more interested in human rights, appeasing various politic factions and rebuilding the nation than defense. The Secret Service whose primary objective was to prevent and insurgence is essentially gone. The military is ill equipped to deal with the attack and the central government doesn't have the power to united the nation.

Elimination of Saddam may have been morally the right thing but a disaster in all other ways. What is happening today is exactly what so many opponents of the war predicted.

You're right, that does seem unlikely. More likely that he would be the aggressor, invading his weaker neighbors like Kuwait. Power hungry megalomaniacs tend to do that. It's unclear whether that would have been preferable.
The biggest problem in Iraq today is a lack of unity. The government is spitting apart at the seams which was certainly not the case when Saddam was in power. He ruled that country with an iron hand. He would have wiped those insurgents off the map along with with the towns they occupied.

The lesson this country should learn from Iraq is a democratic form of government cannot survived without it's citizens putting aside deep seated religious and cultural difference in order to unite the nation. In America, we were lucky in that we did not have to contend with centuries of religious hatred and violence nor were we surrounded by nations eager to take advantage of ever misstep. The dreams of the Bush administration of a democratic form of government friendly to the US in the midst of dictatorships and religious ideologies that hate this nation and all it stands for is just beyond understanding.

We are now left with a choice of another military commitment in Iraq to prop up the government or allow the establishment of another Islamic terrorist state.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Saddam was a megalomaniac who used his Secret Service and Royal Guard to root out insurgents and any challenge to his authority. His Ba'ath Party was secular in nature and he had no liking for Islamic fundamentalist.

The Bush administration attempted to link him to al-Qaeda to rationalize the war. The consensus of intelligence experts has been that any contacts between Sadaam and the al-Qaeda never led to any operational relationship, and that consensus is backed up by reports from the independent 9/11 Commission and by declassified Defense Department reports as well as by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

We succeed in our goal of removing a ruthless dictator and an enemy of the US. It's ironic that today we need just such a person to hold the country together.

nope

Irrelevant..so are the Saudis.
Not really. .we knew what he had and the U.N was doing a fine job. Sanctions were working.
Irrelevant..

If Saddam was the leader in Iraq today, it's very unlikely terrorist would be marching toward Baghdad and the US would be faced with the choice between another major military commitment or another Islamic terrorist state.

Saddam Hussein was a brutal dictator who ruled the country with an iron fist. Through force he was able to control if not unite the dissent elements. His Secret Service infiltrated every political group and movement in the nation.

Today the central government is a weak coalition of political forces more interested in human rights, appeasing various politic factions and rebuilding the nation than defense. The Secret Service whose primary objective was to prevent and insurgence is essentially gone. The military is ill equipped to deal with the attack and the central government doesn't have the power to united the nation.

Elimination of Saddam may have been morally the right thing but a disaster in all other ways. What is happening today is exactly what so many opponents of the war predicted.

Yea.. experts like these that HELPED prolong and kill 4,000 troops and unlike Europe/Asia where after 70 years we still have 140,000 troops these same "experts" practically held the door open for these terrorists!
Ignoring the fact a Harvard study showed comments like the below enboldened terrorists, these "experts" ignored the US military's request to leave 10,000 US troops to train. And the biggest "expert" didn't want the SOFA be signed because Obama wanted the troops out... because he wanted the troops out!

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid(D) "The war is lost, the surge is not accomplishing anything "

U.S. Rep. John Murtha(D) "Our troops killed innocent civilians in cold blood,”

Senator Kerry (D) "American soldiers going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children."

Durbin (D) "must have been done by Nazis, Soviets"--action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners.
Senator Obama said "troops are air-raiding villages and killing civilians,"

No doubt life in Iraq has improved. However, the ability of the government to deal with the situation seems very limited without US involvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The USA can't deal with an unarmed invasion across its southern border and yet we are to expect those who hate freedom to be stopped immediately by the Iraqis? What the hell it ain't over yet and let us not forget who is behind all of this, a guy that Obama released from captivity.

Whose to say how many MORE of his own Countrymen Saddam would have slaughtered with WMD? The Kurds love GWB for saving them from Saddam. Freedom isn't free let's wait and see if the Iraqis are willing to pay the price.

An interesting look at Iraq would be to look at the number of suicide bombers or car bombs during the last 6 months that Saddam ruled (prior to the invasion) and the last 6 months now that "democracy" has taken hold.

Something tells me that there wasn't any suicide bombings when Saddam was still in power. And in the last 6 months there has been many many suicide or car bombings.

But some of us Americans still think that the Iraqis are better off after we invaded and destroyed their country.

I doubt most Iraqis feel that way.

Eventually the Iraqi's will find ANOTHER Saddam. That is the type of leader the Iraqis deserve and need from what I can tell. They hate each other.

You can make the argument that if Saddam was still ruling Iraq we wouldn't have the situation we have today you can also make the argument if we had worked out a deal to extend the status of forces agreement we wouldn't have it either.

Of course if nothing was done things would be different but no one knows if different would have been better. Better to live in fear under a vicious dictator or live in fear under freedom? The Kurds seem to choose the latter.

An interesting look at Iraq would be to look at the number of suicide bombers or car bombs during the last 6 months that Saddam ruled (prior to the invasion) and the last 6 months now that "democracy" has taken hold.

Something tells me that there wasn't any suicide bombings when Saddam was still in power. And in the last 6 months there has been many many suicide or car bombings.

But some of us Americans still think that the Iraqis are better off after we invaded and destroyed their country.

I doubt most Iraqis feel that way.

Eventually the Iraqi's will find ANOTHER Saddam. That is the type of leader the Iraqis deserve and need from what I can tell. They hate each other.

Of course not, if you remember Saddam was paying suicide bombers to bomb elsewhere. Besides a theocracy lead by a madman is preferable to radical Muslims then is freedom.

Yep.

It would also be unlikely that Iran would be flexing its muscles as it is.

We ignored the unintended consequences of our military actions, again, and it has cost us dearly.

I find it hard to believe how racist are some people. People who are outright saying that ME people can't live under freedom as if too backwards to want to live at least with the freedom to vote. Seems a bit racist to me that some people have absolutely no problem dropping bombs on brown skinned people at the whim of the CIA nor that they think enough of them that they don't want to live free.

I find it hard to believe how racist are some people. People who are outright saying that ME people can't live under freedom as if too backwards to want to live at least with the freedom to vote. Seems a bit racist to me that some people have absolutely no problem dropping bombs on brown skinned people at the whim of the CIA nor that they think enough of them that they don't want to live free.

And I find it hard to believe that you are not in Iraq.

You know how we have missionaries spreading the gospel without the government being involved?

That's what you and your kind need to do. Form a "missionary" to spread the word and benefits of "freedom". Without the government of the USA being involved.

Can or will you "freedom lovers for Muslims" do that?

Yep.

It would also be unlikely that Iran would be flexing its muscles as it is.

We ignored the unintended consequences of our military actions, again, and it has cost us dearly.

If we were to keep on crippling Saddam what would Iran be worried about? I think you assume too much. Iran is growing in power not because Iraq seemingly has become weak. The real problem is that it is impossible to make nice with a theoaracy such as is in Iran. You would think they would be very thankful to the USA for removing a threat to their border and a sworn enemy but I really don't think we can deal with religious driven governments very well. What we really could have done is enlist the support of those countries that feared Saddam and were more then happy to have the USA carry the water.

Iran is the mouse the roared for now. Whatever they say their power is limited to regional just like it was with Saddam. They fought a costly war with Saddam and there is no saying that would not have happen again. No one knows.

Forum List

Back