If State Legislators/Governor Won't Enact Rent Control, Vote Them Out

We've been through this topic before. However, that wasn't when I received a $96/month rent increase. For seniors, retired and barely surviving on Social Security and a pension, rent increases like $96/month (I just received one), are devastating & demoralizing.

Here we are looking for ways to increase our income, cut our costs, and along comes the dear landlord with a $96/month takeaway (less than a month advance notice).

This is like going put on the street and being mugged for $96, once a month, every month, ongoing.

People, stop crabbing about gas prices. Stop crabbing about food prices, clothing, cell phones. Those are all trivial compared to your MOST EXPENSIVE, CONSTANTLY ONGOING EXPENSE, which is HOUSING. Gas, food, et al stuff isn't going up $96/month.

You get a letter stuck in your door whining about "operational costs", and just like that, your annual operational budget is $1,152 less. Of course this letter doesn't specify what these so-called "operational costs" are, nor offer any proof that they even exist. For all we know this rent increase might be nothing more than somebody (who we never see, don't know their name) wanting more money to buy something like this >>
View attachment 928464
There is only one way to top this madness. Republicans & Democrats need to join together and enact rent control (with roll backs to 2015 levels). Over the last few years, I have seen housing rents skyrocket like nothing before in my lifetime. I moved twice to void massive rent increases, but they keep on coming, with nothing stopping them.

I recommend we call "our" state legislators & governors, and demand rent control laws, with no increases above $50/month allowed. If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.
It does suck when rent rises, but you have to take into account that poor fiscal policy on the federal level causes inflation, which raises the price of nearly everything. A landlord’s job is offering their property for rent. If they want a raise to cover the higher costs of gas/food/etc, they raise the price of renting their property. Burger King raises the price of hamburgers when the government mandates a $20/hr minimum wage, too. That’s the price of short term liberal feel-good policies. Advocating the government putting a cap on what they can charge is shifting the burden to the landlord when the party ultimately responsible for inflation is the government and its printing of fiat currency and over regulation of the private sector.

It does suck when rent rises, but you have to take into account that poor fiscal policy on the federal level causes inflation, which raises the price of nearly everything. A landlord’s job is offering their property for rent. If they want a raise to cover the higher costs of gas/food/etc, they raise the price of renting their property. Advocating the government putting a cap on what they can charge is shifting the burden to the landlord when the party ultimately responsible for inflation is the government and its printing of fiat currency and over regulation of the private sector.
With the monstrous rental rates of the past few years, it is inconceivable to see landlords as needing rent increases (like $96/mo).

That's what has been happening, but it wouldn't make a difference if the proper rent control laws were in place.
If worms had machine guns, birds wouldn't fuck with them....Rent control isn't in place, and is unlikely to be at any point that will be of any benefit to you.

With the monstrous rental rates of the past few years, it is inconceivable to see landlords as needing rent increases (like $96/mo).
My rent went up $85 a month in January, so I understand your concerns. I still think your blame is misplaced. Inflation is the problem, not greedy landlords. The truth is, if you don’t own your own home, you are at the mercy of your landlord and the parameters of the rental agreement you signed. The sad fact of the whole situation is that you really aren’t allowed to actually own a home. If you think differently, try not paying property tax. The government is the problem, not the solution.

You think that their costs don't go up, like the costs for your groceries have?
No, I DON'T think that their costs have gone up to where they need to raise rent from $600/mo to $1,400./mo

Or raise $918 rent to $1014.

AND....so what if they DID need to raise the rent a lot ? Their need is no greater than the need of the tenant to have their rent remain where it was. Why should they get preference ?

Last edited:
Florida, lol, but I am a damn yankee. Never tried to change Florida or anyone around me when I moved here 33 years ago like other damn yankee's.
I've been here 35 years, and there's a few things I would change. One is get rid of ALL the alligators and pythons, and put them in the Rio Grande.

It does suck when rent rises, but you have to take into account that poor fiscal policy on the federal level causes inflation, which raises the price of nearly everything. A landlord’s job is offering their property for rent. If they want a raise to cover the higher costs of gas/food/etc, they raise the price of renting their property. Burger King raises the price of hamburgers when the government mandates a $20/hr minimum wage, too. That’s the price of short term liberal feel-good policies. Advocating the government putting a cap on what they can charge is shifting the burden to the landlord when the party ultimately responsible for inflation is the government and its printing of fiat currency and over regulation of the private sector.
People can stop buying Burger King hamburgers, but they can't stop having a roof over their heads.

If worms had machine guns, birds wouldn't fuck with them....Rent control isn't in place, and is unlikely to be at any point that will be of any benefit to you.
Various things have been labeled "unlikely", only to come to pass later.

No, I DON'T think that their costs have gone up to where they need to raise rent from $600/mo to $1,400./mo

Or raise $918 rent to $1014.
$918 to $1014 is an increase that is below overall inflation...I'd be grateful it hadn't gone up more.

AND....so what if they DID need to raise the rent a lot ? Their need is no greater than the need of the tenant to have their rent remain where it was. Why should they get preference ?
Your * opinion* as to what anyone else * needs* is irrelevant.....Everyone's costs have gone up, deal with it.

Various things have been labeled "unlikely", only to come to pass later.
Keep huffing on that hopium.

More aid to Israel, Hamas must be exterminated 100%.
help for Ukraine too, but no defense of ther borders without defense of ours first,
17. $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic (the most ever),
45. the Navy hospital ships sent to New York,
46. the stimulus checks,
41. rebuilt the US military to a $721 Billion/yr budget

Forum List

Back